AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2023-01-19, 22:10   Link #1921
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

People on Steam seem to be complaining/negative reviewing over low quality battle audio in P3P. I don't know what they're referring to. Also something about not being able to walk about during the day. I guess they wanted perceived control. Either way, you still get to interact with who/what you would have anyway.

My main issues so far have been:

1. The game kept cancelling my attempts to change audio from English to Japanese. It took over half an hour to stop doing that.
2. When entering my name, key commands stopped working, lost nearly 10 minutes getting it to work.

I'm getting the impression the very abrupt nature of the opening days is intentional and meant to come off as cold/business-like intentionally. Which I can appreciate, but it's definitely hindering feeling immersed in the game's world. Also, Junpei is...an utter loon. I sincerely hope there is something to him.

I'm also going to give this some concessions as P3 was probably where they started to get the formula right then refined it big time in 4. Hopefully now that I finally get to do something (am at the day where you finally don't get forced home immediately after school), things will pick up.
Old 2023-01-20, 09:55   Link #1922
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I'm getting the impression the very abrupt nature of the opening days is intentional and meant to come off as cold/business-like intentionally. Which I can appreciate, but it's definitely hindering feeling immersed in the game's world. Also, Junpei is...an utter loon. I sincerely hope there is something to him.

I'm also going to give this some concessions as P3 was probably where they started to get the formula right then refined it big time in 4. Hopefully now that I finally get to do something (am at the day where you finally don't get forced home immediately after school), things will pick up.
If there's one thing about P3, imho, is that the pacing is really not particularly outstanding. The early game seems to be devoid of major events for long stretches and it almost feels like the story takes forever to really get going. When it does, it becomes really good but it does take a long while to get there. P4 improved on that by leaps and bounds. P3 is also a lot less lenient on the time management front than the following games. It takes real effort from the start of the game to be able to get all the social links done for example.

As for Junpei, I haven't done the FeMC route to completion yet (I own the PSP version) but I've heard he is particularly insufferable on that one compared to the male MC's. He's also kind of annoying in the original P3 but it comes out more like the stereotypical anime sidekick character. He does get some proper character development latter in the game though. Not sure it 100% redeems him, but he does get his humbling moments.

And not being able to walk around might sound like a minor thing but it was the reason why I never really clicked with P3P. I know it makes no practical difference since you still have everything available but, somehow, it feels like that slight decrease in agency reduced my immersion enough for me to drop the game. The pacing doesn't help either.

Anyway, there are (credible) rumors around that they are remaking the game. Hopefully they can fix those issues when that one comes out.
Old 2023-01-20, 10:55   Link #1923
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Anyway, there are (credible) rumors around that they are remaking the game. Hopefully they can fix those issues when that one comes out.
I've seen those rumors and I'm really hoping its true but I guess we'll see. If nothing else its nice that we now have canon names for MC and FeMC.

P4 was probably superior in pacing but IMO it was inferior in characters, story, and maybe even social links. Its kind of apples to oranges though, P4 is about hanging out with your buds and solving mysteries at the Costco food court while in P3 you're recruited by SEES to take on the dark hour by mimicking suicide with your evoker. Its going to stay pretty edgy the entire way.
Quote:
Also, Junpei is...an utter loon. I sincerely hope there is something to him.
Going to save this quote for when you get to Junpei's character arc. Actually Junpei is still best bro in the franchise to me; I couldn't really stand Yousuke and Ryuji was just kind of okay. I still have Junpei's cap that came as a preorder bonus from the original PSP release of P3P.

I don't remember Junpei being much different in Kotone's route though he's not a potential love interest for obvious reasons. I think you could get a scene with him in the love hotel though.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-20, 11:01   Link #1924
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

TIL I learned that in P3 FES there is a bug where you could skip the final boss fights if you initiate the Devil Arcana SLink on that day the the mall lolol.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-20, 11:16   Link #1925
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Talking about bros, I think Ryuji has one of the most underserved beats up I've ever seen. He is punched by nearly eveybody for surviving to certain scene. Even a leaked content show that Morgana was trying to stop the cast.

The one that is kinda hard to defend is Yosuke. While the homophic comments he makes might make sense his attitude to girls is weird. As soon as the first battle ended, Yosuke learns that his crush hated him. This doesn't seem to make a major impact on his personality as he continues having kind of an attraction to every girl. I think he doesn't even seem that angry when learning the culprit's identity. Even more, they instead use him as comic relief. There are parallels to Junpei X Chidori but the execution is way different. Then again, I think the anime changed a bit Yosuke's characterization for the sake of Narukami's.

Probably one that I don't understand is Marie. It makes sense that she is one of the earliest bonds Narukami makes but soon everybody in the entire cast acts as if they all see the girl in the Velvet Room or something. Maybe I remember more the Golden anime than the actual Golden game scenes involving Marie.
Old 2023-01-20, 12:03   Link #1926
grecefar

they didn't add the animated scenes from the original persona 3 right?
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-20, 14:50   Link #1927
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
If you're playing on Steam (maybe PC GamePass too) the modders will add it in soon I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Even more, they instead use him as comic relief.
I remember back in P4 vanilla days people wondered if there would be a feMC route for the eventual P4P but both Yosuke and Kuma were a little bit overboard with the comic relief for that to ever really work.
Old 2023-01-20, 19:43   Link #1928
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
That's something they could easily have added in, but nope. The opening scene is so amazing too.

P3 would definitely benefit the most from a remake. I feel bad for the people discovering Persona 3 with P3P, it's inferior to FES on almost every possible level. The only good change they made was allowing you to control the other characters during battle. I'm sure everyone remembers how laughably bad the AI was in the original. You could basically only count on the MC. The AI for subsequent games apparently improved a lot but I'm so traumatized by P3 that I'm always putting all characters on manual control.

Before people go "but the FeMC", I couldn't care less about her and I'm happy they never renewed the experience with P4 and P5. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to Persona having a female MC, I just thinks she adds absolutely nothing and was created as a cash-grab.

I'd actually like P6 to have a female MC. Even better if they allow her to be a lesbian or bi. Wouldn't be a problem either way since romance is entirely optional in Persona (that said, I of course cheated on every single girl).
Old 2023-01-20, 20:53   Link #1929
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Indeed, some things are feeling abrupt with characters and that the story will get to something big, but is weak early.

But...they're not my biggest gripes now. Mine are:

1. Combat XP feels absurdly bad. Then the big minion group every 5 floors feels out of sync and more like a stat check rather than an interesting encounter. I get they want everyone to fight by themselves rather than as a group but...that feels awkward and non-immersive.
2. Locations/places for getting Links started or for upping stats really aren't indicated well. I would be lost as heck without looking things up. A guide feels utterly mandatory compared to 4, where some things definitely needed it but not all.
3. The game seems to focus on starting Links with utterly random/'who the hell is this person' people rather than key people.

Again, I get this is the one where they started to figure things out, so I'm giving it some concessions.
Old 2023-01-20, 22:00   Link #1930
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Considering the big leaps that P4 made over P3, things that your could argue P5 perfected, P3 is naturally going to be clunky. P3 is still one of my favorite RPGs of all time regardless, a game that helped reignite my floundering love of JRPGs.
Old 2023-01-21, 18:06   Link #1931
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Again, I get this is the one where they started to figure things out, so I'm giving it some concessions.
For the first two points, you shouldn't. P3P came out a year after P4, they have no excuse.
Old 2023-01-23, 08:01   Link #1932
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I got a bit of juice to play tonight. I got a few days further - the amount of precision according to the guides I'm looking at is...just brutal. Do stats get retained in a New Game+ style or was that not introduced until 4? Also finding the yen requirements a bit painful as the guides say to keep spamming the game arcade at night since it offers the best stat ups. Links have emerged in significant numbers so it's beginning to feel immersive, but from what I gather, the main crew unlocks way later. Interesting choice - I suppose that's supposed to reflect a business-like approach the group initially has that gradually warms.
Old 2023-01-23, 08:15   Link #1933
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I got a bit of juice to play tonight. I got a few days further - the amount of precision according to the guides I'm looking at is...just brutal. Do stats get retained in a New Game+ style or was that not introduced until 4? Also finding the yen requirements a bit painful as the guides say to keep spamming the game arcade at night since it offers the best stat ups. Links have emerged in significant numbers so it's beginning to feel immersive, but from what I gather, the main crew unlocks way later. Interesting choice - I suppose that's supposed to reflect a business-like approach the group initially has that gradually warms.
NG+ carries over social stats, cash, compendium and other stuff I forget.

P3 is really time restricted and most people will never max out SLinks on the first run. P4 and P5 and MUCH more forgiving on attempting to max them out on the first run.
Old 2023-01-23, 10:49   Link #1934
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

How many new social links do FES and Portable have? I only played vanilla
Old 2023-01-23, 11:34   Link #1935
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
How many new social links do FES and Portable have? I only played vanilla
From what I remember FES (Director's Cut) only added Aigis (Aeon) social link and dog walking scenes with Koromaru; most of the new content was in The Answer. Oh and the video of the gang in the control room. I think there's only minor tweaks to Makoto route in P3P but Kotone route has tons of changes with the ability to romance the boys (not Junpei obviously) and maybe prevent a death.
Old 2023-01-23, 17:50   Link #1936
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
NG+ carries over social stats, cash, compendium and other stuff I forget.

P3 is really time restricted and most people will never max out SLinks on the first run. P4 and P5 and MUCH more forgiving on attempting to max them out on the first run.
Very much this. Just an FYI, there are 3 SEES social links that required maxed out stats to even start them. One for each stat if I remember correctly. P3 was really brutal with that. Very hard to see everything in one run.
Old 2023-01-23, 20:22   Link #1937
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Very much this. Just an FYI, there are 3 SEES social links that required maxed out stats to even start them. One for each stat if I remember correctly. P3 was really brutal with that. Very hard to see everything in one run.
That explains everything...I did max out stats in P4G run 1 then maxed links 2nd run. But seems even more extreme in P3P. Only just got off of base stats in early May.
Old 2023-01-24, 06:50   Link #1938
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

About Persona 3, I remember replaying vanilla once but there was little to nothing do during at night in the city. I only remember the dude from the bar who was kinda drunk. It seems they realized they should add more content to 5 considering in 4 you can only talk to the Dojima family or create objects to improve stats.
Old 2023-01-24, 08:47   Link #1939
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
About Persona 3, I remember replaying vanilla once but there was little to nothing do during at night in the city.
Again, you can walk Koromaru at night from FES onward. Oh and Koromaru IS a S.Link (Strength) in Kotone route.
Old 2023-01-24, 09:18   Link #1940
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

So that's who Koromaru is...first Steam card I got for the game. Then both protags, Yukari, Akihiko and...grumbly raggedy guy. Guessing all the links are very different for FMC based on what I've heard.

Tonight was probably the first session I really got into P3P. Going on a 'date' with Elizabeth was my connecting moment. Miyuki Sawashiro really nailed the voice. The curious personality with a mix of adult vibes and youthful actions reminds me a fair bit of a female friend of mine. That was the first character that really leapt out to me.

Gameplay wise, 2nd session in Tartarus finally felt like it yielded results. Significant gear upgrades, able to have a Persona for all available Link types, cleared everything that needed to be done pre-full moon, have a decent stash of money. The XP is still terrible but at least it was fun and generating Personas within my current level limit didn't take long. (Taking it a Compendium does become available and saves progress for the next playthrough, right?) Thus far, dodging The Reaper hasn't been a problem. Mitsuru's warnings are pretty blatant. I guess the main thing I want is for things to pick up within the main cast, but as people pointed out, not until stat grinding is done.

Atlus have confirmed that on multiple platforms, particularly the Switch, there are sound issues that they are patching. Not sure if it's the quality, missing voices or both.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2023-01-24 at 09:49.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
persona 5, ps3, shin megami tensei