Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-08-02, 21:05   Link #1
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Digimon Survive

I may have missed it, but I wanted to get a thread going for this one.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/digimon-survive

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Game is out and I wanted to process my thoughts on it.
Old 2022-08-02, 21:39   Link #2
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Admittedly the main reason for this is both to express my hype for this game just existing and also to spoiler tag post my way through the story. It feels like the kind of game where I'm almost going to want to look back on how I felt about this one as I went through it.

Ever since the original Digimon anime this kind of game has been something I'd have loved to see. Now obviously I didn't even think of that at the time and even after I did, it just felt like something that wouldn't happen. But here we are. I'm sure the visual novel style of much of the game isn't going to work for some. But this style of storytelling and this kind of combat feels right. If nothing else I love the idea of dropping these characters into a crazy situation like this and just seeing them process it. All the more so with knowing how dangerous this all is.

Will just keep my thoughts on the game below. And will be doubly safe to spoiler tag them into each chapter/part. So, shouldn't be at risk of spoiling anyone.

Spoiler for Story Thoughts:

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2022-08-29 at 01:42.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 03:26   Link #3
GDB

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, since I wanted a physical Switch edition and it was a pain to find one. Should be here by the end of next week, at least.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 20:04   Link #4
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Admittedly the main reason for this is both to express my hype for this game just existing and also to spoiler tag post my way through the story. It feels like the kind of game where I'm almost going to want to look back on how I felt about this one as I went through it.

Ever since the original Digimon anime this kind of game has been something I'd have loved to see. Now obviously I didn't even think of that at the time and even after I did, it just felt like something that wouldn't happen. But here we are. I'm sure the visual novel style of much of the game isn't going to work for some. But this style of storytelling and this kind of combat feels right. If nothing else I love the idea of dropping these characters into a crazy situation like this and just seeing them process it. All the more so with knowing how dangerous this all is.

Spoiler for Story Thoughts:
How has it been so far for you? How's the balance between the VN segments and the RPG segments? I'm asking as I've been thinking about picking this up, but I'm not sure whether I sure purchase it now or wait until a sale on PSN.
Old 2022-08-03, 21:07   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
How has it been so far for you? How's the balance between the VN segments and the RPG segments? I'm asking as I've been thinking about picking this up, but I'm not sure whether I sure purchase it now or wait until a sale on PSN.
It's been good for me so far. The 60-70% VN to tactical battle breakdown has been pretty consistent with what I've seen floated around. Although a lot of the time a free battle option is out there to break things up during the exploration/investigation/interaction parts. And since you can recruit wild Digimon through them it's a good place to spend time.

Definitely a VN style experience first. Just with it's own morality system (which I appreciate connecting to Agumon's evolutions). Thankfully though there is plenty of interaction. Even if you are still doing a lot of reading. Nice to choose where to spend time, get fairly regular dialogue options, and build up my team.

It's working out for me. Enough RPG elements with a good story that is only getting started at this stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, since I wanted a physical Switch edition and it was a pain to find one. Should be here by the end of next week, at least.
I also ended up going for the Switch version. Just pre-ordered with in-store pickup to make it easier. Normally I'd just wait for the postal system to take care of that side of it though.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2022-08-05 at 14:28.
Old 2022-08-08, 12:17   Link #6
Blaat

I've only finished part 3, and in the early part of 4.

Spoiler for part 3:
Old 2022-08-08, 12:24   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I've only finished part 3, and in the early part of 4.

Spoiler for part 3:
Spoiler for Part 3:
Old 2022-08-09, 10:21   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

No-spoiler review:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-08-10, 01:59   Link #9
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

After such a long time, feels like Bandai Namco finally managed to nailed budget - replay value again, and its DIGIMON of all title.
VN format might be not everyone cup of tea as it can be repetitive and requires you to check all possible options if you wanted it to be perfect, but for VN format this one definitely score as one of better title especially if you familiar with Digimon franchise.

Love the cast design for being low-key based on first Digi-Destined (Agumon's partner is modern Taichi, Labramon's partner is modern Sora, Floramon's partner is modern Mimi, there's also modern Joe and Yamato), feels like they traced back to first Digimon and get idea of "Hey what if we gave more 'modern' storytelling to this".

I'm not following Digimon for long time so I don't know much but I really like how:

Spoiler for :

The morality system ... I guess its replacement to the usual Vaccine, Data and Virus categorizing?
Old 2022-08-12, 12:03   Link #10
Blaat

Spoiler for part 5 and early part 6:
Old 2022-08-12, 12:23   Link #11
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Whew. Was fun getting through my first playthrough of the game. It was definitely everything I had been hoping for. Although I think they could have bolstered the tactical combat even more (add more inherent attack skills and such). But it was really good. I'm happy to have played this and will hope it gets enough love to get a similar kind of game made in the future. There's a lot of potential for this kind of digimon game and this one showed it.

Now to decide if I'm just going to explore the other moral paths (wrath or harmony) or go straight onto the fourth route. I'm curious to try and fix a few mistakes. Or even possibly make more next time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
After such a long time, feels like Bandai Namco finally managed to nailed budget - replay value again, and its DIGIMON of all title.
VN format might be not everyone cup of tea as it can be repetitive and requires you to check all possible options if you wanted it to be perfect, but for VN format this one definitely score as one of better title especially if you familiar with Digimon franchise.

Love the cast design for being low-key based on first Digi-Destined (Agumon's partner is modern Taichi, Labramon's partner is modern Sora, Floramon's partner is modern Mimi, there's also modern Joe and Yamato), feels like they traced back to first Digimon and get idea of "Hey what if we gave more 'modern' storytelling to this".

I'm not following Digimon for long time so I don't know much but I really like how:

Spoiler for :

The morality system ... I guess its replacement to the usual Vaccine, Data and Virus categorizing?
I didn't expect how much they would recapture the feel of the original series. Taking a lot of familiar elements and characteristics from that original cast and putting them into new characters. Shuuji and Joe are definitely different in some ways, but you can find the similarities too. Of course there are some characters that didn't make a direct shift over so it's not simply doing the same thing over again.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 2022-08-13, 23:31   Link #12
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Whew. Was fun getting through my first playthrough of the game. It was definitely everything I had been hoping for. Although I think they could have bolstered the tactical combat even more (add more inherent attack skills and such). But it was really good. I'm happy to have played this and will hope it gets enough love to get a similar kind of game made in the future. There's a lot of potential for this kind of digimon game and this one showed it.

Considering Wargreymon strength, its safe to assume they didn't want players distracted from storytelling.
Its understandable decision in regards to Digimon franchise target audience aside of "better safe than sorry" as one may repeat it for four-five times.

Shuuji is interesting case IMO.

Spoiler for :
Old 2022-08-14, 00:28   Link #13
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Considering Wargreymon strength, its safe to assume they didn't want players distracted from storytelling.
Its understandable decision in regards to Digimon franchise target audience aside of "better safe than sorry" as one may repeat it for four-five times.

Shuuji is interesting case IMO.

Spoiler for :
I'm pretty happy with the results of the direction they took. There's just a satisfying feel to using familiar Digimon in basically a hard mode version of the original Adventure series. Any complaints I have are pretty minimal and if they were going to put the focus anywhere, I'm glad it was with the story.
Spoiler for Shuuji:
Old 2022-08-17, 14:13   Link #14
Blaat

Spoiler for Spoilers for part 7 and 8:

Still loving the game, or to be really exact loving the story. The tactical combat can be tedious at times especially if the monsters insist on running away.

Last edited by Blaat; 2022-08-17 at 14:24.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-17, 22:55   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:

Still loving the game, or to be really exact loving the story. The tactical combat can be tedious at times especially if the monsters insist on running away.

I'm kind of with you when it comes to enemies running away . Not a fan of them pulling that stunt in all honesty . "Get back here so I can destroy you already!"
Old 2022-08-18, 12:45   Link #16
Blaat

Spoiler for part 9 harmony:

Spoiler for early part 10 harmony:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Something I realised about Miyuki she obviously the expy for
Spoiler:

edit:
Spoiler for Final evolution of some characters:

Last edited by Blaat; 2022-08-19 at 13:56.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-19, 21:20   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Spoiler for part 9 harmony:

Spoiler for early part 10 harmony:

Spoiler:

Something I realised about Miyuki she obviously the expy for
Spoiler:

edit:
Spoiler for Final evolution of some characters:
Spoiler for Harmony Part 9 and 10:

I didn't think that about Miyuki...but it does actually fit.

Spoiler for Some final evolutions:
Old 2022-08-21, 06:10   Link #18
Blaat

Whelp I finished the game:

I got Minoru's final evolution, his affection was 68 when I booted up the game so one affection event later I unlocked Falcomon's final form just in the time for the final fight. Honestly if it weren't for the stat boosts I'd have preferred Crowmon, the multimovement and laster beam attack are way more useful.

Spoiler for part 11 Harmony:

Spoiler for part 12 Harmony:

Looking forward to discover the other endings, and getting better evolution lines for Agumon.
Old 2022-08-21, 07:50   Link #19
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:

Looking forward to discover the other endings, and getting better evolution lines for Agumon.
Spoiler for That reminds me (contain spoiler from another route):

Note after clearing this game once, confronting Baihumon is indicator you're on path to True Ending.
Old 2022-08-21, 13:11   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I did want to process my thoughts a bit (outside of my massive chapter by chapter feelings on each route).
Spoiler for Harmony and Wrathful Route Spoilers:

Quote:
Whelp I finished the game:

I got Minoru's final evolution, his affection was 68 when I booted up the game so one affection event later I unlocked Falcomon's final form just in the time for the final fight. Honestly if it weren't for the stat boosts I'd have preferred Crowmon, the multimovement and laster beam attack are way more useful.

Spoiler for part 12 Harmony:

Will admit to liking Falcomon's ultimate more than that mega form. It still has good mobility so losing the double move isn't too bad. But it's mostly just improved stats with that one. Honestly on following playthroughs I've mostly just used Minoru for his personal skill to buff the movement of other characters.
Spoiler for Part 12 Harmony:

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2022-08-21 at 13:30.