Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-15, 11:38   Link #1
koji

is all anime ost illegal?
Old 2003-11-15, 11:44   Link #2
Esperchld
Photographer

No, they aren't illegal if you BUY them from a LEGIT retailer. (ie. don't download them and don't buy bootlegs).
Old 2003-11-15, 13:58   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Here are a couple of forum hints and tips.

* Give a thread a decent name. No one will know what you want to talk about if you call the thread "." or "Help".
* Post in an appropriate forum. Do not pick the first one that comes to mind, put some thought as to where the topic under discussion might belong.
* Try to explain what it is you want to know.

Since this thread has nothing to do with Anime Music, I'm moving it into the General Anime forum and renaming it.

I'm still not sure what it is you are really asking. Clearly most Anime OSTs are legal, because the company who owns the rights have released it. Clearly bootlegs and OST downloads are illegal.
Old 2003-11-15, 14:23   Link #4
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
Becareful where you shop for them, i got a few bootlegs without even knowing back when i didn't understand the prices of anime items that well.
Old 2003-11-16, 08:35   Link #5
Keops
Pixel artist

If you're talking about anime OSTs downloads, sure, they're illegal, as much illegal as fansubs and DVD rips are.

If you're talking about the OSTs you can buy they CAN be illegal, so you must be very careful. Commonly the OSTs made in Japan by labels such as Victor, RCA, Pony Canyon are legal... They're produced by the same producers as the anime series... But most bootlegs and or asian releases are illegal, such as SonMay and Ever Anime... Keep this in mind when shopping for anime OSTs.

Hope this information helps.

Ja ne!
Old 2003-11-16, 23:44   Link #6
[^_^x]

Most people on this forum are anti Piracy eh? Too bad im a pirate.
Old 2003-11-17, 00:22   Link #7
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Dude, you're not gonna last very long here then.... =p
Old 2003-11-17, 13:52   Link #8
[^_^x]

Why is that?
Old 2003-11-17, 14:48   Link #9
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by [^_^x]
Most people on this forum are anti Piracy eh? Too bad im a pirate.
Most people in this forum aren't anti-piracy, they just don't wanna brag about it that's all. Especially in this forum, where everybody's an angel. You'll last here just don't ask about illegal stuff, do the search somewhere else on your own.
Old 2003-11-17, 15:13   Link #10
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
SonMay is illegal? really? but i thought.....i mean they sell a lot of cds with inserts and everything...and bootlegs normally dont have inserts...Plus many anime stores sell them...

oh well, u learn something new everyday.
Old 2003-11-17, 15:15   Link #11
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMelody
SonMay is illegal? really? but i thought.....i mean they sell a lot of cds with inserts and everything...and bootlegs normally dont have inserts...Plus many anime stores sell them...

oh well, u learn something new everyday.
They put in all those inserts and stuff to make it look authentic and fool the occasional shopper. Besides, it's not hard to do all of those if you have a real factory anyways
Old 2003-11-17, 15:42   Link #12
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Yup, Sonmay got me too when I bought my Kenshin soundtrack. It really looked official w/ inserts and stuff. I got 3 discs w/ all the songs I like for $18 which I thought wasn't a bad deal.
Old 2003-11-17, 15:55   Link #13
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
Oh wow. I bought couple of soundtracks from them and the thought of them being not real never crossed my mind....

Then how come noone told them anything? I mean they actually have a factory.....
Old 2003-11-17, 16:51   Link #14
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

They don't care because they're based in Taiwan, the breeding ground of bootleggers. =p

And [^_^x], if you want to be a pirate, you can't do it here. You'll have to go do that on your own.
Old 2003-11-17, 21:43   Link #15
[^_^x]

What do you mean? Im already a pirate. Ive been one for years. But Its not like im selling to people on here or telling them where to get licensed anime and stuff. Therefore I pose no threat. I just dont like pirate bashers.
Old 2003-11-17, 22:34   Link #16
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
To me, it's a bit funny people are still talking about bootleg Anime/Jpop music CDs from Taiwan. Since Taiwan joined WTO last year, all these bootleg companies have been out of business. SonMay/EverAnime has not released a single new CD since then. There is another rouge company "struggling" but it's not getting anywhere near as what is used to be - ie still releasing music that's more than 6 months old.

Basically, the bootleg music industry from Taiwan is dead - for now. I think it would be more interesting if people talked about the "new bootlegers", the people who put whole NEWLY RELEASED CDs (meaning you can still buy them and it doesn't take a genious to use cdjapan) on BT. Of course, just like any old "anti-bootleg" discussion, it might not get anywhere in the end :P
Old 2003-11-18, 05:24   Link #17
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by [^_^x]
What do you mean? Im already a pirate. Ive been one for years. But Its not like im selling to people on here or telling them where to get licensed anime and stuff. Therefore I pose no threat. I just dont like pirate bashers.
IMO, that isn't something one should advertise freely that "whee I'm a pirate!" Plus it makes you sound like you're an unethical person right off the bat, which puts me right off you and makes me want to not interact with you at all. But you don't know me, so it's no skin off your back, eh? =p

And yeah, I know that SonMay/EverAnime haven't produced stuff in awhile, (they combined to form Alion, right? which is still struggling anyways), but there's probably tons of unsold stock sitting in anime shops the world over... =p
Old 2003-11-18, 07:52   Link #18
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
And yeah, I know that SonMay/EverAnime haven't produced stuff in awhile, (they combined to form Alion, right? which is still struggling anyways), but there's probably tons of unsold stock sitting in anime shops the world over... =p
Being someone from Hong Kong, yes, there are still tons of old stock sitting around waiting to be sold. As for SonMay and EverAnime joining, they were just different divisions under the same company to start with :P There's 1 or 2 currently struggling, but I haven't been keep my eyes on them for sometime so I'm not sure :P
Old 2003-11-18, 15:42   Link #19
[^_^x]

I am unethical. I d/l and sell on ebay. I steal from stores. Interaction is the least of my concerns. Information gathering is what im after. ^_~
Old 2003-11-18, 21:08   Link #20
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
that is wonderful. do we care?

i am a pirate.
i steal stuff
i am antisocial

... just so you know, the title of "pirate" isnt exactly like the Navy's Trident badge. This isnt one piece.

and he said you wont last long cuz it seems your posts are pointless and crappy.

DLing and selling on ebay is one of the worst things you can do because IT IS NOT YOUR MATERIAL. not only is it not your material, it was done FOR FANS BY FANS. not for fuckheads like you who only think of making a few bucks and ripping people off.
Closed Thread