AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-03-01, 18:19   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Popular TV shows you just don't like

Despite my love for anime and internet, I do spent time on TVs. Maybe I just want to accompany my parents or siblings watching their favorite shows. However some of their favorites does left some bad aftertaste for me. I'm not going to list all of them but I just picked the popular ones that people may agree with me. I didn't hate these shows at all and that's why I made the thread title "don't like" instead of hate.

1. Glee
I know lots of people disagree with me but for me it just High School Musical with sex and other mature stuffs thrown into in. In fact some people actually call it as "High School Musical for young adults". While I don't have many other rants for it but it just failed to impress me.

2. Lost
The first season was awesome. It is more character-driven than plot-driven than most other shows in it time. Unfortunately the second season and the rest just really "lost". No pun intended.

3. CSI Las Vegas/Miami/New York
The first few seasons was great. So great that I downloaded them illegally on the internet to watch it before the TV channels in my country show them. after couple years and seasons, it went downgrade and some of its cases become more and more absurd and even impossible to happen. Now CSI become Detectice Conan and Doraemon of live-action TV series as they producer and director had best chances to end them but unfortunately they just keep these shows alive for many more years to come.

4. Heroes
Hype fails. Even the first season(which considered best season to critics and fans) failed to impress me. Maybe superhero-themed live-action TV series is not my cup of tea.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 18:34   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Everything that breaks common sense or fakes reality; such as tacking a image with 30 pixels and "enhancing it" or all those unrealistic hacking crap.
Old 2011-03-01, 19:51   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its probably easier for me to list what few series I can stand to be in the room with for more than 3 minutes. American television is mostly broken, stripped to the bare minimum that will keep "consumer-units" watching through commercial breaks. The question is usually - are they giving the consumer-units what they want? or are they supplying nothing else and hoping the consumer-units are too comatose to ask for something else?

The eyeball count for television (cable or broadcast) has been steadily shrinking for the last 15-20 years. Some of it is because entertainment has expanded but a lot of it is based on the density of crap passed off as 'drama' or 'comedy'.
Old 2011-03-02, 04:39   Link #4
Irkalla
I asked for this

I don't like most of the more mainstream series like Skins, Csi, Modern Family, Desperate Housewives, Gosssip Girl and the like.
Old 2011-03-02, 04:40   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Pretty much every drama and reality show. Which accounts for almost everything There are a few that I like, but many that I don't like.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 04:52   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I could list a plenty since I don't have much taste at all for american t.v. especially most more recent stuff, but one in particular I don't like at all that is definitely popular[or was anyways]:
South Park
The art style and dialogue in way the characters talk bother me to no end, and the humor was disappointing to me considering how much fame the series has.

I am sure I'll be disagreed with here .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 07:30   Link #7
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Everything. I used to really like 24 and the Event - one is cancelled, the cancellation of the other at the end of this season (its first, yay for rushed or no ending) is a foregone conclusion. At this point I'll only watch TV if feeling extremely lazy and it will only be something like Food Network that doesn't try to pretend its shows have a "plot". Saddest part is I considered 24 to be dumb entertainment and a guilty pleasure but it's way more intelligent than most of what's on now...
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 13:48   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most of what is available is on the level of "cartoon" and I don't mean that kindly. Ignoring the idiotic gladiator spectacles (Survivor, Idol, Loser, reality, etc)... I can point to a few shows that entertain me for a bit.
1) NCIS (original) - its a cartoon, but I find the characters likable. As long as they stick to the core character relationships and the crime itself or outside nonsense doesn't get in the way its like an anime slice-of-life bit of relaxing.
2) The Good Wife - also mostly a cartoon, but the situations and skewering of institutions are amusing. I have a feeling the show is running out of steam though.
3) Big Bang Theory - stand up group comedy with the occasional joke of an XKCD level, "fire-and-forget".
4) Craig Ferguson (late night talkshow) -stand up comedy and lunacy.

Probably if my wife didn't watch these as well, I'd drift away completely.

Otherwise, its PBS time - news, analysis, documentaries, science. Occasionally, a short series like "Doc Martin" or "New Tricks" will catch my attention -- but the GREAT thing about most BBC series is that they have a fixed length, they tell a story, they're done. They don't try to be "never-ending garbage". US television tries this occasionally but they just can't stop themselves... unlike "Shogun" or "Roots" of a few decades ago - recent series like "Heroes" and "24" were meant to be complete stories but had to be dragged kicking and screaming to closure.
Old 2011-03-02, 16:19   Link #9
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The only channel I watch on broadcast television anymore is the Discovery Channel. Has some very interesting stuff on there like "Life" or "Destroyed in Seconds", though not ALL the shows are that interesting.

If I had to pick a kind of show I can't stand watching though that would be reality shows.

Other than that, everything else I watch is in DVD collections or online.
Old 2011-03-02, 17:46   Link #10
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

The Office....
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 18:24   Link #11
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I used to like Family Guy when it first came out, but it has gone way downhill. I will still watch it sometimes, for stupid, mindless antics, but it is a shell of its former self. Basically, it really went downhill when it came back on air. I dunno why I even watch it sometimes, it isn't a good show to me any more. I guess I don't mind stupid humor sometimes.

I don't watch the new Simpsons episodes because that series should have been ended by now, but it is my favorite animated comedy for when it was good, from Season 2 onto 1999/2000. When it was good, it was great!

Some popular shows I also don't like: Grey's Anatomy, Jersey Shore, and any reality TV show except Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (that show helps people).
Old 2011-03-02, 21:15   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I hate TV, for the most part. The only channels I get regular enjoyment out of are National Geographic and its related stations. Unfortunately, History Channel, Discovery, and Nat Geo are starting to get polluted with reality TV as well (some, like Pawn Stars, is nice, but I miss the days where science/history were the main focus). NG is the least affected thus far, but seems to be creeping steadily towards the others.

It's easier to name the few shows I actually like - Seinfeld, King of the Hill, Futurama, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Pawn Stars being the main ones.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 21:26   Link #13
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Oh jeez where do begin.

Lets see now, South Park, The Office, Heros, Glee, House.
And those are just a small fraction, I actually had to delete a lot because it would make my message really long, plus I think I was basically trolling every single show lol
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 22:05   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I hate TV, for the most part. The only channels I get regular enjoyment out of are National Geographic and its related stations. Unfortunately, History Channel, Discovery, and Nat Geo are starting to get polluted with reality TV as well (some, like Pawn Stars, is nice, but I miss the days where science/history were the main focus). NG is the least affected thus far, but seems to be creeping steadily towards the others.

It's easier to name the few shows I actually like - Seinfeld, King of the Hill, Futurama, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Pawn Stars being the main ones.
I also like Futurama and the National Geographic channel. History channel plays some good stuff, but has too many "Doomsday/2012" programs that annoy me. History Channel plays some other crap, too. At least Discovery Channel has Mythbusters. I like some Travel Channel programs, too, namely Bizarre Foods and No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain.
Old 2011-03-02, 22:06   Link #15
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Ah yes, Bizarre Foods is always a fun program. I don't watch it regularly but it's enjoyable whenever I catch it. I'd like to have his job! I mean, he eats some gross stuff, but the experience must be amazing.
Old 2011-03-02, 22:11   Link #16
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Sometimes The Office thinks it's funny, but I really don't laugh much.
Old 2011-03-02, 22:20   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I am sometimes led to believe people who like The Office have never actually watched The Office.

At least not while sober.
Old 2011-03-02, 22:25   Link #18
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Eh, the first two seasons were pretty funny. It's just that, like many other shows (Family Guy being the main one sticking out in my mind right now), it's devolved into nonsense over time. The Office seems to be too focused on pandering to their preteen female fans.
Old 2011-03-02, 22:44   Link #19
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
it's devolved into nonsense over time.
Sometimes it devolves into nonsense quickly, while pretending to be serious. For example, as much as I enjoyed the acting, "atmosphere", and drama of the Battlestar remake....I just couldn't take the actual plot seriously. Especially the ending. I get what the writers were trying to do, but in the end they cheapened a good concept by adding in too much (imo) religious subtext.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against using religion in sci-fi, but the way it was done in BSG felt very heavy handed and at times, contrived as a plot device.
Old 2011-03-02, 23:21   Link #20
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

All reality tv shows outside of the discovery channel