Old 2006-03-12, 11:56   Link #1
Antonik

Chapter 403 Discussion

Quote:
Well Kalifa beats Sanji.

Chopper helps Nami escape from the Hair guy and they manage to steal key #3
Nami decides to fight Kalifa

Chopper fights the Hair Guy.

Luffy tries using a boat to get over and almost drowns.

The girl from the tom tom tells Luffy there is an underground passage

Luffy destroys the passage door by going gear 3

After destroying the door Luffy shrinks and looks like a chibi version of him ^_^

This is my weak weak weak summary, im sure someone can do bettere
Old 2006-03-12, 12:20   Link #2
kari-no-sugata

Yup, that's pretty much it.

The only thing I'd add is that Sanji clearly was not able to hit a girl. He just can't. However, he did try to scare Kalifa into surrendering - his physical abilities are clearly superior. Of course, Kalifa isn't going to just roll over...

So unsurprisingly, it turns into a Kalifa vs Nami showdown - though she's already taken a bit of damage from the "octopus guy" as she calls him, despite stealing his key.

I'm not surprised that there's an underground passage. (I can't remember if I made a post suggesting this but it certainly had occured to me). Was surprising to see Luffy go Gear-3 to smash down the hard metal door (more like a safe door). The force of the blow made the whole tower shake violently - due to the 360-degree slice earlier from Kaku, it's even closer to falling down.

But Luffy going chibi on using Gear-3 is rather interesting. Is that a direct result of him doing that or has he run out of power? Seems more likely to be a direct result, though since we don't get to see anything of Luffy from the start of his Gear-3 to him having smashed down the door, it's rather open to interpretation.
Old 2006-03-12, 12:42   Link #3
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

luffy looks rather calm after becoming chibi doesn't he? i mean i think it's a result of using gear 3, but where and when the hell did he learn the gear techniques? i assume that it was on the sea train, but i don't think luffy can learn THAT fast. i mean i'll give him credit for being an excellent fighter, but come on.
i wanna sea how franky beats fukurou though. i suppose he could try to beat him out of commission with his fists, but i kinda wanna see more of franky's clever gadgets.
Old 2006-03-12, 13:55   Link #4
Tsukishirou

LOL At Gear 3rd XD

If that Kabuki guy used his CP9 powers he could fight better, but he seems sloooooooooooooow.
Buf if Nami couldn´t do anything against Kabuki what can she do against Califa who also has her doll power.

Last edited by Tsukishirou; 2006-03-13 at 15:11.
Old 2006-03-12, 14:43   Link #5
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

kumadori is a loser in my opinion. he offers a little bit of comic relief, but i hope that chopper quickly beats the snot out of him. but against nami, he really didn't need to use the rokushiki, since she's not a very skilled fighter. all he had to do was find her and do that hair-rape thing (shudders).
i'm sure there's new techniques that nami can use now with her upgraded climatact. should be an interesting fight. what i want to see though, is kalifa nearly dealing the final blow to nami and sanji bursts in and smashes kalifa's skull on the floor. that would be satisfying.
Old 2006-03-12, 23:15   Link #6
Dual247

you might be right about that sanji jumping in to save nami. i mean, as of now, everyone's already matched up with their respective opponent except sanji. it seem highly unlikely that the strawhat's 3rd strongest member not getting a KO. of course, oda could pull another fast one and make sanji switch partners with someone.

anyway, not a bad chapter. some nice action coming from the sanji/kalifa fight. obviously, sanji seem stronger now despite his "lost" he was able to match soru or at least see it and parry it. i mean if it was a straight up battle between the 2, i doubt sanji would come out with more than just a few scratches. especially that aerial ground kick that pinned kalifa. that would've knocked her into her third life. all i'm saying is sanji better beat someone. hate to see that he'll not get a bounty because he couldn't "beat" any of the cp9.

kumadori does seem weak, but i doubt chopper will beat him that easily. we need to see chopper's new form

and then there's gear 3. oda never seems to amaze me. luffy going chibi is classic OP. but i agree, i don't think gear 3 is simply him going chibi-mode. i think its the after-effect of using such a great amount of energy going gear 3. i mean he was already quite fatigued after using gear 2. i wouldn't be surprise if we don't see gear 3 in "actual action" until the next arc or so. but chibi luffy rocks, can't wait to see his reaction.

as to when he learned these gear techniques? it doesn't have to be when he's on the rocketman trip. it could've been anytime after his defeat at the hands of aokiji, since that lost motivated him to seek out new ways to get stronger to protect his nakamas. but i don't really sweat about it, i just want to see more gear action. all we saw were his jet moves against blueno, which was just sweeeeet.
Old 2006-03-13, 00:32   Link #7
Sinned

I believe Luffy's Gears are the result of him doing something to his rubber body. I think gear 2 was the fast motion caused by the increase of heat of the rubber in his body (friction of the rubber causes heat) that made him become faster. Gear 3 is his condensed rubber form, being more destructive than normal Luffy. If you condense something, it becomes harder... therefore more powerful.
Old 2006-03-13, 01:08   Link #8
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Are we positive that the Chibi Luffy isn't gear 3 itself instead of an after-effect?
Also I'm abit disapointed that we dun get to see Sanji finally overcome that no-fighting women thingie.
And I have high hopes Oda-sensei will explain all about Luffy's gear moves in the next arc.

Luffy said he knew he needed more power after fighting AO Kiji, so it could be that he trained alot and came up with his new skills while on the way to Water 7.
Old 2006-03-13, 01:12   Link #9
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Oda truly knows how to give us something that confuses us till he explains it. I swear I haven't seen a set of combative moves that need alot explaining since the time Hisoka first used his hatsu in Hunter X Hunter. I'm willing to bet that the details involved with what Luffy is doing will be revealed when he faces Lucchi since I would think Lucchi would at least be curious as to what is going on.

Making us wait till the next arc for the details on the gear would just be plain cruel IMO.
Old 2006-03-13, 15:42   Link #10
Chuixupu
Shikachu

It seems the theory of Luffy compressing his rubber is highly possible. Making himself more dense and hard...and becoming chibified because of the compression. XD
Old 2006-03-13, 17:41   Link #11
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

i don't think i like where the current title-page mini-arc is going. i honestly hate it when characters in an anime are returned. i really hope crocodile ends up being caught again or the mini-arc ending with a comical twist. cause honestly, i wouldn't look forward to another luffy/croc fight.
also, since lucchi said that a zoan fruit user gets stronger the more he fights, wouldn't that explain chopper's sudden strength?
Old 2006-03-13, 18:34   Link #12
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Oda truly knows how to give us something that confuses us till he explains it. I swear I haven't seen a set of combative moves that need alot explaining since the time Hisoka first used his hatsu in Hunter X Hunter. I'm willing to bet that the details involved with what Luffy is doing will be revealed when he faces Lucchi since I would think Lucchi would at least be curious as to what is going on.

Making us wait till the next arc for the details on the gear would just be plain cruel IMO.
I wonder just how far Lucci and co will get before Luffy catches up? There seems to be some buildings right in front of the Seigi no Mon (Gate of Justice) - I assume for the other end of the tunnel at least. If they fight there, the place will probably get trashed. Kinda looks like *all* the buildings outside the Seigi no Mon are going to need to be rebuilt after this. I wonder if there will be any (major) interference in the fight? Surely there's some powerful fighters in the area...? And are the WG heads going to go ape-shit when they find out a pirate is having a major battle right outside their door?

Hmm. I wonder why Luffy bites his thumb before starting Gear 3 (or maybe we should call it "gear third" since that's what he says). I can't think of any reason why. Changing the state of the rubber in his body is one thing, but why bite your thumb...?

PS Anyone else think Luffy's DF ability it kinda like half-way to being like a "logia" (elemental) type? I dunno if that makes any sense. I dunno if there is any hard categorisation of DF anyway - ie are the names and categories simply invented by humans (ie arbitary) or are they hard-coded / tied into their origin?
Old 2006-03-13, 19:37   Link #13
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
I wonder just how far Lucci and co will get before Luffy catches up? There seems to be some buildings right in front of the Seigi no Mon (Gate of Justice) - I assume for the other end of the tunnel at least. If they fight there, the place will probably get trashed. Kinda looks like *all* the buildings outside the Seigi no Mon are going to need to be rebuilt after this. I wonder if there will be any (major) interference in the fight? Surely there's some powerful fighters in the area...? And are the WG heads going to go ape-shit when they find out a pirate is having a major battle right outside their door?
Why would there be anymore powerful characters to run interference? Enes Lobby is still just a lobby.
Quote:
Hmm. I wonder why Luffy bites his thumb before starting Gear 3 (or maybe we should call it "gear third" since that's what he says). I can't think of any reason why. Changing the state of the rubber in his body is one thing, but why bite your thumb...?
Only Oda knows and I'm sure it will be explained.
Quote:
PS Anyone else think Luffy's DF ability it kinda like half-way to being like a "logia" (elemental) type? I dunno if that makes any sense. I dunno if there is any hard categorisation of DF anyway - ie are the names and categories simply invented by humans (ie arbitary) or are they hard-coded / tied into their origin?
Depends on what Oda decides. So far it still remains that there are three categories in which the stuff on the devil fruits in terms of category are everyday knowledge in Blue Sea.
Old 2006-03-13, 19:57   Link #14
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato_D
i don't think i like where the current title-page mini-arc is going. i honestly hate it when characters in an anime are returned. i really hope crocodile ends up being caught again or the mini-arc ending with a comical twist. cause honestly, i wouldn't look forward to another luffy/croc fight.

Crocodile says in that page, "I don't feel like escaping".

I don't think there will be any rematch. Wapol had a ministory, and he didn't return to fight Luffy, obvoiusly. He started a business and got married. And niether did Hatchi or Gedatsu return to fight anyone.
Old 2006-03-13, 20:34   Link #15
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

oh he actually says that? that's kinda interesting. you do have a point though about wapol and all those guys. hopefully the case with croc is similar. it's just kinda hard to believe that crocodile would leave his old ways and start anew.
Old 2006-03-13, 20:36   Link #16
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I wondered if maybe Crocodile succomed to Miss Goldenweek's color trap...but maybe not, maybe he just has some scheme...like taking over the marine base.
Old 2006-03-13, 20:55   Link #17
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

lol. Actually, from what I gained from that frontpage, croc realizes, "Awe he**. I get free food, a place to stay with friends, and I don't have to do jack. I'm staying."
Old 2006-03-13, 23:22   Link #18
Dual247

i'm fully expecting next chapter to be about franky. so far, we've caught glimpses of every match coupling up except the cyborg. chances are we'll get to see him in action in ch404.

as to ol croc. he doesn't want to leave because he's scared shitless about meeting luffy again but really, i'm not worried about him or where the mini-story is going. its already proven that luffy owns him, and now moreso than ever. i don't think mr.0 wants to get a taste of "jet" bazooka or "jet" storm he's no match for him anymore. the same goes for the rest of the group. zoro has total control over slicing steel. mr.1 won't last more than 10 sec against roronoa. all the strawhats have leveled up in one way or another, if the two sides somehow match up again, it won't be much of a fight.

still, i doubt they would meet up again anyway. at least no until the end. that's the only time i see them meeting again.
Old 2006-03-14, 15:52   Link #19
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

wait, zoro can't cut steel at will. if he could, kaku and the rest of cp9 would be pretty much defeated by now. it was only during that near-death state that he could be in the right trance to cut mr.1.
Old 2006-03-14, 16:02   Link #20
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

The bit of the Sea Train he sliced through was a metal carrage, wasn't it? Not to mention the gate before they met that judge.
Closed Thread