AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2003-11-23, 07:13   Link #1
Eikichi
Mad Dog Sawamura

(Need Advice) So I am starting to read the Manga

Yea I know, I am starting the manga late..... very late.
At first I didn't want to read the manga because I thought it would ruin the suspense in the anime, but the episodes atm are moving a tad too slow for me.

My question is this: How closely does the anime follow the manga? Is it worth starting from Chapter 1 or should I just start reading from where the anime picks off? And if so ,what chapter does EP 59 align with in the manga?
Eikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 07:23   Link #2
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
The anime and manga follow each other very closely. The number of major differences between the two could be counted on the fingers of one hand. The single biggest difference is the pacing. The manga is somewhat faster because the flashbacks tend to be much quicker to read through. I would still recomend reading it from chapter one (and unless you are on dialup, chances are any source you find for it will have everything, which wont take too long to dl the entire set).

As for episode to chapter matching, Chapter 98 would have been the scene with Naruto and Shikamaru at the hospital when they ran into Gaara, the main fights start in the next chapter, and since I havent seen ep 59 yet, I cant comment on how much of the ep was given over to totally irrelivant filler.
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 08:10   Link #3
Sau
The 1st Jokage

Consider:

1 the fact that the manga comes out every week... just like the anime..
thus after reading all of what is out there.. u will again be waiting week after week

2 For sure the action/suspense is much better when seen animated, but the manga stands for what it is - artwork, if you enjoy manga (or comics -black&white that is-) then only i would recommend going for it

At the end there are 2 types of people who would be in your situation:
1 - Read the manga enjoy it and then love to see it come alive animated and sometimes also enjoy drawing the difference (fillers, anime-manga comparision) just like seeing your faviourate book as a movie (eg LOTR)
2 - Read the manga just to know what will happen, try to enjoy reading.. then feel that you spoiled the suspense when u see the anime...

I recommend you start reading from the last ep you saw.. a few chapters ahead.. then stop and see the anime of those chapters... see how you feel and go about and do what u see is best..
Sau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:47   Link #4
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

basically i would say its not worth starting from chapter one i started wehn the anime was on ~epsiode 49 and i got it fine the anime tends to have one chapter of manga and half an episode of fillers [the whole fillers started at episode 53 before that it was 2 chapters per episode when the fillers started coming i was pissed but you get used to it] the only thing you need to know is that it reads from right to left i was a little confused when i started out. if you search on google you should be able to find some cough*perfectally legal manga for sale*cough
Lee-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 20:27   Link #5
Gaara_
ぬけ人

Send a message via AIM to Gaara_
When I started reading the manga, 56 came out. And I sat down with three songs ready to play, all from matrix reloaded, Burly Brawl, furious angels and mona lisa overdrive. It made reading the manga so cool, just pick a song that fits what is happening, it's so awesome.

Anyways, if you sit down and read you can finish all the manga in a day or two, and then you have to wait, and it sucks but its still cool. because you get to see the animated form of it too.
Gaara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:01   Link #6
archzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara_
When I started reading the manga, 56 came out. And I sat down with three songs ready to play, all from matrix reloaded, Burly Brawl, furious angels and mona lisa overdrive. It made reading the manga so cool, just pick a song that fits what is happening, it's so awesome.

Anyways, if you sit down and read you can finish all the manga in a day or two, and then you have to wait, and it sucks but its still cool. because you get to see the animated form of it too.
lol... or you could to the Naruto music :P haha that fits better than nything else :P

i read the manga... i think i started last week actually... i started from chapter 100 and got up to 193 in just 3-4 days i think... call me lifeless or wutever :P lolz... but besides watching shaman king eps... i think this was my longest spree of doing nything anime related haha... it was sorta addicting ... and i was REALLY bored... (college apps make nything look fun :P )

but overall... i'm glad i got up to 194... cuz now... im not as anxious for the next episode... cuz i know wut happens n i can jus sit back and relax... and enjoy the animations hehehe ....
archzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:47   Link #7
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
My opinion is that it's worth starting from chapter 1. I find the manga much more interesting, and it's much more violent than the anime (you'll notice the difference). Some important scenes/dialogues you've already forgotten it's easier to comprehend and spot in the manga, where you can stop and think for a little, before heading on. Also, the characters are much more defined and "deeper". And you don't have to see some awful drawings like in some episodes as the Naruto vs. Kiba fight, which's way cooler and much faster in the manga. Summing up, IMO the manga is better than the anime in every aspect, even though the anime is very cool.

Answering to your question, episode 59 is chapter 98 in the manga, just take off Konohamaru and the bulls, which are fillers.

BTW, I started reading the manga far back, when the anime hadn't even aired yet.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:51   Link #8
Dryad
Steam Counter-Spoon 1.6

You should start from chapter 1 so you'll get the real story without filler. And like Vicious said it's more complete and more deep. But the fact no filler should be enough to motivate u
Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 11:44   Link #9
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
eh i just wanted to read teh manga because i wanted to see naruto vs neji but after that, i was hooked so i just had to read all the way to the end but its still alive so i'm back to waiting a week >< eh its all good though, if u cant wait to see what happens jsut go read the manga ^_^ if ur like my friends and just wanna see the animations just sit and chill ^_^
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 23:55   Link #10
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

i started reading the manga to get rid of my anxiousness for the anime now that is gone but im anxious for the manga kinda ironic no?
Lee-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 02:15   Link #11
fenikkusu

Send a message via AIM to fenikkusu
the anime and the manga r the same almost completely , but the manga doesnt move faster than the anime , the anime moves faster than the manga, when the anime was at episode 57 it was about 96 in the manga .... mathmatically the anime fit 1.7 episodes of the manga in it. i know not always . like the manga of the hospital scene with gaara had more in it then just the hospital scene while the anime was just the hospital... but there was a anime episodes had around 2 1/2 manga episodes in them... so it all averages out.

so mathmatically speaking .. the manga is at 194 so that means we have atleast 114 episodes of the anime ... but the manga isn't showing any signs of slowing down, so the anime will be going of for a long long time... which is a very good scene because i love seeing the manga animated ... especially the fight scenes.
fenikkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 03:03   Link #12
Eikichi
Mad Dog Sawamura

Wow, everyone gave good advice. Thanks guys!

And Sau, I think I'll try what you suggested. I'll read one chapter ahead of time and then view the corresponding episode to test the water. If all goes well I might just start from CH.1. I am doing some traveling over Christmas break and will have a lot of free time, I'll just load the laptop up with naruto manga.
Eikichi is offline   Reply With Quote