AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-12-13, 17:11   Link #1
vitellus314

underscores in anime file names...why?

is there any real purpose to the underscores that are added between nearly each word in the filenames of anime fansubs? i don't find them very aesthetic and thus I've spent another 15 min renaming all my recently downloaded anime episodes...don't mean to offend anybody, just needed to vent a little.

Last edited by vitellus314; 2003-12-14 at 14:09.
vitellus314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-13, 17:36   Link #2
vitellus314

wow thanks Cyberdramon that was a fast and very thorough reply...I actually temporarily removed the topic as I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post it in but apparently it was!

it was puzling to me as some bittorrent files had the underscores and some didn't but I guess it's up to each fansubber to keep or remove them when they distribute a file via bittorrent.

EDIT : Well yeah, this goes under Cyberdramon's reply below (don't ask me how I did this because i really don't know).
vitellus314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-13, 19:14   Link #3
Cyberdramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitellus314
is there any real purpose to the underscores that are added between nearly each word in the filenames of anime fansubs? i don't find them very aesthetic and thus I've spent another 15 min renaming all my recently downloaded anime episodes...don't mean to offend anybody, just needed to vent a little.
People...are just never happy! XD

The point of underscores, as I've understood them, is a couple reasons.

1) mIRC automatically converts spaces to underscores when a file is sent.
2) usually when you put a file on a website it makes funky little code thingies for the spaces that look ugly (I think it's %2 or something?) so underscore looks better
3) not all operating systems accept spaces in the file names? (Not sure on this one)

So there you go, 3 decent reasons as to why fansubbers have to put underscores in there. Personally I think they look neat...but maybe I'm just a freak.
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 04:24   Link #4
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Imagine trying to get the CRC of a file from a bittorrent link for a file that has spaces instead of underscores.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 10:17   Link #5
Esperchld
Photographer

There are not (to the best of my knowlage) any text based FTP apps out there that allow spaces in the names of files. Infact most text based programs (and Operating Systems?) with using spaces instead of underscores. You know you can make a batch process to change all those files names don't you?
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 17:53   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperchld
There are not (to the best of my knowlage) any text based FTP apps out there that allow spaces in the names of files. Infact most text based programs (and Operating Systems?) with using spaces instead of underscores. You know you can make a batch process to change all those files names don't you?
Um... windows 2000/XP FTP allows spaces. I've been using it for a LONG time now. As far as I know, unix FTP programs allow spaces as long as the OS allows spaces (Linux, etc). When in doubt, put the file name in quotes.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 22:12   Link #7
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

It's more a question of the FTP server, not the FTP client.
Old 2003-12-15, 22:43   Link #8
warnold
nerfelwap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
It's more a question of the FTP server, not the FTP client.
To the best of my knowledge there is no FTP server that runs on a platform that allows spaces in filenames that doesn't support same.

The first reference FTP server supported it, the protocol supports it, I've never seen a client or server that didn't support it. It's just a matter of putting in the appropriate quoting for the client to understand what you want.

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 22:47   Link #9
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Hmm, my ISP uses something called "PWPFTPD" that doesn't support it.
Old 2003-12-15, 22:58   Link #10
warnold
nerfelwap

I'm boggled. I wonder if it's on purpose, or if they're just using horrible software. <hits google> <finds their faq> hmmm, it notes that
Quote:
A filename may contain only letters in capital (A-Z) or lower case (a-z), and the numerals 0-9. Dashes (-), underscores (_)and dots (.) may also be used, but a file name may not start with a dot or dash.
so it looks like they're restricting the filename charset for some reason. Probably to make customer support simpler, if you can't have a space in a filename they don't have to explain how to make a url point to it.

Do they actually return an error, or is it just documented to not work, so you get no support if you try?

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote