3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.59%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-06, 11:59   Link #1
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Welcome to the discussion thread for the first episode of Fate/stay night. Air date: Fri 6th Jan 2006 (late Friday night / early Saturday morning)

Please remember this thread is for the anime watcher only. If you want to discuss aspects of the game, then please use the Fate/Stay Night Game Discussion thread

Since the series is licensed the following posts are not allowed!
  • Asking where you can find F/sn downloads or torrents.
  • Discussing F/sn fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading F/sn.
  • Asking for playback help for F/sn episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You are allowed to discuss the anime but please remember to limit the discussion to the anime story only. In addition, please remain on-topic and do not post any spoilers.

Any spoilers from the game will be deleted. The entire post will be deleted (even if there is just a small part of the post containing spoilers). Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers.

Please note that initial discussion for episode 1 has already occured in the original Fate/stay night thread.
End of edit by Mod (xris)

http://nov.2chan.net/24/res/123625.htm

2chan screenshots page It's done airing now. No screenshots of the 'Are you my master?' scene though, looks like we'll have to wait until Episode 2 for that

Last edited by xris; 2006-01-19 at 07:18.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 13:48   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The animation quality for the first episode was indeed godly...but I still have to get used to Ueda Kana's voice for Rin.

Hmm... As a perspective of a person who played the game, the opening story was very well done. But I wonder how the reaction from people who haven't played the game will be. That's something of an interest I would like to hear.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 13:54   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
But I wonder how the reaction from people who haven't played the game will be. That's something of an interest I would like to hear.
Well, I'll be one of the first people whose voice you're going to hear about this series.

Never in my life played the game. What it drew into this anime was the top-notch animation, art, and characters.

And basing my opinions on those three criteria above, I shall judge Fate/Stay Night when I get the chance to watch it.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 16:17   Link #4
LytHka
Banned

Only one comment for now: Fuji-nee is kinda moe. :3
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 16:43   Link #5
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Only one comment for now: Fuji-nee is kinda moe. :3
And Sakura ! They totally pimped her out.
Old 2006-01-06, 17:44   Link #6
hi no ken Jebus

Hmm maybe it's just me but the first episode was a bit on the slow side. The animation is very solid and fluid hopefully it remains that way till the end. The comedic scenes were nice and the story seems interesting enough. Judging from the preview for 2 things will definitely get interesting from here on out. My only complaint is Emiya's VA he sounds a bit whiny and can't help but think Sasuke or Ishida everytime he says something.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 17:45   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Wow... Man, I am so baffled at this time.

All I can say after watching episode 1 - they are taking their sweet ass time with the story. I know there are many Tiger/Sakura fans out here, but personally, I never expected the animators to spend so much time with them.

Episode 1 felt like this is a show about Fuji-nee and Sakura, not about Shiro or the servants, by the way they've devoted so much space to them and to Shiro's endless musings about his stepfather and his powers...

I have honestly expected the show to progress at least as far as the
Spoiler:
, but all they did was focus of Shiro walking around the house and school, eating stuff with his friends and thinking about being a magician. Talk about a slow introduction.

I have no idea how they are going to do this in 13 episodes at the pace they've set in episode 1, but untill an official confirmation to the contrary, this IS a 13-episode show and I am getting slightly worried.

As a disclaimer: I am a big Tsukihime and Arc fan, so I am somewhat biased, but I was more sattisfied with the way Tsukihime was going at the same point in time.

As far as the visuals, here's my take: it's not godly or the best thing since sliced bread, but it is damn good. The animation is nothing special so far, but it is well done and I especially liked the detailed backgrounds they did for many of the shots (like the one where Shiro meets Ilya-tan).

OP/ED are nothing special, not anything I'll remember tomorrow, much less a long time from now, but the animation of the ending credit was really skillfull and very fluid and dynamic. I liked it, even though it was really minimalistic.

I am really incouraged by the preview for the second episode. I hope that they'll get over this sleepy slow spell they had today and really get down to business of what Fate/stay night is really about: Servants fighting it out.

Oh, and Kana Ueda just rocks as Rin. Her small bits with Archer were the best thing about this first episode! 8)

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-01-06 at 18:35.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 17:49   Link #8
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
Hints of things to come ? HF being animated ?
That's what I thought too when I saw that Sakura featured predominantly in the screenshots. But I hope that the staff will choice the harder path and go for a Fate/UBW/HF mix (provided the show runs for 26 episodes, of course).
Old 2006-01-06, 19:23   Link #9
Freakman

After seeing first ep, I can't quite say clearly which way they'll go.
Spoiler:
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 00:02   Link #10
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

On Beast's Lair, they mentioned that a member of the studio staff said that the series will run for half a year, that's about 26 episodes.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 00:30   Link #11
CelestialShadow

With that pace (3 eps till Saber) it won't be surprising if it ends up as a 26 ep series.
Still, it's too early to tell which route they're going for - although the ED does make me think that they're going for Fate.

In any case, ep1 was quite ok. not too rushed, but nothing exciting happens.
("Wake up tiger!" scene was too short though)
I prefer the original game OP - much more suited, the anime version seems a little too relaxed; and as for the ED, the anime - i just don't like Days.

btw, did anyone notice this?

I certainly wouldn't mind going to "Leisure Land"
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 01:52   Link #12
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

*nods* The original OP is better than the anime OP, but it's a small nitpick from the complete satisfaction I get in seeing Fuji-nee animated. She's exactly as I imagined right down to her tantrums ^^~

My favorite scene is definitely when Fuji-nee crashes into the classroom.
Shiro's embarassed look is absolute gold
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 03:48   Link #13
kron

while i do think that the game op seem more fitting, i think the new version wasn't bad either. it sounds a bit more 'well produced'.

from the first ep, it does feel like the series is going for a 26 ep approach although it's announced to be a 13 ep series.. hopefully it really is going to air for half a year. it seem ok to me so far in most aspects.

i like the ed : )
kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 07:26   Link #14
DaFool
Resident devil

Yay, they used Asa-sempai's voice actress for Fuji-nee!
It's ok first ep, though Tsukihime had a more convincing dark brooding melancholy atmosphere
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 08:14   Link #15
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I liked the remixed opening theme song, and I sort of expected they would change the ending theme song too, "days" just didn't fit the Fate feel all that well (like I said, it'd be perfect for Kara no Kyoukai though).

As for the episode... just like the title said, it really did cover only the first day... of the game's prologue. ^^; 3 episodes on the prologue... well, it's important, so I guess that's an okay number.

I only wished they would've put more effort into Shirou's wake-up scene, the atmosphere in the game during this part was great with Sakura surrounded by the morning sunlight, the anime sort of just skimmed past this part.

I don't think they'll go with Heaven's Feel, all the servants in that scenario are all _____ too easily by _____.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 11:58   Link #16
Mr. Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kron
while i do think that the game op seem more fitting, i think the new version wasn't bad either. it sounds a bit more 'well produced'.
I agree with this. I don't like it as much as I liked the game opening, mainly because the music's slower in the anime's case. But overall I still feel it's very good. From when they finally show Saber to the end is top notch, IMO.

They're starting out slower then I thought, which is good I think... or at least good for those who played the game. I knew what was going on the 1st episode, but I'd think some people may be confused on basically everything having to deal with Archer. Looks like they're going to explain it next episode though.

I loved the...
Spoiler for (the beginning bit of the episode):
Mr. Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 22:47   Link #17
techiet
Shiori~

Send a message via AIM to techiet Send a message via MSN to techiet
Personal preference to the game OP, but I like the anime OP. I've read summaries of the game and the first chapter of the manga, but I like the slower pace of this first episode. I still don't know the characters all that well, so this really helps. I do hope they pick things up after they explain the background well enough.

I really can't wait for the next episode. I also really want to get some merchandise D:
techiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 23:23   Link #18
Sakuya
*Artist

I finally watched it and it was a bit slow in the Emiya scenes. But in the end, it really did pick up a bit. I was also surprised that the OP theme song is a sort of remix of the game's theme song. If they're going to such great lengths to satisfy the fans by keeping the theme song, I would trust them even if this were to become a 13 episode series.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 00:22   Link #19
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
But I wonder how the reaction from people who haven't played the game will be. That's something of an interest I would like to hear.
I saw episode 01 in Chinese sub. I just power read through this whole thread, and I feel like I'm a newblood walking into a den of veterans. Reluctance nips at my words. Much like my experience with Tsukihime over 2 years ago, I never played the games beforehand. So I have no intrinsic knowledge about Fate/Stay Night other than what very little information I can glean from fanarts I find in my scours for images. So what's keeping me interested is the mystery of the whole story itself, different from some others who's main reason for watching is to see the interactions/characters in animated glory. And like Tsukihime, there is an immense mass of background information behind the anime. This thread provided some hints of what it really is about, and of course the anime will reveal some facts, but I'll have to gain the more opaque knowledge in the same way as I did before, by reading English fansites (I learned more than I wanted to know about Tsukihime this way. Some things were quite disturbing...)

Anyways, about episode 01 itself. The Opening and Ending are nothing special to my ears, but naturally, that's due to my own bias. The animation and art is good...so far. I can see the "tiger sensei", Fuji-nee, as a character in the show to provide comedic relief and contrast against the otherwise more grave atmosphere of the show. Before I even saw the anime, I took a preference to Rin. And after I saw episode 01, I like her even more. I think she'll become my favorite character of the show. I definitely sense that charismatic and multi-faceted characters will be a strength in this story. Combined with the intriguing clues of this fable, I'm hooked. Looking forward to episode 02.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 19:27   Link #20
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

FATE Stay Night

Just after finishing episode one

i must say i found it interested

i like the blend of modern and midevil and the character design.

current being subbed by a group called eclipse (never heard of them before)

but it looks like a series i intend to follow

everyone should check it out =]

Last edited by Hellychan; 2006-01-08 at 22:15. Reason: I've merged you thread with the already existing one =P
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote