AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-22, 11:52   Link #1
Arararagi-kun

Learn to read Japanese

So im sure that I'm not the only one interested in learning japanese for the ability to get content sooner.

Is there a good resource that people have found to learn how to read japanese for manga/light novel purposes?

Otherwise I was hoping that the bi-lingual members of this forum could start a thread and teach/give pointers.
Old 2014-05-22, 11:53   Link #2
hamazura
whatever

i can read katakana/hiragana because i really want to play tales of vesperia and forced to be able to read. i did it in about 3 hours...
Old 2014-05-22, 15:36   Link #3
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Aside from living in Japan? lol, well I'd suggest just throwing yourself into translating whatever it is you want to read. It would be really tough and annoying at first but over time the amount of stuff you have to "learn" per sentence should decrease.
In my case I found it's a lot more efficient to try translating prologues of lns than to learn from textbook after a certain degree, frankly because textbooks don't cover the things I need to know to read a ln. The reverse is true too, if you want to learn japanese for normal conversations I'd learn from a textbook instead.
Old 2014-05-22, 17:01   Link #4
Avenger2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arararagi-kun View Post
So im sure that I'm not the only one interested in learning japanese for the ability to get content sooner.

Is there a good resource that people have found to learn how to read japanese for manga/light novel purposes?

Otherwise I was hoping that the bi-lingual members of this forum could start a thread and teach/give pointers.
You can check out the forums at http://kanji.koohii.com/
I would start by going through the "Remembering the Kanji I" book along with the resources of the above site to first learn the jouyou kanji. At the same time or soon after go through the Genki I and II textbooks or Tae Kim's Grammar Guide that is on the web. You can then graduate to a textbook like Tobira and then the Kanzen Master grammar workbooks N2 and N1. I also used the Core 10,000 Anki deck. Strategies like this one are discussed on the koohii forum. This is the road I followed. I've been studying for about 2 1/4 years. Athough I didn't start reading light novels until about 1.5 years in, I've now read over 20 light novels. Expect to put in a ton of time into this. I've easily spent a couple thousand of hours on studying.
Old 2014-05-22, 18:46   Link #5
LKK

A thread on this subject already exists in the General Chat forum. I am closing this duplicate thread. Please continue further discussion in the existing Learning Japanese thread. Thank you.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Closed Thread