Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-08-03, 23:47   Link #381
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
I also like how real life Kagurasuzu, bells used during the ceremonial dance, were visible on a table when CG for the animated scene was shown on a monitor as part of a different documentary. ... At approximately the 1 minute mark in this clip:
They pull no punches when ensuring authenticity. I'm especially fond of the sound that suzu make. They sound quite similar to sleigh bells, and there's a certain magic about them.
Old 2017-08-04, 10:56   Link #382
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

contemplating getting the collector's edition for the 4K. I hear the HDR really makes the colors POP.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 12:33   Link #383
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

If you have a 4K player and screen, it could be worth your while.
Old 2017-08-04, 14:59   Link #384
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I don't personally, but I know that other people do.
Old 2017-08-04, 21:17   Link #385
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
contemplating getting the collector's edition for the 4K. I hear the HDR really makes the colors POP.
Yeah, pop to oversaturation or look nothing like it was intended to be. If you saw it in theaters, that was the best it will ever look.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 18:00   Link #386
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoguti View Post
Don't link me any ""interviews"" with Shinkai. At this point he's trying his hardest to sell blurays, so he won't speak about the film in a critical light.
Not taking interviews or other "ex cathedra" comments into account for the evaluation whether or not a story works is a valid approach. A work of fiction should be able to stand on its own, after all. We should be able to suspend our disbelief for the duration of the screening ... but ... background information can be useful to come to an educated opinion about the work. Can be useful to establish what the work's creator, the story teller, had set out to communicate to the intended audience. To figure out the emotions Shinkai wished to instil in us before we got up from our seats at the end of his movie.

To me, it sounds like you had already read Shinkai interviews about Kotonoha no Niwa and Kimi no Na wa and had come to the conclusion that Shinkai's comments about his latest film might be used to question your comments regarding this fairytale story.... not just its ending but its intended messages and themes as a whole. It sound like you anticipated being confronted with them.

At one point Shinkai told people to stop watching this film because, in his opinion, Kimi no Na wa, was not as good as people were making it out to be and it was getting more attention than it deserved, in his opinion. Such comments indicate he has been publicly critical of his own work. His comments were ignored by quite a few people who continued - continue- watching his film in large numbers.

I'm going to link you another interview. Regardless of what I wrote earlier in this comment I consider it unavoidable to do so, based on what you wrote. The following is from the LA Times, put online on November 29, 2016: Japan's No. 1 film is playing in L.A. Here's why you should see it:
Quote:
"As their friendship deepens, Taki discovers they also share a link to a life-threatening disaster caused by the impact of a spectacularly beautiful comet. “The film starts,” Shinkai said, “by getting the audience to wonder, ‘What would I do if I switched bodies with a girl?’ and carries them to a place where they’re asking, ‘What would I do if a disaster struck my town tomorrow?’”"
It sounds like you don't think that transition was made successfully but I wish to stress the point that this isn't the only time Shinkai has indicated that disasters threatened places he wanted to preserve in their present state through his work. Record for posterity what he sees and admires around him. He has done so in what has been called a hyper-realistic style of animation. Personally, I think he is quite sincere in these endeavours.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-08-06 at 18:27.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 18:27   Link #387
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Yeah, pop to oversaturation or look nothing like it was intended to be. If you saw it in theaters, that was the best it will ever look.
It doesn't look half bad on a large 100-inch projection screen with surround sound, though...comparable to the theatre quality
Old 2017-08-07, 20:31   Link #388
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Naw, it looks CRISP!
Old 2017-08-07, 22:54   Link #389
Verso Sciolto
Banned

... intended to be...

Quote:
[...] At one point Shinkai told people to stop watching this film because, in his opinion, Kimi no Na wa, was not as good as people were making it out to be and it was getting more attention than it deserved, in his opinion
His own critical remarks -which don't read like false modesty to me- seem to originate in interviews he gave as early as September 2016, when this film started reaching milestones of attendance and box office returns. Examples such as this interview: 超ヒット映画「君の名は。」新海誠監督を直撃してみたら戸惑いまくりだった件, put online there on September 19, 2016

In the English language press Shinkai's remarks were picked up and he reiterated his position in other interviews from which excerpts were in turn published by various online news sites - such as the example with the following provocative and illustrative headline, dated December 27, 2016: Please don’t see my animated blockbuster, says Japan’s ‘new Miyazaki,’ Makoto Shinkai
Old 2017-08-07, 23:10   Link #390
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Naw, it looks CRISP!
Looks amazing whether it's a 50 inch TV, 27 inch monitor or even an iPhone. The 1080p version has been the version to enjoy, but I'm a little curious now: are the 4K versions native 4K or upscales, and if the former, how much more detail is there compare to the standard HD version?
Old 2017-08-07, 23:28   Link #391
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Although it should be quite obvious as a theme Shinkai explores it is odd -to me- how little attention is given -in some conversations- to the serious idea that tradition extends to the way gender roles are depicted, in a humorous way *, and perceived by Shinkai and his audience.

* As Fiachra Gibbons observed:
Quote:
"More than anything, the movie’s motor is the comedy Shinkai extracts from the hilarious gender swap set up, with its running gag of the horrified boy waking up in a girl’s body, and yet unable to stop himself feeling her breasts.

Gibbons quotes Shinkai: “I wanted to talk about the way we see sexuality now but in a funny way.”
It appears crisp.
Old 2017-08-08, 07:28   Link #392
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Looks amazing whether it's a 50 inch TV, 27 inch monitor or even an iPhone. The 1080p version has been the version to enjoy, but I'm a little curious now: are the 4K versions native 4K or upscales, and if the former, how much more detail is there compare to the standard HD version?
The 4K version is upscaled.

You can check out comments below for a more detailed description provided by thee ultimatemegax

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/07...duction-notes/

--

Quote:
... intended to be...

His own critical remarks -which don't read like false modesty to me- seem to originate in interviews he gave as early as September 2016, when this film started reaching milestones of attendance and box office returns. Examples such as this interview: 超ヒット映画「君の名は。」新海誠監督を直撃してみたら戸惑いまくりだった件, put online there on September 19, 2016

In the English language press Shinkai's remarks were picked up and he reiterated his position in other interviews from which excerpts were in turn published by various online news sites - such as the example with the following provocative and illustrative headline, dated December 27, 2016: Please don’t see my animated blockbuster, says Japan’s ‘new Miyazaki,’ Makoto Shinkai
I like Shinkai, but I'm gonna watch this movie as many times as I want lol. The milestones, accolades, and high praise he got around the movie's release obviously overwhelmed him, and it caused him to say some weird things. Totally understandable since not too many people get called "THE NEXT MIYAZAKI", but still. I think he was being too modest and self-deprecating at that time.
Old 2017-08-08, 07:34   Link #393
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
The 4K version is upscaled.

You can check out comments below for a more detailed description provided by thee ultimatemegax

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/07...duction-notes/
That's perfect, thanks, mate. From that description, it doesn't look like the folks watching in native 1080p are missing out on new details in the environments.

Quote:
Although it should be quite obvious as a theme Shinkai explores it is odd -to me- how little attention is given -in some conversations- to the serious idea that tradition extends to the way gender roles are depicted, in a humorous way *, and perceived by Shinkai and his audience.
It is quite obvious you are making things up to sound smarter. Stop. Some things simply aren't relevant to Your Name beyond the unnecessary weight you've given it. Pack it up if you want to discuss gender politics.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2018-05-25 at 09:58.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 15:15   Link #394
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Finally got round to watching it and it was great.

There were quite a few bumps at the start to be honest. The opening monologuing was a bit cheesy (though it made much more sense in context when it was repeated at the end) and I didn't see the need for a TV show style opening music video. It was also a bit weird how in the beginning a scene with Taki waking up in Mitsuha's body for the first time seamlessly switches into the real Mitsuha preparing for school. Until it was confirmed I wasn't entirely sure and kept thinking "man this guy is adapting really well to the situation". But after all that it kept getting better and better and better.

I still don't think this beats 5cm/s (still my favorite Shinkai film and one of my all time favorites full stop.), but it is interesting to see just how different this film is compared to Shinkai's earlier works like 5cm/s. His other films have always been full on dramas with little to no comedy but this one had a lot more comedy to it. And I think the comedy really gave the story and the characters a nice charm (and I think makes the film a lot more approachable to more mainstream audiences). Another difference I found interesting is that the developing chemistry between Taki and Mitsuha was given a lot more attention. In Shinkai's other works, the romance is usually just there pretty instantaneously but here we get to see it grow. One of my favorite scenes was watching the two establish "house-rules" after the other does troublesome things. It was cute as hell to watch them tick each other off yet see them look out for each other. The tone and characterization is so much different compared to something like 5cm/s. To me 5cm/s was pure raw intense emotion, specifically of unrequited love. This may be a weird thing to say but it was the characters emotions and the intensity of their unrequited love that left a bigger impression on me than the characters themselves. Your Name in contrast had more rounded characters (and more side characters) with a much larger variety of emotions. A bit more conventional and maybe not quite as impactful as 5cm/s, but scenes like when Taki and Mitsuha finally got to meet at the crater were still pretty damn powerful. Out of all the Shinkai films I think this one had the most likeable and memorable characters. They were characterized really well (although I couldn't help but notice that Taki seemed more manly when he was in Mitsuha's body than when he was in his own. Intentional?)

Spoiler for spoilers:

[EDIT]

Oh and that Kotonoha no Niwa cameo was great.

Last edited by Haak; 2018-02-10 at 13:33.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 16:24   Link #395
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The magic induced amnesia was a bit contrived (it even had the power to wipe smartphone memory!)
This was the part of the movie where I had to suspend all disbelief: as far as I know, there isn't a single phenomenon that can affect the flash storage on our smartphones and the very neurons in our brains without killing us. Magnetic flux can do horrors to circuits by inducing currents in the board, but his phone seemed to be working fine after the fact, ruling out localised magnetic flux Ultimately, I'd be inclined to say that the ending for Your Name is appropriate given the imagery and themes, rather like how 5 cm/s had an ending appropriate for the themes that movie aimed to convey, so I'm with you in enjoying the ending.

Quote:
I like Shinkai, but I'm gonna watch this movie as many times as I want lol. The milestones, accolades, and high praise he got around the movie's release obviously overwhelmed him, and it caused him to say some weird things. Totally understandable since not too many people get called "THE NEXT MIYAZAKI", but still. I think he was being too modest and self-deprecating at that time.
I wonder, though: if Shinkai is adverse to being compared to Miyazaki (and I wouldn't blame him if he was) because he's looking to create his own style distinct from Miyazaki's – it's a form that works best for him to tell stories with, as opposed to using an approach or style that worked for Miyazaki.
Old 2017-08-08, 16:34   Link #396
Vegard Aune

Quote:
I don't know if it was the subs that I saw but all I heard were vague things like "mostly prevented casualties". It would have been nice if more focus went towards those that didn't make it.
There was a newspaper headline shown that said that there were no deaths. Some people were injured, but nobody died.
Old 2017-08-08, 16:58   Link #397
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ That's much more reassuring, though I would have also liked to have known the extent of those injuries.
Old 2017-08-09, 19:12   Link #398
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
I actually saw this twist before in a sci-fi one shot manga recently and the film reminded me of that.
hmm, which one? you can pm me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 22:40   Link #399
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

preorders for funimation's release begin August 15!
Old 2017-08-10, 00:44   Link #400
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
hmm, which one? you can pm me.
Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. All I can remember is that it was a collection of one shots with sci fi themes. One of them was about a robot that waited thousands of years for their owner to come back even up until the suns (and planets) last dying moments and another was about a girl connected to a humanoid alien lightyears away through dreams similar to Your Name, but when the alien finally reaches Earth it's about a million years BC in a prehistoric Earth