AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: Should groups have IRC channels
YES 43 63.24%
NO 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-12-31, 09:11   Link #1
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Send a message via AIM to Worldestroyer Send a message via MSN to Worldestroyer
"We Suck" and IRC

After thinking about this, i just wanted to say that "We Suck" and some other groups need IRC channels. It would help there distro greatly, and allow people to download the episode and help seed even after something like what happened with scarywater yesterday happens again. I think having a IRC channel for a sub group would help greatly. Thats my opinion.

Last edited by Worldestroyer; 2004-01-06 at 19:07.
Worldestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 09:23   Link #2
GipFace

IMHO a frequently updated web site is better (animesuki.com is one example ^_^), but anyway ...

With BT and sites like these, public IRC channels are becoming obsolete because no one chats. The small talk that happens gets ignored because the messages scroll off the screen in a matter of minutes because of all the joinparts, and most people don't stare at the chat window 24/7. Most of the channels I'm in that actually have a lot of chat going are either private, are general fansubber channels (open round-table for everyone, no group affiliation needed), or are not associated with anime/fansubs at all.

With that being said, I vote NO.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 10:28   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Groups don't necessarily need IRC channels. DCC is not as efficient as BitTorrent, and the fansubbing chat could be done on any instant-messaging network.
Old 2003-12-31, 14:12   Link #4
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Groups don't necessarily need IRC channels. DCC is not as efficient as BitTorrent, and the fansubbing chat could be done on any instant-messaging network.

Bull. BitTorrent is still a damn buggy program. It is also dependant on seeds. I see it all the time on irc "CAN SOME ONE SEED SO AND SO EP" with irc you just wait in queue and you get a send.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 14:28   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
Bull. BitTorrent is still a damn buggy program. It is also dependant on seeds. I see it all the time on irc "CAN SOME ONE SEED SO AND SO EP" with irc you just wait in queue and you get a send.
Yes, but to be a decent fserv you need a decent amount of bandwith. With bittorrent you need much much less bandwith. For example that FFS naruto ep was seeded on 56k. Although it might have taken a while for it to intially distribute its self it was quite effective in distributing to everyone.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 14:42   Link #6
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
with irc you just wait in queue and you get a send.
So what you're saying is you'd like a return to the least efficient distribution system ever, next to SASE shipping.
You wait in your lines, OK? I'll get a few more eps in the mean time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JAppi again.
Not again...
Old 2003-12-31, 14:49   Link #7
lighter junkie
Pyromaniac

by the way, if WE SUCK really do get a channel on IRC, dont put it in aniverse, since they ban aol memebers. lol. i wonder why something so widely despised is so popular.
lighter junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 15:15   Link #8
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ashibaka again.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 15:15   Link #9
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Because the majority of the public is stupid that's why. =p
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 16:15   Link #10
Thany
Unfair

I voted no, because I think IRC isn't that interesting for a fansub and that they should just use bittorent (although I'm perma camping IRC )....
Old 2003-12-31, 17:12   Link #11
Shii
*Fansubber

Hehe, I put my group's channel on Jabber just to spite all the IRC lurkers
Old 2003-12-31, 18:08   Link #12
Thelastguardian

To have a good tranmission network you need an efficient communication net.

Yes bt is a good network for transferring, but where is the cmmunication part? You need to exchange ideas, suggestions, or even planning realtime. Don't say forums like animesuki can take the role (sry mod no insult intended) because they couldnt. People prefer chat live (or else why would IM be so popular). So while bt and sites are good, irc channels are essential.

you guys had been spoil too much by bt. I won't waste your time by saying 'in my age' or something equally as dumb, but you should remember, the people who does fansub are human themselves. They like to get reactions from other people. And when I say reactions I mean live conversation, not some numbers on a tracker's page or a few posts on a forum that say 'good' job'

Irc is a society by itself. On forum too often people are afraid to speak out, but in channel since the msg gets scroll so quickly, people are more willing to talk. Not only that, because the channel is not restricted by the topic, that means people can talk anything they want in the channel provided they dont go against the rule. The topic can change from should US bomb Iraq to why a programming code wont work in a few minutes. It is more than fansub channnel, this is also the way for anime fans to talk to each other on issues not limited to anime. You see this kind of similar events happening in forums? Not too often I bet.

just my 2 cents.
Old 2003-12-31, 18:40   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
So what you're saying is you'd like a return to the least efficient distribution system ever, next to SASE shipping.
You wait in your lines, OK? I'll get a few more eps in the mean time.

Not again...

If you think Bt is efficient then you need your head checked :P
Old 2003-12-31, 18:41   Link #14
DekaMaster
Banned

Really it doesn't matter if wesuck has an irc channel does it? How many projects are they doing that would need servers?
Old 2003-12-31, 19:09   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
If you think Bt is efficient then you need your head checked :P
Well, in the long run, it's more efficient than anything else in terms of bandwidth of the entire distro team versus the download speeds of leechers.
I mean... at Seichi, we had seeded maloki from ONE connection for a long time before we got an actual distro, and the distro went fine. Sure, people had to wait a bit near the beginning, but once the thing started going, you got much better speeds than if we had added 300% more servers and had them serve in the channel.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 19:27   Link #16
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
To have a good tranmission network you need an efficient communication net.

Yes bt is a good network for transferring, but where is the cmmunication part? You need to exchange ideas, suggestions, or even planning realtime. Don't say forums like animesuki can take the role (sry mod no insult intended) because they couldnt. People prefer chat live (or else why would IM be so popular). So while bt and sites are good, irc channels are essential.

you guys had been spoil too much by bt. I won't waste your time by saying 'in my age' or something equally as dumb, but you should remember, the people who does fansub are human themselves. They like to get reactions from other people. And when I say reactions I mean live conversation, not some numbers on a tracker's page or a few posts on a forum that say 'good' job'

Irc is a society by itself. On forum too often people are afraid to speak out, but in channel since the msg gets scroll so quickly, people are more willing to talk. Not only that, because the channel is not restricted by the topic, that means people can talk anything they want in the channel provided they dont go against the rule. The topic can change from should US bomb Iraq to why a programming code wont work in a few minutes. It is more than fansub channnel, this is also the way for anime fans to talk to each other on issues not limited to anime. You see this kind of similar events happening in forums? Not too often I bet.

just my 2 cents.
I very much agree with you. Though what you said about getting off topic happens alot on my anime forum, though on seperate threads, usually. I guess we're the "not too often part" :^P

Anyway, back on topic, irc is a societal thing. It's a great way to get feedback, and it is NOT the same as AIM or MSN messanger. Fansubers like feedback, and irc is a great way to do that. And despite the text disapearing fast, or maybe because of it, there is in fact alot of talking along with downloading. Yes BitTorrent is great since everyone uploads as they download, but IRC still has a reason for existance. I also get much faster speeds on virtually all new releases from IRC xdcc & fserves than I do from BitTorrent, and many people I talk to who have tried using both (from established subbing groups) agree.

Yes, IRC channels are useful.

Ashibaka: Jabber is very much a sub-cultural society much like IRC is. There is no reason to do something to spite IRC users. I do nothing to spite Jabber users...
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 21:10   Link #17
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Voted No since my ISP blocks IRC now to prevent "illegal activities."
________
Cbr600f2

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 10:58.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 21:28   Link #18
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Voted No since my ISP blocks IRC now to prevent "illegal activities."
ahuh sort of like banning the use of automobile in fear of its use to kill people by hitting them?
Old 2003-12-31, 21:59   Link #19
GipFace

TLG writes:
On forum too often people are afraid to speak out, but in [IRC] channel since the msg gets scroll so quickly, people are more willing to talk. Not only that, because the channel is not restricted by the topic, that means people can talk anything they want in the channel provided they dont go against the rule. The topic can change from should US bomb Iraq to why a programming code wont work in a few minutes. It is more than fansub channnel, this is also the way for anime fans to talk to each other on issues not limited to anime. You see this kind of similar events happening in forums? Not too often I bet.

I disagree, and Animesuki forums are complete proof of this.

You say that people want to talk more because messages scroll to quickly. It actually has the reverse effect. Because messages scroll by so quickly, people won't waste their time typing in anything. The only lines you'll see are !list and xdcc list, or people saying "thanks for the episode". Hence the forming of general channels not affiliated with any group, or private chans where people know that everyone in it will have intelligent words to say.

About people saying anything they want ... go into a group channel and start criticizing their work. Chances are you'll get a nice +b tag slapped on your face. These forums have excellent moderators (Yay xris, NoSanninWa and NightWish) because they're not extreme on either side. They close topics when appropriate, but they don't enforce the rules with a whip which makes for some very interesting discussion at times (sometimes the people who can't debate coherently do have points to make). These forums have introduced things like group comparison and discussion archival, something that could have never been done in the past except in newsgroups where most people don't have access to.

You also have things like specific series threads. The closest channel where that ever happened was probably in #r-f where the only thing to talk about was Hikaru No Go because R-F didn't do anything else. Even then, the ops heavily enforced a "no spoiling" rule which made everyone scared anyway.

In short, forums have pretty much replaced IRC channels for intelligent talk because people are in fact "less afraid".
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 22:08   Link #20
Shii
*Fansubber

I agree with all that is said above. While more interesting discussion can be had in very good IRC chats such as #animesuki or #jasio, when it comes to fansub group chats, 99% of them are just leeching rooms with a wholly useless chat window attached.

Plus, IRC channels usually abuse the +b feature of IRC which was only meant for extreme circumstances. For example, the AnimeSuki bot bans people if they get too many warnings, which I think is too great a power to be entrusted to a bot. Also, I was banned from #nipponsei when they mistook me for one of the dozens of flooders in the channel, which is an honest mistake, but the ban is apparently permanent.

The solution is to move to a smaller network where you won't get leechers or leechbots coming in just to tell you "!list", and the people who join a channel are more likely to contribute. (Yeah, I'm talking about Jabber here.)