AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-03-23, 04:44   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Question Anyone "Returning to Anime" this Spring?

OK, I don't mean to sound nearly as dramatic as the title.

I haven't watched anime for quite a long time now (Well, it feels like a long time). I don't feel obligated to, or feel that it is necessary to uphold interest in anime to remain being a 'fan'. I don't think anime is 'getting worse', it's just that there's nothing that has really piqued my interest.

I'm pretty optimistic about Spring season, and there's many series I'm interested in. So maybe I'll start watching anime on a regular basis again, who knows.

Anyone in a similar situation?
Old 2008-03-24, 12:15   Link #2
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I already watch anime on a regluar basis but there are definietly some series coming out this spring that I'm looking forward to. One would be Soul Eater...
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 13:33   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The past years have been quite good to anime, if you look towards non-mainstream titles. I have to repeat for the n-eth time that Baccano is probably one of the most overlooked series of all time, let alone of 2007.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 14:50   Link #4
Dingo
The polyphony

Yeah I am

The last anime i watched was Baccano! in 2007, and before that i can't remember, maybe FMA.

Will be watching Real Drive, Soul Eater, Kaiba, and a bunch of others, it's been a long time since i looked forward to a season so much.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 22:24   Link #5
wao
OK.

Since last year's bumper Spring crop I hardly followed any new series with the exception of the utterly fantastic Mononoke (Summer '07 - please watch it)

It didn't feel like there was a long period without anime because Dennou Coil went on for nearly the whole year despite starting in Spring and being only 26 episodes. Since then... I haven't watched a single new anime until last week (Gag Manga Biyori 3)
After Dennou Coil ended, I basically finished watching some shows I had started on ages ago (REC, Twin Spica, NHK ni Youkoso, SamCham all in December, Arusu in February), rewatched some (Guu in Dec, Mimi wo Sumaseba and Rose of Versailles this month) and watched older stuff (ranging from not-that-old like Baccano and Oh! Edo Rocket, to Cat Soup, Junkers Come Here, Like the Clouds Like the Wind...)

Oh wait, I did watch Tokyo Marble Chocolate in February but it was so boring I almost forgot.

... That's a lot more than I had thought.
I guess considering all that it's not "returning to anime" this Spring, although frankly it feels like it because all of those were marathons, so there wasn't something to look forward to every week or anything... In my brain it feels like I'm "returning to anime" although I shouldn't be getting too into it this year.
Old 2008-03-25, 00:54   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I was watching very little anime for a few months, now I'm getting back into watching it more regularly again.

Could I ask, what are some series that I should look out for this Spring? Some people have mentioned Soul Eater. Could some people recommend some highly anticipated series for the spring? I'm kind of out of the loop of what is hot and what to definately check out.

Also, I didn't watch a lot of fansubs in 2007. Anybody have a series they recommend very much? I have gotten into Spice and Wolf, but that is it.

Also, I should check out Baccano, since some people in this thread said it was overlooked and good. I will give it a shot.
Old 2008-03-25, 04:51   Link #7
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I am looking forward to the spring animes because I haven't watched much anime since I finished Higurashi in December.

So I am looking forward to some new series!!!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 07:17   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Could I ask, what are some series that I should look out for this Spring? Some people have mentioned Soul Eater. Could some people recommend some highly anticipated series for the spring? I'm kind of out of the loop of what is hot and what to definately check out.
Umm, it depends on your tastes. Being a Masamune Shirow and cyberpunk fanboy, I couldn't help but post this at the "Spring Expectations" thread. It's obviously not the only thing I'll watch, but probably the one which generates the more expectations. Look into anidb's anime calendar and see which series attract your tastes. More than that can't be done, since there's a crapload of anime series per season and they all appeal to very different tastes.

Quote:
Also, I didn't watch a lot of fansubs in 2007. Anybody have a series they recommend very much? I have gotten into Spice and Wolf, but that is it.
As wao said, Mononoke is pretty good. I still feel it didn't top Baccano in terms of enjoyment, but it certainly is a very good, non-mainstream series. Sketchbook is very good if you enjoyed the slice of life aspect of Spice and Wolf. Other than that, there's the usual flock of mainstream series (Seirei no Moribito, Gundam 00, Clannad...) but you'll be able to find enough information about them if you look for it, so I don't feel like recommending them. They're not bad, but most of times not-as-mainstream stuff is much, much more enjoyable for me. Especially since, most of times, there aren't vicious hordes of fanboys involved when discussing them.

Old 2008-03-25, 11:30   Link #9
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
mm, i'd most likely be watching a lot of the new anime titles this coming spring, though there isn't a specific one on my mind. in fact, i have litte to no knowledge about the new titles -- since thats always the last thing i ever try to do. i'm quite excited though to watch new stuff, though; and while Baccano isn't the greatest overlooked anime i've ever seen, it was definitely interesting.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 13:33   Link #10
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
While I'm returning to anime, it's not due to the Spring season titles. I haven't really watched much since early in college except for Bleach (lol). However, I've had a resurgence of interest lately, so I've been trying to catch up on what I've missed (which is a lot...).
Xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 14:34   Link #11
fatalblue
Dancin' and Dreamin'

I'll be returning. I've been pretty limited in my anime watching for the past couple of month mainly due to a lack of time. With all the work I've gotten in past month I just haven't had anytime to sit and watch anime like I use too

In all of 2007 I can only remember started no more then about 20 different shows with me only finishing only like...3 of 'em : Minamike (season 1) Mononoke, and Nodame Cantabale (The first two which I concider very excellent and entertaining). Right now the only show I've been able to muster the time,energy and interest to watch (On and off mind you) is the second Minami-ke series, Very sad....

That said my current workload is set to become a bit lighten in he coming weeks. The spring seasons also looks very promising with a good numbers I want to check out
fatalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 17:14   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not in a similar situation, but I'm in situation where I'm currently disappointed in anime and hoping that the next season will "return" greatness to anime.

As this season comes to a close, I have yet to give a 9 or 10 rating for any anime this season, which is quite sad.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 18:56   Link #13
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well I only picked out like 3 anime out of last season and I am picking out like 8-10 out of this season... So returning? No. But I sure am increasing the intake xD.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:08   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thanks, Wandering Knight. That release list should come in real handy.

I know it is hard to recommend with so much out there. But hearing people praise Baccano and some other series has me willing to try them out. I will look into Mononoke, too.

I will check out Apple Seed, could be very cool. Really, I have a lot to check out. I still wanna download shuffle (LttP).

Downloading them won't be that bad, it is just that I'll have to back up a lot to DVD, as my HD is too dang small (40 GB ).

Edit: Okay, scratch downloading shuffle...looks like I'll have to buy it. Heh, didn't know it was finally licensed. Does anybody know if they kept the ecchi in? Or did they edit it out? I hope they didn't change it.

Also, I'm going to skip on a lot of last season releases and focus mostly on the new season releases.

So far, these titles have my greatest interest:

To Love-Ru
Allison to Lillia
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Apple Seed

I will also check out Slayers. I haven't watched any seasons of Slayers before, does anyone think someone could just jump into the series?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2008-03-25 at 19:40.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:27   Link #15
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I kind of find myself agreeing with both WanderingKnight and KholdStare. When you move away from the mainstream there have been a lot of great titles over the last twelve months, but we haven't had anything truly exceptional that's just finishing up in the last couple of seasons. There have been a few "great" titles recently, like Spice and Wolf, Sketchbook, Kimikiss and so forth, but the last title I've seen that I thought was genuinely top-tier was Shigurui, which was Summer last year.

Personally I'd say Seirei no Moribito is off mainstream, mostly because it doesn't pander to any genre conventions. But, then again, just what is mainstream in these crazy, crazy times?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:43   Link #16
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
To be fair, I didn't think that this last season was bad. I enjoyed anime this season, but like Sorrow-K said, nothing was "truly exceptional" enough for me to remember. I loved some episodes of Shigofumi, but it's episodically hit and miss. True Tears might end well, but its drama wasn't that consistent from beginning to end. The jury is still out on Spice and Wolf.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:56   Link #17
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I will check out Apple Seed
Be sure to watch the first movie though! (That's another Masamune Shirow work, and you reminded me that I have to watch the second one).

Old 2008-03-26, 10:16   Link #18
Elazul

Well, I am watching a decent amount of anime as always, but most of them are from past seasons. I took only two ongoing animes to watch (Gundam 00 and Clannad). There are other interesting titles airing now, but they didn’t excited me enough to follow them.

When I saw the preview of this upcoming season. More than ten animes excited me. I found a good mix of genres too, then this will reach people of different tastes and help them to become excited with anime again.^^
Elazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 01:23   Link #19
Rooked
Everlasting

I find it's the opposite for me haha. These past seasons I've been watching less and less! I have turned my eye more towards the non-mainstream ones lately, currently watching Gankutsuo a not so recent anime.

The only new things that have truly caught my attention are:

Code Geass R2 - I watched the first season and really enjoyed it.

Blassreiter - The action CG events look amazing but I don't have my hopes up.

The rest I might look into depending on reviews and such, a pathetic list though. >_>
Rooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 04:00   Link #20
ImperialPanda

On the contrary I think I'm watching less and less anime. I think maybe a month back or so I skimmed through all the fall/winter broadcasts and came up with nothing interesting. Spice and wolf? Nope. Shana2? Couldn't even bare to sit through the opening (no exaggeration).

On the contrary, western network television has piqued my interested over the last couple months/year, with shows like dexter, 24, and jericho. I'd even take cane or journeyman over any of the anime from fall/winter.

Used to like anime but haven't been watching any recently. I could use harsher terms, but for now I'll just chalk it up to "cultural differences."

As for spring, I'll definately be watching holic2, but other than that I haven't looked into the others yet.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote