Notices

Old 2008-09-05, 02:58   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
bugs in the kitchen

okay heres a bug question
my house boss isn't what you can call cleany and occasionally I find small bugs on my plank, they are about 3-4 millimeters long, really small. They're brown, got a shell thingy on the back like a bettle does or maybe a roach but since I didn't see any anthenna's I can't be certain that it is, I don't have a camera with me so photo's of them have to wait till monday but I've found them in my spagetti, my box of tea hidding in the corners, they don't destroy it or either way I haven't seen anything happen yet but they disgust me, right now I'm moving all my food to these closable boxes, those vacume ones so that maybe they won't come in though I'm wondering whether or not this will happen, I'm prepared to move all eatable things to my own room if I have to cause bugs are not good IMO, does anyone know what kind of bug it might be or do they have any advice for me

I'm not certain if cleaning the whole kitchen up would be a good idea, my houseboss is someone who keeps things the way she wants and collects random object she doesn't even need, there are more bugs the plank above mine but just cleaning that up doesn't solve it I'd have to take on the whoel kitchen and really it is stuffed with dozens of pots and jars, the coffee machine hasn't been cleaned in ages and has fungus growing in the pot, though I don't drink coffee thats not the problem nor do I use any of her stuff cause I know how bad it all is in hygene.

If those bugs do come to the food etc. would a so called vegas roach trap wotk ont hem? I got no clue in how to handle these things =<

also the bugs, if I had to compare look like fruit flies in size, it doesnt have wings and carries a shell in the colour of orange brown, once again no visible anthenas so I'm not sure if its a roach, any ideas on what it is? BTW this is Europe / Holland we don't have any tropical bugs here

heres a paint sketch of one of them, I take back the anthenna parts though barely visible they are there, I think its a roach

Spoiler for for the bug:

bad thing is I'll be back on monday to respond, maybe I can get on tonight or sunday

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-09-05 at 03:10. Reason: added sketch
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 03:11   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

When you say "plank", I assume you mean "shelf", as in a shelf in a food cupboard. The image link doesn't work BTW (I see you have now fixed the image)

Will most likely merge this thread with another soon.

Do these insects roll up into a little ball? Could your insect be a Woodlouse?
Quote:
They are not generally regarded as a serious household pest as they do not spread disease and do not damage wood or structures; however, their presence can indicate dampness problems

Last edited by xris; 2008-09-05 at 04:02.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 04:15   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
When you say "plank", I assume you mean "shelf", as in a shelf in a food cupboard. The image link doesn't work BTW (I see you have now fixed the image)

Will most likely merge this thread with another soon.

Do these insects roll up into a little ball? Could your insect be a Woodlouse?
uuhm plank as in a cubboard plank, not sure how you call those kabinets above your sink etc. but I have one plank in the cabinet that I use

it is def not a woodlouse, it doesn't roll up and there is no damage to the wooding anywhere either, I'm beginning to think that it is actually a roach but I checked out the roach types we have here, the smallest one is the german roach btu it doesn't look like it at all, but I'll first check what a woodlouse looks like before I judge ofc

I just bought myself a large vacume pack for my bread and moved my tea in another pack downstairs

edit: nope I checked its dev not the woodlouse, the shell is smooth not plated and the front body is visibly different like in the picture, the head is also more visible as well as anthenas
Old 2008-09-05, 08:19   Link #4
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Sounds like you have some sort of pest beetle. There are types that bore into wood or feed on fibrous stuff like dead skin or just food laying around. You say there's no wood damage so I'll assume it's not a woodboring type but I'd double check for holes and damage to make sure. As for resolving the issue (short of hiring a pest exterminator), I would clean up the affected areas thoroughly and make sure all consumables are in sealed containers. If you have any infested items, you can probably stick them in the freezer to kill off the insects. Try to look for the source of the infestation and eliminate it to prevent future occurences. If it's still a problem after that, I'd get a professional.
Old 2008-09-05, 09:50   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
Sounds like you have some sort of pest beetle. There are types that bore into wood or feed on fibrous stuff like dead skin or just food laying around. You say there's no wood damage so I'll assume it's not a woodboring type but I'd double check for holes and damage to make sure. As for resolving the issue (short of hiring a pest exterminator), I would clean up the affected areas thoroughly and make sure all consumables are in sealed containers. If you have any infested items, you can probably stick them in the freezer to kill off the insects. Try to look for the source of the infestation and eliminate it to prevent future occurences. If it's still a problem after that, I'd get a professional.
you said beetle so I checked those words out and I found what kind of pest it is XD
its a red flour beetle

Spoiler for how it looks like:

no wonder they are around the plank above mine is filled with bakery goods and grains I guess thats the source of it all, but I'm not certain if I should confront my house boss about it, she's like the no care kind of person, she doesn't clean anything