AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-24, 09:04   Link #121
zerozeronine

I wonder if Honoka's light magic can counter/interfere with Maya's Night?
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 22:43   Link #122
millie10468

I know Tatsuya doesn't need a CAD for Material Burst but I don't understand what restricts him from making his own Third Eye and not have to be dependent on the military's. As it is currently, he can't use Third Eye without permission from the military, meaning he can't use long distance MB without permission. Would it ever be possible for him to create his own personal Third Eye or is there something specific or special about that prevents him from building at, say, FLT?

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 22:57   Link #123
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
I know Tatsuya doesn't need a CAD for Material Burst but I don't understand what restricts him from making his own Third Eye and not have to be dependent on the military's. As it is currently, he can't use Third Eye without permission from the military, meaning he can't use long distance MB without permission. Would it ever be possible for him to create his own personal Third Eye or is there something specific or special about that prevents him from building at, say, FLT?
As far as I know he's only good with the software not hardware. But he could get help from FLT but that might raise some flags?

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 23:17   Link #124
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
As far as I know he's only good with the software not hardware. But he could get help from FLT but that might raise some flags?
Like some National security threat flags?

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-28, 01:26   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Why would he even want to? Also, IIRC, Third Eye isn't just the CAD. It's the CAD + the military satellites, or what's the point?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-28, 01:31   Link #126
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
He's not only good with software. He is excellent at software and average with hardware.

For Third Eye I don't think he can build one alone. His weapons are constructed with Sanada, just like his mobile suit or their researches in 2092, what Tatsuya does is mostly build the plans etc. You probably need rare materials too and it consumes a lot of time.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 14:45   Link #127
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
You aren t reading with enough attention. What it says is that before the new cad magicians very skilled with non sistematic magic were able to select the activation sequence using their psions instead of their fingers (tats did it on the first or second vol). However most ppl don t have enough control over their psions and sometimes selects the wrong activation sequence. With the new cad everybody can select AS using psions. There isn t any boost on casting speed! The only diference with the new cad is how magicians select the AS, the casting process stays the same! Magicians even continue to use the same cads they used before!
That's wrong. Nobody could manipulate his CAD at distance here is the part

Spoiler for Quote:

The CAD is here as the mean to activate the magic. Remember it's better to use a CAD for magic than not using one for the 4 GS. That's the pillar of Modern Magic.

Quote:
So the process is: think, select, normal casting method( send psions into the cad, expand the AS, AS is read by the MCA and then magic sequence or something like this)
How can "think" and "elect" be different processes? The magician thinks directly of the magic he wants to use then it is automatically activated on the CAD

Quote:
With flashcast (at least for tats) he thinks and the AS is instantly read by his artificial MCA and then magic sequence). As you can see it jumps a lot of steps when compared to the casting method even using the new cad.
He doesn't think about it to activate it instantly, he remembers, that's different and it is not instant, just very fast.

Quote:
And as i said in the other post, the time diference between pressing a button or your psions pressing a button is probably not important when compared with the casting time because nobody ever talked about the time reaction magicians need to select a AS.
Reread the last battle against the Parasites in Vol 11.

[/QUOTE]Another thing you are wrong about is that tats can t read AS from the medal cad because the medal cad only produces non sistematic magic magic, then this magic is used on the old cad to select the AS and the normal casting process occurs. What tats might perceive with his ES is that someone is going to use magic before the AS expands because they are using non sistematic magic to select the AS, so his ES might catch that sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Spoiler for Proof:

The AS is on the medal then all depends on the psion control of the magician but even when he is bad it will be better.

Quote:
Finally, magicians can t use nearly any magic without a cad. There are expecions like SB magicians or ancient magicians or some special cases but magicians need a cad to cast most of their magic!
Magicians can use magic without a CAD but it takes more time and the psion consumption is bigger.

Spoiler for Proof:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_cat1 View Post
You should read the whole explanation about "Parade" first to truly understand what happened.

Like Tatsuya said, the first method is "either locate the body between the time when the old illusion breaks down and a new illusion is created,". However, because Lina's casting speed is faster than the time limit of illusions so there is no gasp for Tatsuya to pinpoint the real body because she can keep creating new illusions to replace the old one.

To be simple:
Time of illusions: X minutes
Speed of Lina's casting: Y seconds.
Speed of Tatsuya's Flash Cast: 0 second.

Even if Tatsuya uses Flash Cast, he can't pinpoint Lina in the crowd when Y<X because she can keep producing new illusions in time when the old ones disappear.
It's more like she activates it very rapidly when the effects of Parades are over. So rapidly that he is unable to keep up.

Flash Cast is not instant.
Old 2014-07-09, 15:52   Link #128
Diocar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
That's wrong. Nobody could manipulate his CAD at distance here is the part

Spoiler for Quote:
If you read you quote you would know that well versed magicians in non sistematic magic could select AS with psions, the prob is for those less talented with non sistematic magic. I have even gives you tats example in the first vols when he is using the bracelets...

The CAD is here as the mean to activate the magic. Remember it's better to use a CAD for magic than not using one for the 4 GS. That's the pillar of Modern Magic.

Quote:
How can "think" and "elect" be different processes? The magician thinks directly of the magic he wants to use then it is automatically activated on the CAD
As i said, the magician decides to use magic "x", then uses the new cad to select the AS for magic "x" on the old cad, it isn t automatic, he has to decide to use the new cad. Obviously this was just to show you that the new cad didn t boost the casting time, it might only be a slight improvement on the selection time because using you finger to press a button is also extremelly fast and up to date no one has mentioned anything about the reaction and selection times, so they probably are insignificant when compared with the casting time.

Quote:
He doesn't think about it to activate it instantly, he remembers, that's different and it is not instant, just very fast.
Actually he doesn t remember, the AS is imprinted in his brain, só he decides to use magic "x" and instantly knows the AS for magic "x". Then thanks to his MCA he can directly cast the magic sequence.

Quote:
Reread the last battle against the Parasites in Vol 11.
Obviouly i don t see what this has to do with with using fingers or psions for selecting an AS

Quote:
Another thing you are wrong about is that tats can t read AS from the medal cad because the medal cad only produces non sistematic magic magic, then this magic is used on the old cad to select the AS and the normal casting process occurs. What tats might perceive with his ES is that someone is going to use magic before the AS expands because they are using non sistematic magic to select the AS, so his ES might catch that sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Spoiler for Proof:

The AS is on the medal then all depends on the psion control of the magician but even when he is bad it will be better.
[QUOTE]
If you paid more attention to what is writen you would know that the AS used on the medal is used to create magic that selects the AS for the magic the magician is going to use. I meant that he can t know what magic is going to be used based on the new cad, only that it is going to be used magic. In order to know what magic he need to read the AS from the old cad.
Besides, the magic created with the new cad is very simple in order to put as less strain on the magician as possible and be as fast as possible as possible. Therefore the AS is very fast and the magicians talent isn t very important to determine the time casting this non sistematic magic. Otherwise only the elite would use tats new cad, which would mean it would suck.

Quote:
Magicians can use magic without a CAD but it takes more time and the psion consumption is bigger.

Spoiler for Proof:
This is probably taken out of contest. Magicians can only use innate magic without a cad.
Quote:
It's more like she activates it very rapidly when the effects of Parades are over. So rapidly that he is unable to keep up.

This isn t for me but you also don t know what is parade. Parade creates a diferent location on the information dimention. In that fight lina was simply using illusion magic, not parade! Tats dispelled parede before she started with the illusions.
The only prob was that tats couldn t pinpoint where lina was and he didn t have a AoE magic.

Last edited by Diocar; 2014-07-09 at 16:04.
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 16:56   Link #129
Echizen777

Quote:

As i said, the magician decides to use magic "x", then uses the new cad to select the AS for magic "x" on the old cad, it isn t automatic, he has to decide to use the new cad. Obviously this was just to show you that the new cad didn t boost the casting time, it might only be a slight improvement on the selection time because using you finger to press a button is also extremelly fast and up to date no one has mentioned anything about the reaction and selection times, so they probably are insignificant when compared with the casting time.
So, let's say Miyuki has the thought control CAD and wants to use Inferno. According to what you say, she will think "I want to use magic" then select manually instead of thinking "I want to use Inferno"? The thought controlled CAD is a device which works with another CAD but the AS is on the thought controlled, everything else is done automatically via the psion waves on the other CAD. I would want you to give me an example.

Quote:
Actually he doesn t remember, the AS is imprinted in his brain, só he decides to use magic "x" and instantly knows the AS for magic "x". Then thanks to his MCA he can directly cast the magic sequence.
Spoiler for Quote:

To sum it up, his head is like a CAD, that's all. He is not necessarily faster than everyone, Lina and the Parasites are faster.

Quote:
Obviouly i don t see what this has to do with with using fingers or psions for selecting an AS
It is to show the differences between the activation speed

Spoiler for Quote:

Quote:
If you paid more attention to what is writen you would know that the AS used on the medal is used to create magic that selects the AS for the magic the magician is going to use. I meant that he can t know what magic is going to be used based on the new cad, only that it is going to be used magic. In order to know what magic he need to read the AS from the old cad.
Besides, the magic created with the new cad is very simple in order to put as less strain on the magician as possible and be as fast as possible as possible. Therefore the AS is very fast and the magicians talent isn t very important to determine the time casting this non sistematic magic. Otherwise only the elite would use tats new cad, which would mean it would suck.
I don't remember a single NS magic having an activation sequence, it is pure psion manipulation but whatever, he will still read it and you said yourself the speed is increased, it helps the caster. And obviously all magicians have not the same casting speed.

Quote:
This is probably taken out of contest. Magicians can only use innate magic without a cad.
No. They can use magic without a CAD but it is slower, we know this since Vol 1.

Quote:
This isn t for me but you also don t know what is parade. Parade creates a diferent location on the information dimention. In that fight lina was simply using illusion magic, not parade! Tats dispelled parede before she started with the illusions.
The only prob was that tats couldn t pinpoint where lina was and he didn t have a AoE magic.
Parade is an illusion magic. He could not pinpoint, he could not keep up and he did'nt have AOE magic.
Old 2014-07-09, 17:54   Link #130
Diocar

Quote:
So, let's say Miyuki has the thought control CAD and wants to use Inferno. According to what you say, she will think "I want to use magic" then select manually instead of thinking "I want to use Inferno"? The thought controlled CAD is a device which works with another CAD but the AS is on the thought controlled, everything else is done automatically via the psion waves on the other CAD. I would want you to give me an example.
Argh... If miyuki wants to use inferno she uses the new cad, meaning that she sends psions into the new cad which create non sistematic magic. This non sistematic magic selects the AS for inferno on her old cad(meaning the psions interfere with the antena in the cad in order for the slot containing the AS for inferno being chosen).
After this she sends psions into the old cad expanding the AS, which is the read by her MCA etc...
So miyuki casted inferno using the thought controled cad
In the process she created 2 AS and 2 MS.

Quote:
Spoiler for Quote:

To sum it up, his head is like a CAD, that's all. He is not necessarily faster than everyone, Lina and the Parasites are faster.
You are stuborn... Simply by using flash cast he eliminates various processes that a magician using a cad needs. Have you read that he directly constructs magic sequences from memory instead of sending psions to the cad, expanding the AS, reading the AS in his MCA and then casting the MS he jumps directly to the last step! (And i probably Am forgeting some steps)

Quote:

It is to show the differences between the activation speed

Spoiler for Quote:
The selection of the magic doesn t count for the activation speed... And the finger thing is a manner of speech... I think

Quote:
I don't remember a single NS magic having an activation sequence, it is pure psion manipulation but whatever, he will still read it and you said yourself the speed is increased, it helps the caster. And obviously all magicians have not the same casting speed.
Actually with exception of gram demolition most of the non sistematic magic does have AS. Gram dispersion or the compound waves for ex.
I said that i don t know if there really is a diference in the selection speed, and for simple magic the casting speed is almost the same for every magician, the diference in speed is more evident in complex AS for obvious reasons.

Quote:

No. They can use magic without a CAD but it is slower, we know this since Vol 1.

Parade is an illusion magic. He could not pinpoint, he could not keep up and he did'nt have AOE magic.
I Am almost certain that they can only cast innate magic, there is no way that magicians can remember AS even with lots of time.
Old 2014-07-09, 18:13   Link #131
black_cat1

Quote:

That mean she can timely cast the illusion right after the old one fade away, that mean even if Tatsuya is faster, he cannot pinpoint the real body because there is no gasp to exploit.
black_cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 19:23   Link #132
Echizen777

Quote:
That mean she can timely cast the illusion right after the old one fade away, that mean even if Tatsuya is faster, he cannot pinpoint the real body because there is no gasp to exploit.
Timely? It was written, attack when Parade stops is possible but Tatsuya could not because Lina's casting speed is too fast for him, simple as that. If it not "timely" it is "rapidly". Lina is the fastest human caster of the series, her speed is unrivaled.

Quote:
Argh... If miyuki wants to use inferno she uses the new cad, meaning that she sends psions into the new cad which create non sistematic magic. This non sistematic magic selects the AS for inferno on her old cad(meaning the psions interfere with the antena in the cad in order for the slot containing the AS for inferno being chosen).
After this she sends psions into the old cad expanding the AS, which is the read by her MCA etc...
In the process she created 2 AS and 2 MS
To "use the new CAD" as you say she thinks about the magic Inferno then the NS magic activates Inferno on the generalized CAD, that's all. She doesn't need to cast Inferno two times, in this case the thought controlled CAD would be something useless. You are saying that the magic is selected, then she selects it again.

Quote:
You are stuborn... Simply by using flash cast he eliminates various processes that a magician using a cad needs. Have you read that he directly constructs magic sequences from memory instead of sending psions to the cad, expanding the AS, reading the AS in his MCA and then casting the MS he jumps directly to the last step! (And i probably Am forgeting some steps)
It eliminates nothing at all. His head is a CAD.
The psion are sent while the AS is constructed, for Tatsuya he constructs the AS with his head instead of a CAD and when he remembers and use it, it consumes his Psion Count. He just does what a magician can do with a CAD with his head.

Quote:
The selection of the magic doesn t count for the activation speed... And the finger thing is a manner of speech... I think
This quote is not about magic selection. Didn't you read Activation speed? The majority has not even the time to react before being beaten since she is so fast.

Quote:
Actually with exception of gram demolition most of the non sistematic magic does have AS. Gram dispersion or the compound waves for ex.
Compound waves is a mix of NS magic and Oscillation type magic so it can have an AS but Gram Dispersion has no AS AFAIK.

Quote:
I Am almost certain that they can only cast innate magic, there is no way that magicians can remember AS even with lots of time.
Exactly. There is no AS when casting without a CAD, that's why the 3 exceptions to the 4GS can be used without problems even when a magician has no CAD. The AS is a shortcut to replace the signs and incantations etc. The spells are recorded in the CAD and activate faster via the Activation sequences. That's the difference with Ancient Magic.
Old 2014-07-09, 19:59   Link #133
Diocar

Quote:

To "use the new CAD" as you say she thinks about the magic Inferno then the NS magic activates Inferno on the generalized CAD, that's all. She doesn't need to cast Inferno two times, in this case the thought controlled CAD would be something useless. You are saying that the magic is selected, then she selects it again.
Seriously? i didn t write nothing of what you said above. Literally nothing!

Quote:
In the process she created 2 AS and 2 MS.
The non sistematic magic doesn't activate, it selects. After being selected she needs to cast the magic....
So she creates 1 AS to create the non sistematic magic (MS) which selects which magic she is going to cast on the old cad, and then she has to cast the real AS and MS that corresponds to the actual magic she is going to cast. She doesn t casts the same magic 2 times... Simply 2 diferent AS and MS...
And the only use the new cad has is to select AS on the old cad so that ppl don t have to use their fingers to do it.

I Am not even going to bother with the rest, you simply don t understand what i write.
Old 2014-07-09, 20:13   Link #134
Echizen777

Quote:
The non sistematic magic doesn't activate, it selects. After being selected she needs to cast the magic....
So she creates 1 AS to create the non sistematic magic (MS) which selects which magic she is going to cast on the old cad, and then she has to cast the real AS and MS that corresponds to the actual magic she is going to cast. She doesn t casts the same magic 2 times... Simply 2 diferent AS and MS...
And the only use the new cad has is to select AS on the old cad so that ppl don t have to use their fingers to do it.

I Am not even going to bother with the rest, you simply don t understand what i write.
Do you realize that your description makes the casting process even slower and more complicated than the one without the thought control CAD?

You are telling me that when the magic is "selected" it doesn't activate? Magicians send psion in their CAD when "selecting" the magic, once they "selected" it, it activates. In the case of the thought controlled CAD, when the magician thinks about the magic, the NS magic which contains their psion travels to the normal CAD and activates the magic, the magic has already been selected in it mind. Without it, Miyuki would input the numbers for Inferno, meaning that she decided to use this magic and it will activate right after that.
Old 2014-07-10, 04:09   Link #135
black_cat1

Quote:
Timely? It was written, attack when Parade stops is possible but Tatsuya could not because Lina's casting speed is too fast for him, simple as that. If it not "timely" it is "rapidly". Lina is the fastest human caster of the series, her speed is unrivaled.
No, it is timely. Let take an example to be easier:

Time limit of Parade: 1 minutes
Lina's casting speed : 30 seconds

With Lina's casting speed always smaller than the time limit of Parade, she can freely create new illusions in time to prevent Tatsuya detecting. The problem is not who is faster between Tatsuya and Lina, the problem is whether Lina can cast before those illusions fade away or not.

And Lina is not the fastest caster, that one belong to Tatsuya. If he use Decomposition then Lina won't even have a chance to cast Parade in the first place.
Old 2014-07-10, 06:08   Link #136
Echizen777

Quote:
No, it is timely. Let take an example to be easier:

Time limit of Parade: 1 minutes
Lina's casting speed : 30 seconds
I know it's an example but 30 seconds is too much with a CAD. The casting speed is how fast you can cast a spell.

Quote:
With Lina's casting speed always smaller than the time limit of Parade, she can freely create new illusions in time to prevent Tatsuya detecting. The problem is not who is faster between Tatsuya and Lina, the problem is whether Lina can cast before those illusions fade away or not.
I think we learned in the first volumes that activate a magic on another one which is still working will cause problems and make the magic more and more difficult. Besides, it is necessary to use Counter Magic before this. Remember why Flight magic was impossible with Modern Magic?

Quote:
And Lina is not the fastest caster, that one belong to Tatsuya. If he use Decomposition then Lina won't even have a chance to cast Parade in the first place.
It is his innate magic, it is fast but nothing said it makes him faster than everyone on the planet and he doesn't even Flash Cast when using it because he masters it so well, another proof that FC 's doesn't give unrivaled speed, other magicians have their hereditary spells too. He was unable to use Decomposition on her when her Parade ended because he could not keep up, Lina is that fast. You are underestimating her, she is the fastest human caster known so far.
Old 2014-07-10, 07:33   Link #137
bakato

Quote:
Do you realize that your description makes the casting process even slower and more complicated than the one without the thought control CAD?

You are telling me that when the magic is "selected" it doesn't activate? Magicians send psion in their CAD when "selecting" the magic, once they "selected" it, it activates. In the case of the thought controlled CAD, when the magician thinks about the magic, the NS magic which contains their psion travels to the normal CAD and activates the magic, the magic has already been selected in it mind. Without it, Miyuki would input the numbers for Inferno, meaning that she decided to use this magic and it will activate right after that.
Not at all. Admittedly, it's a lot more roundabout, but it's still faster than punching in numbers on a CAD.

Tatsuya doesn't have to even worry about Parade in their next battle. Now that he's used Regrowth on Lina, Tatsuya can track her real information body wherever she is regardless of Parade.

Last edited by bakato; 2014-07-10 at 07:57.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 07:55   Link #138
black_cat1

Quote:
I know it's an example but 30 seconds is too much with a CAD. The casting speed is how fast you can cast a spell.
I said example.

Quote:
I think we learned in the first volumes that activate a magic on another one which is still working will cause problems and make the magic more and more difficult. Besides, it is necessary to use Counter Magic before this. Remember why Flight magic was impossible with Modern Magic?
She doesn't cast several spells at once, what she does is simply casting one spell right at the moment illusions disappear to create new one. For an A-rank magician like Lina, it is perfectly ok. And Flight Type magic is much more complex than Parade, it is one of the Three Great Puzzles after all.

Quote:
It is his innate magic, it is fast but nothing said it makes him faster than everyone on the planet and he doesn't even Flash Cast when using it because he masters it so well, another proof that FC 's doesn't give unrivaled speed, other magicians have their hereditary spells too. He was unable to use Decomposition on her when her Parade ended because he could not keep up, Lina is that fast. You are underestimating her, she is the fastest human caster known so far.
Decomposition is definitely faster because it directly controls Eidos while normal spells need Activation Sequence -> Magic Sequence -> False signal to Eidos -> Phenomenon. Even magicians with hereditary spells cannot do that because it is impossible for them to control Eidos like Tatsuya. Tatsuya didn't use Decomposition on Lina because he wanted to conceal his power and he didn't want to kill her. If he used Decomposition then he could ignore both Lina and her illusions and simply turn all to dust.
Old 2014-07-10, 08:02   Link #139
bakato

Quote:
I said example.

She doesn't cast several spells at once, what she does is simply casting one spell right at the moment illusions disappear to create new one. For an A-rank magician like Lina, it is perfectly ok. And Flight Type magic is much more complex than Parade, it is one of the Three Great Puzzles after all.

Decomposition is definitely faster because it directly controls Eidos while normal spells need Activation Sequence -> Magic Sequence -> False signal to Eidos -> Phenomenon. Even magicians with hereditary spells cannot do that because it is impossible for them to control Eidos like Tatsuya. Tatsuya didn't use Decomposition on Lina because he wanted to conceal his power and he didn't want to kill her. If he used Decomposition then he could ignore both Lina and her illusions and simply turn all to dust.
The quote specifically stated their was a gap between the spells. If there wasn't one to exploit then there wouldn't have been a point in stating how fast Lina was.

Decomposition has an activation sequence. Why else would it have been installed on Tatsuya's CAD?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 08:43   Link #140
black_cat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The quote specifically stated their was a gap between the spells. If there wasn't one to exploit then there wouldn't have been a point in stating how fast Lina was.

Decomposition has an activation sequence. Why else would it have been installed on Tatsuya's CAD?
According to the novel, there is no gap to exploit at all. The point of stating how fast Lina was is she can continuously cast the spell in time the illusion disappears, thus make it difficult for Tatsuya to capture her without harm.

I don't see any part of the LN said that Decomposition needs AS, only see Mist Dispersion, Trident. At any chance if it does require AS, then the AS must be very small cause he can initiate it very fast like in Yokohama battle 3 years ago