AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2014-12-16, 18:50   Link #1801
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
But this does not apply to English, which makes it really awkward to read.
More like may or may not, but I know what you mean. I also never knew that, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to take this into consideration in the future.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 21:17   Link #1802
TheGuraGuraMan

More screenshots for the english edition, working on the scenario chart after getting Baratomaya's translations :
Spoiler:
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 23:24   Link #1803
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Finally got it right, after many attempts might I add.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Oh wow, are you actually going to release a full translation patch of Hou's extra content? If so that's awesome (my copy is getting lonely after I played through Saikoroshi-hen )
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 05:33   Link #1804
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXtreme View Post
I had no idea there was a website for this.

http://whenwetranslate.livejournal.com
Yea, noticed it a few months ago myself. And, they or he has been at it for a while, take a look at when the started working with TGGM and when his re-translation began. Hmm, what was that, December 2012 you say. Anyway, it is one guy but I seriously doubt this will be finished in my lifetime. Also, I'm thinking about doing the NDS exclusive arc's for my next project, so just wondering, do you have to play through the games to unlock them? Probably, but if someone has a save game, then we're talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
More screenshots for the english edition, working on the scenario chart after getting Baratomaya's translations :
Spoiler:
Looks great, nice job guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Oh wow, are you actually going to release a full translation patch of Hou's extra content? If so that's awesome (my copy is getting lonely after I played through Saikoroshi-hen )
Hee hee hee hee hee hee, ha ha ha ha ha ha... guess when.
Old 2014-12-17, 08:43   Link #1805
baratomaya

Quote:
Yea, noticed it a few months ago myself. And, they or he has been at it for a while, take a look at when the started working with TGGM and when his re-translation began. Hmm, what was that, December 2012 you say. Anyway, it is one guy but I seriously doubt this will be finished in my lifetime.
I think it's pretty much a running joke now that I'm slow as hell when it comes to translating Higurashi.

All I can say is thanks to everyone who's being patient so far and that Watanagashi-hen is definitely on its way. I'd be able to get it done quicker, it's just I've got other responsibilities to juggle with, plus inserting voice files into the script is loooong.

I'll update soon and post some pics. All I can say is, I know it's taking long, but it'll be worth the wait one it's done.
baratomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 10:51   Link #1806
07th

Quote:
Eww, I never knew the original translation was that bad. They more or less just write whatever they wanted too rather than have it literal. And note in the new translation they left out Rena's name in the dodging jabs line, the new one's just gonna be as bad as the original. Sigh. They're making me look legit.
Hey, are ya serious?
Being too literal (i. e. trying "to preserve everything that was in the original word-by-word") is always a sign of a bad translator. I was like that at first too, and exactly one year later i looked back, was disgusted and re-translated the old work (Kakeras) — and it would still get a retranslation as soon as i get to the Japanese origins, if i ever will. The worst kind of translator translates literally, preserving much syntax, grammar and punctuation from the original language. Bad translator translates literally. Good translator translates the meaning, preserving the original style but adjusting it to his language rules. Great translator senses — and translates the true meaning in his language (and voice acting really helps in that), preserving the original style but adjusting it to his language rules and also adjusting to that time period's vocabulary.

Next, Japanese don't use pronouns such as "her" much. They prefer using names and they even use names to talk in 2nd person. Of course, you'd have to keep "Rena" when she calls herself that, but if Kei-chan mentions Rena, you either use her name or choose a pronoun if there's too much "Rena" and/or it's a piece o' cake to understand who's being talked about. And vice-versa — in some cases you may actually use "Rena" instead of her when there is "kanojo", but such cases are rare and serve only to not confuse the readers.

Next, even if there is "?" in Japanese, sometimes there has to be "!" or "." in other languages. And if there are quotation marks around something, sometimes there must be none, but that something must be highlighted some other way — via italic, caps or bold, like you'd do when you see text deliberately written in katakana. That's Ryukishi's Japanese for you.

The new translation is pretty good, however, i don't quite like Kei-chan's lines on the second screenshot, since i'm pretty sure he means that "them" should master the way to dodge the punch and „mo“, meaning "too", is missing.

TL;DR: Your way of judgement is really strange.

===

Quote:
Spoiler:
>> And a mysterious virus, will man escape in fear, or laugh at such a ridiculous event.
>> Is this the beginning of the end.

I think there are quite a few "?" missing. And the first line looks very weird and incoherent.
What are the original lines?
07th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 12:07   Link #1807
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07th View Post
Hey, are ya serious?
Being too literal (i. e. trying "to preserve everything that was in the original word-by-word") is always a sign of a bad translator.
Then I guess I'm the worst kind then, because that's exactly what I did throughout most of Hou. Not that I have a problem with how it reads, but I'm guessing most people will. Oops. But thanks for the info, I usually thought people just sub the names for her or he to make it flow better, not that you could choose either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07th View Post
>> And a mysterious virus, will man escape in fear, or laugh at such a ridiculous event.
>> Is this the beginning of the end.

I think there are quite a few "?" missing. And the first line looks very weird and incoherent.
What are the original lines?
Yea, it always seems a question mark would be needed, but there wasn't any in the JP so I never added any. You know way more than any of this than me, so can you add in a ? if it seems like a question?

圭一たちが挑む、新たなる惨劇の舞台です。
謎のウィルスと、それに恐怖して逃げる人間の様はなんと滑稽なのでしょうか。
難易度は、人並み。
終わりの始まりなのか。
それとももう、終わるのか。
それを見届けるのがあなたの仕事です。
Old 2014-12-17, 12:56   Link #1808
07th

Here's a good site for you:
http://maggiesensei.com/

のか usually means a question, but, uh, a special sort of question. My mind is kinda rusty now, so i'm not sure how to explain this in English, but it has more emphasis on the question. Here's an example:
これはゲームのか — Is this a game? [«...or is it reality?»]
これはゲームか — This is a game? [«You mean THIS is a game?»]

Something like that.

=======

Now, let's see...

Keiichi and others challenge the stage of a new tragedy. [Or: Keiichi and his friends...]
Mysterious virus — and humans, scared of it and running away. How comical [laughable] would they [it all] look? [That's how i would translate it.]

Just in case, if there is a typo and "you" really is an 用:
How comical [funny] would it be, the world of humans, scared of a mysterious virus and running away? [Or: The world of humans, scared of a mysterious virus and running away, how comical would it be?]

Difficulty: average.
Is this the beginning of an end?
Or is the end already there? [I think so. If there was "owatta", your translation would be undoubtedly correct. However, with "owaru", i'm not sure, as it can imply the end is nearby, though it usually would be used with もうすぐ. When in doubt, be vague, lol.]
It is your job to see it with your own eyes.
07th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 20:40   Link #1809
xPearse

Thanks for the info, and I'll check that site out. It should be helpful.
Old 2014-12-18, 17:27   Link #1810
xPearse

Well, Christmas has just come early. Here's my English translation of Hou. It's mostly complete, albeit only the main credit's listing (You'll see why), a few images with JP text in the background, and the games extra's which are mostly the staff room and back staff room are untranslated at this point, but everything else is so you shouldn't have a problem. And, I should have the rest done and complete sooner or later, maybe before or after the new years, although that depends. But, I know you want to stop reading so here's the download and how to play. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy my translation.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0410r1lb9y80wny

How to play
Dump both files into the games directory and overwrite when promoted.
Then use onscripter to play the translation with the default font off Uncle Mion, otherwise the game will crash. Simple.
Old 2014-12-18, 17:46   Link #1811
GrAVit

Quote:
Well, Christmas has just come early. Here's my English translation of Hou. It's mostly complete, albeit only the main credit's listing (You'll see why), a few images with JP text in the background, and the games extra's which are mostly the staff room and back staff room are untranslated at this point, but everything else is so you shouldn't have a problem. And, I should have the rest done and complete sooner or later, maybe before or after the new years, although that depends. But, I know you want to stop reading so here's the download and how to play. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy my translation.

How to play
Then use onscripter to play the translation with the default font off Uncle Mion, otherwise the game will crash. Simple.
Awesome, I've wanted to read Hou for a while now, so I might just take a look at it.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 20:24   Link #1812
Seronei

Quote:

How to play
Thank you very much!
Fantastic work. Noticed a few typos and you're/your errors do you want the grammar/typos reported anywhere?
Seronei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 23:09   Link #1813
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:

How to play
I dont have Hou yet but I'll keep it till when the day I do. Thank s for the hard work!
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 12:40   Link #1814
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronei View Post
Thank you very much!
Fantastic work. Noticed a few typos and you're/your errors do you want the grammar/typos reported anywhere?
Thanks guys, and your is kinda a UK/Northern Ireland thing, we tend to spell it that way, or at least over here they do. Anyhow, I actually forgot about that as I was meant to change every your to you're. I'll do that now though, and if you spot any typo's, please let me know. Just post them here or send them in a pm, whichever way suits you best.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/04...slation_0.9.7z

Also, I left some words untranslated such as nakama, bakemono, oji-san, kasan, onee, and a few others I recall. So, does anyone want me to translate them and put out a variation of the translation? As, I know some people may be bothered by it but it wouldn't take long for me to change them into English. Same for stuff like this.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2014-12-19, 13:58   Link #1815
einhorn303

Awesome! I can't thank you enough (especially since I'm at a library computer and they'd have to kick me off the keyboard eventually )

Yes, I agree that imitating the original Japanese too much can hamper a translation. It's more important to translate the meaning of something, which includes the tone, then the exact words. What sounds natural in Japanese should be translated to something sounding equally natural-sounding in English. And sometimes you have to take liberties with the letter of the word to preserve the spirit of it.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 16:51   Link #1816
st_nick5

Quote:
Thanks guys, and your is kinda a UK/Northern Ireland thing, we tend to spell it that way, or at least over here they do. Anyhow, I actually forgot about that as I was meant to change every your to you're. I'll do that now though, and if you spot any typo's, please let me know. Just post them here or send them in a pm, whichever way suits you best.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/04...slation_0.9.7z

Also, I left some words untranslated such as nakama, bakemono, oji-san, kasan, onee, and a few others I recall. So, does anyone want me to translate them and put out a variation of the translation? As, I know some people may be bothered by it but it wouldn't take long for me to change them into English. Same for stuff like this.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
There's absolutely no reason not to translate the examples that you gave. Personally seeing them not translated annoys me.

"Your" - Your bag, your house, etc.
"You're" - Short for "you are".

"You're house" - You are house.
Unless you are actually a house, then it should be "your".
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 18:02   Link #1817
LAMBDADELTO

fist a wanna say thank you very much for this job thank you!!!!
and then, i replaced the files on my higurashi hou vn and run the onscripter and this happend:

Did i did something wrong?
LAMBDADELTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 18:37   Link #1818
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
There's absolutely no reason not to translate the examples that you gave. Personally seeing them not translated annoys me.

"Your" - Your bag, your house, etc.
"You're" - Short for "you are".

"You're house" - You are house.
Unless you are actually a house, then it should be "your".
Well, there kinda is. Nakama being one of them, has a greater meaning (or so some think) than simply translating it to friends or buddies, and some people actually prefer some words left untranslated, like oi or fufufufu for example. So theres nothing wrong with anyone doing that, as it all comes down to preference, same with me having Oji-san instead of Uncle. Anyway, I'll start on translating those bunch of words tomorrow or the day after and upload it as a variation. Shouldn't take too long though.

Also, I just did a replace and find with the your to you're. So, if there's parts where it is that like in your example, then sorry about that. But just know, I won't be spending time going through the entire script again just to fix them. That would be a waste of time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBDADELTO View Post
fist a wanna say thank you very much for this job thank you!!!!
and then, i replaced the files on my higurashi hou vn and run the onscripter and this happend:

Did i did something wrong?
You actually just used the games exe rather than playing it through onscripter, just drop the onscripter exe into your Hou directory, click it (onscripter) and it'll load the game through it, and then it should display correctly. Probably one of the reasons why mangagamer had to port the games onto a different engine.
Old 2014-12-19, 19:08   Link #1819
st_nick5

My opinion is that when you're translating it, you should translate it so that someone with very little/no knowledge of the Japanese language understands it. The average English person isn't going to know what "nakama" and "bakemono" means. Sure, "fufufu", honorifics, etc. can often be figured out very quickly, but they're not going to understand words like "nakama" or "bakemono". Certainly not "omochikaeri". That's going to leave them clueless.

And if you just did a find and replace for "your" to "you're", then you're undoubtedly going to get incorrect usages of the word. In fact, both uses of "you're" in the image above are incorrect. Sure, you're not obligated to go through and make sure that they're all correct, but why wouldn't you, after you've spent however long translating the entire text? It's just a find and replace again. Search for all instances of "your", check each one is used correctly, then repeat for "you're".

Is English your first language, out of interest?

Last edited by st_nick5; 2014-12-19 at 19:28.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 20:03   Link #1820
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
My opinion is that when you're translating it, you should translate it so that someone with very little/no knowledge of the Japanese language understands it. The average English person isn't going to know what "nakama" and "bakemono" means. Sure, "fufufu", honorifics, etc. can often be figured out very quickly, but they're not going to understand words like "nakama" or "bakemono". Certainly not "omochikaeri". That's going to leave them clueless.

And if you just did a find and replace for "your" to "you're", then you're undoubtedly going to get incorrect usages of the word. In fact, both uses of "you're" in the image above are incorrect. Sure, you're not obligated to go through and make sure that they're all correct, but why wouldn't you, after you've spent however long translating the entire text? It's just a find and replace again. Search for all instances of "your", check each one is used correctly, then repeat for "you're".

Is English your first language, out of interest?
Well, people should have at least some understanding of the culture and language of the country they're interested in, and not clueless. Even then, the Higurashi sounds novels are not so mainstream so anyone interested should already have some understanding, unless your first anime/manga was attack on titan that is. Anyway, how wouldn't everyone already know omochikaeri? It's "I want to take it home", nobody should be clueless. Rena's catchphrase, hello.

Anyway, English is my first language but we're practically illiterate over here. Just joking, but spelling and such is pretty bad, hence why your is used for you're. So that's the way I am, and thus see no need to re-go through it all again for something which doesn't affect me. Yea yea I know, I'm probably the only one so I should fix it up for Americaninski standards.