Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > KanColle

Notices

Old 2015-01-22, 23:13   Link #1061
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
No love for my lovely Tone? Meh.

If anything it'd be a success because people's awareness of the franchise will rise. I already got a friend to start playing partly due to the fact that it has an anime and he's totally hooked up. It's been less than a week and he's lv 40, that's quite a feat.
But did he power level several ships or he just leveled his HQ level without knowing...?
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:13   Link #1062
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
Candidates where fans may make a hyper riot against the anime staff if sunk in the anime to the point it is going to be very absurd:

- Kongou
- Haruna
- Kaga
- Akagi
- Shimakaze
- Inazuma, Ikazuchi, Akatsuki, Hibiki
- Atago
- Shoukaku
- Kitakami
- Yamato

I know everyone feels bad about Kisaragi, but I would say she was in the minority in a way. If one of the characters stated above sinks in the anime, we would see some fire.
Strictly from a storytelling perspective, it might be very tempting to have Akagi get sunk in the 2nd half of the anime.

Thus far, Fubuki's character arc seems very central to the overarching narrative. And Fubuki deeply respects Akagi, and even hero-worships her a bit. Akagi is a great source of hope and inspiration to Fubuki.

Looking at it from the author/writer's perspective, the death of Akagi could make for the ideal final challenge/hurdle for Fubuki to overcome in her character arc, potentially leading to a strong finale with a good sense of catharsis.

Granted, this sort of narrative has certainly been done before. It might feel a bit cliche to some viewers. Still, it's one of those storytelling techniques that is definitely tried, tested, and true. Much like the blatant death flags we saw here in Episode 3, this old storytelling technique (main protagonist must overcome the death of a beloved hero or senpai) often crops up because it tends to emotionally click with many readers and viewers and listeners.

That's not to say I expect it to happen, because as you wrote, it would take considerable courage for the anime writers to kill off a character as popular as Akagi is. Still, there would be a certain natural flow to the narrative going this way...
Old 2015-01-22, 23:18   Link #1063
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Oh shit... I forgot my bad. I knew I was forgetting something...

If we think about that "big operation" Nagato was talking about, we might see some big names go bye bye.... Just speculations though...

But yeah results aren't going to be that great that's for sure...

And no, Akatsuki-class lolis may go bye bye excluding Hibiki. An example would be Akatsuki doing the same kind of stuff she did back in World War.
Yamato is a popular big name too, and represents the powerful might of the IJN. It would be bad if her name wasn't mentioned.

Spoiler for Outside KanColle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I don't think she's as popular as any of the girls in that list, actually. Maybe Shoukaku.
Which shipgirl?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:21   Link #1064
novalysis

It's too early to speculate.

But if more Ship Girls get killed off, I suspect the Kantai Collection anime is meant to be a paean to Japanese Pacifism, with a very strong anti-war and war is hell message.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:24   Link #1065
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Which shipgirl?
Yamato. At least I'm sure Kaga and Akatsukis are more popular.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:27   Link #1066
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post

But if more Ship Girls get killed off, I suspect the Kantai Collection anime is meant to be a paean to Japanese Pacifism, with a very strong anti-war and war is hell message.
One thing for sure is that considering her character and setting in this anime, Akagi has the most death flag out of the entire characters
Old 2015-01-22, 23:29   Link #1067
Enternal

Quote:
Candidates where fans may make a hyper riot against the anime staff if sunk in the anime to the point it is going to be very absurd:

- Kongou
- Haruna
- Kaga
- Akagi
- Shimakaze
- Inazuma, Ikazuchi, Akatsuki, Hibiki
- Atago
- Shoukaku
- Kitakami
- Yamato

I know everyone feels bad about Kisaragi, but I would say she was in the minority in a way. If one of the characters stated above sinks in the anime, we would see some fire.
But honestly, I'm kinda getting fonder and fonder of Akagi. To me at least she seems pretty plain but the last 3 episodes, she kind of grows on you from what you know about her so far. It's most likely because of her demeanor and how serious yet laid back she is at the same time?
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:36   Link #1068
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420
What about Yamato?? O.O
Nobody uses Yamato :V
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:37   Link #1069
novalysis

Quote:
One thing for sure is that considering her character and setting in this anime, Akagi has the most death flag out of the entire characters
Given Akagi historically sunk in June 1942 at the Battle of Midway, I would agree with you - thinks look bad for Akagi's continued survival.

But if Kantai Collection follows World War 2, there's still the Battle of the Coral Sea analogue to go, so I suspect, if there are any additional sinkings after this episode, that several other Ship-girls might sink before Akagi does.

Infact, if Akagi is killed off, having Kisaragi so minimally developed might have been deliberate - in war, there are people that you might not know so well that is killed in action, who may be dear to other people nearer your social circle. In a sense, Kisaragi merely signals the possibility that other ships are in mortal danger, but Akagi is suppose to be the first potential sinking that affects Fubiki directly. Akagi is the intended sacrificial lion, and dead mentor figure.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:41   Link #1070
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
If anything it'd be a success because people's awareness of the franchise will rise. I already got a friend to start playing partly due to the fact that it has an anime and he's totally hooked up. It's been less than a week and he's lv 40, that's quite a feat.
Some people come to it just to see them girls die in the series. To be honest, my interest in the series got restored in episode 3, I was getting bored until that point (for a different reason, one that probably will get me the remark "You're expecting the wrong things from the wrong show." ). And seeing the "riot" in Twitterspace etc. was so fun because everyone's talking about it.

Now that they pulled the Episode 3 end, some people are not going to like it if it was a one-off thing. All the interest vested because of that will soon wane.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 23:44   Link #1071
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I disagree.

After the very first episode? Yeah, that's almost always a bit early for speculating.

After three episodes? No, unless the anime is very slow-paced (which doesn't apply to Kancolle), I don't see anything wrong with speculating after 3 episodes. We've seen enough at this point to know who some of the key characters are, to know what some of the key character relationship dynamics are, to get a sense of the general tone/atmosphere of the show, and to have some sense of what boundaries the show might set for itself.

Quote:
Sure, that's possible. Interesting speculation there.
Old 2015-01-22, 23:45   Link #1072
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Yes they do. PvP and Events Not sure if used in 5-5 though. Probably yes.
Old 2015-01-22, 23:57   Link #1073
cloud04
Scanlator

yamato is too much of a reso eater XD
Old 2015-01-23, 00:34   Link #1074
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud04 View Post

kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 00:37   Link #1075
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Can't wait till the Battle of Guadalcanal!
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 00:50   Link #1076
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
Only a True Masochist like him would use her.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 01:19   Link #1077
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Well a M Teitoku is miles better than a KUSO Teitoku
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 01:28   Link #1078
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Can't wait till the Battle of Guadalcanal!
Not possible until Poi goes Kai Ni
Old 2015-01-23, 01:44   Link #1079
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yamato sink only to come back with planetary level destruction weaponry (in 2199).
Old 2015-01-23, 01:49   Link #1080
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Then what was the point putting her in the game other than just a secretary and waifu candidate? :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud04 View Post
Does this same goes to Musashi and other large ships like Akagi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
Well a M Teitoku is miles better than a KUSO Teitoku
x2 this.

Quote:
Not possible until Poi goes Kai Ni
Which is when she goes badass.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, drama, fleet girls, slice of life, tragedy