Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-06, 12:06   Link #1
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Exclamation 4Kids to STOP Dubbing One Piece!

From ANN:
Quote:
4Kids Cancels One Piece Production (2006-12-06 11:06:38)
4Kids Marketing Director Roz Nowicki has confirmed that the company will not adapt additional episodes of One Piece. 4Kids has dubbed 104 episodes of the series into English, 78 of which have aired in the United States.
So, after making our ears bleed for more than 2 years, should this be welcomed as good, if not GREAT news?
Old 2006-12-06, 12:18   Link #2
Slayerx

I rank it as only good news... it's good that its the end of bastardization, but unfortunatly the damgae has already been done.

Now, if we got news that a good dubber would be picking it up and showing all of one piece the way it was meant to be shown, now that would be great news... Unfortunatly i don't see that really happening, after the damgae done by 4kids i don't think any company will really want to touch it... and if they did, i doubt they would re-do all the episode 4kids did and instead just pick up from where they left off; unfortunatly they would probably keep the same crappy voice actors too, only difference would be less editing...

Though i do wonder what it was that sparked this change in 4kids... the unpopularity of the edited version, The fact that they realized that the serious was VERY long (thus not worth budding unless it had something like DBZ popularity), or was it perhaps they realized that they would not be able to edit out all the violence that was to come up in the series?If it's either of the later 2 then 4kids are EVEN MORE complete morons for not having the foresight to see that coming....

Last edited by Slayerx; 2006-12-06 at 12:30.
Old 2006-12-06, 12:34   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It is possible that Viz will release an uncut version of One Piece as they did with Naruto.

The Naruto Uncut DVDs come with English and Japanese language tracks and English subtitles (and of course is uncut, not the version shown on American TV). Viz could release a "One Piece Uncut" version, or at least I hope they do.
Old 2006-12-06, 15:18   Link #4
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Good news, good news. Took long enough to happen. And I hope xris is right.
Old 2006-12-06, 15:59   Link #5
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

That would be nice. Anything 4kids drops has a better future XD So Im glad that this happened.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2006-12-06, 16:56   Link #6
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

i wonder which dubbing company will take One Piece and dub it again where 4kids left off....but yes, as slayerx has said, 4kids has done its damage, by skipping ALOT of episodes, cutting out alot of violent scenes and giving crappy voices, i wonder if its even possible for any dubbing company to repair this....plus not to mention the three one piece games that have been released....
but i think its possible, i remember Dragonball Z being super edited and crappy dubs in its early years before funimation decided to pick it up again and re-do it....
but i really hope Funimation or Viz decides to pick up on it and continue from the Alabasta arc....but i'm sure alot of kids would be wondering what happened to their voices and why there is so much violence now...hahahahah
but its no surprise why Toonami hasn't been showing any new One Piece lately.....but i hope One Piece comes back, better and in more original form than what 4kids had done to it....
Old 2006-12-06, 17:24   Link #7
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It is possible that Viz will release an uncut version of One Piece as they did with Naruto.
Viz so far has said they do not plan to do this for One Piece. I don't know why this would change now, considering One Piece's popularity in the US has not increased.
Unless Viz takes over the series and tries to market it with less edits and succeeds, but that's being too hopeful.

I am glad that 4kids' dub failed, though. This example should not be taken lightly. I really do believe that it was 4kids' awful handling of the production and marketing that caused One Piece to fail so badly.
Old 2006-12-06, 20:35   Link #8
strategos

Lets start writting emals to Viz for them to take over One Piece uncut!
Victory!!!
Does this mean, that One Piece will not be consider as liscense for now?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
Old 2006-12-06, 20:48   Link #9
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
Ya i was kinda wondering the same thing how that works in terms of forums rules...
However, the manga is still licenced, and so are atleast those 104 dubbed episodes of one piece... and seeing as i highly doubt you could find a source for one piece downloads that doesn't include either of those two, it's probably best to just keep doing things the same way we have been doing
Old 2006-12-06, 23:01   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

heh. Any end to the butchery is good news.
Old 2006-12-06, 23:12   Link #11
Supersonic
King of the l33t
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Supersonic
Quote:
As far as the powers that be here are concerned, as long as an American company has the legal right to publish any episode in a given series, that whole series is tainted. At least that's my understanding of it.
Old 2006-12-06, 23:34   Link #12
strategos

Wouldnt they only have the power of the episode they released?
For example ADV, only has like 60 episode of Fist of the north start until they lose the liscense. So this mean, that the episode from Jaya to the recent ones arent liscense; as well the movies. They hold the liscense, but if they dont buy more episodes, then the other episodes after the ones they dub arent consider liscense.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
Old 2006-12-06, 23:35   Link #13
Kazuki Muto
Crazed Ino fan boy

Send a message via MSN to Kazuki Muto Send a message via Yahoo to Kazuki Muto
Thats good except I think 4 kids still gets the rights to one piece dvds, video games, cards, figures etc.

But even If they dont have the anime we still have to hear those horriable dub voices.
Old 2006-12-07, 06:40   Link #14
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Just because they are no longer going to dub any new episodes after 104, it doesn't mean they no longer hold the license.

And Viz are still releasing the DVDs, there has been no word from them as to what they plan to do after episode 104.

So as far as AnimeSuki is concerned, One Piece is still licensed.
Old 2006-12-07, 07:03   Link #15
Climhazard
Funk Freed

What part of the story is the dub at?
Old 2006-12-07, 07:05   Link #16
striderm
Adusa #1

I think they got up to the point where Luffy beat Crocodile. They skipped over some filler too I think.

Last one I remember accidently checking out was Vivi's past with Kohza.

Goddamn Sanji sounds like the worst kinda frog I'm so glad their reign of terror is over.

Edit: So according to Wiki they turned the first 143 Japanese episodes into 104 dub episodes. So that's after beating Crocodile and the filler arc that's after it.
Old 2006-12-07, 07:23   Link #17
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderm View Post
Edit: So according to Wiki they turned the first 143 Japanese episodes into 104 dub episodes. So that's after beating Crocodile and the filler arc that's after it.
That's interesting, they used the content of the first 143 episodes to create the 104 4Kids episodes. Didn't know they "wasted" so much material. More reason to hope for an "uncut" release by Viz.
Old 2006-12-07, 08:58   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, I normally don't disagree with Xris, but on this one I'm going to have to. According to what I understand from my sources, 4kids only has the licence for the first 150 episodes with option to purchase more. Viz has the first 100 with options as well. Toei and whoever else was involved only sold them a limited number to start with. That's pretty standard on shows with large numbers of episodes. There apparently isn't a single all inclusive licence out there that I'm aware of for shows greater than 52 episodes. Considering they licence each episode by the frame, licencing more than 52 episodes at one time is hugely expensive. Prohibitively to some degree. The only all inclusive licences out there are for shows of 52 episodes or less and that's only because there aren't anymore beyond the original 52.

The way I understand the contract from how it was explained to me is that they licenced the first 150 episodes outright with options to licence the remaining episodes in increments of 25-100 episodes whenever they were ready. I think Viz took theirs as 100 outright and increments of 50 as they needed them. Also they only have the rights to sell/produce/dub/etc one piece for 5 years unless the licence is revoked or renewed. The licence also apparently has a clause in it that says that it may be renewed only once more. Any further licence extentions will require a new contract. Legally 4kids and Viz have already burned up 2 1/2 years of that 5 year licence window from my understanding given the date of the contract signing as the start of the licence period. (actually signing of the contract was well before the actual announcement of licencing) What this means is that currently, episodes 151+ are *NOT* licenced by legal definition. At least not until 4kids or Viz takes their options within their respective contracts and licences more.

I'm no lawyer, but that's the way I understand the terms of the contract as it was explained to me. Sure, this probubly does nothing to change AnimeSuki's policy on OP being licenced, but I did at least want to clarify that. So to further clarify, episodes 151+ are what I'll call "proto-licenced". IE, not licenced, but they are stipulated in the respective contracts and may be licenced and have their sale and distribution rights purchased at any time with no announcement needing to be made.

Personally, I'd love to see 4kids get their contract canceled. That'd be joy beyond joy. Too bad Toei is making too much money from this butchering to even consider it.
Old 2006-12-07, 11:19   Link #19
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Well, I'm sorry to say that "your understanding" of how you think it works has nothing to do with anything

And even by "your understanding", 4Kids still have 5 years to decide if they want to continue the licensed and dub more episodes (BTW, the 5 years runs from when the show was last active, not from when they signed the contract, at least that's how contract such as this normally apply).

And even if Viz only have the first 100, they can if they wish continue to obtain more episodes. There is no reason to think it's tied in with what 4Kids do. And the comment "it may be renewed only once more" is out of context, I doubt it has anything to do with what you seem to think it does.

But bottom line... we don't really know. It's conjecture. You may think it's correct but I think you are applying snippets you've heard and sloting them in the wrong holes. But all this is just my opinion

As I said, we (AnimeSuki) consider all of One Piece licensed at this point in time.
Old 2006-12-07, 11:44   Link #20
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, I was just trying to say that by legal definition, *all* is an incorrect statement since not *all* the episodes are legally licenced yet. By Animesuki definitions though I do agree with you. Even if they haven't picked up the other episodes it's still safest to treat them as licenced since the additional episodes are technically theirs. All they have to do is pay for them to complete the transaction.

Also, you're right that Viz and 4kids licences are different and mutually exclusive. I thought I had said that, but apparently I failed to communicate that correctly. heh. ^_^;; BTW, I'm working off insider info. I never claim it to be 100% accurate. I do however use it as a point of reference since it's the best one I have.
Closed Thread