3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-04, 13:42   Link #161
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
It's been like a decade since I watched Macross but didn't that live triangle develop the same way?
Not at all.
Spoiler for SDFM ramblings:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-04 at 14:00.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 15:03   Link #162
Father Hentai

With 10 episodes more to produce you have more chance go into more detail. How about if delta had the option to air 36 episodes, maybe the triangle would have more chance to be more detailed?
Old 2016-08-04, 15:17   Link #163
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
With 10 episodes more to produce you have more chance go into more detail. How about if delta had the option to air 36 episodes, maybe the triangle would have more chance to be more detailed?
SDFM went to 36 episodes and more thoroughly nailed down the love triangle as a result, but there was already a decent outcome during Episode 27. The extra nine episodes had a lot of padding and required Hikaru to turn into a blithering idiot to stretch things out.

Still, there were some good spots there such as the Misa/Claudia bonding episode, so I wouldn't can all of them. Maybe SDFM could be trimmed to 32 episodes and work out—though much of that is to include things such as the aforementioned Misa and Claudia, as well as the Max and Milia baby episode, but not the extended Minmay/Hikaru/Misa antics, or at least less of it.

Ten more episodes of Delta would more than make up for the time lost to showing concerts in many of the episodes, and yes, it probably would help with the character arcs. But Delta is more of worldbuilding show than a character drama; I'd have been equally as happy if extra episodes went to explaining all the things that people mention appearing in the external tie-in media.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 15:21   Link #164
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Doubt it because Kawamori called it a "faint love triangle" since the beginning. The show is hardly supposed to be about a love triangle. No matter how many episodes would original Macross have, the fundamental problem with Minmay/Hikaru relationship (aside that she was never in love with him ) was that they never really understood each other. It actually ended in episode 27, when Hikaru realized they couldn't be together (and Minmay realizes Hikaru likes her romantically ouch - They just extended it, but that was meant to be the ending). Same problem with Ranka and Alto, actually, they couldn't understand each other (they needed Sheryl to communicate in the end).

I'm not really bringing up Macross Delta, but I'm pointing out how was in those triangles as contrast (Macross Zero is hard to bring up because Mao was a child ).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-04, 15:23   Link #165
Father Hentai

But again. It's 10 episodes more where more detail could have been given to the characters OR the plots.
Old 2016-08-04, 15:26   Link #166
Thess

You're still not understanding, SDFM Macross ended officially in episode 27. The rest was forced by the Network which made the characters act completely obnoxious, specially Hikaru, to get a soap opera ongoing. The official novelization ignores it. Formal ending to Macross is Minmay sings and the war ends. That's it. By episode 27, Misa, Minmay and Hikaru were fleshed out characters. They didn't need anything additional (it almost ruined them to me). The best scenes post war were with Max and Milia and other support cast, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Ten more episodes of Delta would more than make up for the time lost to showing concerts in many of the episodes, and yes, it probably would help with the character arcs. But Delta is more of worldbuilding show than a character drama; I'd have been equally as happy if extra episodes went to explaining all the things that people mention appearing in the external tie-in media.
I agree, what Delta needs is more episodes to flesh out the world building, not the triangle. Because every other Delta-related media shows more interesting stuff than the one that features in the anime. It's frankly disappointing.

Old 2016-08-04, 15:53   Link #167
Father Hentai

That's your opinion. Mine is still that it's 10 episode more where additional or wasted information has been added to SDF Macross. This 10 more episode can or cannot give delta the same option.
Old 2016-08-04, 16:58   Link #168
FlamingMangos

When will Hayate start dancing again? I liked how that made him unique as a pilot but now, he never ever dances anymore. Also, does anyone notice Hayate copying some of Freyja's phases such as giri giri?
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 17:24   Link #169
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingMangos View Post
When will Hayate start dancing again? I liked how that made him unique as a pilot but now, he never ever dances anymore. Also, does anyone notice Hayate copying some of Freyja's phases such as giri giri?
Wasn't it gori gori...
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 17:25   Link #170
Thess

Hayate stopped dancing after he made his first kill. He'll probably dance again after the war ends or to end the war.

Old 2016-08-04, 18:56   Link #171
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Might be good to bring back dancing Hayate if he has to make due without Freyja power-ups.

As for the time allotment question - I think 26 episodes is probably fine for Delta in most respects. Really, I think they've handled most of the cast reasonably well. I'm very happy with Hayate and Freyja, I'm pretty happy with Arad and Walkure's initial 4 members, I think Messer and Johnson have been handled well (Messer's arc was excellent), and even the Windermere side of things has been very solid in recent episodes. Chuck is kinda just there, but he's not a problem, he's Ok for what he is. Characterization-wise, Mirage is the only significant disappointment, in my view.

As for the show's plotting/storytelling, that has been consistently very good to excellent, in my view. It feels well-paced for a 2-core story, and major hints/reveals come at a sure and steady pace.
Old 2016-08-05, 11:23   Link #172
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Not at all.
Spoiler for SDFM ramblings:
Thanks, so many forgotten memories flooded back to me, I forgot the whole cousin angle, I need to watch Macross again because it has obviously been to long
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 11:30   Link #173
Thess

Quote:
Thanks, so many forgotten memories flooded back to me, I forgot the whole cousin angle, I need to watch Macross again because it has obviously been to long
I re-watch the original at least once a year. Some parts are embarrassing and didn't age well but others are timeless.

Old 2016-08-05, 11:55   Link #174
FlamingMangos

Previews for episode 19 seems to be out already.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 03:21   Link #175
Random14

Quote:
Just to mention, the entire Macross series (and even Southern Cross and Mospeada) is streaming on Amazon Prime now. Been watching through it again, and still love it. Unlike Delta, the triangle was actually noticeable.

It doesn't help that Hayate is on the dense side of the protagonist scale, but thankfully he's nowhere near as bad as some harem protagonists. With things getting closer to the climax, that means even more Mikumo and Freyja time, and even less possible screen time for Mirage.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote