AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-27, 14:20   Link #1
kaizoku_65
Kaizoku + Shinobi

Which FMP series is the best / most enjoyable

I hope there isn't a thread like this laready, searched but did not find any. If there is, then forgive me.

Anyway, i can't really decide on which is better. The first had a lot of action with Gauron and all. The second one is more comedy oriented. What to choose, what to choose.

And Sauske being smacked by Chidori all the time, what u think?

What do u think??
Old 2004-05-27, 19:04   Link #2
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well...

I think the two are impossible to compare, as they stand in leagues of their own: Realism Mecha and HS Situational Comedy. I couldn't say which is better, since they each do it in different ways-- i.e. jaw hanging after some vicious AS action or laughing to death after a classroom disaster.

Fumoffu, as it was obviously geared towards it, beat out season 1 in the comedy department, but as expected, Season 1 blows away Fumoffu in terms of storyline and drama.
Old 2004-05-27, 20:51   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

Fumoffu, hands down. Season 1 is too ecchi, I don't care for mecha battles, and the story was pretty poorly done. Fumoffu cut out all that crap and what was left was gold.

Not that I don't like Season 1, it's just no where near as enjoyable.
Old 2004-05-28, 02:05   Link #4
arias

I'd say I enjoyed Fumoffu more, and I watched it first. When I later watched FMP! (first season), I thought it was pretty decent. What it beat fumoffu at was the progression of the character's relationships. We see more changes in Sousuke/Kaname/Tessa than we see in Fumoffu, which is a fragmented collection of comedy bits.

I have to say that Fumoffu's directing, scripting and such is pretty average. Not bad enough to disgust me but enough to make me cringe many times per episode. I really don't know whether its the mediocre skills of the production team, or the limited production budget that made it seem so... average. I kept watching out of interest in the relationships and also Gaul, who I thought was a *little* captivating. Overall, it could have been much, much more. I certainly thought that with an expanded budget, plus tighter scripting and better direction it would have been a real gem.. Oh well. I probably won't watch it again, but I'll watch Fumoffu again..

Fumoffu had this incredibly style to its humor, which really kept me laughing in spasms. The whacking style is really hilarious.. But the character interaction was really unsatisfying. I couldn't stop watching because it was so funny and entertaining, but at the end you don't really feel much progress in the relationships. I wonder whether the budget for Fumoffu was larger than FMP! per episode.. But I guess not, the animation didn't impress me as well.

Ah. The constraints and the waste.. =|. I'll probably just read the manga to find out what continues to happen.. or read the book translation. If a third season is announced.. I sure hope they buck up.
Old 2004-05-30, 22:07   Link #5
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
Both are really good, I would suggest watching FMP first as it's meant to be and the Fumoffu is just a really funny and lighter series (no real plot or anything). FMP is a great series, and I'm not really one to like mecha anime, there's just so much character and relationship development, it would be a crime to miss it, plus you get a better background on everything going on.

But if you want pure comedy and funny characters without much of a plot or substance, just watch Fumoffu.
Old 2004-06-02, 17:46   Link #6
state_alchemist

I'd say 2nd season is better, but i agree with Jenichan though. Watch the first season, so you wont get lost in the second season.
Old 2004-06-03, 05:19   Link #7
Lu Bu

FPM made me smile. Fumoffu made me laugh out loud.
Old 2004-06-07, 23:18   Link #8
mah_damey

you HAVE to watch the first one to fully appreciate the genius of the second one.
Old 2004-07-09, 04:40   Link #9
ShikaShika
無罪

I'd have to say I liked FMP better than Fumoffu. As much as I like comedy, I like drama better, and FMP has both. I'm also not a big fan of stand alone episodes, I like the plot to keep moving forward with each episode.

And what really drives me nuts sometimes is when two people that obvously like eachother never get together! (Completely off topic ) FMP isn't the only anime like this, I dunno if it has anything to do with popularity or public acceptance in Japan, but it would just be so satisfying to once in a while see two main characters in a mainstream anime get together and fall in love.
Old 2004-07-16, 11:50   Link #10
DukeGaladrien
Hopeless Baseball Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to DukeGaladrien
The first season was immensely enjoyable, with a pretty good storyline and entertaining action, but that said Fumoffu (second season) is in a league of it's own.

The second season is just pure comedic enjoyment, and while there really isn't a storyline that progresses anywhere you don't even care when watching it. It can take you from the rock bottom of KGNE blues and have you laughing your arse off.

So for me FMP was an anime that I enjoyed, while I would put FMP:F as one of the top animes around.
Old 2004-07-24, 17:51   Link #11
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

I have a new question:

I started reading my daughters FMP manga and I was wondering how many episodes of the first season actually aired?

I understand how different they are but we are getting different information from different web sites as to how many eps we can look forward to.

Does anyone also know how many eps are in a DVD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... the only info I found on this forum was how many eps there were for second season. Those were like soooo funny
Old 2004-07-24, 18:06   Link #12
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
I have a new question:

I started reading my daughters FMP manga and I was wondering how many episodes of the first season actually aired?

I understand how different they are but we are getting different information from different web sites as to how many eps we can look forward to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... the only info I found on this forum was how many eps there were for second season. Those were like soooo funny
There are 24 episodes for the first season. I think that there are 6DVDs in total, but I could be wrong. This is something that you can easily do your own research on.

I did it for you anyways, there are 7 DVDs in total for 24 episodes.
Old 2004-07-24, 18:09   Link #13
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
I have a new question:

What arias said

Last edited by DarkCntry; 2004-07-24 at 18:10. Reason: arias beat me to the punch
Old 2004-07-24, 19:22   Link #14
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

for me FMPF is better than FMP... I think the political and mecha parts of the original FMP are just blah, too serious while too unrealistic, and the changing between comedy and seriousness of the show doesn't connect too well, so the highschool part of the original FMP is what I like best in it. Thus FMPF is a dream come true for me
Old 2004-07-25, 01:44   Link #15
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
for me FMPF is better than FMP... I think the political and mecha parts of the original FMP are just blah, too serious while too unrealistic, and the changing between comedy and seriousness of the show doesn't connect too well, so the highschool part of the original FMP is what I like best in it. Thus FMPF is a dream come true for me
I really liked the political/mecha and serious parts of the first series... I found that there was a good mix of comedy and seriousness... and it was really entertaining... but... Fumoffu was pretty damn entertaining too... though, the Sagara jokes can only go so far before being played out... Fumoffu is good but definitely not better than the first series...
Old 2004-07-25, 02:23   Link #16
Spooky-Electric

Fumoffu is much better. The first one is average at best. The story is awful, with plot devices being ignored and a main enemy who just won't freaking die.
Old 2004-07-25, 03:00   Link #17
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
I really liked the political/mecha and serious parts of the first series... I found that there was a good mix of comedy and seriousness... and it was really entertaining... but... Fumoffu was pretty damn entertaining too... though, the Sagara jokes can only go so far before being played out... Fumoffu is good but definitely not better than the first series...
well, different people got different tastes... but then I think the political/mecha parts in FMP are just too ridiculous to be considered realistic while too serious to be brushed off as parody... I mean, what's with that KGB guy? what's his purpose anyway? and a single cruise missile blowing up an entire base? is that a nuke or is the whole base built with paper It feels like they try to do something like Ghost in the Shell political struggle, but instead put Star Wars stuff into it

the main villain, though, just compete against Heero Yuy in terms of coming out of big explosions alive
Old 2004-07-25, 03:09   Link #18
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Fumoffu is much better. The first one is average at best. The story is awful, with plot devices being ignored and a main enemy who just won't freaking die.
Well, I don't know about the first season being SO bad as you describe it. I thought it attained a very high level of polish animation-wise, as well as plot-arc wise. But the sequencing/putting together of the plot-arcs was not very well, but if you've read the novels you'll know that the writer Gatoh switches between heavy/light moods quite often, so it's not much of a suprise. I liked the first series personally, although I thought of it as quite mediocre in terms of plot and such; there was nothing really outstanding about that. However, I grew attached to the characters, certainly

Fumoffu is incredible. Good animation, but what's really wonderful is the techniques like editing and camera, which are so spick-spank fast and refreshing. It's like chop chop chop, everything goes by nice and tightly. Had an incredibly good time with Fumoffu ^_^.. but it has less development than the first series, I thought.
Old 2004-07-28, 11:38   Link #19
Airnest

I enjoyed both. Each has it its own merits, they are both great.
Old 2004-08-05, 03:29   Link #20
fellorgrace

I enjoy the first cuz of the mechs and military stuff...
Closed Thread