AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-11-28, 22:28   Link #981
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

@SibylEnd: Yes it would. It's just a digital version of the physical book. Everything should be the same.

So going by this confirmation and granted it is the LN, I'm going to assume Kadokawa gave them the rights to the digital copies, which is cool. And with their partnership with Square Enix, the Index Manga rights should happen, too (If not already). I'll take it as Toaru series doing well over here and of course there was quite a few requests for it as I looked around.

Now, hopefully Index-san happens eventually.

Last edited by ACertainStark; 2015-11-28 at 22:43.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 20:59   Link #982
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

And Season 1 finishes this February:
Old 2015-12-10, 23:52   Link #983
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibylEnd View Post
i better get an Ebook for christmas then; i need to support this new agenda.

Edit: wait. would an ebook version still have haimuras illustrations?
Yes, but Yen Press doesn't edit landscape images to fit the page correctly.

ie: they literally put a landscape image in a portrait page.
Old 2015-12-15, 18:19   Link #984
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Confirmed Digital Rights are for the Light Novels:
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tit...9780316359955/ Vol 8 listed for August 23rd
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tit...9780316359849/ Both Vol 7 & 8 listed for e-book format.
Old 2015-12-15, 20:52   Link #985
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tit...9780316359955/ Vol 8 listed for August 23rd
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/tit...9780316359849/ Both Vol 7 & 8 listed for e-book format.
August 23 is so far away lol.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 01:53   Link #986
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Finally! I've been waiting for the ebook version.
Old 2016-01-02, 09:32   Link #987
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Finally found Index English novels in a bookstore in UK, stuff in the corner with the manga sections.

But woof, £11 is too rich for my blood. Especially only for V1 and V2
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-02, 11:16   Link #988
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Finally found Index English novels in a bookstore in UK, stuff in the corner with the manga sections.

But woof, £11 is too rich for my blood. Especially only for V1 and V2
use sites like bookdepository for global free shipment plus some discount ? But one might also hope to support their local bookstore when buying yen press books so their local bookstore can see those book really sell and thus import more for people to buy and let other outsider contact the series
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 23:36   Link #989
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Wonder why its taking them so long to release the ebooks.

You'd think they'd have someone whip them up for all their non-digital series after a volume is completed, just in case they managed to get the digital in the future.
Old 2016-02-08, 11:38   Link #990
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

The digital version of Index will all be out Feb 23rd

http://yenpress.com/digital/
Old 2016-02-09, 05:49   Link #991
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Wonder why its taking them so long to release the ebooks.

You'd think they'd have someone whip them up for all their non-digital series after a volume is completed, just in case they managed to get the digital in the future.
Probably something related to dengeki bunko? For instance for another series that yen press still haven't release electronic edition, sword art online, dengeki bunko doesn't release its digital edition until last December and even when they do so, they still make its ebook exclusively available only within their own online store. Although such thing does not happen to toaru series, it can reflect the publisher's attitude toward ebook and that might affect international license too.
Old 2016-02-18, 00:06   Link #992
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

You can pre-order Vol 1-8 now on Google Play.
Old 2016-02-23, 02:23   Link #993
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Today is Feb 23. OT Volume 6 and the digital versions of the previous volumes are out today.
Old 2016-02-23, 04:10   Link #994
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Today is Feb 23. OT Volume 6 and the digital versions of the previous volumes are out today.
Got them all

Skimmed through it. Interesting localization choices.

Just waiting/hoping they'll release Sword Art Online digital now that its out in Japan.
Old 2016-03-31, 23:37   Link #995
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but Yen Press finally fixed that issue about Miki being referred to as Ms. Miki in OT06. Just...thought I'd mention it.
Old 2016-04-01, 11:58   Link #996
ssjokg

Hello everyone!!

I would like to buy the actual books(I started with Kizumonogatari and it feels really good to actually hold the book), but I know that some series wheren't so lucky with Yen Press(like No Game No life).

So,as someone that read all the fan translated volumes, how much would I enjoy the official translation?

Are science/magic terms altered?
I guess I can be sure that localization is heavy and/or awkward(onee-sama->Sissy?).
And most importantly,is the translation/editing itself good? Well, as far as I know it isn't as bad as NGNL since I don't see people running around cursing Yen Press.
ssjokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 17:11   Link #997
Cthaeh

^I'd say the official Yen Press translation is on par with the better parts of the fan translation; there were a few parts of the fan TL where the official likely has or will do better (I remember there were some dips in quality on some parts in the fan TL).

The question of whether you'd enjoy reading it is probably just the question of whether you'd enjoy reading the story again at all.

A fair number of terms are different, but I'd guess it's not like either one is really right or wrong in most cases. For example, I believe the fan TL uses the terms Christianity or Christian Church for the JP term 十字教 ("Cross Church") in the original TAMNI books; however, the Yen Press TL translates this as Crossism or Church of the Cross. I believe the Yen Press TL is actually more accurate in some sense, in that the typical JP for Christianity would be キリスト教 ("Christ Church"), so the TAMNI term is intentionally different, though clearly referring to Christianity, so it's not like either choice is really wrong. (disclaimer: I don't actually understand JP, I'm just using my knowledge of the series and google translate, so it's possible something I said isn't perfectly accurate, but I'm reasonably confident)

There are a few places I've noticed typos or something that's probably a mistranslation, but I don't think it's too common (no one can be perfect). I've been rereading them; and I find it varies how easy depending on how interested I am in the story (ie it took me forever to reread my least favorite volume, vol 4)

Last edited by Cthaeh; 2016-04-02 at 03:00.
Cthaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 19:09   Link #998
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The change of some terms is also to avoid associating the factions in the LNs with the real deal. Well, it won't change the fact that Matthai Reese looks exactly like the Pope, but meh.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 21:34   Link #999
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The change of some terms is also to avoid associating the factions in the LNs with the real deal. Well, it won't change the fact that Matthai Reese looks exactly like the Pope, but meh.
so basically it's not worth my time due to localization/ PC BS then. good to know.

if it's not the specific terminology used by the author, it doesn't matter if the translation is 'technically correct', it's still incorrect according to cannon.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 02:27   Link #1000
c933103
FTNR

It is the terminology used by author and hence technically correct. If you strictly follow the original story cannon, the fans translation we getting used to would be more incorrect.