Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-17, 17:29   Link #1
100demons
F-Bomb

How about a more mature room?

Why not make a room that needs admin permission to be a part of(age restriction) where you can say what you want. By that I mean anything is a go in there. Most topics would be welcome.

Oh yeah, I apologize to the admins for using filthy language, sorry bout that.
Old 2004-11-17, 17:34   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I can see it working in some places, but here? Not really. It would split the community; exacerbate the divide between regulars and new members and introducing one between younger and older members. Plus I'm not sure what topics would be suitable for such a forum, probably not something the rules allow. If the rules don't allow a topic currently, you'll probably find it is because we don't want the topic. Period. Sorry to be so negative ...

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-11-17 at 17:38. Reason: word confusion ^^;
Old 2004-11-17, 17:40   Link #3
100demons
F-Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
I can see it working in some places, but here? Not really. It would split the community; exacerbate the divide between regulars and new members and introducing one between younger and older members. Plus I'm not sure what topics would be suitable for such a forum, probably not something the rules allow. If the rules don't allow a topic currently, you'll probably find it is because we don't want the topic. Period. Sorry to be so negative ...

Not a problem. Just throwing out a suggestion. Thanks for the response.
Old 2004-11-17, 19:36   Link #4
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
We still have very "mature" conversations, have you watched elfen lied or narutaru? they are certainly not for children, but are discussed a lot in their respective threads. Curse words dont make a discussion mature imo.
Old 2004-11-17, 21:28   Link #5
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

har..
the 'Rate That Avatar' thread.... MATURE VERSION 2.0 BETA.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2004-11-17, 21:30   Link #6
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I got my maturity fix in the thigh thread.
Old 2004-11-17, 21:56   Link #7
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
You know, this is why I love being a staff member on another forum. You could always just go the forum link in my signature.[/promotion]

Back on topic.

I don't think it will work here. It would create a flood of members which could nearly collapse the system, like that 8000+ member day. Also nowadays everybpdy lies about their age on the internet, so some forums make a post limit and permission from an admin before you can enter the fourm.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2004-11-18 at 09:17.
Old 2004-11-17, 22:17   Link #8
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

It won't work for sure. That is the kind of thing the staff here tries to avoid.
Old 2004-11-17, 22:22   Link #9
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I agree, it would just split up the forums! And then I'd have to say I'm 12 and start a revolution!!
Old 2004-11-17, 22:34   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Plus do we really want to leave priceless young ladies like SirJeanot all by themself? ... no ... course we don't.
Old 2004-11-17, 23:09   Link #11
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100demons
Why not make a room that needs admin permission to be a part of(age restriction) where you can say what you want. By that I mean anything is a go in there. Most topics would be welcome.
however i may enjoy it, i dont think that it would represent animesuki. There are other boards for what you describe.

Quote:
And then I'd have to say I'm 12 and start a revolution!!
by telling the truth? what?
Old 2004-11-18, 08:34   Link #12
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Exactly Hobo! ^^

This forum is dedicated to anime and that’s how I like it thank you very much.

There’s like a bazillion other forum to go to if that’s what you want.

Besides I think the Naruto forum is more than mature enough for anybody.___
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-11-18, 12:50   Link #13
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
If you take into account the fact that this is a forum about cartoons, loving cartoons, and for some of the more deviant members, loving cartoon characters, then you should realize that maturity does not and cannot exist here.

Now go back to your down cartoons.
Old 2004-11-18, 13:25   Link #14
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
If you take into account the fact that this is a forum about cartoons, loving cartoons, and for some of the more deviant members, loving cartoon characters, then you should realize that maturity does not and cannot exist here.

Now go back to your down cartoons.
This isn't cartoons.
Cartoons are the stuff made by the Americans.
This is a forum about animes.
Old 2004-11-18, 13:29   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
This isn't cartoons.
Don't bicker about symantics, the two words mean and refer to the same thing.

Also, I agree. We don't need a 'mature' board, there are other sites and forums for that stuff.
Old 2004-11-18, 13:54   Link #16
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Don't bicker about symantics, the two words mean and refer to the same thing.
I disagree, while they originally referred to the same item, right now there is a distinct difference between the word cartoon and the word anime. Not to mention the difference in the actual animation as well.

Back on topic : I think, like most in this thread that we allready have quite a number of mature discussions going on in these boards. And by mature I mean discussions and not flame wars or extreme fanboy-ism.
Old 2004-11-18, 14:09   Link #17
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
This isn't cartoons.
Spoiler for ARGUMENT VOID:

For one thing, if you INSIST on using "anime" in your infinite wisdom, since NATURALLY something as refined as Asian cartoons cannot be put on the same level as crass American cartoons, and since we're going to be arguing about semantics (an EXTREMELY important field, by the way), let's throw some morphology into the mix. "anime," being a Japanese (borrowed) word, has no plural. OMG that's right. Putting "animes" is bloody, bloody wrong. What we're doing here is pretty interesting. Japan borrows "animation" from on, then shortens it to "anime," and we borrow it back. And now, we have people changing it in a linguistically correct fashion. Anyway, that's besides the point. Let's go straight to the meaning. I have a little Japanese dictionary. Well, electronic Japanese dictionary. You can see a picture of it here, to the right of the laptop: http://andrewlb.com/pics/laptop01.jpg

Let's ask it!

Ahem.

アニメ(ーション)
animation
[u]アニメ製作:[c]アニメーション
animated cartoon
[c]《正式》アニメーション、軌画。

There.

Anime = cartoon.

Oh my God, I said it.

Wow.
Old 2004-11-18, 14:16   Link #18
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Spoiler for ARGUEMENT VOID:

アニメ(ーション)
animation
[u]アニメ製作:[c]アニメーション
animated cartoon
[c]《正式》アニメーション、軌画。

There.

Anime = cartoon.
Well, in that context you are talking about the Japanese meaning of the word, while we are talking about the english meaning and in that aspect there is a difference.

To use a random dictionary as you did :

an·i·me Audio pronunciation of "anime" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-m)
n.

A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

Main Entry: Japanimation
Function: noun
Definition: a style of cartoon or animation made in Japan that focuses on futuristic themes and robotlike characters; also called anime
Etymology: Japan + (an)imation

an·i·ma·tion Audio pronunciation of "animation" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-mshn)
n.

1. The art or process of preparing animated cartoons.
2. An animated cartoon.

As you can see from these definitions anime is a form of animation but not all animation is anime thus the two terms are different!

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-11-18 at 15:10.
Old 2004-11-18, 14:54   Link #19
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I don't believe what just happend ...

I mean ... I agree anime has evolved into it's own word with a much more detailed and specific defenition ... but what is the big deal? Yes you can say anime is a cartoon, because the word cartoon just like the word anime has evolved. When you think cartoon you think animated. Seeing as how anime is a type of animation developed in japan, it's still a cartoon to me.

since we're getting so jolly with defenitions ... here's a little list of my own.
Double check them here: http://m-w.com/

animated cartoon
Function: noun
: a motion picture made from a series of drawings simulating motion by means of slight progressive changes in the drawings

anime
: a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes
Old 2004-11-18, 15:10   Link #20
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Spoiler for ARGUMENT VOID:
At least my signature is cuter than yours
You also demontred that you're probably the only person who is immature in this thread by trolling for the hell of it (at least you didn't swear, but again you have been told to quit it or be banned, doesn't it sound funny? )

Quote:
I mean ... I agree anime has evolved into it's own word with a much more detailed and specific defenition ... but what is the big deal? Yes you can say anime is a cartoon, because the word cartoon just like the word anime has evolved. When you think cartoon you think animated. Seeing as how anime is a type of animation developed in japan, it's still a cartoon to me.
Well maybe they have similarities, but the fact of calling what you would call Japanese cartoons animes is a way to show it is different (by this I mean better) than American cartoons.
Personally calling animes cartoons would be saying the artists are as bad as the American cartoons's artists (I'm sorry, but just look at the drawings, the Japanese have a way better way to draw their characters).