AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2024-03-30, 17:56   Link #1
Engels

LG Blu-Ray player

Hey, some 10+ years that I don't post in this section...wow.

Not sure if it's appropriate either, but hey, why not try, at least?

So, yeah...here is the problem. I have a LG 3D Bluray Player that I have been meaning to watch some animes and tons of other stuff. It worked just fine until a couple months ago, when the remote control started to malfunction. I changed batteries, to no effect.

Basically, he "decides" when to function or not. What's worse, I can't use the player adequately without the control, since in this case, it has only the power and insert/eject disc buttons. Completely tired of that hassle, I went and bought a BRAND NEW LG remote control through Amazon (so it's definitely original, not a bootleg). And...it didn't work too! It displays the same issue as the first (old) control.

All this has led me to think the problem is with the player itself, not with the control, since, as I explained, I replaced it with a new one and it didn't help matters (and I lost 70 bucks...).

Can anyone help? How can I know what the actual problem is and fix it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Engels; 2024-03-30 at 18:30.
Engels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-31, 14:34   Link #2
Strahan

What exactly is the issue? As to fixing it, most likely, you're SOL. There isn't much one can do as far as user maintenance. I'd try a firmware update.

Amazon is pretty good about returns, you should try to do a return. Can't hurt, worst case they say no but more likely you'll be able to get your money back. Around here, I don't even have to futz with packaging; I just take it to Kohl's and they take care of all that.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-31, 18:34   Link #3
Engels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
What exactly is the issue? As to fixing it, most likely, you're SOL. There isn't much one can do as far as user maintenance. I'd try a firmware update.

Amazon is pretty good about returns, you should try to do a return. Can't hurt, worst case they say no but more likely you'll be able to get your money back. Around here, I don't even have to futz with packaging; I just take it to Kohl's and they take care of all that.
The issue is why doesn't any remote control works with it? And that I can't manually use the player, save for the most basic functions. Heck, I can't even use my pendrives in it. So, I NEED a functioning remote control.

As for the second point, it's a moot point. The Amazon return window was short and it already closed (and I don't even care that now I have 2 controls, I just want ANY of them to WORK).

Heck, I would even buy a third one if that would SOLVE the problem.

Last edited by Engels; 2024-03-31 at 18:45.
Old 2024-04-01, 16:12   Link #4
Strahan

What I was getting at was do any functions on the remote work, or is it totally non responsive? What model is it?
Old 2024-04-02, 14:52   Link #5
Engels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
What I was getting at was do any functions on the remote work, or is it totally non responsive? What model is it?

Sorry. Ok, sometimes any/all buttons function, and then out of nowhere they stop working. It's almost like it's a sort of a contact problem between the player and the remote.
Old 2024-04-06, 17:32   Link #6
Strahan

Hmm. Strange. It's unlikely to be a remote issue since you already tried a new remote, but as cellphone cameras can see IR you can test if it's broadcasting. Next time the remote isn't working try turning your phone's camera on then point the remote at it and see if you can see the emitter lighting up when you press the button. If it is, then you may want to check and see if LG has a firmware update for the player. Well, actually you should do that either way.

I assume you don't have warranty on it as you're going to forums for help. Several years ago I was in a similar situation with a TV that started having issues. I was, unfortunately, several months out of warranty on it. However, it was still sold in stores. So I bought another one and used that one's purchase to get warranty repairs on the older broken one. I then just put the extra TV in the office to play videos as I worked. If one doesn't have moral qualms, once the original is working again you could always return the new for a refund if you don't need two.
Old 2024-04-24, 20:51   Link #7
Engels

Amazingly, I actually managed to fix it! Or, rather, I paid someone to do it.

I found by chance this place which fixes stuff like air-conditioners (!), but the guy said he could fix my Bluray player. And yes, it was indeed an issue with the player (something to do with signal receptance, as should be obvious).

It set me back 180 bucks. OK, a bit steep, but much better than buying a whole new piece for 1 grand online (here in Brazil, physical stores don't even have Blurays for sale anymore -- be it players or movies/discs).

I have been watching anime (and other stuff too) like a maniac this week.

So, I am glad how this turned out! I still have one extra remote, but I don't really care about losing those 70 bucks if my problem is 100% solved (like I suggested before...).

@Strahan, thanks for the input/suggestions, mate! You were the only one to reply...I ended up figuring out the issue by myself, but that doesn't diminish at all your kindness!

If there's anything I can do for you in return, please just say and I will see if I can help with it, or at least try, like you did for me!

Last edited by Engels; 2024-04-24 at 21:12. Reason: Typos...