AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2003-11-12, 16:56   Link #1
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

The art of digital anime drawing. How?

A friend of mine wants to draw anime characters, and he's pretty good, but using only a normal computer mouse and MS Paint does affect the result. Could any of the local professionals recommend a good pen/tablet and software for drawing? Or do you draw by hand and scan it in? Or is there another (better) way?

Preferably a way that doesn't cost more than a cheap computer does
Any help is greatly appreciated!

*Edit*
This is an image he created with the aforementioned tools, portraying the character in my sig, Ayumi from the Bishoujo game Tottemo Pheromone:

Last edited by AG3; 2003-11-12 at 17:26.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 17:37   Link #2
Whojive
is behind on many eps

Send a message via AIM to Whojive Send a message via Yahoo to Whojive
thats pretty good for MSpaint

Photoshop 8 should be fine, alittle searching and you can find it really really cheap online

would like to know about a good tablet that is relatively inexpensive
Whojive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 18:21   Link #3
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
mouse vs tablet isn't as much of an issue of what software one is using.... that's the biggest difference. since ms paint has nothing on photoshop.... or even a low cost photo editing program....

doesn't mean can't make things that look good in paint... just takes alot more practice and/or talent

Last edited by fenrihr; 2003-11-12 at 19:51.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 19:41   Link #4
t//a//s
]| 百合 addict |[

Send a message via MSN to t//a//s
I have a tablet which is a Wacom Volito A5, it's cheap but really great (anyway, Wacom is a good brand)...
About the software, I'd say OpenCanvas - 3.00+ bieng the latest version - which you can find @ www.portalgraphics.net ^^

And he can pratice on oekaki boards (PaintBBS - or even Shi Painter- being a nice thing to practice) too...

My method is to scan my inked drawing, play with levels to have a nice lineart and then color with my tablet ^^

here is an exemple (with OC 3) ^^;
Hao

Hope it helped ^^
t//a//s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 20:22   Link #5
Timo
anime addict

I'm no professional and my drawings suck, but I do have some experience with digital drawings.

I have a simple Wacom graphire2 (they now have the graphire3) and I must say Wacom is the brand to pick.
But make sure the size of the tablet is big enough, a5 is a minimum.
The graphire series is too small, so you have to go for an Intuos2.

I got Corel Painter Classic with my wacom tablet which is a cool program because it does simulate painting pretty good, but I did have a hard time working with it.
I don't think it matter much which software you will be using with your tablet, as long as it can handle pressure sensitive input it's fine

As for, scanning a drawing or drawing it with a table.
I draw on paper because it's easier, you can better see and control what you're doing.
This has also something to do with the tablet size I mentioned.
I mostly use the tablet for coloring and not for drawing.
Coloring with a tablet is so much easier then with a mouse. (I also looks better. )

A tablet is better then a mouse when working with any kind of graphics on the computer.
Just remember that size does matter, and nothing beats the old fashion pen and paper.
Just my 2 eurocents. ^_^
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 01:19   Link #6
dot|hack
Flash Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by t//a//s
I have a tablet which is a Wacom Volito A5, it's cheap but really great (anyway, Wacom is a good brand)...
About the software, I'd say OpenCanvas - 3.00+ bieng the latest version - which you can find @ www.portalgraphics.net ^^

And he can pratice on oekaki boards (PaintBBS - or even Shi Painter- being a nice thing to practice) too...

My method is to scan my inked drawing, play with levels to have a nice lineart and then color with my tablet ^^

here is an exemple (with OC 3) ^^;
Hao

Hope it helped ^^
WOW! That pic=win!!!
dot|hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 08:07   Link #7
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Hmmm.... so drawing it on paper, then scanning it to your computer where you can refine it gives a better result than drawing it from scratch on the computer?
Old 2003-11-14, 14:11   Link #8
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
Hmmm.... so drawing it on paper, then scanning it to your computer where you can refine it gives a better result than drawing it from scratch on the computer?

not necessarily.. more often than not, ppl need to see where their hand is going by staring at the hand..

the thing about a tablet...the surface is slippery, unlike paper..easy solution is to tape down a piece of paper on the tablet..

IMO, a tablet is just over rated.. I did just fine with a mouse. If anything, a tablet only saves time, and maybe several layers..that's all.

last, drawing from scratch on a computer will require a rather decent hand to eye coordination. So, if you're still using the eraser A LOT, it's not worth it IMO.

A tablet is only as worthwhile as the amount of tracing paper you use to tidy up the your drawing.
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 14:46   Link #9
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
I use a mouse and Photoshop 7.0
I scan in the line art that penciled and inked.
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 21:07   Link #10
dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whojive
thats pretty good for MSpaint

Thanks for the compliment Whojive !! I'm the one who drew the pic !!

And Thanks for everyones help on this topic !!
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:16   Link #11
iyami ame

Send a message via AIM to iyami ame Send a message via Yahoo to iyami ame
this thread is kind of old but >~<; i really felt someone needed to put up something more accurate on the subject..

Programs
The great myth of photoshop..
Lost of professionals use photoshop.. well, do you know why? becuase people keep suggesting it.. o__o i personally hate photshop, and would never reccamend it. ever. its Way overpriced, and its not even very good..
my dad's friend kim, who is a prfessional, tested PS with a few other programs, her conclusion : "who would buy this? Poor, mislead, artist-kiddies."
The biggest and only real advantage of photoshop : its the most commonly used, and most well-known

I use OpenCanvas :3 cheap and easy to understand <3 i also love Corel Painter, its more advanced, but also costs more~
OpenCanvas is also the second most popular CG program~ :3 thats, of course, not includeing MSPaint xD

GIMP is widley loved, and free, you can even get it on download.com, but it doenst work with Aiptek tablets (im pretty sure it works with Wacom, but i duno)

I also hear that Illustraitor (sp) is the best out tehre i fyou wnat to get into Vector Art :3 i havent tried it myself, yet
Tablets
look over the stats and see what fits you best, no one else can tell you what you want xD wacom.com & aiptek.com
--
Aipteks are dirt cheap, but less accurate, are less durable, and come with useless programs: prfect for hobbyists and begginers
Wacoms: more expensive, coem with excelent prgrams, mroe accurate, last over twice as long: perfect for professionals and art-adicts
--
for your very first, id suggest an Aiptek 8x6 or 12x9
if your aiming more professionally, splurge on a Wacom Intous, its worth it <3 graphires have nothing on intouses.

Last edited by iyami ame; 2005-12-22 at 02:40.
iyami ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 18:09   Link #12
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

What I use:
Painter 7 with a Waccom Intuos and a scanner.

What I want to use:

A Wacom Ciniq!!!
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 08:43   Link #13
kelseal

Painter isn't really that good unless you have painted quite a bit using traditional materials. The interface may be quite confusing for beginners.
kelseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 20:43   Link #14
Spaghettos

TO THE PERSON THAT DISSED PHOTOSHOP:

Quote:
Lost of professionals use photoshop.. well, do you know why? becuase people keep suggesting it.. o__o i personally hate photshop, and would never reccamend it. ever. its Way overpriced, and its not even very good..
my dad's friend kim, who is a prfessional, tested PS with a few other programs, her conclusion : "who would buy this? Poor, mislead, artist-kiddies."
The biggest and only real advantage of photoshop : its the most commonly used, and most well-known
AND...WHY would people suggest photoshop in the first place?

IT's theE program to use if you are serious about any field of art. Yah, it's just expensive.

The only reason why pple would give up using it, is because they cannot harnest the power. They overreact to the all the tools because there are alot and they think it'll take too long to figure it all out.

It just takes time and patience. Using simple and weak programs only gives you simple and weak results. Period.
Spaghettos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 21:42   Link #15
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettos
TO THE PERSON THAT DISSED PHOTOSHOP:

AND...WHY would people suggest photoshop in the first place?

IT's theE program to use if you are serious about any field of art. Yah, it's just expensive.

The only reason why pple would give up using it, is because they cannot harnest the power. They overreact to the all the tools because there are alot and they think it'll take too long to figure it all out.

It just takes time and patience. Using simple and weak programs only gives you simple and weak results. Period.
I like the last few lines of your post I could not have said it better myself. I also dont like people who give up wihen they cannot understand everything in the world can be solved.........more or less. If you are really catching hell in photoshop go pickup the Photoshop Bible (I have it and love it.)
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 23:58   Link #16
123Hamster
Hamster

I like to use natural medium much more than computer. So when I do use a program I just choose one with the simplest paintbrush tool that behave the way I want to, like Open Canvas. Mouse always going to give you the same color while the tablet will give you tone base on pressure. So it all comes down to how much you rely on the program and it's build in tools/filters. And by the way I color, for trying to rely on program as little as possible, tablet becomes a necessarity rather than a convenience.

So I guess it all comes down to which method suits you more.

On the side note, it's a totally different matter to be commercially acceptable, which combines the ability to do a reasonable picture in a very short amount of time, vs art itself. Photoshop is use by professionals simply because it makes the job faster. It doesn't mean it's a higher state of art in any way.

Last edited by 123Hamster; 2006-01-03 at 00:37.
123Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 00:15   Link #17
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Painter, Draw and many others. A lot of the pros use them. I should know, being an animator you can't do your job without at least learning the basics of how these programs work and there is a very good reason why they are the industry standard other than just having a simple, easy to use interface (although I'm not saying simple is cheap). And like what you said it does take time and practice to use these things. I've used Photoshop since ver. 3.0 and I'm still discovering new techniques for it, moreso with Photoshop 7.0, which is what I'm currently using along with Painter 7.0.

For those who can do with simple, if that floats your boat, if that's what makes you spread your creative wings, then go for it! It's usually the end product that counts right? I use a Wacom 15X18 Intuos tablet along with my painting software. My partner prefers a good ol' two-button mouse to do his work, but he does a heck of a job! In the end there is no right software or wrong as long as you are good at it. (And yes, this also includes those who still use MS paint! IT STILL RULES!!! when it comes to simple doodling.)
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 00:38   Link #18
muuko
sai

Like other people said~~ Wacom is definitely the brand to choose for graphic tablets ^^
And for programs.. OpenCanvas is cheaper & easy to use. @_@ but I find that when I try drawing larger pics it LAGS like hell o_____o; I prefer Corel Painter IX~ a bit confusing to use at first, but not hard to learn
muuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 01:07   Link #19
EnseiSong
Clous Dolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by muuko
Like other people said~~ Wacom is definitely the brand to choose for graphic tablets ^^
And for programs.. OpenCanvas is cheaper & easy to use. @_@ but I find that when I try drawing larger pics it LAGS like hell o_____o; I prefer Corel Painter IX~ a bit confusing to use at first, but not hard to learn
I acturally new at coloring on the computer. The only thing I know how to use is PhotoShop, which I just started to got hang of it three month ago, but still suck at it. So I have few questions for you since it seem that you know lot about Painter and OpenCanvas.

Does OpenCancas close to water coloring or air bursh affects?

What program people use the most to color something like Magna Carta?

Can you answer as much as you know? Thanks
EnseiSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 01:15   Link #20
Icemera

Wacom and photoshop are the way to go. Erm. I understand that it's frustrating when starting to use a tablet (I myself just got one not long ago), but practice practice practice, and u will get the lines--the feel of it eventually.
Icemera is offline   Reply With Quote