AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-07-28, 15:29   Link #1
Echolon

why isn't avi dying

just wondering, why isn't avi dying faster, when you have mkv packs instead, where you can use x264. the quality can't even be compared.
Old 2007-07-28, 16:40   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
just wondering, why isn't avi dying faster, when you have mkv packs instead, where you can use x264. the quality can't even be compared.
Two reasons:

1) Many people (if not most) lack a powerful enough processor to watch all h264 encodes properly (including myself, though only in the case of certain high resolution encodes).

2) People who like to watch things in their TV via their DVD device won't get much out of h264 and mkv without re-encoding them back into Xvid and avi.

And two things:

a) This is the wrong subforum.

b) You can be easily considered a troll due to the issue addressed (which has incited many a flamewar) and the fact that it's your first post.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-28, 17:29   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
1) Like WanderingKnight said, mkv and mp4 files only run on my computer if it's not overheating (on for a long time) so it can be convenient.

2) I'm used to using Windows Media Player to play my files, and that player sucks and it will mess up some mkv/ogm files. I don't want to use 10 different players if possible and I don't really like VLC.
Old 2007-07-28, 18:44   Link #4
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echolon View Post
My mac doesn't display softsubs very well...and I don't feel like going into the terminal to coax it to. Also, when I had windows, it lagged my system. Oh, and I can also change the fourcc code to DivX and play it on my DVD player!
Old 2007-07-28, 19:23   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's almost like asking why isn't FTP dying or Usenet? (okay... gopher is pretty dead).

But until most players can handle h264 or mkv .... avi is pretty much the cross-platform winner for the time being since taking the time to convert files is a bother after the novelty wears off.

<shrug> in audio we have about 10 formats in common use after all...
Old 2007-07-28, 21:06   Link #6
tritoch

About a year ago, only a few groups release stuff in the .mkv container. Right now it is growing. It is only a matter of time before people dump their old pc's and get newer ones to watch x264 stuff.
Old 2007-07-28, 22:06   Link #7
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Think about who developed avi. Microsoft.

Think about the population of Fansubbers. 500 at very most. Maybe 200 that are still activate at very most.

Think about the number of people that actually care. Maybe 100-150,000.

Think about the world population. 7 billion ?

Think about the number of people that own a computer. 400 million(+) give or take?

Now think about the people that have knowledge about the different containers. 500-500,000 such a wide range.

And take into consideration how many different types(Occupation wise?) use a computer.

A decent sum of people will be using avi.

And as long as one of the most popular OS's out there Supports it, expect it to be supported.
Old 2007-07-28, 23:19   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
<shrug> in audio we have about 10 formats in common use after all...
I keep finding new audio formats every month or so. Just the other day I discovered .ape... Had a hell of a good time wondering how to play that with xine (gave up in the process, ended up re-encoding it to flac).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-29, 12:14   Link #9
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiju32 View Post
My mac doesn't display softsubs very well...and I don't feel like going into the terminal to coax it to. Also, when I had windows, it lagged my system. Oh, and I can also change the fourcc code to DivX and play it on my DVD player!
Got a Mac? Get Perian! [URL="http://www.perian.org"[/URL]. Not only does it support mkv and softsubs fairly efficiently without needing a separate player, but their h264 decoder is far superior to Apple's gimptastic implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
A decent sum of people will be using avi.

And as long as one of the most popular OS's out there Supports it, expect it to be supported.
The question though isn't why lots of people use avis, it's why fansubbers use lots of avis even though mkv is better for subbing. The answer to which is largely processor limitations. Plenty of people with otherwise functional older machines simply can't play h264 files properly, particularly in the higher resolutions. Whereas those of us with big processors and big screens prefer the higher resolutions. So I expect to see years where lots of people put out dual releases, one smaller in XviD/avi, one bigger in h264/mkv.

Right now if you look at subs with dual releases, 3 out of 4 downloads are taking XviD. If I were releasing fansubs, I'd continue that practice until 9 out of 10 people were taking the h264 version. That point is years away.

Edit: I just noticed that between my avatar, WanderingKnight's, and Vexx's, purple hair is fashionable.

Last edited by mukansa monkey; 2007-07-29 at 12:16. Reason: Incidental Comment
Old 2007-07-29, 12:21   Link #10
anselfir
Style Über Alles

quality? if i want quality i'll go see the doc about glasses, since my vision is the bottleneck for quality
Old 2007-07-29, 13:10   Link #11
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Well now, that sounds like a personal problem. :P

Then again, even if your vision sucks, if you start out with a lousier image, what you're going to see is a lousier image. People tend to forget that the resolution of the human eye is far, far higher than the resolution of a computer monitor. And if the image on that low-resolution monitor has various compression artifacts in it, that's even more noticeable. So even if you have really poor eyesight, that largely means that you have trouble focusing, doesn't mean you can't perceive the difference between a really nice image and a not-so-nice one.

If your eye has as few light receptors as a computer screen has pixels, what you are is legally blind, not in need of glasses.
Old 2007-07-29, 14:27   Link #12
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
Got a Mac? Get Perian! [URL="http://www.perian.org"[/URL]. Not only does it support mkv and softsubs fairly efficiently without needing a separate player, but their h264 decoder is far superior to Apple's gimptastic implementation.
Thanks! I didn't even know this existed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
People tend to forget that the resolution of the human eye is far, far higher than the resolution of a computer monitor.
If I remember correctly, they've estimated the human eye's resolution at 324 Megapixels. Which after a little bit of shuffling numbers around, I came up with a near perfect 16:9 aspect ratio. The number of "pixels" in your eye would be around 324,000,000 pixels.

My MacBook Pro's display (1440 x 900) only has 1,296,000 pixels
Old 2007-07-30, 11:08   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
About a year ago, only a few groups release stuff in the .mkv container. Right now it is growing. It is only a matter of time before people dump their old pc's and get newer ones to watch x264 stuff.
too bad that i dont see DVD players coming soon that support MKV and OGM files..
even with a new pc id stick to AVI, cause then id be able to watch it on my tv and not in a cramped space behind a desk.. no i'll enjoy the couch rather much thank you and yes i hate encoding every file i get my hands on every week, i hope technology produes another miracle in that sector

as for quality, there are tons avi like fils with good quality, some even look like normal dvd stuff when i watch it on TV, it all depends on who youre picking.. let alone when im watching it on tv im not as close to the screen as behind the pc, which means i dont see every little quality glitch...
i just make sure i got enough quality for an avi file before burning it
Old 2007-07-30, 12:05   Link #14
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
too bad that i dont see DVD players coming soon that support MKV and OGM files..
even with a new pc id stick to AVI, cause then id be able to watch it on my tv and not in a cramped space behind a desk.. no i'll enjoy the couch rather much thank you and yes i hate encoding every file i get my hands on every week, i hope technology produes another miracle in that sector

as for quality, there are tons avi like fils with good quality, some even look like normal dvd stuff when i watch it on TV, it all depends on who youre picking.. let alone when im watching it on tv im not as close to the screen as behind the pc, which means i dont see every little quality glitch...
i just make sure i got enough quality for an avi file before burning it
You do know that fansubs are not meant to be watched on a television? For that there are DVDs. You are really making it only worse for yourself if you try to watch a fansub on a standard definition TV... n_n

/me suggests a TV-Out cable as the best option (and a digital LCD TV, analogue should finally die off some day)
Old 2007-07-30, 14:59   Link #15
Echolon

i would say a computer upgrade is needed if it can't handle an mkv container . with h264.

if you don't buy a laptop, since they seems to have a real problem with h264, (especially mine doesn't love the new ghost in the shell movie :P)
but the stationary comp has no problem at all running h264 without overheating, (if the comp manages to overheat actually from watching h264 then a new one is sorely needed :P).. and mac,, won't go into that since i see it as running with one leg when it comes to gaming.

and thanks for moving the post, and its not a troll, was just wondering, and i didn't register before since i just read the forums mostly and don't often see any point in answering. (mostly because i don't have the time to actually sit down and read the whole post).

Last edited by Echolon; 2007-07-30 at 15:02. Reason: forgot something.
Old 2007-07-30, 15:06   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You do know that fansubs look just fine on my standard NTSC television if they're scaled and boxed correctly? I rescale (with mencoder) to 576x432 or 576x324 depending on the aspect ratio. If I drop this onto a 640x480 black box and encode with XviD in AVI, the resulting files play quite well using my LG DVD player and my traditional television.

Like -Karuma-, I often prefer to watch anime from the couch. I spend enough time in front of my computer as it is.
Old 2007-07-30, 15:19   Link #17
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
You do know that fansubs are not meant to be watched on a television? For that there are DVDs. You are really making it only worse for yourself if you try to watch a fansub on a standard definition TV... n_n

/me suggests a TV-Out cable as the best option (and a digital LCD TV, analogue should finally die off some day)
This was why I built an HTPC. I'm also sick of having so many appliances.
Old 2007-07-30, 16:29   Link #18
sothis

as a non fansubber, i personally get incredibly irritated at the mkv format. as i need to take screenshots for every database entry i put up on my site, having no avi version is terribly inconvenient. nothing beats vdub/vdubmod for taking screenshots (as you can easily scan through the file, then go frame by frame to find a good scene, etc) as opposed to any other player. with mkvs, i often can't even use mpc or other capturing tools, so i end up having to turn layers off on regular old WMP, do a print screen, and then cut them up manually... ANNOYING! even if i do that, i never get nearly as many good shots as using vdub, due to not being able to scan around as easy.

so yeah. i always ALWAYS get the avi version if it exists, simply so i can take the damn screenshots.
Old 2007-07-30, 17:32   Link #19
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
as a non fansubber, i personally get incredibly irritated at the mkv format. as i need to take screenshots for every database entry i put up on my site, having no avi version is terribly inconvenient. nothing beats vdub/vdubmod for taking screenshots (as you can easily scan through the file, then go frame by frame to find a good scene, etc) as opposed to any other player. with mkvs, i often can't even use mpc or other capturing tools, so i end up having to turn layers off on regular old WMP, do a print screen, and then cut them up manually... ANNOYING! even if i do that, i never get nearly as many good shots as using vdub, due to not being able to scan around as easy.

so yeah. i always ALWAYS get the avi version if it exists, simply so i can take the damn screenshots.
Then you are quite frankly an idiot for doing that (and probably been doing for quite some time)... :V

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...8&postcount=65
http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#Taking_screenshots_and_grabbin g_frames
Old 2007-07-30, 23:12   Link #20
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echolon View Post
because avi is not alive from the start