AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-12-20, 23:35   Link #21
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
Actually, my assertion was that whom has no place in a script unless the character (or song) in question is using intentionally formal language, which seems to be exactly what you do as well. I have already stated why I don't believe the song is in any way trying to be formal, so I'll leave it at that.
I think our disagreement is mainly a matter of extent, actually: I would leave in "whom" unless it's blatantly obvious that the character is speaking with intentionally bad grammar or _highly_ informally; you appear to be saying that you'd leave it as "who" unless the character was being anally formal. That was the distinction I was trying to make with my original post... (and no, I don't usually edit when I'm as sleep-deprived as I was at the time of the writing of that -- and this -- post.) My apologies if I was not clear enough. And if we are agreeing to a greater extent than I realize, then... oh well. Correct me.

This is basically a pointless argument, however, and I will drop it. I think both of us agree that in the end we'll just go with whatever sounds right to us in the context of the given line, and few will complain, even if our preferences may be slightly different.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 16:14   Link #22
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
Best of luck there. I've yet to see an anime where a character spoke in old English.

... n00b. :P
Yet again, I don't make any sense. What I meant what, is I interprit a character as speaking in a formal way and we're working on a anime set in a older or fantasy enviroment I might toss in a few older English words (allthough fantasyish spech is in no way my best style of writing, I do a lot better with sci-fi heh).

Quote:
I think our disagreement is mainly a matter of extent, actually: I would leave in "whom" unless it's blatantly obvious that the character is speaking with intentionally bad grammar or _highly_ informally
Don't you mean highly FORMAL? The only time I can think of off hand when whom would be used is a Judge, in a court. I'm feeling really tired right now, so I cant be bothered to think of an example. I don't know where you come from, but I don't even remember the last time I heard whom actually being said in real life.

Actually, I don't have any more points I really want to rample on about, except:

Quote:
As much as I hate doing this, I actually have to agree with Anime-Blitz
Thanks, yeah. I'll buy you a drink some time.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 22:17   Link #23
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Awesome, free booze!
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote