AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-05-02, 14:46   Link #1
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Well just came back from watching the new Nightmare on Elm Street and I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprise. It was a very good remake of the original. I like that they delve deeper into Freddy's past rather leaving it vague. The effects were real good and believable. It was like a trip down memory lane. With the lack of good horror movies lately I'm glad this was made. Two thumbs up. I recommend this flick to any horror flick fan.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 14:55   Link #2
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Hate to disagree, but I have to. This isn't a good movie, it's mindless entertainment at best. The acting (aside from Haley's Freddy) was non-existent, the teenage characters where so 2D it was sickening. This film was a little better than the Friday the 13th (2009) but that isn't saying much.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 14:58   Link #3
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK55 View Post
Hate to disagree, but I have to. This isn't a good movie, it's mindless entertainment at best. The acting (aside from Haley's Freddy) was non-existent, the teenage characters where so 2D it was sickening. This film was a little better than the Friday the 13th (2009) but that isn't saying much.
Aw seeing how young you are, you weren't around in the 80's to appreciate the glory. For old foggies like me it's quite enjoyable. Everyone in the theater came out with a satisfied reaction, then again they were all adults as well.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:04   Link #4
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Aw seeing how young you are, you weren't around in the 80's to appreciate the glory. For old foggies like me it's quite enjoyable. Everyone in the theater came out with a satisfied reaction, then again they were all adults as well.
I don't see how my age would forbid me to enjoy the glory of the 80's. They have this crazy thing called the Internet and DVD, you know? They are able to - get this - take video footage FROM PREVIOUS TIMES and store it for future generations to watch. So unless you mean watching the remake brought back memories of the original, that made no sense. Even if it did, that doesn't make it a good movie. It makes it an enjoyable movie, hence my first post.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:35   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All I notice is that the recycling of movie remakes seems to be accelerating. I figure in 10 more years - it'll be, oh, at least a few months between remakes.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:37   Link #6
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
All I notice is that the recycling of movie remakes seems to be accelerating. I figure in 10 more years - it'll be, oh, at least a few months between remakes.
I agree with you! I was reading on IMDb and some people seem to think a Wayne's World remake is needed. Seriously!? Hollywood is running out of ideas. Halloween 3-D.. really?!
Old 2010-05-02, 15:46   Link #7
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The first Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty mindless, plus it had the cheesiness of Robert Englund and his one-liners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK55 View Post
I don't see how my age would forbid me to enjoy the glory of the 80's. They have this crazy thing called the Internet and DVD, you know? They are able to - get this - take video footage FROM PREVIOUS TIMES and store it for future generations to watch. So unless you mean watching the remake brought back memories of the original, that made no sense. Even if it did, that doesn't make it a good movie. It makes it an enjoyable movie, hence my first post.
They really are no 'Glory of the 80s' when it comes to many of these films. That's just a bunch of people taking 80s cult films and making them seem better than they were.

The Brat Pack films are a perfect example.

Last edited by Dilla; 2010-05-02 at 16:06.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 15:47   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shoot me now.

I don't have a problem with remakes... but I do have a problem with BAD remakes that aren't even decent entertainment or that don't add anything original.
Old 2010-05-02, 16:21   Link #9
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
That's just a bunch of people taking 80s cult films and making them seem better than they were.
Some cult movies lives up to their status and some just don't. The original "Hitcher" came up to me as example of the former. I like Sean Bean and all, but he doesn't have the same level of creepiness that Rutger Hauer brought to the titular character. Also it did not help that he was Boromir, so thank you for the mental image.

An example of the latter, as in too overrated for its own good, would be Cannibal Holocaust. It did age bad, believe me.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 16:28   Link #10
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

As expected it tried to make a more gritty, somewhat more realistic imagining of the original, but honestly I missed the comical aspects of the original series of films while watching. The remake gives it's own version of Freddy's past that was more logical, yet I found it to be less interesting.

Honestly though I never gave a crap for the storylines in the original flicks, I just wanted to watch somecrazed killer murdering people in creepy, brutal, and often comical ways. The story just had to be a set up for that and nothing more.

In the remake it tries to focus on the story so much at times early on that you feel it has to keep building on it later in the movie, but it never does.

The tone and acting from Haley are not bad by any means, but the rest of the movie doesn't support that slight foundation. Not to mention I found many of the deaths less than memorable. They didn't come across as imaganitive to the eye as the originals did and seemed like cheap, cleaned up rehashes of the original deaths.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 03:26   Link #11
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Wow, it got a bit defensive here early, eh. I haven't seen this one yet, and probably will not do so in theaters. But I know what HT meant -- the first one was so old school, nostalgia and a fun vibe despites its premise--plus, and it had a very young Johnny Depp in it. *dies* hah.

I liked the original a lot -- its campiness was great and it was really fun to watch. It doesn't seem like this one has the same air to it, from what I have read.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 04:22   Link #12
Sparvid
*hic*

Weird. Reviews for this movie seems to be all over the place. Some say it's horrible, some say it's great, some say it's so-and-so...

Haven't seen it, but I'll probably check out the DVD in the future.
Old 2010-05-03, 05:15   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
Wow....

Well, yeah. At least I can talk to others about the original in that way, "you know, that movie where Captain Jack Sparrow died a horrible and bloody death."
Old 2010-05-03, 11:05   Link #14
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Freddy, Jason, Michael, and later Chucky were the faces of horror back in the 80's. Many children had nightmares because of these movies, hell because of Freddy I wasn't able to sleep peacefully for nearly a month. Since movies don't have that effect on me anymore, a remake like this is appreciated and it's "fun", I'm not looking for spectacular acting, or an award winning storyline, just that it was a "fun" movie was enough to bring back the nostalgia.

I went to the theater with zero expectations, plus it was a Sunday morning so tickets were 5 bucks. And came out pleasantly surprised.
Old 2010-05-03, 11:50   Link #15
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

I don't know why some looney toons kept saying crap about this movie, but I just saw it last night. It was DAMN good. I'm a horror flick buff and it takes a real horror to get my attention. I've never cared about Freddy movies before ever since I saw glimpse the 1980 elm street because it was bleh. I couldn't watch all of it. But the latest hollywood special effects and surround sound brought the horror back to life. To how it SHOULD be. Caught my attention, kept me on the edge of my seat. I was having a field day when it's nightmare time and it kept me guessing when Freddy's going to strike. XD

Spoiler:

About the acting, the rest were okay but Earle Haley (fred) and Kyle Gallner (quentin) were the ones that stood out.
Mei19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 11:58   Link #16
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Regarding remakes, Assault On Precinct 13 was remade 3 times. Why nobody complained?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 12:49   Link #17
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Regarding remakes, Assault On Precinct 13 was remade 3 times. Why nobody complained?
The remake by that french guy was not that bad. I don't recall having seen the other remake tho. But I did see the original. It's an ok Carpenter when he was on a low budget, but I have seen better Carpenter's movies. (The Fog, Prince of Darkness, The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness and Big Trouble in Little China)

What lolwut me more is Dune having ANOTHER remake, not like David Lynch's movie was something to write home about, even tho I think that Kyle MacLachlan was a more charismatic Paul Atreides and Sting dying in the end made me go =D
Old 2010-05-03, 14:04   Link #18
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I think if they're going to do remakes, it's best to remake the series with a bad to average original like Dune. Lynch is embarrassed to even have his name associated with it. You have a better shot going well with the new version.

I expected the reviews to be all over the place with this movie honestly, from the trailers it was obvious the they tried to go in a different direction and make it more serious. Some people aren't going to like that they removed the original 80s cheesiness, others are going to appreciate the attempt to actually make Kruger something more than a snarky one-liner spouting, supernatural killer.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 14:23   Link #19
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I expected the reviews to be all over the place with this movie honestly, from the trailers it was obvious the they tried to go in a different direction and make it more serious. Some people aren't going to like that they removed the original 80s cheesiness, others are going to appreciate the attempt to actually make Kruger something more than a snarky one-liner spouting, supernatural killer.
Exactly, you can't please anyone. In the original NOES, I don't think Freddy was as cheesy as he was in the sequels, I thought he was kinda scary in the original.
Old 2010-05-03, 14:59   Link #20
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
6.2 on IMDB...
i agree. it sucked. freddy's face was stupid and expressionless. he still is a "one-liner spouting, supernatural killer" only now he has batmans voice.
4 unimaginative deaths throughout the movie, some ripped off directly from the original.
story. bleh, the "maybe freddy is innocent" angle was dumb. in the original they made it clear that he KILLED kids, not whatever they tried to make us think he did to them.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote