Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-02-26, 18:53   Link #81
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
And regardless whether he did it for self satisfaction or not it was still right thing to do.
If everyone else in the story is telling you you're wrong its probably because you're wrong.
Quote:
Also Seika has no obligation reciprocate anyone feelings no matter how much others are pushing him to.
Nobody told him that, though. Every time I debate with you I wonder if we're watching the same series.

More broadly though the choice between joining the prince's harem or being Seika's slave isn't much of a choice, and Seika isn't actually offering to set her free otherwise. I don't think I can even count 3 isekai series where a protagonist actually set their slaves free without conditions. The impression he's giving is that she's just not desirable or competent or whathaveyou, especially after the scolding he gave her.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 19:05   Link #82
Tenzen12

Why they told him that? Because it would hurt her feelings. Why it would hurt her feelings? Because she love Seika. I don't think there is anything controversial conclude that much. Seika implying that he don't find her desirable is honest way to answer these feelings anything else would mean giving her false hope.

And this episode pretty much confirmed he is not just willing to let her choose what she want to do with her life, but also that he actively prepare her for time where she will be independent.

Edit: Also Seika if anything seems to consider himself her guardian and there is no parent that never told their kid "Do what I tell you"

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-02-26 at 19:27.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 19:15   Link #83
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Did you miss the scene early on where he publicly demanded she withdraw so he could spend time with Amu?
Did the little detail that the mission is likely to be beyond Eva, who is only above average, not some kind of cheat prodigy, escape you?
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 19:55   Link #84
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Why they told him that? Because it would hurt her feelings. Why it would hurt her feelings? Because she love Seika. I don't think there is anything controversial conclude that much.
Delicacy is a thing... that Seika is not capable of because he's a sociopath.
Quote:
And this episode pretty much confirmed he is not just willing to let her choose what she want to do with her life, but also that he actively prepare her for time where she will be independent.
You're the one who said he doesn't treat her like a slave... except for all the times that you conveniently ignore.
Quote:
Edit: Also Seika if anything seems to consider himself her guardian and there is no parent that never told their kid "Do what I tell you"
He does treat her like a parent somewhat but the reality is that she's still a slave with no future independent of Seika unless he hands her off to someone else. That's the crux of the "option" Seika is giving her. She can't really have her own ambitions (beyond romance with Seika) without freedom -- which isekai generally don't do, so they probably will end up romantically involved eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Did the little detail that the mission is likely to be beyond Eva, who is only above average, not some kind of cheat prodigy, escape you?
Okay? I don't care about his motivations here, only his actions. At the end of the day Yifa IS his slave and him treating her as such isn't exactly noteworthy, unless you're one of those people trying to pretend Seika is somehow a noble slaveowner or something like Tenzen.
Old 2023-02-26, 20:26   Link #85
Tenzen12

- While he is clearly not sociopath (he's not impulsive nor agressive and generally stick to rules), yes he is either unable or unwilling be delicate and in this case it's perfectly fine.

-Saying that she has no future outside of being someones slave, but there is no evidence for that. She is extremely talented with magic that itself she may have bright future as freeman would she decide to leave and for that all she need is say word. Seika listen to her. If he treated her as slave he would either just give her to prince or refused him without even consider her opinion, but he asked her. As for becoming princes concubine it's not "only option" outside being slave, but it's certainly one of biggest opportunities in her life that might not come ever again.

also I don't think he can be considered "noble slave owner". He isn't really noble person and he seems pretty neutral on slavery as institution. His relation with Yifa is uniqe and not representative of his attitude toward slaves . I don't think he would actively buy any or that he would abuse any if he got them, but I also certainly don't think it's probable he would be willing help random slave get education, teach them magic or free them with no string attached if they asked.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-02-26 at 20:39.
Old 2023-02-26, 21:18   Link #86
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
-Saying that she has no future outside of being someones slave, but there is no evidence for that. She is extremely talented with magic that itself she may have bright future as freeman would she decide to leave and for that all she need is say word.

I'm not sure what planet you're from because that sentiment has no basis in either human history or 99% of isekai trash but I'm now curious if you can name more than 2 or 3 isekai where the protagonist owns slaves and actually frees them of his (or her) own volition. Other than Sugar Apple Fairy Tale because current season stuff is too easy.
Quote:
His relation with Yifa is uniqe and not representative of his attitude toward slaves .
If you want to say he's paternalistic or if you want to give him points for not being abusive (neglect is its own sort of abuse but I digress) that doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day its a master/slave relationship. IDGAF about the institution of slavery nor does it matter to this discussion, what matters is that his relationship with Yifa still has a massive power imbalance because she is his slave. Its really sort of twisted that he expects her to assert herself there.
Old 2023-02-26, 21:36   Link #87
Tenzen12

Again how does what other and completely unrelated isekais do with slaves matters here? This isn't Shield Hero or Isekai Mekyuu. Anyway naming more then three would be difficult, though I may be able put together exactly three if I tried. It would be probably easier if I actively didn't avoid this kind of content as I find it bad taste.

There is huge power inbalance because He is Adult and she is kid that adores him. It's same inbalance as between teacher and student or Parent and child, but it's not like between master and slave and this episode pretty much proved it. Slaves don't get to choose.
Old 2023-02-26, 22:02   Link #88
Rasty

Quote:
Also Seika has no obligation reciprocate anyone feelings no matter how much others are pushing him to. If anything telling him to not to do that was much more selfish.
I agree that he has no obligation to reciprocate, but he should acknowledge them. "Giving her a choice" in this case is definitely lacking in any delicacy as it completely disregards her obvious intentions. It's similar to getting confessed by a girl and your reply is "No idea what you mean, but hey, I just remembered John wanted to f**k you, so wanna give him a try?"

Also, don't forget that she considers herself his slave (though I don't think he treats her as one, more like something between his daughter and servant), so his "don't you want to" pretty much seams like a weak order to her.

I find Seika's behavior a hit-and-miss. Sometimes he acts standoffish, but OK and logically, yet in the next episode he acts like an absolute idiotic jerk. Btw., this episode was of the second type, while the previous few were of the first for me (not because of the "giving choice", but overall behavior, mostly the scolding and overall disregard for her).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 22:03   Link #89
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Again how does what other and completely unrelated isekais do with slaves matters here? This isn't Shield Hero or Isekai Mekyuu. Anyway naming more then three would be difficult, though I would be able put together exactly three. It would be probably easier if I actively didn't avoid this kind of content as I find it bad taste.
You're the one who seems to think its normal for a slave to nonchalantly be set free to pursue other interests, I'm really curious where the fuck you saw such a thing. Only the one example would have been fine but I brought up earlier that I couldn't even think of three so I figured I'd go for broke. In 99% of isekai that I've seen (including Shield Hero and Meikyuu) even if the protagonist offers a slave freedom when they die the slave will be like "I want to die with master!!!111" I fully expect Yifa will say something similar down the road.
Quote:
There is huge power inbalance because He is Adult and she is kid that adores him. It's same inbalance as between teacher and student or Parent and child, but it's not like between master and slave and this episode pretty much proved it.
IMO what this episode actually proved is that Seika is the least mature in the series emotionally by far.
Old 2023-02-27, 03:55   Link #90
Tenzen12

I don't think it's "normal", but just because something isn't common doesn't mean Seika isn't willing or able do it. That said I do agree Yifas feelings holds her back and she would probably do exactly what you said. Also while lack of empathy is certainly flaw, I don't think it's same as being emotionally immature.

Anyway I think you might like Exterminator, while it's far from masterpiece (it's pretty standard braindad fun isekai), way protagonist deals with slaves is exactly what you looking for.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-02-27 at 04:07.
Old 2023-02-27, 08:32   Link #91
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I don't think it's "normal", but just because something isn't common doesn't mean Seika isn't willing or able do it.
Based on what though, wishful thinking? Seika has said absolutely nothing about freeing her, and without any context of freedom its obvious that she's going to think he wants to be rid of her. Which is why EVERYONE ELSE IN THE SHOW tells him not to fucking do it. Even if he means well all he's doing is sending mixed signals and taking half measures.
Quote:
Anyway I think you might like Exterminator, while it's far from masterpiece (it's pretty standard braindad fun isekai), way protagonist deals with slaves is exactly what you looking for.
I don't actually mind slavery as long as its unapologetic like Isekai Meikyuu; to me stuff like Realist Hero with comic relief Carla is way more offensive and/or tone deaf.

Last edited by stray; 2023-02-27 at 08:42.
Old 2023-02-27, 09:26   Link #92
Tenzen12

In this very episode he offered her to be released from slavery. It's not wishful thinking if there is already set precedent. And Yifa misunderstanding things on her own is really her problem. Seika is very consice with his wording all time

As for others, they are wrong. It's really as simply as that. Yifa having hurt feelings is still better then being denied lifetime opportunity or misunderstanding their relationship due him being vague.
Old 2023-02-27, 10:38   Link #93
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
In this very episode he offered her to be released from slavery.
He didn't offer to release her from anything, he offered to hand her over to the prince.
Old 2023-02-27, 12:29   Link #94
Tenzen12

He offered her, he would let her became prince's oncubine if she wish so. "Handing over" would imply had no say in that, but Seika explicitly asked her what she want (that's why you called him asshole, remember?)

If royal concubine isn't free noone is. Heck she could probably start killing people for fun and get away with it.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-02-27 at 12:56.
Old 2023-02-27, 13:27   Link #95
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
He offered her, he would let her became prince's oncubine if she wish so.
Pretty much everyone but Seika knows that's not what she wants. You're completely unwilling to consider what Yifa wants here as well, either ignoring her PoV altogether or saying that Seika is under no obligation to reciprocate. What your entire argument really boils down to is that Seika deserves 'Good Guy' points for essentially abandoning her.
Quote:
If royal concubine isn't free noone is. Heck she could probably start killing people for fun and get away with it.
And now you're back to making shit up from your own headcanon. If you're going to keep throwing out crap like that you have no right to complain about me bringing up other isekai.

We don't know the prince's entire story yet and if she stays with Seika she's staying a slave so any sort of "release" is very, very conditional.
Old 2023-02-27, 14:08   Link #96
Tenzen12

Seika didn't abandon her in any sense of word. All he did is that he treated her as person with free will. What Yifa wants is all that matters in that situation. But you are saying that NOT robbing her of option choose what she wants is disregarding of what she wants. That simply doesn't make any sense.

Yes it's conditional.If nothing else her being able take of herself is one these conditions. And lastly How is that "making shit up" Having power means being able acts on one's desires.That's not matter of fiction, just fact that will be always true everywhere.
Old 2023-02-27, 15:02   Link #97
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Seika didn't abandon her in any sense of word. All he did is that he treated her as person with free will. What Yifa wants is all that matters in that situation.
Seika is NOT giving Yifa something she would actually want, the "option" has to do with what Seika wants for her -- that's why its self serving. He hasn't considered her wants or her feelings at all. If you want to consider him a parent he's basically coercing her into an arranged marriage, and because of the master/slave power dynamic its not something she can easily say no to.

This would be a lot more obvious if you didn't completely disregard the three characters who tried to save Seika from his own stupidity this episode. You might be better off arguing with the author on Twitter or something at this point.
Old 2023-02-27, 17:05   Link #98
Tenzen12

Well, I see where is crux of this disagreement now. If we go with Seika wanting Yifa go angle, all your arguments make sense and it's not impossible character interpretation I guess. I myself never even thought it might be the case.

I rewatched episode, but I still can't see it. Seika not just didn't try pander to prince or made any promise he was blunt and even even borderline rude, he promised Yifa to give prince some stern talking when he made move on her and he did exactly that. He made clear as long as Yifa doesn't want go, there is nothing to discuss. He also seemed genuine surprised when she interpreted his attitude as him wanting abandon her.

Quting his words, when Yifa asked if he even care:
Quote:
I would miss you, but everyone has to choose own path, eventually
He also seems to genuinely think Yifa may want go.
Quote:
If I don't bring it first, she might not be able say she want's to go
Old 2023-02-27, 17:15   Link #99
Strahan

Yea, you'd think a guy who lived to adulthood once already would have some inkling of how women work. It seems pretty obvious to anyone that Yifa loves him, so acting like you don't care if she gets taken my another man would be quite hurtful to her. In his mind he may see himself as noble by acting in what he thinks is her interests, but maybe instead he should've just talked to her and listened to what she wants.

PS and no way in hell would I be leaving her behind while I go for a mountain trip for a few days. Not when Prince Dipshit already tried to call her to his room late at night. I'd be way too worried that he'd pull some crap. I wouldn't trust him, especially with his "he's going to be away a few days" thing. Though not that Seika would know that unless he's reading minds now too heh. My only hope would be for the elf assistant to keep him reigned in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I'm now curious if you can name more than 2 or 3 isekai where the protagonist owns slaves and actually frees them of his (or her) own volition.
I certainly couldn't, and as I happened to be talking to ChatGPT at the time I asked it "Do you know of any anime that feature slaves where the slave owner sets them free?" it gave me five but none of them had protag slave owners who did the right thing. I was actually going to paste its response, but then figured for some of those titles it's kind of a spoiler to reveal that heh.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-27, 17:22   Link #100
Tenzen12

He did ask her for her genuine feelings though. So saying he should talk with her is not completely fair.