AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2024-01-03, 18:57   Link #1661
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Congratulations to everyone!

Is announcing your marriage at the beginning of the year a new trend or something? Because that's quite a few.

I'm particularly happy for Kanae Ito because I like her a lot and she hasn't been doing so hot work-wise those past few years. She used to be really popular and then kinda vanished. Perhaps it was a choice on her part, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I feel as though the reason given for Miyano Mamoru's divorce is a seriously suspicious euphemism. People drift apart all the time during a marriage, but committed couples make time to bridge the gap and reconnect often enough so that it doesn't become a significant problem. That one or both partners in that marriage couldn't or wouldn't do that doesn't speak well of one or both of them.

And to think it was vastly unlikely back then for Mamoru Miyano to father a child (I remember hearing that he had fertility issues), but he did it anyway. The child isn't likely taking the news well at all. Divorces can be one of the most traumatic experiences a child can undergo.
They probably just wanted to let people know they parted on good terms so people wouldn't gossip and tarnish Miyano's reputation. The real reason for their divorce is none of our business.
Old 2024-01-03, 19:40   Link #1662
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

They probably just wanted to let people know they parted on good terms so people wouldn't gossip and tarnish Miyano's reputation. The real reason for their divorce is none of our business.
Exactly. Butt the hell out and let them have their privacy.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-03, 19:50   Link #1663
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:

Is announcing your marriage at the beginning of the year a new trend or something? Because that's quite a few.
I once read from a magazine article, Japanese tend to married by new year is because of two reasons.
First, symbolizing new year, new life as a couple. Second, much easier to remember their wedding anniversary in case they are busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I feel as though the reason given for Miyano Mamoru's divorce is a seriously suspicious euphemism. People drift apart all the time during a marriage, but committed couples make time to bridge the gap and reconnect often enough so that it doesn't become a significant problem. That one or both partners in that marriage couldn't or wouldn't do that doesn't speak well of one or both of them.

And to think it was vastly unlikely back then for Mamoru Miyano to father a child (I remember hearing that he had fertility issues), but he did it anyway. The child isn't likely taking the news well at all. Divorces can be one of the most traumatic experiences a child can undergo.
I'd agree it's weird if Mamo did not expanding his career as far as now.

He already covered voice actor, singer, lately he explored drama through recommendations.
Not a big role but fans, especially his fangirls, certainly interested to see more from him. As if entertainment world would let such persona just go back to his old schedule; I won't be surprised if they decided on divorce in awareness of how their privacy affected in future.
Old 2024-01-03, 23:09   Link #1664
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
I'm particularly happy for Kanae Ito because I like her a lot and she hasn't been doing so hot work-wise those past few years. She used to be really popular and then kinda vanished. Perhaps it was a choice on her part, I don't know.
The lifespan of female seiyuu careers is so short compared to the male ones for some reason
On the other hand, the men... yeah, though I guess having so many female characters compared to male doesn't help this

And newer VAs these days generally have "normal" voices, which means anyone can replace them (and they do)
Think about it. Kugimiya, Noto, Sugita, etc, etc. All VAs of the old generation

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-04, 02:54   Link #1665
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The lifespan of female seiyuu careers is so short compared to the male ones for some reason
On the other hand, the men... yeah, though I guess having so many female characters compared to male doesn't help this
It because the standard of VA already change compare to past.

During era of said VAs (Sawashiro, Kugimiya, Sakurai), any VA career easily secured the moment they fill certain niche (e.g. Hayami Saori, Ishikawa Yui).
When the niche filled enough, like it or not it developed into: you either show you're more than capable to compete with old names (e.g. Fairouz Ai career leap after she prove Jolyne can be voiced by not-Sawashiro) or have serious range and skills to elevate your presence (e.g. how Uesaka Sumire and Soma Saito belongs to plenty of franchise).

Old names do want to return if possible, director went easy typecast since rarely new characters break their mold, season 2 instead of new title. Hurdle like that present too.
Stressful? Definitely. We already had case of Taneda Risa and Sachika Misawa health once worsened due to pressure behind the scene, there's also story about newcomer male VA who lose his mind because he can't get any role for years since his debut.

It really put into perspective when Sugita and Nakamura said in radio talk that the reason they took supporting role in Goblin Slayer is because they're thinking of 'retire in a good way' (give chance for newcomers, not hogging certain role); IIRC Kamiya and Sawashiro also have similar thought.

If you look at how Kimetsu no Yaiba (and Fate, if not all anime under Aniplex) boasting all-stars VA as part of it appeal;
All the cheap isekai anime despite it poor range of characters actually helpful in allowing new names to stay so they can climb, build notable traits.
Old 2024-01-04, 06:45   Link #1666
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
I won't say she vanished. Moved to more supporting roles maybe, but she is definetely not out of worke. I counted her voicing 11 characters in different shows last year (and it's just anime, seiyuu also do dubs, voice games etc.). Comparing to my favorite female VA she is doing great.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-04, 20:22   Link #1667
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I won't say she vanished. Moved to more supporting roles maybe, but she is definetely not out of worke. I counted her voicing 11 characters in different shows last year (and it's just anime, seiyuu also do dubs, voice games etc.). Comparing to my favorite female VA she is doing great.

Who's that?
Old 2024-01-04, 22:22   Link #1668
larethian

Quote:
It seems to be pretty common for older VAs not to be casted as 'regulars' (roles having regular appearances in a show), and they tend not to fight for those roles as well (perhaps advised by their agencies), plus they still need to go for numerous auditions to land any role, regardless of their popularity.

Also, unless a VA is specifically requested, audition opportunities are left to the discretion of agencies on who to send. A VA might humbly request to audition for a role but the final decision is left to the agency. Agencies might (I have no facts about this, so take it with a grain) tend to want to market and give more opportunities to younger talent, if they are suitable. Older VAs would also have secured previous regular roles that they would reprise on when a show gets a continuation.

That being said, many VAs (who are less active in anime) do have work in the large number of social games in the mobile scene these days. There are also plenty of other work in radio (many VAs have at least one regular each work year), narration, foreign show dubbing, and even appearing on other VAs' streams. VAs of certain ranks also do part-time coaching at VA vocation schools, usually at their alma mater, or at schools affiliated with their agencies.

Incidentally, if my memory doesn't fail me, it was alluded by Kobayashi Yuusuke to that Itou Kanae was the one who advised him to make a commitment to quit his part-time jobs when he started landing a number of main roles in the year he had a breakthrough. The advice improved his focus and ability to perform. I'm pretty sure Itou Kanae is doing all right, compared to some other VAs who have literally disappeared.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-05, 01:38   Link #1669
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
All the cheap isekai anime despite it poor range of characters actually helpful in allowing new names to stay so they can climb, build notable traits.
Kinda doubt that. It might be giving them a bit of revenue, but no one watches those, so it might help them gain experience, but it isn't helping them climb.
But then again, being in a popular anime also doesn't net you stability. I think Bisque Doll was somewhat popular or something, but the heroine's VA only did a few pretty minor roles in 2023. Too much like luck and too many replacements these days
Nowadays, we would never be able to get a phenomenon like Hayashibara Megumi being literally everywhere at all times on TV

Quote:
I highly question the how much she earns playing characters that probably don't have more than a handful of lines throughout the entire anime
Not that I would know how many lines she has, because... yeah, I don't remember her existence last year

But yes, China (and I guess Korea but I don't play any of their games so don't know here) really likes the older VAs, so you can always count on them to use veterans

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2024-01-05, 03:24   Link #1670
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Kinda doubt that. It might be giving them a bit of revenue, but no one watches those, so it might help them gain experience, but it isn't helping them climb.
But then again, being in a popular anime also doesn't net you stability. I think Bisque Doll was somewhat popular or something, but the heroine's VA only did a few pretty minor roles in 2023. Too much like luck and too many replacements these days
Nowadays, we would never be able to get a phenomenon like Hayashibara Megumi being literally everywhere at all times on TV

I highly question the how much she earns playing characters that probably don't have more than a handful of lines throughout the entire anime
Not that I would know how many lines she has, because... yeah, I don't remember her existence last year

But yes, China (and I guess Korea but I don't play any of their games so don't know here) really likes the older VAs, so you can always count on them to use veterans
Not really.

First, Japan do have anime-onlies audience; plenty still using anime adaptation to decide whether they should buy source materials or not, and patient enough to wait until twelfth episode to decide. If anything at this point any production committee should be able to make rough estimates of when to use cheap isekai, original titles or the big, proven, most-read titles; I thought this is obvious enough from how cheap isekai tend to get low to mid quality animation compare to original and big titles.

Second, as I said, the landscape already change.
Back then barely any competition, risk of using newbie can be taken, not many typecast, no need to think of further sales.
Now, you can go to recording room with full confidence due to having 10+ voice range ended up failed the audition because the others sell better than you for live event.

Nowadays more VA do Instagram Q&A as alternative to streaming channel and radio talk.
Which also can be used by either agency or committee to measure fanbase, estimate benefits of giving the role to the VA.

Third, Marin's VA, Suguta Hina is part of Bang Dream! franchise as guitarist of Morfonica.
IIRC Morfonica is Bushiroad second or third most popular band last year. So she does have something goes for her.
I personally not surprised if she's not taking many roles, participating on many auditions, because it taxing enough combined with ridiculously critical fanbase.
Old 2024-01-05, 05:07   Link #1671
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Who's that?
Ayahi Takagaki.

Quote:
Showing your knowledge of the industry, I see. Seiyuu get flat daily payment based on their ranking in the VA guild. The more veterancy you have, the higher the rank. So if you work long enough in the industry, even minor roles get you enough pay.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2024-01-05 at 05:29.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-05, 10:35   Link #1672
Frontier

Quote:
I loved hearing her pop up in the Kenshin remake .

She's showing up in the new cour for Frieren, I believe .
Old 2024-01-05, 23:11   Link #1673
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
plenty still using anime adaptation to decide whether they should buy source materials or not
That's why they are burning through sourced material like wildfire, yes

Quote:
patient enough to wait until twelfth episode to decide.
I'd love to have that much confidence towards normies, but I highly doubt many do that. Otherwise, more people would be watching Ragna Crimson.
Of course, plenty is a vague number, so can't say much on what you are imagining

Quote:
If anything at this point any production committee should be able to make rough estimates of when to use cheap isekai, original titles or the big, proven, most-read titles; I thought this is obvious enough from how cheap isekai tend to get low to mid quality animation compare to original and big titles.
Not sure what you are trying to say, but yeah, obviously.

Quote:
Nowadays more VA do Instagram Q&A as alternative to streaming channel and radio talk.
Which also can be used by either agency or committee to measure fanbase, estimate benefits of giving the role to the VA.
Instagram? Dang, nowadays scare me even more

Quote:
Third, Marin's VA, Suguta Hina is part of Bang Dream! franchise as guitarist of Morfonica.
IIRC Morfonica is Bushiroad second or third most popular band last year. So she does have something goes for her.
I personally not surprised if she's not taking many roles, participating on many auditions, because it taxing enough combined with ridiculously critical fanbase.
Well, if you want to put it positively, yes, she doesn't have or want other jobs because she has to play guitar in real life for Bang Dream. Though according to the wiki, she became a VA to participate in anime and was influenced by Gintama or something like that, but life doesn't go the way we like sometimes, eh, as seen

Quote:
Showing your knowledge of the industry, I see. Seiyuu get flat daily payment based on their ranking in the VA guild. The more veterancy you have, the higher the rank. So if you work long enough in the industry, even minor roles get you enough pay.
That's good for her. Sure, we don't know she existed in 2023, but at least she's not starving on the sidewalks
Oh yeah, come to think of it, Koyasu or someone talked before about how VAs generally have to do part-time jobs because being a VA isn't enough, and I think this was before the whole invoice thing. But anyways yeah, enough *two thumbs up*

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2024-01-05 at 23:45.
Old 2024-01-06, 00:53   Link #1674
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
I'd love to have that much confidence towards normies, but I highly doubt many do that. Otherwise, more people would be watching Ragna Crimson.
Of course, plenty is a vague number, so can't say much on what you are imagining

Well, if you want to put it positively, yes, she doesn't have or want other jobs because she has to play guitar in real life for Bang Dream. Though according to the wiki, she became a VA to participate in anime and was influenced by Gintama or something like that, but life doesn't go the way we like sometimes, eh, as seen
Sorry but how could your personal preference, your taste is definite representation of target audience as a whole? Since when?

Last time I accompanied my friend to bookstore in Japan, to my surprise who curious about LN sales, we saw office ladies discussing which one better to read on break. Between S-Rank Monster no Behemoth or Reincarnated as Vending Machine because both looks like a fun read to her; her friend suggested to check both manga adaptation or watch anime adaptation for Vending Machine.

Isekai Smartphone is not a big title compare to Overlord but salaryman who read it on train exists too.
Blue Lock rarely made it to Top 20 manga sales in Japan prior to anime, after anime it one of Top 5 of 2023 alongside SxF and JJK.
Anime boost is still real, more games also wanted VA presence to appeal their playerbase, newcomers VA not short of opportunity just because you said so.

Vague number? LOL. To begin with it doesn't make sense to make product without awareness to supply and demand.
Contracted as guitarist for one of big franchise is a fault? Seems like you wanted to brand her as failure for not having role other than Marin. That's new low.
Old 2024-01-07, 03:59   Link #1675
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Sorry but how could your personal preference, your taste is definite representation of target audience as a whole? Since when?

Last time I accompanied my friend to bookstore in Japan, to my surprise who curious about LN sales, we saw office ladies discussing which one better to read on break. Between S-Rank Monster no Behemoth or Reincarnated as Vending Machine because both looks like a fun read to her; her friend suggested to check both manga adaptation or watch anime adaptation for Vending Machine.

Isekai Smartphone is not a big title compare to Overlord but salaryman who read it on train exists too.
Blue Lock rarely made it to Top 20 manga sales in Japan prior to anime, after anime it one of Top 5 of 2023 alongside SxF and JJK.
Anime boost is still real, more games also wanted VA presence to appeal their playerbase, newcomers VA not short of opportunity just because you said so.

Vague number? LOL. To begin with it doesn't make sense to make product without awareness to supply and demand.
...?
Ohhh. I thought you were saying that people often watch through an entire anime and don't quit after 3 or so episodes.
You were actually trying to say that people watch the entire season before deciding whether to buy something? That's... kinda so obvious I couldn't help but misunderstand.

Quote:
newcomers VA not short of opportunity just because you said so.
Ahh, I do recall a few days back, of someone who voices a character 4 years back or so of a game I played, there was a comment elsewhere saying "I hope she is doing good as a VA", so I went to check the Wiki and well...
But from your
Quote:
you either show you're more than capable to compete with old names (e.g. Fairouz Ai career leap after she prove Jolyne can be voiced by not-Sawashiro) or have serious range and skills to elevate your presence (e.g. how Uesaka Sumire and Soma Saito belongs to plenty of franchise).
statement, you are trying to say the VA industry is healthy and its the VA's fault they can't get roles. I can't really say I care either way whose fault it is though

Quote:
Contracted as guitarist for one of big franchise is a fault? Seems like you wanted to brand her as failure for not having role other than Marin. That's new low.
Hey, she's the one that said she wanted to be a VA to participate in anime. If being a few minor/nameless characters and spending the rest of her year in 2023 playing guitar in real life is a good thing for a VA career, sure.

Old 2024-01-07, 04:25   Link #1676
Chaotic_Reign

Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but as of this last hour it's been just announced that Hina is going to make her artist debut in April. There's often a 2 year gap between a breakout role and getting main roles in the next wave of productions (e.g. it took Koga Aoi 2 years from Kaguya-sama to appear in a wave of main roles) so hopefully this is the time for her to start, with the artist debut being linked to that and hopefully some anime tie-ups.
Chaotic_Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-07, 23:53   Link #1677
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Ayahi Takagaki.
Ah, yeah her roles have certainly dwindled lately. I really liked her as Erika in Durarara!, Mikoto in Norn 9, and Kotoha in Arata the Legend. And, looking at the dates of when those anime aired, man I feel old.
Old 2024-01-08, 01:36   Link #1678
larethian

Quote:
Ayahi Takagaki.

Actually, for game recording, it's based on the number of lines. Have been mentioned multiple times by VAs, including Matsuoka when he talked about the fully voiced Danmachi game, where he won a guinness record.

Other than that, yeah, you're right about the anime part. It's mostly independent of lines for studio recording sessions like anime, foreign show dubbing, and going on shows, etc. A VA gets paid the same amount if he just snorts vs an MC role. Though the fee is not always fixed per se (this is unclear except VAs that are unranked, essentially equals 'highest rank' and can command a pretty hefty sum), just that what is clearly stated by the union is that there has to be a floor pay of a fixed amount based on rank. The union they are registered is to is the same union for conventional actors.

I can't remember whether they also get a meager base pay from the agency even when they don't have jobs. Of course, an agency can choose not to recontract if they don't get enough work during their contract period, so they just can't stay permanently 'jobless'. I'd need to check it out to confirm about the base pay but seriously too lazy to do it . I probably heard that from a seiyuu variety episode from TV Asahi.

Last edited by larethian; 2024-01-08 at 01:50.
Old 2024-01-09, 20:06   Link #1679
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Ah, yeah her roles have certainly dwindled lately. I really liked her as Erika in Durarara!, Mikoto in Norn 9, and Kotoha in Arata the Legend. And, looking at the dates of when those anime aired, man I feel old.
I had honestly forgotten she voiced Kuro (the cat) in Blue Exorcist until I started watching the currently airing 3rd season .
Old 2024-02-15, 20:52   Link #1680
larethian

Only just saw in my feed, but apparently Ogura Yui got stalked:
https://twitter.com/OY_A_Official/st...68638177697903

Spoilers
Spoiler for translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?