Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-05-17, 23:17   Link #1
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
"Anime" behaviors and expressions

These are not necessarily 'cliches', but more like 'tropes'. Is there a certain pose or quirk you see in anime that you find unbelievably moe? Are there ones you really hate or 'just don't get'? This is the thread to talk about them.^^ And if anyone can offer the 'origins' of these quirks, I'd be delighted to learn them. Because some of them are just "......what? "

I'll list some, starting with my favorites....with crappy mouse-drawn examples. :

My Faves!

1. Luminescent Blush: Blushing is cute, there's just no doubt about that. But when a character's face turns completely red all over, it's not just adorable, it's pretty freaking funny too. XD It's not a trope completely unique to anime (many other cartoonists do it too) but anime definitely does it best-no question!

2. Fist-across-the-mouth: Anime guys do this the most, usually when they're embarrassed and I go crazy for it. Just add the LB, a hesitant utterance of "baka" and I'm completely sold. This is definitely "my moe" and normally can trigger a "squee" type of reaction from me. So far, this seems exclusive to anime and manga. I haven't really seen it anywhere else?

3. Finger-twiddling: A feminine version of behavior 2...sort of. Girls in anime normally do this when they're feeling awkward, shy, or are asking someone for a favor. It's very timid and VERY adorable. Haven't seen this extremely moe trope other than anime and manga?

4. Sleepy Eyes: Most otaku would say Lucky Star's Izumi Konata put this trope on the map, and I'm assuming this is right. But I encountered this face in a shoujo manga quite a few years before Lucky Star became a hit. I find it to be a rather cute day-dreamy or 'derp' face. XD

5. "OH CRAP" Face: Lawl. The eyes have to be wide and the teeth have to be gritted. Extra points of the teeth appear as fangs. Can also be a face to express extreme rage (but you would have a 'vein mark' for that.) Not exclusive to anime/manga. I've seen it in American cartoons too.

6. The "(>.<)" Face: The eyes are two greater than/less than signs pointed inward. I'm wondering if this all began with a Japanese type face like
(>.<) and then it got more popular. I'm mentioning this because I don't recall seeing this face in 90s anime (and older) but more into the 2000s, and typing on the Internet got really really REALLY big during daily routines?
Anyway, it's really cute. XD MOE

7. Face-faulting. No illustration here but the character falls down when another says something either 1.stupid or 2. completely unexpected. I never was able to understand this at first...but I've really come to love it. It's funny! It would be cool if someone could explain how this trope came about. Is it used in Japanese comedy routines too like tsukkomi? Or just anime and manga?

8. Spit-take: This has been used in all types of media I've seen, cartoons, live action, etc. Anime really exaggerates the amount of liquid, making the spit-take look as if the character has a hose in their mouth. XD
Spoiler for But Bleach's example is probably the best I've seen, taking it a step further::

I mean, how can you look at that with a straight face!?

9. Sparkly tears: Self-explanatory. Who knew crying could look so beautiful? Not limited to tears either. I've seen sparkles used for ALL types of erm....liquid. Some of them pretty gross too....

Least Faves

1. SWIRLY GLASSES. I just don't like it. XD I think it looks stupid. It's probably supposed to look stupid because the character is a geek/nerd (but not the cool type). So while I don't like it, it's pretty straight-to-the-point: "here's a stereotypical otaku loser". lol

2. Puffy-Cheek Pout Face. Well, I'm on the fence with this. Sometimes it's cute but sometimes it can make the girl look like a pig, depending on how it's done, thus, rather unattractive. It's entirely up to the artist, I think. For "cute pouting" I think sticking out the bottom lip is cuter. XD

Ones I don't really get

1. Spirals. Just spirals. Apparently there are "spirals of depression" and "spirals of happiness?" I think I heard the depression spirals are meant to represent "sad spirits/ghosts" or something like that? But if the character has spirals on her cheeks, she's happy. If there's a spiral on her finger when she points at you, she's being triumphant or prideful. Can anyone clear this up? :3

2. Blue face. Representing fear or illness. Pretty different to how American cartoonists use white and green, respectively. Though they'll use the color blue if the character is lacking air....

3. Eye-lid tongue face. It's just the eyelid part I don't get. Or that you have to use your pinky to pull the lower lid downwards while your tongue is sticking out. Characters seem to get so pissed at this gesture....I'm wondering if it's about as rude as giving the finger to someone in America? XD (which isn't as obscene in Japan, as I understand?)

Before anyone asks, yes, I draw manga and yes, expressions are my favorite things to draw, hands-down, er, aside from make-out scenes XD
Old 2012-05-17, 23:54   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I find expressions with shadows over the face accompanied by warped eyes and a frown rather badass. If a hero makes that face it signifies he/she is incredibly pissed off and is going to relentlessly take down the opponent:

Spoiler for Example:

For villains it's similar, but instead of a frown I like a nice toothy slasher smile. It always screams to me "you don't know who you're fucking with", thus showing just how much of a threat they really are:

Spoiler for Example:

As for expressions I don't understand...

Nosebleeds when a character is sexually aroused. Makes no goddamn sense.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-05-18 at 03:07.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 01:28   Link #3
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post

1. Luminescent Blush: Blushing is cute, there's just no doubt about that. But when a character's face turns completely red all over, it's not just adorable, it's pretty freaking funny too. XD It's not a trope completely unique to anime (many other cartoonists do it too) but anime definitely does it best-no question!

3. Finger-twiddling: A feminine version of behavior 2...sort of. Girls in anime normally do this when they're feeling awkward, shy, or are asking someone for a favor. It's very timid and VERY adorable. Haven't seen this extremely moe trope other than anime and manga?
These are freaking cute and hit my moe radar hard.

Quote:
7. Face-faulting. No illustration here but the character falls down when another says something either 1.stupid or 2. completely unexpected. I never was able to understand this at first...but I've really come to love it. It's funny! It would be cool if someone could explain how this trope came about. Is it used in Japanese comedy routines too like tsukkomi? Or just anime and manga?
Ugh, this is annoying. An overdone reaction, especially something nonsensical, does not make a joke funny and might even make it less funny.

Quote:
1. SWIRLY GLASSES. I just don't like it. XD I think it looks stupid. It's probably supposed to look stupid because the character is a geek/nerd (but not the cool type). So while I don't like it, it's pretty straight-to-the-point: "here's a stereotypical otaku loser". lol

2. Puffy-Cheek Pout Face. Well, I'm on the fence with this. Sometimes it's cute but sometimes it can make the girl look like a pig, depending on how it's done, thus, rather unattractive. It's entirely up to the artist, I think. For "cute pouting" I think sticking out the bottom lip is cuter. XD
I don't like these either. The first one is a lame substitute for people who don't put effort into making their character look like a geek. The second evokes comparisons to spoiled toddlers, and thus looks terrible on teens/adults, even if they are immature already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
As for expressions I don't understand...

Nosebleeds when a character is sexually aroused. Makes no goddamn sense.
Blood rushes to your head when you are aroused. In cartoons, the amount of blood is exaggerated, so it has to come out somewhere, and the best place is the nose.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 01:32   Link #4
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:

2. Fist-across-the-mouth: Anime guys do this the most, usually when they're embarrassed and I go crazy for it. Just add the LB, a hesitant utterance of "baka" and I'm completely sold. This is definitely "my moe" and normally can trigger a "squee" type of reaction from me. So far, this seems exclusive to anime and manga. I haven't really seen it anywhere else?
What came to mind after seeing that image is someone using back of hand to wipe lips after receiving a punch / got beat up.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 02:35   Link #5
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

the disappearing eyes
http://animediet.net/wp-content/uplo.../myself1-5.jpg
http://lurei.files.wordpress.com/201...as-no-eyes.png
http://lurei.files.wordpress.com/201...rd-ep-47-6.jpg
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/answ...82_500_288.jpg

I've seen it in various ways but I never knew the purpose of it
Edit
I forgot to mention that even in some Hentai the male has no eyes

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2012-05-18 at 11:55.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 03:42   Link #6
HasuMasu
*Artist

Expression tropes eh? Oh my, too many to mention.

Regarding the blush, I like it better when it doesn't cover the entire face in red.

Face-faulting has to be one of my favorites, never get tired of it.
Old 2012-05-18, 06:06   Link #7
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Dissapearing eyes makes someone look sinister. Why? Because Eyes are the gateway to the soul, especially in anime where the eyes are exagerated. Hiding the eyes, makes the character "faceless".
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 11:33   Link #8
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Dissapearing eyes makes someone look sinister. Why? Because Eyes are the gateway to the soul, especially in anime where the eyes are exagerated. Hiding the eyes, makes the character "faceless".
I thought of a more simple use of "hiding/masking the character's expression".

Often used when a character received a mental blow and is down, which usually also preludes to either explosion of anger or sadness.
Old 2012-05-18, 15:08   Link #9
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
What came to mind after seeing that image is someone using back of hand to wipe lips after receiving a punch / got beat up.
Baka....

The expression reads "I'm embarrassed". Note the slight blush and averted, lidded eyes?
Old 2012-05-19, 07:30   Link #10
Pink Cow
This is my title.

That finger twiddling... I actually do that IRL. Lol. It was a habit of mine when I was a kid and when I was extremely shy. So I've been doing it before I even knew about anime.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 11:38   Link #11
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
That finger twiddling... I actually do that IRL. Lol. It was a habit of mine when I was a kid and when I was extremely shy. So I've been doing it before I even knew about anime.
I do it too. XD But only after seeing Mihoshi do it in Tenchi Muyo.
Old 2012-05-19, 16:50   Link #12
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
The oh crap face and the obvious blushing one are pretty unique and most used considering in most anime characters are often put into a situations that make use of said expressions ie. pissing off a heroine, a lovely compliment, character making/perceives a misunderstanding.

Maybe it's just me watching a lot of anime that involves tsunderes and the main guy screwing all the time.
Old 2012-05-19, 20:12   Link #13
lml99

The nervous awkward eyetwitch, the depressed person in fetal position with black/purple lines streaming above his head, and the devious chuckle with a blacked out face save for a glittering eye, and unique laughs (Kururu's my favorite)
lml99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 21:51   Link #14
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
I think I remember seeing this at least as far back as Doraemon manga, and afaik that's one of the oldest manga around. Come to think of it, how did this trope come to life, I wonder? I don't know if Doraemon invented this or it took it from somewhere else.
Old 2012-05-19, 23:11   Link #15
Dr. Casey

I shyly rub the back of my head sometimes and laugh whenever I'm embarassed, is that moe?

Hm, far as the anime tics mentioned in the opening go... characters doing the >.< face is pretty adorable (Though it's sadly underutilized), the sleepy eyes are cute in moderation though I'd rather not have characters keep their eyes closed all the time because eyes are some of my favorite facial features (Anime or real life, I hate when people wear sunglasses all the time), spit takes are funny, and the twiddling of fingers/fist across the mouth are both really cute. Swirly glasses are always ugly and make for crappy character designs; I've never liked them much, though thankfully I've rarely seen them since Umino in Sailor Moon.

One anime tic that I thankfully rarely see nowadays is where an angry character's head grows huge and fills up the screen as they rage and scream. It's... incredibly dumb and annoying, and just makes me sigh and think "Why does Japan think this is funny" every time I see it, but thankfully that isn't very often these days.

Rambly foggyheaded post is rambly.

edit: lmao, thanks for the pos rep mysterious stranger <3

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2012-05-20 at 03:20.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 10:12   Link #16
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

One of my favorite expressions is the "blank circle eyes" (゚Д゚) expression.

I find it being used for a variety of reactions ranging from confusion to surprise, to embarrassment, to amusement.

Images
confused
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
embarrassed
Images
shocked
Images
amused
Images
surprised
Images
intimidated
Images
strangled
Images
tamed

There are also variants that draw the eyes as blank ovals, and the style varies from the "repeatedly drawn" look to the solid look, but in general, the eyes are blanks with no colored irises.

It's also quite prevalent in manga, though I don't have any ready examples at the moment.
Old 2012-05-21, 20:26   Link #17
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml99 View Post
The nervous awkward eyetwitch,
Oh LOVE that one!! Actually I love it more when it's a twitch of anger. XD
Old 2012-05-21, 21:01   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I can’t find any pics but I always find it funny whenever characters flap their arms fast like wings whenever they’re in panic .
Old 2012-05-21, 21:21   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Mine.

1) The :< face of Konoe Subaru.

2) The neko face when someone is excited about "wanting" something.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 01:39   Link #20
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
"Geez, women."

Heh, I remember a guy acting like a tsundere after getting kiss by the girl he likes.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote