AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-04, 18:22   Link #1
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
When is it appropriate to Anglicize anime titles?

I've found that there are a few rules of thumb when it comes to translating titles. The prevailing view, exceptions aside, is that the title is to be romanized only and not translated unless one of the following conditions is met:
  1. The anime has an official or somewhat official English translation of the title provided by the Japanese creators (ex: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hayate the Combat Butler, etc...)
  2. The title is licensed and has an official English title chosen by the licensor
  3. The title was English or Engrish to begin with
Personally, if these rules are violated, the fansubber will come off as extremely arrogant if they try to translate or push an unofficial English title (.hack//DUSK being an extremely notable example)

Any thoughts?
Old 2008-02-04, 19:11   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Why do you feel there is a need for such rules over this?

You seem to be insisting that others follow the rules you might personally favour, why not let the fansub group decide on a case by case basis driven by their own personal choice. While the rules you propose might make sense, why do you feel the need to be rude (i.e. "the fansubber will come off as extremely arrogant"), if they fail to do what you say?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 19:20   Link #3
Starks
*Scanlator

I think you missed the point of my post. It's an assessment that I've made based on what I've seen over the years, not a guidebook.
Old 2008-02-04, 19:25   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
I think you missed the point of my post. It's an assessment that I've made based on what I've seen over the years, not a guidebook.
Reading your opening post, I didn't get that feeling. And again, why did you feel the need for the insult.

Anyway, I suspect this topic has been covered before (or at least this is part of the following discussion)
naming a series by its translation instead of pronunciations?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 20:48   Link #5
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Just let the fansubbers choose.

Making silly rules means that we can't have the best anime titles, like Underwater Ray Romano.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 08:12   Link #6
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Actually, I believe the prevailing view is to translate the show, including the title. I've been fansubbing for going on 16 years now and we've always translated the title of the show.

But each group has their own way of doing things and since we're not under contract and no "peace accords" or "fansubber treaties" have been signed fansubbers can do whatever they want where the title is concerned.

Heibi
Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:11   Link #7
jfs
Aegisub dev

I think you should always make sure the viewer has an idea of what the title means if nothing else. The real problem (IMO) with translating titles is that people might get confused when they find two different transliterations and three different translations of the same title. (Making up numbers here.) Recent conversation: "Did you watch When They Cry?" "No" "It's also known as Higurashi" "Oh, then I did".

But I can't think of anything like a "solution" to this.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 17:20   Link #8
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
I think you should always make sure the viewer has an idea of what the title means if nothing else. The real problem (IMO) with translating titles is that people might get confused when they find two different transliterations and three different translations of the same title. (Making up numbers here.) Recent conversation: "Did you watch When They Cry?" "No" "It's also known as Higurashi" "Oh, then I did".

But I can't think of anything like a "solution" to this.
Companies are starting to leave titles untranslated, partially translated, or append an English title after the Japanese one. Utawarerumono, Higurashi, and Kannazuki no Miko are good examples of this.
Old 2008-02-05, 18:57   Link #9
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Companies are starting to leave titles untranslated, partially translated, or append an English title after the Japanese one. Utawarerumono, Higurashi, and Kannazuki no Miko are good examples of this.

That's not strictly true. Utawarerumono is released in America as Shadow Warrior Chronicles (which if memory serves, is a very bad translation of the Japanese title). I think it depends on how easy it is to translate when it comes to translation titles. Phrases are generally translated (such as He Is My Master) whereas a lot of the time, single words aren't (Shigurui, Mushiuta, Saikano - though the last one is actually released under a translation of its full name Saishuu Heiki Kanojo - She, the Ultimate Weapon).

I don't think there's any strict laws on whether you translate a title or not, though perhaps it's something more simple, like fansubbers go with whatever sites like anidb or ANN credit them as.

Last edited by False Dawn; 2008-02-05 at 21:19. Reason: Didn't remember Saikano's full name correctly!
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:05   Link #10
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
the last one is actually released under a translation of its full name Saishi no Heiki Kanojo - She, the Ultimate Weapon).
although it could be translated too as "my girlfriend, the ultimate weapon"

it really depends on the companies, fansubbers, and even you on how the anime titles are really translated.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 21:18   Link #11
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Sorry, I didn't make that clear - as far as I know, all the fansub groups released it as Saikano (it's shortened version), whereas it was released in America under the title "She, the Ultimate Weapon").
Old 2008-02-05, 23:56   Link #12
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I think you should restrict rule 2:

2. The title is licensed and has an official English title chosen by the licensor that is a close translation and does not sound really stupid

For example, I'm not going to call "Gash Bell" "Zatch Bell", or "Karin" "Chibi Vampire"...
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 09:21   Link #13
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I think you should restrict rule 2:

2. The title is licensed and has an official English title chosen by the licensor that is a close translation and does not sound really stupid

For example, I'm not going to call "Gash Bell" "Zatch Bell", or "Karin" "Chibi Vampire"...

Add Rumbling Hearts to that list
Old 2008-02-06, 09:41   Link #14
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Add Rumbling Hearts to that list
To be fair, that name was a Japanese invention, IIRC it was used as a sort of subtitle on the PS2 version or something. It's still really dumb though.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 03:33   Link #15
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
To be fair, that name was a Japanese invention, IIRC it was used as a sort of subtitle on the PS2 version or something. It's still really dumb though.
Rumbling Hearts was originally the name of the OP song for the PC game.
I guess the makers just loved that term for some reason.
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 06:52   Link #16
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

i say, we create a name ourselves. should be a lot moar fun than translating. didn't you know btw that translating is "out." fanfiction is the new trend in subbing.
Old 2008-02-10, 20:06   Link #17
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
That's not strictly true. Utawarerumono is released in America as Shadow Warrior Chronicles (which if memory serves, is a very bad translation of the Japanese title).
It was going to be, but they changed it back to Utawarerumono
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote