Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-12-19, 10:09   Link #161
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
I think these kind of stories are inspired by events in the author's life. We can't get a lawyer and subtle point of view because the story is literally being told from ones perspective and they probably still hold a grudge. Or maybe they're just kind of narcissistic. Think of the King Killer Chronicles
That kinda makes sense since they all kinda seem like middle/high school bully archetypes. I wasn't expecting that in a fantasy setting though.

In general I'm just here for the monster girl Pokemon. My introduction to "banishment" stories was probably the Slow Living with Princess anime where Ares and the rest of the hero party seemed a lot more nuanced... though some people still raged against that one because Ruti and Red didn't even try to be heroic or whatever. I'm not sure of any others that have been animated off the top of my head.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-19, 10:51   Link #162
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, they are quite accurate to how those bullies are, they aren't that much older much of the time, and frankly, despite what a lot of writers try to convince us, a lot of those bullies are indeed just as narcissistic and remorseless. Honestly, I prefer this a bit to the nonsense I often see that insists bullies are all victims of abuse and other mistreatment. Sure some are, but a whole lot, maybe even the majority, just love being the "best". And yeah, this is a fair rendition of those types, prone to think first and foremost of how awesome I am, to see others in terms of how they please me or support my success, and very bad at handling any kind of blow to the ego.

And yeah, a lot of this is probably a bit of bandwagoning. Either the authors think "hey, that Banished story where the guy set up a drug store did great, maybe I can do that too!" or they find that it fits well with things they already wanted to write and so half made a twist to it, half twisted it to fit their own plot. Like with isekai, underestimated misfit badass in school, underestimated MALE badass in FEMALE school, and so many other setups that have spawned shall we say "variants", some are good, some are bad, and a lot are in between and just entertaining.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-19, 12:39   Link #163
Greenish Growth

I don't remember any other banishment stories that have been adapted into anime and aired either, but if you're a manga reader you've probably seen banishment stories everywhere. I expect the banishment stories that will be adapted into anime will be more "nuanced" than the typical web novel. Most banishment web novels have antagonists that never admit that they did anything wrong even at the point of death. They continue to insist the main character was defective and it's all the main character's fault that they are suffering. If it's a male character party leader that kicked out the main character, he will probably always insist that he is superior to the main character and/or is blessed to be the the Hero.

At least in this story, the antagonists actually realize they misjudged SOMETHING. That in itself is better than your average banishment web novel.

Banishment web novels are very popular and I try to read them from time to time, but usually stop quickly because they are too similar to what I've seen before. I also often stop because they are too frustrating and shallow for me because of the extremely irritatingly stupid antagonists setup to be cardboard villains. The female heroines are likable to me in Beast Tamer and the antagonists are not as bad so I can deal with this one.

But let's see how viewers react to banishment stories after they've seen more of them. I'm curious to see it. Even seeing the better ones adapted into anime, what will they think after seeing say...ten of them?
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-19, 15:57   Link #164
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, that is pretty typical of a narcissist, which again many bullies are. You get a serious narcissist, especially one who is accustomed to an environment that deems it completely natural to feed that narcissism, and chances are it'll be an incredibly difficult task to accept that they might have been wrong. To their dying breath they'll still believe that something went wrong, that this person can't really be superior, and will continue to try and fix the "situation".

I haven't read any web novels though. All the expulsion stories I've read make it so that at least a good portion of the "Hero's" party realize that the main character is actually powerful and that the "Hero" is not near as strong as he thinks. You may have one who sticks to him because he must be right, he's the Hero, or who is arrogant enough to agree, but more tend to realize more and more that their so-called Hero is behaving in a way that none could ever call "heroic".

I'm hoping for more variation though. Maybe stories that go long enough for the Hero's party members to actually abandon him and maybe even seek the main character out once more, or stories where there are deeper reasons for the expulsion than stuff like "supporters don't do enough damage so you're out". For instance, I'm reading one where the MC became a bit unhinged after his home village was attacked; he started trying to protect anything and everything until it was clear he'd die in no time, so the "Hero" cursed him in a way that not only weakened him but ensured that continued adventuring would be fatal, intending to force him into retirement. I'm also reading a few in which at least one of the party members has become severely disillusioned and depressed over their mistreatment of someone who was the source of much of their strength.
Old 2022-12-22, 17:04   Link #165
Alchemist007
*Author

This has been pretty par for the course as far as what I expected, harem magnet MC and an edgeworth "hero."

I suppose I'm just on the lookout for more complex characters and stories, schlock has its place for a turn-your-brain-off kind of watch but I always welcome the former.
Old 2022-12-24, 11:34   Link #166
Frontier

Rein finally contracts with Nina! And the girls are so excited to have a cute and adorable little sister in the Harem, just as Nina finds a new and warm family! We never find out what power Rein got from contracting with Nina though .

I'll miss Aileen...I mean, Stella, who has nothing but praise for Rein and his companions for their help in cleaning up and saving Horizon, and the guild feels the same, bumping Rein and his party up to C-Rank status .

Not even Natalie can resist Nina's cuteness! And she's also a surprisingly effective real estate agent! Because the guild likes to keep their members local !

The moment they talked about the ghost, I had a feeling it was going to be a girl that Rein would end up contracting with and becoming part of the group, which I guess is what happened. But Natalie staying behind for an "escape route" and Kanade's terror giving her the ability to attack ghosts was a pretty fun twist on things .

Of course Rein just casually learned how to tame ghosts because of course he did .

Tina Holy! For a maid who was murdered by the previous occupant of that mansion, she's surprisingly cheery and upbeat! And pretty busty and cute at that! And is that a Kansai accent I here? She definitely feels like a fun addition to the cast, even if she's only introduced in the last episode .

Horizon has finally turned on Arios and his party like the cowards and wimps they are! And it just gives Arios more reason to hate Rein and want him dead. I'm sure that'll end well for him and the rest .

So we've got Runa as the better cook than Sora, and she's happy to keep it that way, and Nina seems a tad envious of Kanade's chest .

It's nice to see that both Rein and Nina have finally found a warm and happy home together with the girls after they lost so much. It's enough to bring tears to Rein's eyes as he remembers his family, but now he has Kanade and the girls to keep him company and be there for him! This Beast Tamer's life really did improve a lot after getting kicked out of the Hero's Party and meeting a cat girl (as in the full JP title) !

And...in true LN adaption fashion, this is just the prologue of the story! But it was a very fun and cute prologue !
Old 2022-12-24, 12:45   Link #167
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Pretty much what you'd expect from a story like this, but can't say it wasn't a fun ride or that it didn't leave me wanting more. I really wish the LN was licensed and translated for us. I don't care if aspects are a little predictable (like, the moment ghosts were mentioned I knew it'd be a woman ghost and that she'd be the next target (just a matter of time before she offers a contract too I'm sure).

I honestly don't find Arios to be all that unbelievable, but it does strike me a little that not one of the others is considering leaving him. I'd think at the very least that the priestess would go to the church with questions or doubts, since at the least she is clearly shown to have to remind herself "he's the 'Hero', his will is the Gods' will!" very frequently. It does make for an interesting twist in a way: a fair number of the expulsion series I've seen have at least some uncertainty or questioning from one or two party members, though they never leave. Having the uncertain member be someone bound by their religion's teachings and orders from their God makes a bit more sense there.
Old 2022-12-24, 13:23   Link #168
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Pretty much what you'd expect from a story like this, but can't say it wasn't a fun ride or that it didn't leave me wanting more. I really wish the LN was licensed and translated for us. I don't care if aspects are a little predictable (like, the moment ghosts were mentioned I knew it'd be a woman ghost and that she'd be the next target (just a matter of time before she offers a contract too I'm sure).

I honestly don't find Arios to be all that unbelievable, but it does strike me a little that not one of the others is considering leaving him. I'd think at the very least that the priestess would go to the church with questions or doubts, since at the least she is clearly shown to have to remind herself "he's the 'Hero', his will is the Gods' will!" very frequently. It does make for an interesting twist in a way: a fair number of the expulsion series I've seen have at least some uncertainty or questioning from one or two party members, though they never leave. Having the uncertain member be someone bound by their religion's teachings and orders from their God makes a bit more sense there.
I assume it's all downhill from here for the Hero's Party.
Old 2022-12-24, 14:13   Link #169
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I wasn't expecting a bonus ghost waifu. Nothing special but a decently entertaining series; I came for the monster girls and I'm more or less satisfied in that regard.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 21:51   Link #170
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
Same. Enjoyed immensely. Each girl had a unique personality enough you just wanted to watch them interact with each other and the world. Am I getting old? Little mischievous fairy grew on me quickly and became my fave. Love character with quirky sentence endings. Desu, dattebayo, de gozaru etc. Now we add nanoda which I'm guessing is like her finishing her sentences with ,"...or whatever"

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-24, 22:47   Link #171
Frontier

Rein really ended the show with a strong core team of Ultimate Species (and one Ghost):

Kanade - Fighting

Tania - Fire/Flying

Sora/Runa - Fairy/Flying

Nina - Psychic?

Tina - Ghost
Old 2022-12-25, 10:55   Link #172
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
Same. Enjoyed immensely. Each girl had a unique personality enough you just wanted to watch them interact with each other and the world. Am I getting old? Little mischievous fairy grew on me quickly and became my fave. Love character with quirky sentence endings. Desu, dattebayo, de gozaru etc. Now we add nanoda which I'm guessing is like her finishing her sentences with ,"...or whatever"
Nanoda is more like a childish version of “desu”. See it a lot in little girls. I remember Neneko from Yumeria talking like that.
Old 2022-12-27, 16:55   Link #173
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
It does make for an interesting twist in a way: a fair number of the expulsion series I've seen have at least some uncertainty or questioning from one or two party members, though they never leave.
Yea, that's fairly prevalent but not never; Shin no Nakama's Yarandrala noped out after Ares drove out Red.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-27, 17:44   Link #174
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Yea, that's fairly prevalent but not never; Shin no Nakama's Yarandrala noped out after Ares drove out Red.
After a solid right hook .
Old 2022-12-29, 15:54   Link #175
Lex79

Nice ending, with the surprise addition of a ghost girl to the harem. As I often say, this series isn't going to win any award but was fun to watch. I'm curious to see how the story continues, although I don't know if I'll ever be able to.
Old 2023-01-01, 17:58   Link #176
Alchemist007
*Author

Show did the moe fluff parts right, the combat and antagonist were just kind of there for the genre beat.

7/10