4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-03-19, 12:24   Link #121
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Having never played the game or know much of the characters outside the show, I dunno what you guys are talking about lol.

I will speculate that Akagi's gonna survive this one though. I just feeeel it. Also, who was screaming AKAGI-SAN at the end? Kaga?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-19, 12:34   Link #122
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Having never played the game or know much of the characters outside the show, I dunno what you guys are talking about lol.

I will speculate that Akagi's gonna survive this one though. I just feeeel it.
There are two kinds of ship construction normal ship construction and large ship construction.
The latter takes higher Amounts of ressources and might as well result in a ship you could have gotten via normal construction too.
The ghist is that ships like Thaiho or Yamato are only available via LSC.

For example:
If you want Nagato from LCS you need at least
1500 Fuel 1500 Ammunition 2000 Steel 1000 Bauxite

While you could as well get her from normal construction for
400F 100A 600S 30B

And there isn't even a gurantee either she or Mutsu will actually be the ones to get constructed.

Personal Experience:
Tried building Yamato got Akagi (300F 30A 400S 300B in normal constr).
Getting Akagi can be considered especially bad luck since you actually get her for free from a quest too.

- Haven't done any LSC ever since, and won't try again any time soon.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 05:55   Link #123
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuoh DeltaPlus View Post
I think the reason why the anime staff used Henderson-chan and not Midway Hime for this ep is to avoid controversy with the Western people (especially in Freedomland). The triangular runways of Midway hime will totally cause a backlash, and will result to KC branded as glorifying the IJN.
I'd like to see Western reactions about this.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 06:08   Link #124
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post

I will speculate that Akagi's gonna survive this one though. I just feeeel it. Also, who was screaming AKAGI-SAN at the end? Kaga?
I highly doubt Akagi gonna sink. If the director's previous work on a Nanoha series have taught me anything, he prefers to show his characters snatching victory out of the darkest hour and the deepest despair. Things will look grim but it will be not too grim.
Old 2015-03-20, 06:19   Link #125
novalysis

Then again, Kirisagi sunk....

I think that Akagi is doomed, and it would be used as a further catalyst for Fubuki's growth. Honestly though, Kongo sinking would, I think be even more devastating at this stage for Fubuki than Akagi. Fubuki idolizes Akagi from afar. But Kongo has a far more active role in Fubuki's growth than Akagi ever had, and Fubuki truly knows Kongo on a personal, closer level.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 07:05   Link #126
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kirisagi sinking provides the threat that anyone can sink. It is a needed drama element, otherwise the combat would not have been taken as seriously. No threat of death, means there is a loss of tension in the plot when it cames to a war. When dealing with humans in a war zone, you don't have to have a death because we know they are human and can die. We couldn't know that with the shipgirls unless it happened. Up to that point, a damaged ship was a girl with ther clothing torn, broken equipment, and some dirt on her body. This damage was fixed by taking a long (extremely long fo Akagi) bath, and having magical green fluid dumped in for instant repair. There is no threat with just those in place, save for mayby Fubuki getting eaten by an enemy destroyer. Even then, one that was right in front of her, mouth open, waited a second then aimed a cannon out of its mouth, rather than just eat her.

Having Kirisagi sink, and now having a grave stone for her memory, makes it very possible for others to sink. Akagi's dreams also show this, but because this is Fubuki's story, a sinking in the present is what was needed. Someone Fubuki would know, at least a little bit. Someone that would effect her, or someone she cares about, deeply. That was Kirisagi sinking. It opens up the possibility that Fubuki could sink if she isnt' careful, and gives those massive death flags over Akagi a way to actually happen.

But...It doesn't have to happen. That the threat is there means the drama and tension for the cliffhanger has been served. If next week is the last episode if the series, there is no reason that Akagi needs to sink, just the threat and possibility of it happening is enough to drive the plot and move Fubuki forward. If a future series is planned, would Akagi need to be lost here?

Question: Who was designated flagship of Akagi's group? Akagi, right? Or was it Fubuki? Gamers: If Fubuki was flagship, could she take the hit for Akagi? (out even deflect it like Kongo did defending Fubuki?) Rules lawyers: Can Fubuki's new guns take out a falling bomb?
Old 2015-03-20, 07:51   Link #127
lfhoule

While not a gamer, I can tell you that Akagi is the flagship for the group: after all, it was she that ordered Fubuki and Kongou to stay behind to guide the Main Group to the Carrier Group, and even if Fubuki was the Flag, she's a destroyer with nothing in the way of armor, as opposed to Kongou, a fast battleship. So if Fubuki gets hit with a bomb, she's going to be in a world of hurt, if not follow the same fate as Kisaragi.
Can Fubuki take out a falling bomb? If she's lucky (which, this being anime, anything is possible). But as others have pointed out, we wouldn't / shouldn't be having to answer that kind of question if Fubuki was there in the first place swatting enemy aircraft out of the sky BEFORE they got to drop bombs with her new guns AND Type 94 fire director.
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 08:08   Link #128
Marina2

In game, there is no way to destroy a bomb or a torpedo after they were launched but since this is anime Fubuki may be able to destroy that bomb before it hits Akagi. Still, we didn't see Fubuki around that area, it gonna be the asspull if she appears from nowhere.
Old 2015-03-20, 08:11   Link #129
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is possible that Akagi survives. In her dream she was scuttled. The bomb didn't sink her. She had to be torpedoed because the battle was lost and there was no way they could get her home.

With the others coming, it is possible they might win this fight even with the four carriers crippled. If that is the case, than Akagi can be brought home for repairs.

The twisted ending would be a Level One Akagi joining the fleet after Akagi sinks, and seeing Fubuki react to be being Akagi's senior.
Old 2015-03-20, 08:23   Link #130
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

In that case, this anime is attempting to pull out a deus ex machina in order to undo the losses in the past, to fight against fate in the current timeline. However, such scenario will not go well with people who are savvy of historical accuracy, to think that the fate of the carrier fleet is inevitable in that point and there's no way saving them.

Anyway, let's just say we imagine this as a Fate series.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 08:30   Link #131
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Well, if people wanted an exact reenactment of the battle of Midway, the movie starring Toshiro Mifune and Charlton Heston is still a good watch.
Old 2015-03-20, 08:48   Link #132
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
In that case, this anime is attempting to pull out a deus ex machina in order to undo the losses in the past, to fight against fate in the current timeline. However, such scenario will not go well with people who are savvy of historical accuracy, to think that the fate of the carrier fleet is inevitable in that point and there's no way saving them.

Anyway, let's just say we imagine this as a Fate series.
I'm quite savvy with history, and I am hoping Akagi survives.

There isn't any point in slavishly following history in a sci-fi anime like this one.

Besides, they have already deviated from being in lockstep with history, so I don't see the point in all the kerflaffle.
Old 2015-03-20, 08:58   Link #133
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nobody, not even the staff, confirmed that they will stick to history.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 09:09   Link #134
AC-Phoenix
Detective

In addition to that, they also never outright stated that the Abyssals are US Navy ships.
They might take their place in this battle but thats pretty much it.

So no one can really expect any of the Wo to have Enterprise's luck, to survive a dive bomber putting a direct hit on her without any damage at all (the dive bomb was a dud), nor to survive a Kamikaze directly into the forward flight elevator. - Simply because neither of them is Enterprise.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2015-03-20 at 11:44.
AC-Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 09:19   Link #135
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

I'd suggest you to rephrase your line a bit. You make it sound like it's an undisputable fact that Abyssals are US Navy.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 10:01   Link #136
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
In game, there is no way to destroy a bomb or a torpedo after they were launched but since this is anime Fubuki may be able to destroy that bomb before it hits Akagi. Still, we didn't see Fubuki around that area, it gonna be the asspull if she appears from nowhere.
I don't think that would be an asspull, with Fubuki remembering how things went wrong last time, it made quite obvious that she was going to help the carriers. Just like with Zuikaku and Shoukaku in an earlier episode.

And for hitting the bomb, we already got someone punching a shell away, also something that isn't really in the game.
Old 2015-03-20, 10:19   Link #137
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Nobody, not even the staff, confirmed that they will stick to history.
I'm surprised people still think it will be. Jeez, one sunken shipgirl and everybody thinks it's Uro Gen doing a super-gritty accurate historical enactment of the Pacific War. What's next, Oppenheimer's Abyssal light?
Old 2015-03-20, 11:28   Link #138
basinz123
a Fan of Criken

I really hope that the Abyssals are are not the US navy so that my dream to see Enterprise-san can be a reality someday....
basinz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 11:40   Link #139
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

If they are going to pull off a YuYuYu I'm going to be massively pissed.
Old 2015-03-20, 11:46   Link #140
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by basinz123 View Post
I really hope that the Abyssals are are not the US navy so that my dream to see Enterprise-san can be a reality someday....
They aren't the USN.