AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-02-01, 12:13   Link #1
JayB
Project J-KO

"Lost In Translation" is it close to real Tokyo?

We just went to see Lost In Translation this afternoon. I thought it was great film, and I was very impressed with it's portrayal of Tokyo and the Japanese people.

It showed than as a joyful nation who although rigid in formality, still know how to have a good time. The scenes of Tokyo at night were quite informative, I was especially impressed with the karaoke bar scene. It was funny and touching, and showed karoake more as i've seen it anime than television and film.

The scenery of Japan was fantastic, there is an amazing shot of Bill Murray playing golf with Mt Fuji in the background. Scarlett Johannsson also visited Kyoto and visited much more traditional sites, and the watcher got to see a more classic Japan than the busy life of Tokyo. My only dissappointment was that there was only 2 shots of the Tokyo Tower, and alas it was still erect in both of them!

My boyfriend was really impressed with the portrayal of Japan, and would now love to go visit on holiday.

Has anyone else seen this film yet? What did you think of it's portrayal of Japan and it's people? What parts of Japanese life would you like to have seen other than the obvious visit to a hot spring?
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 17:18   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB
It showed than as a joyful nation who although rigid in formality, still know how to have a good time.
Uhhh, we aren't exactly visiting an alien planet here...

It sounds like some of the mantra, "we cannot understand these exotic Oriental cultures!" still rubs off today. You're quite a few levels above The Hollow Doll, which is the worst I've seen in contemporary thought. (Excepting fundamentalist Christians, most of whom are complete xenophobes, and who I do not consider to be representative of Americans in general.) But even so, your tone is a little condescending. If I were to come out from Chocolat and ask everyone how well they thought it portrayed "France and its people", probably people would be a little confused. If I went into detail about how I thought such-and-such a shot in front of the Eiffel Tower showed France particularly well, then they might groan a bit. If I said "It showed France as a peaceful nation who despite being arrogant and stuck-up, still know how to love," I say the average guy would whap me on the head with a clue stick.

I reviewed your review!
Old 2004-02-01, 18:10   Link #3
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Uhhh, we aren't exactly visiting an alien planet here...

It sounds like some of the mantra, "we cannot understand these exotic Oriental cultures!" still rubs off today. You're quite a few levels above The Hollow Doll, which is the worst I've seen in contemporary thought. (Excepting fundamentalist Christians, most of whom are complete xenophobes, and who I do not consider to be representative of Americans in general.) But even so, your tone is a little condescending. If I were to come out from Chocolat and ask everyone how well they thought it portrayed "France and its people", probably people would be a little confused. If I went into detail about how I thought such-and-such a shot in front of the Eiffel Tower showed France particularly well, then they might groan a bit. If I said "It showed France as a peaceful nation who despite being arrogant and stuck-up, still know how to love," I say the average guy would whap me on the head with a clue stick.

I reviewed your review!

W00t good job Ashibaka! Your review was very well written and insightful. I like how you helped to disspell his myths. But if you read his post he is asking whether or not it's a truthful representaition of Japan. He *already* doubts the movie's content is accurate to what japan actually is. So politely telling him to get a clue was uncalled for. Please try and be kinder with your next post.

I reviewed your review of his review!!
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 18:58   Link #4
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JAppi again.
Darn, I wanted to review your review of my review of his review
Old 2004-02-01, 19:03   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Darn, I was hoping for some more negative rep
Old 2004-02-01, 19:25   Link #6
KaeMeera

Well, Jay, I'm sorry but I haven't seen the movie, yet. It's still relatively new, I think. I read what it was about and kinda didn't want to see it...but it's good to know it was semi-enjoyable.

I hope someone is able to answer your questions. ^_^

*shakes her head at JAppi and Ashibaka*
KaeMeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 00:21   Link #7
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

Quote:
lol! that could go on for ages!
oOoo that film sounds interesting, i will try and see it ^_~
Quote:
My boyfriend
*glows with envy*
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 00:33   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Darn, I was hoping for some more negative rep
Don't worry, I have plenty to give out! Negative reputation for everyone!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 00:39   Link #9
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

Quote:
Don't worry, I have plenty to give out! Negative reputation for everyone!
LOL*ahem*but hey dont waste it on the people that have their reputation disabled because that would be a waste! it has to be in public view^_~
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 01:02   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
It sounds like some of the mantra, "we cannot understand these exotic Oriental cultures!" still rubs off today.
Better than the ppl who think we're all engineers, mathmaticians, kungfu chef/butler.

my english teacher said that "oriental luxury" in literature is a sign of a gothic element. Wats so gothic about silk?
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 16:37   Link #11
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB
We just went to see Lost In Translation this afternoon. I thought it was great film
I really didn't like this movie. My friends litteraly fell asleep in the movie theater! I just wanted to see it because it had JAPAN in it, and the comercials only showed the talk show sceen, so it looked like a good movie. Before entering to see it I thought it was about a westerner that was hosting a talk show in Japan, and oh boy was i horribly suprized. Though the arcade sceen was worth the 2h i wasted(i think... ), I really wanted to play DDR after watching it even though there wasn't a DDR shot in the movie. As for it's portrayal of Japan, i didn't really like how it made Bill Murry seem superour to the Japanese people around him. It made it look like everyone around him was a dumb ass just because they were japanese, and this was VERY aparent in the sceen when the translator was telling Bill Murry what the camera man was saying. Well, that is my opinion on this movie, though mind you, i was pissed off at the movie when i saw it (because of the missleading comercial) so my oppinion is probably very bias.
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 16:54   Link #12
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
I really didn't like this movie. My friends litteraly fell asleep in the movie theater! I just wanted to see it because it had JAPAN in it, and the comercials only showed the talk show sceen, so it looked like a good movie. Before entering to see it I thought it was about a westerner that was hosting a talk show in Japan, and oh boy was i horribly suprized. Though the arcade sceen was worth the 2h i wasted(i think... ), I really wanted to play DDR after watching it even though there wasn't a DDR shot in the movie. As for it's portrayal of Japan, i didn't really like how it made Bill Murry seem superour to the Japanese people around him. It made it look like everyone around him was a dumb ass just because they were japanese, and this was VERY aparent in the sceen when the translator was telling Bill Murry what the camera man was saying. Well, that is my opinion on this movie, though mind you, i was pissed off at the movie when i saw it (because of the missleading comercial) so my oppinion is probably very bias.
Huh..I really didn't get that impression at all. I'm also interested at exactly how Bill Murray made Japanese people seem stupid. Was it because they didn't speak English? That was kind of the point of the movie - that these people are stranded in a culture that isn't their own, far away from their families and anything familiar (even being able to talk, listen, or read a newspaper).
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 18:49   Link #13
u&t

Saw the movie 2 hours ago. It was great as a cute lovestory but if you feel like bitching about things there are many things in the movie you can pick upon.

It's stereotyping everyone (americans, germans, japanese) but so what? It's a great movie about love. It's a pretty sucky movie about japan but anyone really bothered by that shouldn't, well, bother.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 11:38   Link #14
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
it is just a movie
Old 2004-02-03, 12:40   Link #15
DjDeluxay
マイクスズカゼ、ウェチノ

Send a message via AIM to DjDeluxay
I loved this movie so much. I was glad that they got three Golden Globes.
Haha just shows how much people loved the film. I am getting or renting the DVD today.
I want to see the special features. It did make me want to goto Japan EVEN more.
I am impressed of how it is not the cliche film
DjDeluxay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 01:31   Link #16
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just watched it, I thought it was great. Bill Murray + Asians= teh win!
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 21:56   Link #17
JAppi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitation
*glows with envy*

I'm not good enough for you?
Old 2004-02-05, 02:23   Link #18
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
Excepting fundamentalist Christians, most of whom are complete xenophobes.
Hmm...
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 08:32   Link #19
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
Hmm...
I'm not kidding. You should go to a fundie forum like RaptureReady and see the sort of xenophobic stuff being posted there.
Old 2004-02-06, 00:33   Link #20
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
Quote:
I'm not kidding. You should go to a fundie forum like RaptureReady and see the sort of xenophobic stuff being posted there.
not all of us are like that....

its asshats like them that give the majority of us bad names...
ugh..
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote