Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-10, 11:31   Link #1
Legend
Banned

Anime or Manga?

Which one do you prefer?
Old 2006-07-10, 11:53   Link #2
Shinku

For me, i prefere anime. I enjoy watching anime shows and i think htey are cute and pretty
Old 2006-07-10, 12:57   Link #3
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I have a feeling that quite a few people will say manga, but my enjoyment of OP drops DRAMATICALLY when I'm reading the manga.

The animation, colours and music make One Piece feel epic to me. I can feel how truley vast One Piece is when watching it.
Old 2006-07-10, 13:07   Link #4
cheese4u
da big boss

I prefer anime, anime is something you can sit back and enjoy because all the work is done for you. Aside from that anime is in color, so you don't have any discrepancies on what a character looks like. But the main thing for me is the music. Music evokes an emotional response in viewers which makes everything you watch seem more lively. (e. g. play sad music when someone dies, play triumphant music in victory, and play badass music when someone is getting their ass kicked.) It's all about the music baby. (except for the English One Piece theme song....ewww. )
Old 2006-07-10, 13:32   Link #5
LeaH407
Senior Lurking Ninja

Send a message via MSN to LeaH407
I would choose anime coz they are colorful and you dont need to read anything...
Old 2006-07-10, 13:39   Link #6
CLAMPshinobi

Send a message via AIM to CLAMPshinobi Send a message via Yahoo to CLAMPshinobi
I like anime better except for xxxholic the manga is better
Old 2006-07-10, 13:41   Link #7
CLAMPshinobi

The music for anime are great,
Old 2006-07-10, 14:00   Link #8
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
i like to read the manga because i can feel the excitement and oda efforts to create and deliver this great series for us.
i like the anime because of the animation specially in fighting and covering unimportant details, and the enjoyment of the sound effects really cool and good ...

i really want to see chapter 389,390, 398 as animation as soon as possible , as long as there is one piece and the story doesn't stop i will be happy with it. so it doesn't bother me which is better
Old 2006-07-10, 14:08   Link #9
CLAMPshinobi

I think manga is ok it has more detail and all... but... anime is fun exciting just as manga but i just for some reason i like anime better except for xxxholic that manga is better than the anime!
Old 2006-07-10, 14:19   Link #10
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Both!

When it comes to OP, the manga's advantages are that it lacks filler, and has wonderful, consistent artwork (especially in the later chapters, beautiful), compared to Toei's often inconsistent, sometimes good but sometimes really crappy animation. I'll take well drawn black and white over badly drawn color. And you can stay up-to-date without worrying about being spoiled.

But then the anime has avantages too. Voices, color, music, movement, when Toei is taking the time and money to do it right. A lot of the times the anime makes things more clear, and emotional moments are magnified. And I have to say that big fights are more enjoyable in the anime.
Old 2006-07-10, 15:17   Link #11
eph

Manga, easily.

The anime was good for the first 100 episodes. But the pacing and animation are just terrible now.
Old 2006-07-10, 15:22   Link #12
Chuixupu
Shikachu

You're right about that, the pacing certainly has gotten annoying, since Skypiea IMO. It keeps getting worse.
Old 2006-07-10, 15:43   Link #13
Undertaker

I love both, but manga holds a small edge for me. Reasons being:

1) manga is the original, so the story is further ahead.
2) I like the artwork on manga better, IMO the art in manga is prettier with more detailed.
3) I like the action freeze frames. Granted, action in anime is better because of the movement but I'm one of those poeple that'll free a frame for a bit just to get a cool shot, and those are usually the frames in manga.

To me, anime is more or less a fill-in-the-blank for me most of time for its manga counterpart. It fills in blanks in both the storys and action scenes.
Old 2006-07-25, 03:05   Link #14
jackie_u

I like the manga better, dunno why, I just do.
Old 2006-07-25, 09:05   Link #15
karumofin

anime, simply because of the music and the brilliant VAs, thich noone has mentioned yet... they are what gives the characters so much life, every single one.
the few times where i had to chuckle where always ebcause of the well execution of some VA.
Old 2006-07-25, 11:31   Link #16
Spooky-Electric

The VA is great, but I prefer the manga for the more consistent, filler-less plot, and I prefer the artwork in the manga, especially in the later chapters.

I also prefer the pacing in the manga. I can breeze through scenes that feel dragged out in the anime.
Old 2006-07-25, 20:16   Link #17
chucky
Always impatient

To be fair, without the adroit use of classical music, and more importantly that magnificiant VA class -- go to anime network and check their credentials, almost every single one of which is transfixing -- the anime wouldnt even enjoy one trillioneth of the popularity it has now today. And without the success of the anime, the manga wouldnt take over the #1 seat of shonen jump either.

I am not saying the manga is worthless: as someone mentioned above, the artwork is very nice indeed, but somehow the plot (at least for now) is not particularly intriquing. You know, there are tons of mangake out there with artistic gift but they never make it -- a lot of reasons of course, and I wont be surprised a lot of popular mangake we have today would have fallen through the crack if luck hadnt bestowed upon them.

If we had a time machine and went back to 1999 and Toei and everyone else overlooked this series and no one adapted it to anime, I'd bet any money Oda would take a very different career path these days. And everyone of us should be thankful to the anime adaptation, particularly the VAs who breathes lives into Luffy and co.
Old 2006-07-25, 20:28   Link #18
Spooky-Electric

But you're forgetting the reason One Piece was made into an anime in the first place, because of its popularity.

And the manga is without a doubt the most popular manga in Japan right now. And to say that that's because of the anime is not giving Oda any credit at all.

Manga is more popular in Japan than anime. It's not like the US where it's the other way around.

And what are you talking about the plot of the manga not being intriguing?? Everything good plotwise that's in the anime came from the manga. The low points of the anime have nothing to do with the manga, and I'm talking about filler.
Old 2006-07-25, 22:20   Link #19
eph

I doubt that the anime contributed that much to One Piece's popularity.

I've heard that most One Piece fans in Japan don't even watch the adaptation.
Old 2006-07-26, 00:58   Link #20
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Spooky is right, manga in Japan overall is far more popular, while anime is sort of a big "meh" in Japan. People who live there always make it a point to mention that, since a lot of Americans go over to Japan and expect that anime is really popular over there or something. The anime version of One Piece added to its popularity, but to the Japanese, One Piece is the manga, not the anime.
Closed Thread