AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 17:46   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

14 GB raw? (PV3, .dv)

Okay, this is more just to satisfy my curiosity, but has any group ever used a raw like this?

For Yes! Pretty Cure 5 - 07, I managed to get my hands on what might be the most insane raw I've ever seen... A perfect digital 1440x1080 capture in some strange hardware proprietary compression format (with a .dv and .dvi file) from some company called "earth soft"... It was 14 GB and essentially flawless. And that's for 22 minutes.

Why some person decided to share it, I have no clue. I couldn't even play it back in real time...

But is this a trend, or simply a fluke?
Sam Pinansky

Last edited by Quarkboy; 2007-03-23 at 17:59.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 17:56   Link #2
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

I found a 1.5gb and a 3gb .ps and .ts file for Les Miserables. Also 1440x1080, but 14gb really does take the biscuit.
Old 2007-03-23, 18:08   Link #3
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Ooh, I found some more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8196730

It seems like it's actually an analogue capture, from some japanese, $250, cheap capture card that captures to 1440 x 1080i

More scary, it seems that timecop has one .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-23, 18:58   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

timecop has a lot of things (such as transport streams from BS-i for example) and is apparently a quite accomplished capper and copyright protection cracker. A pity he doesn't share more. Although with the community being what it is, and timecop being what he is, I'm not surprised in the slightest.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 19:10   Link #5
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

14gb raw....that must've taken long time to d/l (ie. 1day ish to 2 days at most)
Its rare to see raws like that unless a DVD raw which then i even doubt that 22minutes would take that much space like that.

also: timecop shouldn't have to share, it's a pity people either A. Don't go buy things like this and B. Ask someone to share what he's bootlegged.
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 23:12   Link #6
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
14gb raw....that must've taken long time to d/l (ie. 1day ish to 2 days at most)
Its rare to see raws like that unless a DVD raw which then i even doubt that 22minutes would take that much space like that.

also: timecop shouldn't have to share, it's a pity people either A. Don't go buy things like this and B. Ask someone to share what he's bootlegged.
The biggest a DVD raw ever gets is about 2 GB an episode (that's for a single sided DVD with 2 episodes on it). Obviously no DVD raw could ever be 14 GB because it wouldn't even fit on a single DVD9!

It looks like you can pick up one of these capture cards on yahoo auctions in japan for about $320, which is amazingly cheap, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of high resolution raws are originally capped with these types of cards. Of course, for someone to actually "share" it... Well, I don't know what got into them. It took about 36 hours to download at an average of more than 400 Kb/s...

And I'm a bit confused by what you mean "buy things like this". Do you mean buy non-existent DVDs? The show just aired, and in any case, DVDs are far lower quality than this raw anyway. There wouldn't be a legal way to purchase it anyway. Actually, I would totally buy my own capture card, and might do it when i'm in japan, depending on how much it would REALLY cost.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-24, 00:51   Link #7
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Well things like this as in technical stuff I suppose. But for a fansub standard those type of raws, which are about as popular as HD DVDs (Blu-ray ftw), wouldn't be used. Definitely if the container is is a format like that. And troublesome most likely to make a work raw out of it nor could you upload that to an ftp because that'd be the best way to kill through 100gb+ worth of bandwidth
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 10:10   Link #8
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Hmmm if only we had access to more Japanese program/transport streams. Even their upconverts are a relatively good bitrate!

Quote:
File Size Processed: 19.07 GB, Play Time: 02h:35m:52s
1440 x 1080, 29.97 fps, 17.45 Mbps (16.89 Mbps Average).
Good stuff.

I've seen this happen many times from people with various HD providers who want to cap it; they say "hey, why can't I just get a capture card? uncompressed hd ftw!" Usually there's a far easier way to get at the stream, whether it be via the STB or via your PC with a DVB-S/S2 card. timecop even has a page where he lays out his little projects in this department (his latest one is a USB solution to archive D-VHS/D-Theater - awesome). His method at getting the goods is similar to other providers (like Sky), just the encryption is different I'm guessing.

Quote:
which are about as popular as HD DVDs (Blu-ray ftw)
Hurr hurr.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 19:04   Link #9
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Ooh, I found some more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8196730

It seems like it's actually an analogue capture, from some japanese, $250, cheap capture card that captures to 1440 x 1080i

More scary, it seems that timecop has one .
What is this capture card? Is this the same as TV tunner card which allows you to record tv shows with your computer? Besides, I thought analogue capture was just record it using VCR?
Old 2007-03-27, 19:09   Link #10
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
AFAIK, a capture card doesn't need to have a tuner... Any video card with VIVO (Video-In and Video-Out) can be used as a capture card. All you need to do is connect to your card to your TV's output sockets rather than to the coaxial cable.
Old 2007-03-27, 21:54   Link #11
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
AFAIK, a capture card doesn't need to have a tuner... Any video card with VIVO (Video-In and Video-Out) can be used as a capture card. All you need to do is connect to your card to your TV's output sockets rather than to the coaxial cable.
Any recommendation? I am interested but I fail to see why a TV tunner card is better than a capture card.
Old 2007-03-27, 22:00   Link #12
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

A TV tuner card will let u change the channels on a computer.

the method starks is taking about will use a real TV as a channel tuner and then your computer as a monitor, so both of them have to be turned on,
unless you have a newer digital cable box that has composite/ svideo out or similar.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 14:53   Link #13
JediNight
キズランダム

I'm not surprised timecop has one, lol... I remember getting a few OTwins .TS from him a few years ago before they encrypted most of the satellite streams. I wasn't aware that the encryption has now been cracked?

14GB seems way overkill though ... most .TS files from satellite are like 1-2gb in size so...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 22:02   Link #14
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I'm not surprised timecop has one, lol... I remember getting a few OTwins .TS from him a few years ago before they encrypted most of the satellite streams. I wasn't aware that the encryption has now been cracked?

14GB seems way overkill though ... most .TS files from satellite are like 1-2gb in size so...
Yeah, I wasn't quite right, it wasn't a sattelite stream directly but an analogue HD capture. The reason it's 14 GB is because the real-time compression format that the board uses is obviously pretty weak.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-30, 14:49   Link #15
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I wasn't aware that the encryption has now been cracked?
Not cracked, but you can use a softcam and decrypt the streams with a legit subscription card.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote