AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-04-11, 23:01   Link #1
Variabug
Professional Lurker

Crunchyroll and KADOKAWA buy 51% Yen Press

Link to the reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighschoolD...nto_strategic/

This is some pretty big news in terms of DXD. Probably the biggest is that KADOKAWA owns Fujimishobo, who publishes DXD. With both companies under their control and the popularity of DXD outside of the US, it could very well be possible that DXD will be officially licensed and translated. The downside is that the series will be officially licensed and translated. Meaning that Baka-Tsuki will no longer be able to host the DXD translation. If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.

The more realistic possibility is if we move the translations from Baka-Tsuki to an site hosted outside the US that has different copyright laws, allowing ZX to continue translation without worrying about take downs in the near future.

Personally, I, with different people on the Reddit page seem to hope DXD will be licensed at some point after the series is concluded and the fan translation is done, which will give us time to copy and save it while we buy the actual physical copies to support the series here in the U.S.

My recommendation is that we at least start preparing for the series to be licensed and to take the necessary steps to ensure out ability to enjoy the as it comes out in Japan.

Anyway, that's just my feeling. What about everyone else?
Variabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 23:22   Link #2
Hakai

Well, fuck.
Old 2016-04-11, 23:28   Link #3
Krudelu
???

well maybe let the fan translator (zx) know bout this and lets see what will be translator's response to it? from there maybe we can plan sumthin out of it?

Last edited by Krudelu; 2016-04-12 at 00:58.
Krudelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 00:34   Link #4
Variabug
Professional Lurker

/extranull/
Old 2016-04-12, 00:43   Link #5
amtro
Distro

4-6 years? Please. We're talking 8-10 at least and that is only to catch up to current events.
The only silver lining here is that DxD may not live up to their standards for publishing, both linguistically and content wise.

Last edited by amtro; 2016-04-12 at 03:31.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 01:51   Link #6
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Yeah that's some really bad news, I seriously hope that such an undertaking might be to lengthy and costly to perform
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 07:33   Link #7
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Zxzxzx has said on his blog that he'll move his site to a server outside of the US that doesn't have to worry about DMCAs and all that other stuff. I just hope we'll all still be able to access it in English even then, otherwise it'd just suck. But hopefully, DxD won't be Licensed (at least until the fan translation are done with and we've all already read them).
Old 2016-04-12, 11:09   Link #8
Variabug
Professional Lurker

That's good for future releases. The biggest thing will be Code-Zero's work because he hasn't been active for nearly a year, dunno if we should get permission from him if he can even be contacted at this point. I know that more popular licensed series like SAO use out of US sites to host their content so they can stay up to date with the releases in Japan.

I think the biggest deciding fact at whether DXD will be translated is the large SJW/Feminist campaign against media portraying women in "sexist" ways. Depending whether DXD is large enough to warrant attention from them or if KADOKAWA and Yen Press are willing to risk the mob coming after them if they do start to protest against its release in the west. While DXD seems to have a fairly healthy english fanbase due to the anime and sites like Baka-Tsuki the overall climate for these types of series in the U.S. is negative, or at the very least the perception for these types of media is negative. It will all be based on whether DXD has a large enough reward for its release compared to the risk of media and twitter bashing. Only time will tell.

However, not everything is doom and gloom. This would mean that DXD can be streamed on Crunchyroll as well as more DXD merch being available in the U.S. Also, having physical copies of the series (even if they are inferior in comparison to the fan translations) would be nice to have in my library as well as the images being translated. ZXzxzx has also stated on Reddit that he's probably going to move his site to a different host country so he won't have to deal with DMCA, which means that we'll still have our fan translations as well.
Old 2016-04-12, 15:27   Link #9
KnightShade

i really doubt code zero is coming back at this point. but him and the other dxd trans(ex, dx) should consider grouping up with zxzxzx and hosting all their stuff in the same place(s)
Old 2016-04-12, 15:31   Link #10
Wandering Soul

[QUOTE=Variabug;5826574 If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.[/QUOTE]

4-6 years sounds optimistic. I would honestly say somewhere around 8 years to catch up.
Old 2016-04-12, 15:35   Link #11
Sacredus

First discussion here: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...99#post5825799

And topic title is wrong. KADOKAWA bought 51% of Yen Press and started partnership with CR, not CR and KADOKAWA bought YP. Just saying.

Anyway, this doesn't mean that they will licence DxD right away, if even they will do that. YP now have easier way to acquire licenses but I doubt they will use it this right away - there're still limit titles than they can handle at same time. So there's nothing to wory about, at least until DMCA would drop (they we will be in situation "they DMCA'ed it but that means they want to release it or it will be another DAL?").
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 15:58   Link #12
Gary29
Not Bennia Lover

Doesn't seem really worrisome if you ask me.

Zx doesn't intend to be deterred by DMCAs last I heard, the only other issue is contacting the previous translators to re-host their work (even then, PDFs aren't too hard to attain right now). I would assume the most this will do is unite the DxD translators (and anyone working with them) more.
Old 2016-04-12, 16:05   Link #13
KnightShade

^honestly, all the trans should be doing this now just as a precaution. once a DMCA arrives, you're on their radar. it's better to think two steps ahead. after the DMCA sperg last december, they should be prepared for the worst...
Old 2016-04-12, 22:25   Link #14
Ariel_Saeba
Oppai Enthusiast

Well, it's not like it hasn't happened for a long time (it has in Asian countries like Indonesia and Philippines, mostly with long-runner series).

I agree with amtro and Variabug though. Should YP decides to take the licence, keeping up their translation with the current volumes (not including the 5+ future volumes) will take a very long time, at least 8 years (AT LEAST, if YP decides to go with a regular trimester release. The story will be different if they choose to release it monthly or bi-monthly).

In addition, DxD is one of those series with a very specific niche, which may cause biased view if the original LN is introduced to the more mainstream readers not used with DxD's ecchi and harem portion.
Old 2016-04-13, 00:12   Link #15
Krudelu
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
^honestly, all the trans should be doing this now just as a precaution. once a DMCA arrives, you're on their radar. it's better to think two steps ahead. after the DMCA sperg last december, they should be prepared for the worst...
also I think even though the trans already came up with an idea, I think we should be able to give them more suggestions (if we can somehow contact em...) even though theres no foreshadowing of this type of event just in case shit like this happen sometime in the future. This way, we may be able to have them keep up on continuing on.
Krudelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 00:33   Link #16
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variabug View Post
Link to the reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighschoolD...nto_strategic/

This is some pretty big news in terms of DXD. Probably the biggest is that KADOKAWA owns Fujimishobo, who publishes DXD. With both companies under their control and the popularity of DXD outside of the US, it could very well be possible that DXD will be officially licensed and translated. The downside is that the series will be officially licensed and translated. Meaning that Baka-Tsuki will no longer be able to host the DXD translation. If that happens, it will take somewhere around 4-6 years for the LN translations to catch up to the fan translations, unless by some absolute miracle Code-Zero and ZX could contact Yen Press and work with them to modify their translations to YP's standards and have them published at a faster rate.

The more realistic possibility is if we move the translations from Baka-Tsuki to an site hosted outside the US that has different copyright laws, allowing ZX to continue translation without worrying about take downs in the near future.

Personally, I, with different people on the Reddit page seem to hope DXD will be licensed at some point after the series is concluded and the fan translation is done, which will give us time to copy and save it while we buy the actual physical copies to support the series here in the U.S.

My recommendation is that we at least start preparing for the series to be licensed and to take the necessary steps to ensure out ability to enjoy the as it comes out in Japan.

Anyway, that's just my feeling. What about everyone else?
not really worry in my case, sure the partnership is starting, and Kadokawa is rich, however, i doubt Kadokawa would sink money into YP to push for more publication since they do not own YP completely yet and US preferences is differ from JP, too much risk. Famous one might get more chance, but Dxd genre is too much of a hit and miss. The things that might happened is that rather than LN, a lot of Manga would flow into the market.

As for YP themself, YP do not have the capital necessary to eat what Kadokawa can offer, the Joint venture might allow this to happen, though one should note about the profit and loss in the case of going global with product like novel.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 00:34   Link #17
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krudelu View Post
also I think even though the trans already came up with an idea, I think we should be able to give them more suggestions (if we can somehow contact em...) even though theres no foreshadowing of this type of event just in case shit like this happen sometime in the future. This way, we may be able to have them keep up on continuing on.

agreed. imma talk to zx about that on the sub-reddit
Old 2016-04-13, 00:53   Link #18
Variabug
Professional Lurker

Also, does anyone know what Baka-Tsuki themselves think of this? I remember hearing that they where thinking of moving their host to another country after the last incident, but I don't remember if they ever did. If I recall correctly the biggest issue with a switch would be paying for the server. Personally if I where them I would take some precautions as they have three other Kadokawa series (Slayers, Tasogareiro, and Tokyo Ravens) currently hosted on their site. Although Tokyo Ravens is the only one that seems to have any kind of activity at the moment. While nowhere near the same level as the previous one, having to deal with any kind of copyright at this point would be bad for the site, especially if someone decides to go further and do legal action.
Old 2016-04-13, 01:09   Link #19
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variabug View Post
Also, does anyone know what Baka-Tsuki themselves think of this? I remember hearing that they where thinking of moving their host to another country after the last incident, but I don't remember if they ever did. If I recall correctly the biggest issue with a switch would be paying for the server. Personally if I where them I would take some precautions as they have three other Kadokawa series (Slayers, Tasogareiro, and Tokyo Ravens) currently hosted on their site. Although Tokyo Ravens is the only one that seems to have any kind of activity at the moment. While nowhere near the same level as the previous one, having to deal with any kind of copyright at this point would be bad for the site, especially if someone decides to go further and do legal action.
Like 90% of series on BT
Dengeki Bunko, Famitsu Bunko, Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Sneaker Bunko/Kadokawa Shoten and MF Bunko J are all Kadokawa labels.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 02:11   Link #20
Variabug
Professional Lurker

Ah, I only found links to the Fuji part of the company so I didn't have a full list to go by. Not enough research on my part. But the point still remains, they should begin their own process of moving the site to another host as to avoid any future DMCA. I don't know if that would mean they would be able to reupload series that where taken down previously like DAL and Mahouka. Not exactly privy to their rules. I seriously doubt that the owner and mods are unaware of the buyout, but I think it might be a good idea to voice our concerns for their sake as well.