AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to kill off unpopular characters or see them develop?
YES. Kill off the unpopular ones 18 66.67%
NO..DEVELOP DEVELOP DEVELOP but do not kill 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-17, 14:45   Link #1
epyon96

[Manga] Would you have all the unpopular characters die or developed?

Just curious, would you like the unpopular characters eliminated so the popular characters (that you like) get more screentime? Or give them an opportunity to introduce fresh new characters that are more popular. This kind of emulates the NBC Heroes TV drama style of doing things.

Or would you rather have the unpopular ones develop into potentially more popular ones?

My vote goes to elimination to bring about new characters. So in other words, to be more specific, I suggest killing off Ino, Sakura, Chochi, and Shino in order to perhaps bring more new characters in. I am fairly happy to see Asuma die. He was not unpopular but it helped develop other characters with his death. This hesitation to kill characters slightly annoys me because it feels too DBZ'ish where the good characters never die or always gets wished back.

Epyon
epyon96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 14:52   Link #2
Sasuke_Bateman
No

hell yes! Ino, Lee , Fat man
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:03   Link #3
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

I'm all for the death of the unpopular and popular ones.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:41   Link #4
Yellowflash221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I'm all for the death of the unpopular and popular ones.
But then there'd be no characters.

I say death to Ino and keep the others.
Yellowflash221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:47   Link #5
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Kill everyone, revive some of the dead good guys, and let's call it a day.
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:56   Link #6
Sasuke_Bateman
No

Oh yeah Gai too, i never liked it.
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 17:07   Link #7
reloaded
skywalker

dnt hav the unpopular characters killed but just let them fade into the background, i would like to see some new powerful good and bad ninjas introduced.
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 17:15   Link #8
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloaded View Post
dnt hav the unpopular characters killed but just let them fade into the background, i would like to see some new powerful good and bad ninjas introduced.
new ninjas, that would make Naruto's plot bad. And trying to focus on newer strong ninjas would push back, not only unpopular characters, but some of the here and there main characters.
Old 2007-05-17, 17:23   Link #9
reloaded
skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
new ninjas, that would make Naruto's plot bad. And trying to focus on newer strong ninjas would push back, not only unpopular characters, but some of the here and there main characters.
Not currently, maybe somewhere in the future. This has already been done throughout Naruto.
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 17:58   Link #10
epyon96

Bare in mind that more deaths does not mean more gore. I rather have it artistically done. In fact, most of the injuries could have been deaths if they did not push a plot device into it.

I think deaths of characters in animes make a more dramatic and mature plotline.

Epyon
Old 2007-05-17, 18:31   Link #11
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash221 View Post
But then there'd be no characters.

I say death to Ino and keep the others.
I didn't say all of them. Not all at once anyway.
There isn't enough death among the characters to actually wonder about the outcome of their fights. We know they will survive.
Watching Asuma dying pathetically was a good thing but he was absolutely nothing storywise and his death has been so heavily foreshadowed it was no surprise at all.
Chouji, Neji or Gaara could have made good death scenes to make the rest of the secondary characters's future interesting but alas...
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 18:35   Link #12
tkdtiger

Characters that are popular for one person may be unpopular for the next person...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 18:42   Link #13
Yellowflash221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
Characters that are popular for one person may be unpopular for the next person...
Popular doesn't mean one person likes the character. It means many people like the character. A character can be popular but disliked by some people.
Example: Sasuke is a popular character but I don't like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I didn't say all of them. Not all at once anyway.
There isn't enough death among the characters to actually wonder about the outcome of their fights. We know they will survive.
Watching Asuma dying pathetically was a good thing but he was absolutely nothing storywise and his death has been so heavily foreshadowed it was no surprise at all.
Chouji, Neji or Gaara could have made good death scenes to make the rest of the secondary characters's future interesting but alas...
Ok I get what your saying but I don't want all the characters to start dying off even if it's gradual.
Gaara dying would have been good since he turned good already and showed he cared about his village by saving them from Deidara. I don't mind having Gaara still alive though but I think he should be doing some fighting.
Chouji is pretty useless plotwise so he can die.
Neji shouldn't die yet. He hasn't shown his true power yet and he hasn't accomplished his goal of surpassing the main branch and getting accepted by the main branch.
Yellowflash221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 18:50   Link #14
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash221 View Post
Popular doesn't mean one person likes the character. It means many people like the character. A character can be popular but disliked by some people.
Example: Sasuke is a popular character but I don't like him.
What I meant was that a character may be popular for a small group of people, but not to another group of people. Popular actually doesn't nec. refer to a group of people though. Yes it's normally used in context with a group of people, but can also simply mean that a person is regarded with favor. One person can have a great affection for a person and that person is regarded as popular. For example since you don't like Sasuke he's unpopular to you.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:57   Link #15
epyon96

Quote:
What I meant was that a character may be popular for a small group of people, but not to another group of people. Popular actually doesn't nec. refer to a group of people though. Yes it's normally used in context with a group of people, but can also simply mean that a person is regarded with favor. One person can have a great affection for a person and that person is regarded as popular. For example since you don't like Sasuke he's unpopular to you.
There is only one definition of popular: number of fans of character. Not how much a particular person likes a character. One person's opinion is not more important than the others.

That being said, someone mentioned earlier about killing Neji. I was pretty sure that he is among the highest ranked characters in popularity polls. But despite that, I would not mind him dying if it drives the plot.

Epyon
Old 2007-05-17, 18:59   Link #16
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
It's not that he's unpopular to him, he just doesn't like him. Just because someone like say a celebrity such as Jessica Alba or someone is popular doesn't mean you have to like them, but they are still popular none the less. kthxbye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like Sasuke to die but that would drop a lot of innovation and plot in Naruto.
Old 2007-05-17, 19:02   Link #17
Deathwing
what do i know

thin the ranks and allow some minor characters to develop as a result
right now there are just to many for any of them to be developed and doing so would just push back the main plot
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 19:03   Link #18
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyon96 View Post
There is only one definition of popular: number of fans of character. Not how much a particular person likes a character. One person's opinion is not more important than the others.

That being said, someone mentioned earlier about killing Neji. I was pretty sure that he is among the highest ranked characters in popularity polls. But despite that, I would not mind him dying if it drives the plot.
I see so you mean popularity based on overall fan base. Then still that doesn't really mean anything. One character may be popular in one region and unpopular in another region.
I'm just saying because one definition of popular is somthing that is "regarded with favor, approval, or affection by an acquaintance or acquaintances"
and that you said that the characters that "(you like)" I assumed that you meant the characters that an individual thought was popular.
anyways I think what I'm trying to say is that when you start killing off characters that you think are unpopular there will be a group of people who are disappointed. I personally think that lowering the amount in Naruto would be a good thing. for examples.
Spoiler:

Last edited by tkdtiger; 2007-05-17 at 19:17.
Old 2007-05-17, 19:16   Link #19
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

I think the tone of this series is overall too light-hearted to be killing off main/secondary characters every arc . It would be hard to maintain the comedic aspect of the story if a significant number of characters died. Maybe this could work if the story was more RPG-like: a core group of heroes wandering around and characters joining and later leaving the party sometimes because of death, but all the heroes of this story come from one community and spent most of their lives with each other, the impacts of the deaths are much more serious. Killing off unpopular characters isn't even necessary to develop the popular ones. They can just be ignored like Iruka is or written out for other reasons like Kurenai was.

Naruto is already way more generous with death than the manga stories it's most often compared with, Bleach and Once Piece. Almost no one dies in these manga, not even the villains. Naruto already has a high body count of no-name characters, one-shot characters and villains. Sarutobi and Asuma (to a lesser extent) were good death scenes. IMO, Naruto only needs the death of maybe 1 or 2 more significant good guys to balance things out.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 19:21   Link #20
tkdtiger

well characters that I think could be killed off with no significant loss would be
Spoiler: