Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 13:24   Link #21
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Wait, the manga's being re-run again courtesy of the OVA? I wasn't even aware that Jump SQ was publishing the manga again...
No, it's due to the live action movie coming out.
It's not a re-run, it's actually a re-make.
In fact, the manga is called Rurouni Kenshin Cinema Version.

And yes, it's by Watsuki.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-04, 23:37   Link #22
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

So is there any value in getting the Jump SQ issue then? Or should I skip on importing it?

I mean does Watsuki at least leave some kind of commentary or anything of the sort in the issue ... that was half the goodness in a RK volume, reading Watsuki's thoughts about the development and creation of his manga.

without even that, I find it a disappointing turn of events to be honest

Oh well, there is the live action movie to look forward to I suppose. It looks to be fun at least.
Old 2012-05-06, 20:09   Link #23
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
No, it's due to the live action movie coming out.
It's not a re-run, it's actually a re-make.
In fact, the manga is called Rurouni Kenshin Cinema Version.

And yes, it's by Watsuki.

Spoiler:
I wonder what Sano and Saito are doing lined up with Banjin and Gein...

And the seemingly new movie villain (I'm assuming) is rather reminiscent of Jinei.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 02:49   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I confess a certain amount of surprise at the negative reaction to the first chapter. It's certainly rushed - but given that it's either loosely or closely tracking the plot of the live-action film, I figured the intro would be a rush job.

Bottom line for me? The art is Watsuki, and it still looks like RK. The interaction among Kenshin, Kaoru and Yahiko is true to form. And the pacing will slow down now that the intros are out of the way. I'm excited to have RuroKen back in the hands of the master, and I'd take Kinema Ban over a hundred Shin-Kyoto Hen any day of the week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 19:13   Link #25
Vicious108

Yeah, it probably helps that Shin Kyoto Hen having been the travesty it was caused my expectations for any new Kenshin material to plummet down to zero, but Kinema Ban was surprisingly enjoyable and true to the spirit of the series. Guess that's the difference a Watsuki instead of an Okada makes.

Obviously I still don't expect anything quite as good as the original run, since it's been all but confirmed to be a short run whose main intent is to promote the Live Action films, but after DEEN's butchering of the series it does feel pretty good to have RuroKen back in the hands of someone who gets it.
Old 2012-05-16, 23:11   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Yeah, it probably helps that Shin Kyoto Hen having been the travesty it was caused my expectations for any new Kenshin material to plummet down to zero, but Kinema Ban was surprisingly enjoyable and true to the spirit of the series. Guess that's the difference a Watsuki instead of an Okada makes.

Obviously I still don't expect anything quite as good as the original run, since it's been all but confirmed to be a short run whose main intent is to promote the Live Action films, but after DEEN's butchering of the series it does feel pretty good to have RuroKen back in the hands of someone who gets it.
That's just it - Watsuki writing (and drawing) makes more difference than all other factors combined. Of course I'm not expecting another Kyoto or Jinchu Arc - but I am getting Kenshin that feels like Kenshin, and I wager this is the only place I'll be getting it this year.

Of course, if the live does big, big dollar, it makes it that much more likely we'll finally see the manga animated to completion.
Old 2012-05-17, 14:41   Link #27
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I am getting Kenshin that feels like Kenshin, and I wager this is the only place I'll be getting it this year.
Most likely, yes.

Quote:
Of course, if the live does big, big dollar, it makes it that much more likely we'll finally see the manga animated to completion.
It's kind of sad that in the past year and a half the Rurouni Kenshin franchise has seen a revival which includes:

- A PSP game.
- An OVA remake of Kyoto.
- A reboot of the manga.
- A Live Action film.

...And not the goddamn animated Jinchu arc, which is what every single Kenshin fan has been begging for all these years.

But as it is, even if (and that's one hell of an if) this attempted revival generates enough money for them to consider a TV series adaptation of Jinchu profitable, I still don't trust the people responsible for the Seisouhen and Shin Kyoto Hen OVAs to be able to get it and do it justice. If only an actually competent studio would rescue the franchise from DEEN's carcinogenic hands... Oh well, I suppose that for now I'll just take solace in Kinema Ban and its actual Watsuki writing.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:47   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

DEEN is doing Sankarea. They are capable. They just need to give the project to a competent writer not named Okada and it'd be fine - just adapt it as close to word for word as possible.
Old 2012-05-31, 06:31   Link #29
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 11:45   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You might be disappointed, as I've seen no indication that Kyoto Arc is going to be part of the movie plot, but we'll have to wait and see.