AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-08-28, 21:50   Link #221
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

They still need to explain who she was actually......Maria Iscariot etc. All that is known is she onced worked for Gendo and Yui then turned against the former
Old 2021-08-29, 22:25   Link #222
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
They still need to explain who she was actually......Maria Iscariot etc. All that is known is she onced worked for Gendo and Yui then turned against the former
She was a poorly written out of place character that doesn't fit within the tone or style of Evangelion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
^ Hence why we're all saying that pairing is Anno's personal "Eff you" to all the fans who've been shipping either Shinji x Asuka or Shinji x Rei for all these years. A pairing that came out of nowhere and Word of God has made it canon.
More like Anno self-inserting his real-life wife into the story.

Also, it's bad writing and bad storytelling. There was no buildup to Mari and Shinji at all. All of the sudden Mari wants to date Shinji and finds him attractive now! I'll be waiting for you Shinji! I'll find you at the end! It definitely came out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I'm going to go with 15 years precedent over some Anno fan on the internet who really, really wants to believe.But that message isn't actually conveyed anywhere in Anno's work. If there is a message in Thrice Upon a Time its basically "why not get a wife like mine? Isn't she great?" Meanwhile its loaded with fanservice like Asuka walking around naked for no reason, moe Ayanami Rei, and Mari playing with her glasses in Shaft head tilt -- while Anno complains that he has to because of the loser otaku.

I have very little respect for that kind of commentary, or for creators playing the victim of their own success when they aren't really trying anything new. Either fucking own what you're putting out or use your clout and your idle ass studio to do something different. This goes for Anno or anyone else.It did better than Rise of Skywalker at least?

The entire movie felt like it was either fanservice or filling plot holes. I didn't hate it but it was kind of hollow.
One of the more accurate readings of the Rebuild series yet. To me there was nothing blatantly in any of these movies that was like "GET A LIFE YOU NEETS AND OTAKUS!"

Secondly, I don't think Shinji fits some sort of Neet or Otaku profile. Anti-social tendencies sure, but not Neet or Otaku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Yep, he's not over it. He never will be.
It's 2021 and we're still talking about Evangelion and he's still making Evangelion. Yep, I tend to agree with this.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2021-08-30 at 07:41. Reason: Please use the [edit] button to add content to your post instead of triple posting
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-31, 10:36   Link #223
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
It does feel a bit disingenuous. Maybe its image, trying to portray herself as singer-songwriter more than popstar or idol. She was pretty much Yoko Kanno's proté​gé early in her career as well.
I still don't get why singing character songs "in character" would be so damaging to Maaya Sakamoto's career. Now it's likely we'll never get a song out of her as Shinobu from Monogatari. I'll take substance over image in this case, thank you.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-31, 11:51   Link #224
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I still don't get why singing character songs "in character" would be so damaging to Maaya Sakamoto's career. Now it's likely we'll never get a song out of her as Shinobu from Monogatari. I'll take substance over image in this case, thank you.
By 2010, she's able to held a national concert and once sang in Budokan as well.

So rather than damaging its more because she got pride and dignity as someone who managed to achieve it.
Japanese audience already knew about Maaya not into character song following that and Hiroshi Kamiya (Araragi) once get corrected by Maaya on Monogatari Radio Talk for thinking Maaya's voice acting and singing career as one; which Maaya replied with "I pursue something different as Shinobu, so character song (as Shinobu) is a no."
Old 2023-01-05, 07:24   Link #225
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I had to pause the final scene twice to see that random cameo: adult Rei and adult Kaworu together?! Were they the real deal or just judges likes the ones from the End of Evangelion?

Also, the line from 3.0+1.0 that stucked with me the most is that Shinji wanted to create a world without any Evangelion, ending the franchise in the process. Still, I kinda prefer Sadamoto's take on the ending

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2023-01-05 at 07:45.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 11:15   Link #226
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sadamoto’s whole take on the series is very underrated.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-05, 11:37   Link #227
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah, Sadamoto's story is more relatable considering the material.
Old 2023-01-05, 12:23   Link #228
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I guess Sadamoto's ending is closer to End of Evangelion than Rebuild of Evangelion but without that disturbing sensation the first movie had. Ending it with Shinji briefly trying to kill Asuka before his breakdown sure was strange while the manga's Shinji had a new unknown life where he looked forward to his future.
Old 2023-01-05, 15:30   Link #229
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Sadamoto also treated the "Shinji x Kaworu" relationship differently by putting it on the opposite side of the spectrum. Instead of having Shinji quickly & randomly fell in love with Kaworu like in the anime, the manga had Shinji distrusting & disliking Kaworu for being all creep on him. I gotta give Sadamoto credit, he made Shinji acted naturally there towards Kaworu, like a normal person would.
Old 2023-01-16, 09:45   Link #230
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So we are having a miniprequel?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...racter/.193783
Old 2023-01-16, 18:16   Link #231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Eva will never die. It’s the Star Wars of anime - as long as the medium exists it will keep getting riffed on even after the original creator is no longer involved.
Old 2023-01-17, 10:40   Link #232
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Eva will never die. It’s the Star Wars of anime - as long as the medium exists it will keep getting riffed on even after the original creator is no longer involved.
I guess it's like Gundam but UC as the big projects were made by Anno. There are dozens of spinoffs by other authors Shinji and others do a lot of weird stuff but none of those were adapted into anime. Wonder which of those series could be the first alternate Evangelion series.
Old 2023-01-17, 19:15   Link #233
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The Star Wars of anime is Gundam. No two ways around it. Eva kept the same director and same cast through the entire thing and also has a simple timeline. And I personally don't think it's been milked that much compared to other franchises. One series and five movies, that's about it.
Old 2023-01-17, 19:53   Link #234
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There’s been a lot more than that already, but soon enough you’ll see Eva projects with no Anno involvement on a large scale.
Old 2023-01-28, 09:01   Link #235
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Sadamoto also treated the "Shinji x Kaworu" relationship differently by putting it on the opposite side of the spectrum. Instead of having Shinji quickly & randomly fell in love with Kaworu like in the anime, the manga had Shinji distrusting & disliking Kaworu for being all creep on him. I gotta give Sadamoto credit, he made Shinji acted naturally there towards Kaworu, like a normal person would.
Well, Kaworu was creepier in the manga.

Even if Kaworu was a little weird, he was pretty nice in the anime, so it isn't so strange that Shinji (who was feeling very lonely in episode 24) feels comfortable with him. Not to mention that Shinji has already handled weird people (like Rei).

That said, Shinji mentioned he felt drawn to Kaworu in the manga.
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-06, 11:47   Link #236
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There’s been a lot more than that already, but soon enough you’ll see Eva projects with no Anno involvement on a large scale.
Yeah there seems to be going to be a new play but with new actors and characters.