AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-04-13, 06:21   Link #21
DragonOsman
Dragon King

If the site moves to a server outside the US, will it still be possible to access it in English for free and without a VPN?

As for paying a new server: shouldn't they try to get a back-end web developer onto their team somehow and ask him/her to take care of the server-side stuff so they don't have to pay a penny (if back-end programming can do that)? I'm thinking of learning back-end after I've done everything I can to learn front-end, so maybe I'll be able to help (although my main goal is to build a portfolio site to put any software I make into so that people would hire me for freelance work as a programmer - I'm still learning, though, both web development and programming (C++)).

I hope moving to another server will also mean they can bring back any series they'd already taken out before, like Sword Art Online. If we can still access the site in English, it'd be great to be able to read those LNs there. Same for Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, too.
Old 2016-04-13, 10:07   Link #22
Variabug
Professional Lurker

As far as I know, yes. It would pretty much be like you going to a foreign website, nothing to crazy.The same goes with the language, the data would be stored in a different place, but as far as I know nothing would really change. With the developer bit they would still probably have to pay more in comparison to hosting on an American server because they would still need to pay the developer to maintain the site. I'm not 100% knowledgeable on those types of logistics but any way you look at it, they would have to pay. How much in comparison to the current hosting I don't know. If you could get in contact with the mods or some independent dev and talk the logistics of a switch we could get a better idea, but as of right now I don't have enough personal knowledge of the subject to say anything concrete. Makes this one of those times I wish I was a computer science or engineering major.
Variabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 15:33   Link #23
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Yeah, I guess the language should stay the same as long as the developers make sure of it. As for whether or not they'd have to pay or how much they'd have to pay, I guess we'd have to ask a computer science major about it. Point taken.
Old 2016-04-13, 15:57   Link #24
KnightShade

the next DMCA sperg has begun, kadokawa just took down amaburi and two others from ND. they are clearly are going after all the fantrans whether they plan to publish via bookwalker or not.

i just emailed trans-kun so hopefully he's up to date on the situation.

Last edited by KnightShade; 2016-04-13 at 16:09.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 18:46   Link #25
Variabug
Professional Lurker

I know they went after Oreimo with Baka Tsuki last time, but Saekamo and Amaburi are brand new. Now again, this might mean that they will try and release official English versions, but they could also be asses and taking down translations because they can.

Looks like BT needs to change their server quick or else things will go to hell real quick.

I read the post regarding the server cost, and the current owner stated that him having flagrant copyright issues is against his job, thus he would need someone else to pay for the site. He said that it was around $20/month to host the site while he would probably still manage it overall. Also, I do know that translation for series taken down have been relegated to smaller communities rather than large projects, which means that the series are still going and can be uploaded to the site. But again, I don't know BT's policy on reuploading content taken down through DMCA, if they have such a policy at all.
Old 2016-04-13, 19:50   Link #26
Krudelu
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
the next DMCA sperg has begun, kadokawa just took down amaburi and two others from ND. they are clearly are going after all the fantrans whether they plan to publish via bookwalker or not.

i just emailed trans-kun so hopefully he's up to date on the situation.
guess this is a wake up call. dunno how ill be able to contact most trans-kuns out there but gotta make suggestions to every trans-kuns out there (for other series as well) before a big move happens :/
Krudelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 05:49   Link #27
DragonOsman
Dragon King

High School DxD might never be Licensed, though. The manga has already been Licensed, and yet there's no sign of that happening to the LN yet. But still, just to be safe, we should definitely keep suggesting a move to a server where the translators won't have to worry about DMCAs.

And speaking of Licensed LNs, someone who's going to move to a different server needs to consider picking up Gakusen Toshi Asterisk after Setsuna drops it. Unless Setsuna himself decides to move to a different server and keep translating it there (that's unlikely, though, since he's already decided to pick up another series after dropping Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, and we wouldn't want to suggest to him to increase his work load too much as that would be unfair to him).

@Variabug: So B-T might really move to a server with which they won't have to worry about DMCAs? I really hope so. It seriously needs to happen.
Old 2016-04-14, 10:45   Link #28
Variabug
Professional Lurker

That was based on what they said during the incident in December. However I really think that they need to move now to make sure another event like that doesn't happen. The biggest issue will be finding a person or a way to pay the $20 every month to host the site. With the way things are going it might be the best way to make sure the site survives. I'm pretty sure they know, it just depends on what they think will happen.
Old 2016-04-14, 10:55   Link #29
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
@Variabug: So B-T might really move to a server with which they won't have to worry about DMCAs? I really hope so. It seriously needs to happen.
Sorry to disappoint you, but (if I remember correctly) while BT want to move it's server, they will still be complying to DMCA.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 12:28   Link #30
KnightShade

just got done talking to trans kun. he's already planning on moving to another host should something happen. for now things can settle down.

Last edited by KnightShade; 2016-04-14 at 12:43.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 12:40   Link #31
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

The DMCAs allways will be there . You just have to find a host in a country that DMCA doesn`t hold such an influence . And so many translators retire from this "battle"
I wonder if the DCMAs can be avoided if the site can become privat . Lets say like i dunno the DRRR chat?
Old 2016-04-14, 16:02   Link #32
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Yeah, I guess if it's impossible to escape from the DMCA hammer completely, the best alternative would be to move to a site hosted in a country where DMCAs don't have that much influence.

By the way, I just got a reply from Setsuna after I'd emailed him. He asked me if I know how he should move his site from Wordpress to another host or server. Anyone have a good answer?
Old 2016-04-14, 16:16   Link #33
Wade Wilson
Banned

I know 4 translators, one of them is a friend and other is very well known among the community. DMCA's are always going to mess with their work ONLY if they post on sites/forums/servers on USA. If they move their work to another place located outside the jurisdiction where the DMCA applies then there is no problem.

Now regarding BT there is a huge problem, not beause where is located the server (which is a problem as we know) is because the amount of titles they're working is huge and that always bring the attention of anyone who works with the same titles, technically and legally speaking DMCA shouldn't be a problem if they move the server to another place but that's just matter of what is the admin gonna do.

And for the ones asking if moving the transations to another server or place not covered by this DMCA should work, the answer is yes, laws have territorial application and only work inside certain country, they can't interfere outside the border limits of the country. At best they can send a "warning" if the translators do a mistake, like certain scanlation group who went to jail for working licenced titles.
Wade Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 16:41   Link #34
KnightShade

Quote:
Yeah, I guess if it's impossible to escape from the DMCA hammer completely, the best alternative would be to move to a site hosted in a country where DMCAs don't have that much influence.

By the way, I just got a reply from Setsuna after I'd emailed him. He asked me if I know how he should move his site from Wordpress to another host or server. Anyone have a good answer?
tell him to talk to zx via his email. as a matter a fact i'll give a hand
Old 2016-04-14, 16:50   Link #35
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Will this be a good thing to say?
Quote:
Zxzxzx, the guy who’s translating High School DxD from a Chinese source on his blog, should know how to do the move to a different server outside the US, so you should try asking him. Kidstandout said he might help out with the talk or whatever
Old 2016-04-14, 16:51   Link #36
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

He can make a backup , install wordpress on another server and from there he just have to upload the backup and he is done . The only problem i think he will have is the menu links , they must be edited manually .
Old 2016-04-14, 16:56   Link #37
KnightShade

Quote:
Will this be a good thing to say?
yeah thats fine
Old 2016-04-14, 17:05   Link #38
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I just sent him the email. And just now, when I went to Zxzxzx's site, I found that it's down for maintenance because he's moving it to a different server. Good news, neh?
Old 2016-04-14, 17:21   Link #39
KnightShade

Quote:
I just sent him the email. And just now, when I went to Zxzxzx's site, I found that it's down for maintenance because he's moving it to a different server. Good news, neh?
good news indeed!
Old 2016-04-14, 20:06   Link #40
Variabug
Professional Lurker

So that's one problem out of the way. The next thing is to hope that BT does the same.