AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-08-20, 23:54   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Dubbing of No Game No Life

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of No Game No Life.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
Until the English cast list is finalized, post your speculation of who you want to be whom and the reason why (if you're so inclined). When the official cast list is announced, I'll edit this post and place the information here.

Have fun!
Old 2014-09-13, 00:07   Link #2
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm, depends on which studio would pick this up.

I'm actually praying for Funimation to take this, but I have quite the feeling that Viz/Aniplex will pick it up.

Just in case Funi picks it up, I would rather have more or less this cast:

Spoiler for Funi cast:

Spoiler for Funi cast reason:

For Viz:

Spoiler for Viz cast:

Last edited by judasmartel; 2014-09-13 at 00:22.
Old 2014-09-13, 03:08   Link #3
judasmartel
*Author

Some probably legitimate concerns about the dub:

- I'm not really sure how are they going to dub some of the names and terms in this show.
-- Sora and Shiro... do you suppose they will be called Sky and White here? Not really likely, so I REALLY hope whoever picks NGNL up doesn't do this.
-- Izuna's syntax. "How do I f***ing talk in this crappy English dub? Desu."
-- Jibril. She's named after the Islamic equivalent of the Archangel Gabriel. Do you suppose they will call her Gabriel or Gabe here?

- The series as a whole has a lot of promise, but I do really hope they don't screw up this dub. As stated above, Funi or Viz should pick this one up, but I favor Funi or them collaborating with other studios such as Viz.
-- Sora will be a real challenge to dub, unless you're JYB, Justin Cook, or Micah Solusod. Whoever dubs him must give off Jim Carrey vibes when he goes up and down with his expressions.
--- I haven't heard Bryce Papenbrook yet, but if the hype about him is for real, he could be the guy to voice Sora since he already had voiced one of Yoshitsugu Matsuoka's characters, namely, Kirito of Sword Art Online.
-- I would love Shiro to be voiced by a rookie, since her voice is almost always monotonous, but it's just fine with me if they give the role to more experienced VAs such as Monica Rial, Wendee Lee, Christine Marie Cabanos, Cristina Valenzuela, or Sarah Williams.

That's all at the moment.
Old 2014-09-14, 23:25   Link #4
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Some probably legitimate concerns about the dub:

- I'm not really sure how are they going to dub some of the names and terms in this show.
-- Sora and Shiro... do you suppose they will be called Sky and White here? Not really likely, so I REALLY hope whoever picks NGNL up doesn't do this.
-- Izuna's syntax. "How do I f***ing talk in this crappy English dub? Desu."
-- Jibril. She's named after the Islamic equivalent of the Archangel Gabriel. Do you suppose they will call her Gabriel or Gabe here?
First off, the series has already been licensed by Sentai Filmworks. Funi and Viz are out of the picture.

Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about most of these. Sora, Shiro, and Jibril will keep their names. This isn't 4kids we're talking about here (though keep in mind that there are multiple accepted spellings of Jibril, as with many Arabic names). Izuna's odd syntax will be in, since it's mentioned in-series. Whether they'll keep the "desu" (unlikely, but possible since the context is related to differences in language), or go with "please", like with the the Crunchyroll sub (most likely IMO, since it makes sense in context), or go with something different, is unknown. As for the other various terms, I expect most of them to either stay as they are in the Crunchyroll dub, or see small changes.

I'm curious to see if they even bother translating the words in the Materialization Shiratori game (I would just sub the words, speak them in their original languages, and offer translation notes where necessary), or if they try to adapt it to English. Crunchyroll only had a few days to work with and did a...passable job doing the latter, so it's likely possible, given more time.

As for cast, you guys would know better than me. The last English dub I saw that had more than one voice I recognized was Haruhi. Here is the cast list for Prisma Illya (1st season), to give you an idea of the pool Sentai is drawing from. My guess is it will be all over the place, since Sentai's predecessor, ADV, wasn't known for sticking to a particular stable of talent.
Old 2014-09-15, 22:07   Link #5
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm, not familiar with Sentai, but if they're getting talent from all over the English-speaking world, I say let's bring the house down for VA recommendations in NGNL.

I'm not familiar with most of the English cast of Prisma Illya, but I do see one VA that I'm familiar with, so now I can recommend pretty much whoever I want.

Although, Cynthia Martinez and Caitlynn French piqued my interest. Maybe they can do any female character in NGNL.

I think they should try to adapt the Materialization Shiratori game into English, although that's going to be pretty hard.

Hmm, I have class now, so I'll be back later for my VA recommendations.

And BTW, quigonkenny, thanks for the assurance.
Old 2014-09-15, 22:21   Link #6
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

As I glossed over in my previous post, Sentai Filmworks is basically the successor to ADV. Check out the Wikipedia page for ADV for a pretty in-depth description of their relationship.
Old 2014-09-18, 19:08   Link #7
Dark Paladin X

Here's a quick list of voice actors who work with Sentai Filmworks as per TV Tropes page. Scroll down to "Dub Voice Actors", "Texas", "Primarily works in Houston for Seraphim Digital Studios and Sentai Filmworks" for the list of voice actors. Keep in note that this isn't the full list of voice actors who worked with Sentai Filmworks (there are more lesser known voice actors who work with them) and Sentai Filmworks has been recently flying over a few folks from Dallas (Funimation) in some of their dubs (such as Tia Ballard as Komari Kamikita in the Little Busters! dub), and it's even stated that Jad Saxton will be in one of their dubs as well.

That being said, with a few rare exceptions (Josh Grelle, Monica Rial, Jessica Calvello, Luci Christian, Hilary Haag, Chris Ayres, Greg Ayres, David Matranga, Emily Neves, Maggie Flecknoe, Carli Mosier, Chris Patton, Jessica Calvello, Brittney Karbowski), most of Sentai Filmworks voice actors aren't very well-known among the anime fanbase when compared to the Funimation voice actors like J. Michael Tatum, Brina Palencia, and Micah Solusod; or many of the Los Angeles based voice talents such as many of the former Funimation regulars (Travis Willingham, Todd Haberkorn, Cherami Leigh, Laura Bailey, Kyle Hebert, Vic Mignogna, and Troy Baker), Johnny Yong Bosch, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal, Cristina Vee, and many more on the list.

This is because Sentai Filmworks, if you compare the relative size to Funimation and Viz Media, is a much smaller company and lesser known when compared to the other two. It also doesn't help to note that the anime Sentai Filmworks pick up is much lesser known and more niche when compared to the catalog Viz Media and Funimation has (if you ask me, more anime fans will be more familiar with Attack on Titan than Black Bullet). The voice actors Sentai Filmworks tend to use are usually either relatively newer names or those who are less known to the anime fanbase in addition to their more-established voice actors.

Case in point, if you compare Erik Kimerer (a newer voice actor in Los Angeles known for his work as Alibaba from Magi and Ryuuji from Toradora) to his Houston counterpart, Clint Bickham (a more experienced voice actor known for his roles like O.D. from Gatchaman Crowds and Renju Asou from the ef tales series), I can argue that anime fans will be more familiar to Erik Kimerer over Clint Bickham.

Also, unlike Funimation who is willing to fly folks from Los Angeles in some of their dubs, Sentai Filmworks has never done something like that due to running in a limited budget and their rushed schedule. That being said, Sentai Filmworks is slowly flying a few voice talent from Dallas in some of their dubs as well.

For their dub quality, it's usually hit or miss for most anime fans. A lot of criticisms in many of their dubs is either they are rushed, bad casting decisions, very cheesy script writing, and poor ADR Direction. I will say, however, that their dubbing quality has slightly improved over the last three years, but they still aren't top notch when compared to Bang Zoom and Funimation dubs since some of their mistakes are still present.
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.
Old 2014-09-20, 01:45   Link #8
judasmartel
*Author

Very well, then. How about this cast?

Spoiler for Sentai dub:

Spoiler for Reasons:

Of course, I would like to give chances to the new yet-unfamiliar VA's to shine. And I think this dub can give them the huge breaks for their careers.
Old 2014-09-21, 17:13   Link #9
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Very well, then. How about this cast?

Spoiler for Sentai dub:

Spoiler for Reasons:

Of course, I would like to give chances to the new yet-unfamiliar VA's to shine. And I think this dub can give them the huge breaks for their careers.
Well, I'll freely admit my limited dub knowledge, but I am familiar with Greg Ayres from his ADV days (and pretty sure I worked with him in retail before he got into voice acting), and he's best known for playing younger characters. I don't know how much range he has outside of that, but I'm pretty sure Ino would be outside of his wheelhouse.

Also, pretty sure you meant Izuna at the end there...
Old 2014-12-17, 23:30   Link #10
Strikefreedom117

because i love this series, LN and anime, i may actually watch this dub
Old 2015-03-24, 17:13   Link #11
bakato

Dubbed! Nothing on the cast though.
Old 2015-05-11, 09:55   Link #12
judasmartel
*Author

Great news. Will be waiting for this one.

Here's to hoping Micah Solusod and Monica Rial would get Sora and Steph, respectively.
Old 2015-06-18, 07:28   Link #13
judasmartel
*Author

Still no dub cast, huh?

Let me try.

Spoiler for English dub cast:

Slightly different from my previous cast. Hope I get it right, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
-snip-
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2015-06-18 at 18:55.
Old 2015-06-18, 21:55   Link #14
Frontier

Scott Gibbs will be playing Sora.

Old 2015-06-18, 22:35   Link #15
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Scott Gibbs will be playing Sora.

Really? Who are the other cast members? Where did you get that?

Doing research on him now.
Old 2015-06-18, 23:00   Link #16
judasmartel
*Author

Holy smoke, he's awesome! He sounds just like Sora, the "no f**ks are given" Sora. Complete with stating the rule numbers in Spanish. Numero seis, anyone? And plus, he seems to enjoy every single recording.

Turns out he's the brother of voice actor Adam Gibbs.

Looks like this NGNL dub's going to be good. Still waiting for the other characters though.
Old 2015-06-18, 23:10   Link #17
judasmartel
*Author

Based on that video, my guesses are:

Brittney Karbowski OR Brina Palencia as Tet
Emily Neves OR Monica Rial as Shiro

What do you think?
Old 2015-06-24, 17:26   Link #18
Frontier

Actually, Caitylnn French has been announced as Shiro .
Old 2015-06-24, 23:32   Link #19
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for Sentai dub:
Yeah! Finally got one VA right the first time!

Uh, there's something lacking in Caitlynn's performance as Shiro in that trailer. But then, it's only a trailer, things may get better once the dub comes out.

As usual, Scott Gibbs as Sora is so awesome I might get used to his voice after a while.

Say, who do you think would land Steph's role?
Old 2015-07-02, 21:07   Link #20
judasmartel
*Author

Sara Ornelas (Cui Yifei from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse) as Stephanie Dola.

Spoiler for reaction:

Jessica Nigri (Sonico from Super Sonico) is a heavy favorite to play as Jibril. What do you think?

-
Closed Thread