AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-04-30, 02:59   Link #61
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Definitely the worst episode so far. I think someone really wanted to do a King Kong parody and made this story, but the biggest problem is that you spent two episodes to do this, and what we got was really just a couple of characters being hysterical for 20 minutes.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-30, 12:46   Link #62
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Can anyone identify the other two books in Akira's pack? I noticed that one starts with something like "goumonti" or "goumontei" (not sure what it means, except that those that remember last season's best feel-good series will know "goumon" means "torture") and ends I think with "Wednesday", and I think the other translates as "Black Magic Notebook" so it might be a kind of notebook.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-30, 15:56   Link #63
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I only know that she had "Justine" by Marquis de Sad, not sure about over ones.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-01, 01:28   Link #64
Alchemist007
*Author

The show isn't afraid to have characters die, like the victims of shrooming. Fat guy got off pretty light. At least the action sequence leading up to the King Kong scene was neat.
Old 2024-05-03, 04:59   Link #65
EroKing

Images
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-05-06, 08:37   Link #66
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I suppose it would be weird if there weren't zombies. I'm sort of curious how this actually ends in one cour; Ikebukuro seems a long way off when every major stop takes two episodes.
Old 2024-05-06, 18:10   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

No wonder Shizuru is so desperate to find Yoka, she said some absolute horrible things to her. I think her "give up on your dreams" rant was most likely rooted in fear she and Yoka would have to part ways if she managed to achieve her goal. She wanted her to stay with her in Agano.

I felt the way the girls acted in this episode felt off. The only one who acted normally was Akira, the others were huge cunts almost the whole ep. Just look at their reaction when Akira expressed concerns Pochi-san was sick/dying. I even thought there was going to be a 7G explanation for it, but nope.
Old 2024-05-06, 20:43   Link #68
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Shizuru overreacted about that argument they had and now she surrounded by zombies
Old 2024-05-06, 22:13   Link #69
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
No wonder Shizuru is so desperate to find Yoka, she said some absolute horrible things to her. I think her "give up on your dreams" rant was most likely rooted in fear she and Yoka would have to part ways if she managed to achieve her goal. She wanted her to stay with her in Agano.
Yeah, that seems like the most obvious and likely basis. Shizuru sees herself as an "average country girl". Grades aren't good enough to get her into a big college, and dreams aren't big enough to justify it. At least in her mind, she never really felt a need to leave, and probably doesn't feel like she'd be able to if she wanted to, not to mention suffering from a major fear of the unknown. For someone who doesn't plan to leave, doesn't think she can leave, and is afraid to leave, a precious friend cheerfully talking about dreams that would clearly mean leaving for years and years and probably never coming back except on steadily decreasing vacations is essentially talking about how wonderful her life will be when she leaves her behind.

On top of that, she might feel kind of embarrassed. I don't think there's anything wrong with being happy with where you are and desiring a quiet life. The world needs people leading these "simple" lives for "normal" people or it won't work, and being happy with such a life is far from a bad thing. That said, to a kid, it can easily feel shameful, like you're somehow worth less if you're not dreaming big enough. Whether she's afraid to leave, feels like she can't, or legitimately just wants to stay where she is, it probably feels dumb and small, something she has to excuse with BS reasoning about why there's no point aiming for anything else.

End result, when Yoka starts going on about huge dreams that are near impossibly big, and regardless of success or failure will basically end what they have in three years at most, she has all too many reasons to desperately want to convince her to give up. Her arguments are probably all the things she'd been telling herself to justify her lack of dreams, but both her pride and her love demand that she convince Yoka to agree and abandon her dreams too.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-07, 01:53   Link #70
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ugh, I wanted to skip the first half so badly that I forced myself to watch the first half but got such a bad taste in my mouth I ended up fast-forwarding through the 2nd half instead.

Come on man, I'm here to watch the girls explore crazy worlds, not the protagonist turning out to be a psychopath and then the girls reaching their period and snapping at each other and also not fully blaming the protagonist for her psycho talk with the poor girl, which deserved an extra eyeroll. Characters acting stupid was done and excused in the mushroom arc. All of them suddenly turning into "deep" and "dark" was really just off for me.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2024-05-07, 05:23   Link #71
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 6:

as a hook for people to watch the next episode. There is a cute zombie queen who eat corned beef. But no, I had enough of this... the toxicity in the conversations among the girls is just increasing, and now too much to bear.

Dropped. Final mal score. 2 out of 10. Should have been 1, but their doggo is adorable.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-07, 16:48   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Holy crap...Shizuru sucks! I legitimately don't care if there was some subconscious motive in a fear of Yoko and Shizuru going in separate directions if Yoko chased her dreams. That was one of the biggest jerk friend moments I've seen in a while. She didn't just put down Yoko's dreams she; spat on them, lit them on fire, and threw a grenade on them to make sure they were dead!

What the heck was this episode?

Also I think the show is actually in favor of staying in an abusive relationship which is...an interesting stance to take . Minus the guy who caused this world shifting disaster and was lobotomizing people Shizuru is easily the biggest villain of this story. Which is impressive considering the mushroom people and all the hostile things they've come across so far! I'm starting to think that jerk in the tiny people town was actually a fitting match for Shizuru!

It's also really impressive that Shizuru hasn't even processed herself as being 100% in the wrong. And her friends try to smooth things out with it being the fault of both sides. Which...it absolutely wasn't.
Old 2024-05-07, 18:08   Link #73
Dark Wing

Think people need to realize in a situation like this tempers are going to flare and friends are going to bump heads. Is she in the right? No but she only a teenager and pron making mistakes like this. Hopefully she will reflect on them and eventually rectify them. This could be the whole point of her breaking off so she can have this character arc.
Old 2024-05-07, 19:18   Link #74
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

While Shizuru messed up, I'm not nearly so down on her for what she said to Yoka. It wasn't nice, but why it wasn't nice is very important. Shizuru's line of thinking has been present across the episodes. In episode 3, she expressed that she was fine failing at school because studying was hard. She told Yoka that she too would like to be smart, but immediately backed away from that notion when Yoka told her it would take studying and hard work.

We saw a little of their nighttime conversation in episode 1, and now that we've seen the rest, it's clearly a continuation of Shizuru's doubts about herself and her ability to commit to studying and hard work. She sees herself as just a regular girl living in a small town at the very end of a train line. Sure, she's saying normal is all herself and Yoka will ever be... but she isn't really talking about Yoko. In truth, Shizuru is amazed by how smart Yoko is. How big her dreams are. Shizuru just got so caught up in being down on herself that she included Yoka in her statements by the end. That she still clings to what she told Yoka has nothing to do with Yoka's dreams and everything to do with her still not believing in herself.

Maybe a life changing adventure on a certain doomsday train to the end of the world will finally get Shizuru to see the potential inside herself? She's good at martial arts. She makes a decent leader or at least someone willing to go forth and act. She learned to drive the train and taught that to others. She just needs to believe in herself and to apologize for pushing her problems onto Yoka. The real reason she set out in the first place is to make up with her friend, but I'm thinking and hoping she'll find a lot more along the way!
Old 2024-05-07, 21:59   Link #75
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Think people need to realize in a situation like this tempers are going to flare and friends are going to bump heads. Is she in the right? No but she only a teenager and pron making mistakes like this. Hopefully she will reflect on them and eventually rectify them. This could be the whole point of her breaking off so she can have this character arc.
Questionable if this actually qualifies as a "Oh, its a teenager thing", but the main problem stems from the fact it came out of nowhere and none of the audience are watching this anime for "teenager issues".
They spent multiple episodes in highly stressful situations that "teenagers" would have already turned on each other for or at least allowed for foreshadowing the toxicity, but the moment they finished a story arc, the writer decides that it's time for them to suddenly drama over each other

On top of that, the story didn't need to make them this extreme. I've watched so much anime that I brush off most anime drama as seen and done, and even then, listening to the first half of the episode actually was painful. I've experienced deadly boring painful, but disgusting painful is really rare.

Old 2024-05-07, 22:01   Link #76
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Holy crap...Shizuru sucks! I legitimately don't care if there was some subconscious motive in a fear of Yoko and Shizuru going in separate directions if Yoko chased her dreams. That was one of the biggest jerk friend moments I've seen in a while. She didn't just put down Yoko's dreams she; spat on them, lit them on fire, and threw a grenade on them to make sure they were dead!
All true. But not remarkable. Anyone who has had any kind of big dream, be it artistic, musical, scientific, literary... whatever... has been on the receiving end of that kind of talk. If you think it's bad coming from a trusted friend, imagine what it's like coming from a parent or some other family member. In my case, I got it from my mom. It wasn't mean or hostile or anything, just a mom worrying that her oldest child is going to be okay... but it didn't really get 100% resolved until just a couple of years before she passed.

And I'm speaking as an American. I can only imagine how much more common it is in a society where one of the proverbs is "The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down."
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-07, 22:06   Link #77
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
If you think it's bad coming from a trusted friend, imagine what it's like coming from a parent or some other family member.
Pretty sure it coming from an intimate family member is a lot more understandable than if a friend said it, which they don't

Old 2024-05-08, 16:42   Link #78
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Questionable if this actually qualifies as a "Oh, its a teenager thing", but the main problem stems from the fact it came out of nowhere and none of the audience are watching this anime for "teenager issues".
They spent multiple episodes in highly stressful situations that "teenagers" would have already turned on each other for or at least allowed for foreshadowing the toxicity, but the moment they finished a story arc, the writer decides that it's time for them to suddenly drama over each other

On top of that, the story didn't need to make them this extreme. I've watched so much anime that I brush off most anime drama as seen and done, and even then, listening to the first half of the episode actually was painful. I've experienced deadly boring painful, but disgusting painful is really rare.
They have been at each other's throats from the start, so I don't know what you're talking about. And while the particular issue between Yoka and Shizuru wasn't obvious, it was clear there was one. I wouldn't even call it completely unforeshadowed either.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-09, 00:17   Link #79
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They have been at each other's throats from the start, so I don't know what you're talking about. And while the particular issue between Yoka and Shizuru wasn't obvious, it was clear there was one. I wouldn't even call it completely unforeshadowed either.
Nah, I don't see that. If you are referring to the occasional intentionally comedic scenes where they shout at each other, that doesn't lead up to this episode

Old 2024-05-12, 08:03   Link #80
Dr. Casey

Weird, I don't think the latest episode was bad at all. I agree that the tension among the group spiked too abruptly, but I don't think anything was over-the-top about it in and of itself. If anything I thought the group handled themselves pretty maturely, with things like Reimi immediately apologizing to Nadeshiko or the group motivating themselves at the end to help Yoka and Shizuru make up. They handled themselves better than characters in many other anime do, like pretty much every sports anime ever made, despite actually being in a stressful enough situation that their falling apart somewhat is justified (being tired and far from home vs. whatever drama sports anime characters invent in their head).

But yeah, Shizuru was horrible to Yoka. Not exactly therapist material. Yoka should probably not confide anything personal in her again anytime soon. Though honestly, I can sympathize with her if she was just scared of Yoka leaving. In that case she might have seen Yoka's aspirations as a betrayal and thus thought she deserved to be shit on. Not that it would make Yoka at all deserving obviously and Shizuru would still need to apologize, but I would find that much more understandable than Shizuru just having an EQ of zero and being a bitch just because.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2024-05-12 at 08:24.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote