AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-03-22, 08:15   Link #1
Unregistered00

16:9 and 4:3 Fansubs?

Why are there fansubs of the same title being released in 4:3 and 16:9 (e.g. Clannad: After Story: SS|Eclipse) on different times? Are they broadcasted in different times in Japan? Is there a fixed schedule for 16:9 broadcasts?

Last edited by Unregistered00; 2009-03-22 at 08:19. Reason: Stoned as hell
Unregistered00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 09:06   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

TBS airs some shows such as Clannad on their main channel cut to a 4:3 aspect ratio. Much picture is lost and you only see part of the action. The original 16:9 episodes air 3 episodes later on TBS's cable network BS-i. It's all a sick marketing attempt to get die-hard fans to subscribe to their cable network.

I personally hate this, especially since so many anime nowadays are released in 16:9 ratio while TBS is "downgrading" Clannad to an aspect ratio it is not. The worst thing is the fansubs. I don't know Japanese, so I watch fansubs, which always release the 4:3 episodes and rarely release or care about the 16:9 episodes, the original material. Static Subs and Eclipse are the only ones I know of that release the episodes in 16:9. And the stupid thing is that people still host and seed torrents for the 4:3 release months after the 16:9 release tricking people into getting the cropped version.

This tactic seriously gives me a headache when watching my favorite anime.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 09:29   Link #3
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
care about the 16:9 episodes, the original material. Static Subs and Eclipse are the only ones I know of that release the episodes in 16:9. And the stupid thing is that people still host and seed torrents for the 4:3 release months after the 16:9 release tricking people into getting the cropped version.

This tactic seriously gives me a headache when watching my favorite anime.
I know, thank god for that. I typically put off watching it until the 16:9 is out. I can wait a few weeks.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 10:17   Link #4
niko
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to niko
Quote:
The original 16:9 episodes air 3 episodes later on TBS's cable network BS-i.
Small correction BS-i is not cable but satellite (BS = Broadcasting Satelite)
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 15:19   Link #5
Soichiro
Real-life Lolicon

Quote:
The worst thing is the fansubs. I don't know Japanese, so I watch fansubs, which always release the 4:3 episodes and rarely release or care about the 16:9 episodes, the original material. Static Subs and Eclipse are the only ones I know of that release the episodes in 16:9.
I don't know what you mean. Many, many groups always do WS versions (either broadcast or DVD) after the FS versions.

If you want examples of groups who have done WS versions of at least one TBS anime...

SS-Eclipse (obviously)
Shinsen
Aniyoshi
Chihiro
CoalGays-Doremi
Dream

And considering not too many groups sub TBS animes (there are only 6 TBS 4:3 shows every year), this isn't a bad list of groups. I could probably find more if I wanted, but I'm too lazy.
Soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 15:21   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I know, thank god for that. I typically put off watching it until the 16:9 is out. I can wait a few weeks.
Actually, as I've been told the 4:3 has much better quality than 16:9...

rawr rawr bs-i

Last edited by martino; 2009-03-22 at 15:23. Reason: heck, let's be less stingy
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 15:34   Link #7
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Actually, as I've been told the 4:3 has much better quality than 16:9...
You've been told or you've seen it for yourself?
Honestly the 704x400 xvid versions look fine on my 42" TV from the standard watching distance (1-2 meters). Perhaps the 4:3 has better per-pixel quality, since not as many pixels but same filesize, but so what if they're both good enough. I'd still rather watch the widescreen then the cropped.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 15:40   Link #8
Soichiro
Real-life Lolicon

The WS is worse because BS-i has rainbowing and ghosting all over the place. However, after filtering they're both equally blurry when watching at normal speed, so it doesn't really matter. Go for the one without cropping, or wait for DVDs
Soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 16:48   Link #9
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
You've been told or you've seen it for yourself?
I've been told... at Uppcon if my memory does not fail me... and it's not that hard to see. Despite the good job done by one of the groups that were mentioned before it still isn't that hard to find rainbowing and dot crawl (and that's probably the best one out there, but no quoting please). In fact, looking at a BS-i raw in most cases is enough to wonder whether it's monkeys mastering or people.
Old 2009-03-23, 00:35   Link #10
Unregistered00

I should really pay more attention to those anime blog's screencaps more often. Then again, if a particular anime is good, impatience rushes in and I'll still get the latest release anyway.

I guess I'll just redownload the 16:9 versions once a fansub group completes them.

Thanks for the replies.
Unregistered00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:01   Link #11
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I've been told... at Uppcon if my memory does not fail me... and it's not that hard to see. Despite the good job done by one of the groups that were mentioned before it still isn't that hard to find rainbowing and dot crawl (and that's probably the best one out there, but no quoting please). In fact, looking at a BS-i raw in most cases is enough to wonder whether it's monkeys mastering or people.
Yeah - the bs-i airing has the same problems the TBS airing has, times two. The dotcrawl is even stronger, the rainbowing is really showing all colors and blocks are romping around like mad. What's really p*ssing me off is that all this would be totally unnecessary if it weren't for the horrible transfer.

The TBS transport streams are ~2.5 GB in size. The bs-i transport streams are ~4.3 GB. And no, these are no capture errors, but GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) issues.

Right now I'm so mad particularly at the bs-i airing that I'm seriously considering just going for DVD/Bluray-Rips for the 16:9 versions in the future, as payback for this crap.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 00:00   Link #12
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Right now I'm so mad particularly at the bs-i airing that I'm seriously considering just going for DVD/Bluray-Rips for the 16:9 versions in the future, as payback for this crap.
Do it for higher anidb ratings, better visual quality, eliciting complaints from frugal folk about 400mb+ encodes, and the fact that Chihiro is already going this route with Asu no Yoichi! (disclaimer: most of those reasons actually don't matter, and many more reasons that do aren't there)

As for Blu-ray, I don't think any TBS/BS-i shows were ever animated in HD. For example, everyone keeps screaming about how AIR is a shitty upscale.
Old 2009-03-31, 00:16   Link #13
mieruno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
Do it for higher anidb ratings, better visual quality, eliciting complaints from frugal folk about 400mb+ encodes, and the fact that Chihiro is already going this route with Asu no Yoichi! (disclaimer: most of those reasons actually don't matter, and many more reasons that do aren't there)

As for Blu-ray, I don't think any TBS/BS-i shows were ever animated in HD. For example, everyone keeps screaming about how AIR is a shitty upscale.
>>for higher anidb rating

What. People still care about that shitty site with a biased voting system?

>>As for Blu-ray, I don't think any TBS/BS-i shows were ever animated in HD. For example, everyone keeps screaming about how AIR is a shitty upscale.

Have you even watched the AIR BD rips. And also, same applies for SHAFT.
mieruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 02:16   Link #14
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

The only thing HD about AIR BDs were the backgrounds. Other than that, UPSCALES UPSCALES.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 06:06   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
The only thing HD about AIR BDs were the backgrounds. Other than that, UPSCALES UPSCALES.
OP was redrawn too AFAIK.
Old 2009-03-31, 07:59   Link #16
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieruno View Post
>>for higher anidb rating

What. People still care about that shitty site with a biased voting system?

>>As for Blu-ray, I don't think any TBS/BS-i shows were ever animated in HD. For example, everyone keeps screaming about how AIR is a shitty upscale.

Have you even watched the AIR BD rips. And also, same applies for SHAFT.
it was pretty obvious sarcasm, he even said so in the fine print, lrn2internet
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 17:36   Link #17
comatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
I would say that's a pretty big thing.
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 21:17   Link #18
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
There are only two groups subbing Clannad anyways, and Sprocket is waiting on a clean OP for their 16:9
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 23:02   Link #19
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Queen's Blade is aired in 4:3 for some reason and some foolish group thinks it's wise to apply 23+ filters to a raw in order to make a stretched, cleaned, and upscaled fansub.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:34   Link #20
npcomplete

Well, I agree that I've no idea why anyone would stretch 4:3 to 16:9 but as far as upscales goes, I used to hate it. But then I realized that you can't escape it in this age of fixed resolution digital displays, so I've come around to actually appreciate good upscales, with nice filtering done by the encoder from source, pre-encode, rather than having to upscale myself, then apply extra cpu sucking filtering on playback, post-encode (which will look worse anyways).
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect ratio, tbs