Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

can I ask here?
Spoiler for movie spoiler:

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 13:18   Link #82
james0246

Wow, Inception only fell 32% in its second weekend grosses.

'Inception' Maintains Grip, 'Salt' Savors Second Place.

So, look for Inception to make its production budget by Thursday (Friday at its latest) this week, and its advertisement budget by Friday or Saturday next week. (Of course, taking into consideration worldwide gross, Inception has already made back its initial invest plus its advertisement budget). So, all in all, Inception has been doing great. Here's hoping this will spell a trend for future ambitious features that are not the simple formula popcorn features.

That being said, it's a little exciting that the Top 4 grosses for this past week were all new films, and not sequels or franchise films...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 08:57   Link #83
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
can I ask here?
Spoiler for movie spoiler:
Spoiler:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 20:09   Link #84
GreatTeacherKen

I don't know how many people noticed this, but there's something interesting about the music in this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

In case you're wondering, it's no coincidence; it was intentional on Hans Zimmer's part.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 22:06   Link #85
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I don't know how many people noticed this, but there's something interesting about the music in this movie:

In case you're wondering, it's no coincidence; it was intentional on Hans Zimmer's part.
When I noticed this my second time viewing the film I was quite pleased. A nice creative touch.

Stuff like that is exactly why Hans Zimmer is my favorite film composer. Very creativ

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2010-07-30 at 01:34.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 00:45   Link #86
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post

my mind was blown
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 16:37   Link #87
james0246

Very impressive, Inception only fell 36% in its 3rd weekend managing to finish 1st yet again:

'Inception' Keeps Dream Alive

Quote:
Slipping just 36 percent, Inception drew $27.5 million, elevating its total to $193.3 million in 17 days. Christopher Nolan's dream caper was the fourth movie of the year to spend three weekends at No. 1, following Avatar, Alice in Wonderland (2010) and Shrek Forever After. Like Shrek, its reign was aided by facing new releases that weren't up to snuff as summer contenders, particularly for this latest weekend.
Quite impressive. I'm now interested to see just what the retention rates/demographic breakdown for Inception are...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-13, 02:13   Link #88
Gin
*Artist

Anybody else have their own totems now?
Old 2010-08-13, 02:22   Link #89
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I don't think you can post those kinda links GoAcapulco, might wanna edit your post.

It is a great musical score but, I still like his work on the Pirates series more.

Yeah I established my totem right after the movie cause I do have a lot of lucid dreams.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 01:03   Link #90
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Anybody else have their own totems now?
Me and a friend of mine actually decided to get our own totems after seeing the film. Mine is a box of botan rice candies. In reality only the rice wrapper melts in your mouth, but within a dream, the whole thing is edible.

I know, weird choice for a totem.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 15:38   Link #91
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I kinda have to post this here

Spoiler for Might be spoilerish:
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 08:46   Link #92
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

^ brilliant

and on the topic of totems. i thought Di Caprio's totem was the fact that he couldnt see his children's faces in the dream. i mean think about it. in every scene in which their in a dream you see di caprio's kids but never see their actual faces. like you know when they are in limbo you see the kids as Di Caprio walks away from the ocean. just think along those lines and you'll see what im saying

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 10:33   Link #93
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
A great Inception movie review, for anyone interested (and patient enough to read). ^^

What a brilliant movie, I have to say. It's definitely one of those films that's very symbolic. Maybe too symbolic for its and Christopher Nolan's own good. Lots of people talk about how Nolan was just trying to confuse the audience with a lack of logic rather than passionately expressing an art form.

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed how in-depth the movie has gone, and even though I would not understand all of the themes hidden throughout the movie, I could say it's definitely not made to confuse, but rather, to force you to think. You don't get many smart movies (an item of oxymoron we desperately need today) like this nowadays.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 04:46   Link #94
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I watched this yesterday, mixed feelings...The good parts first:
+ Highly reminiscent of Matrix #1, especially in the beginning with the espionage/stealth and the dreaming.
+ Awesome music and eye-raping graphics.
+ A fair cast.

The bad:
- The plot is limited quite a bit, it is never explained how sedation makes people dream the same things (i.e. how the main plot device works).
- The ending is left uncertain, which is not always a bad thing, BUT:
Spoiler for Ending spoilers:

There's also the totem fallacy, since Kobb used his wife's totem to discern truth from dreams, they're only supposed to work for the one they belong to, otherwise they lose their purpose.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 03:59   Link #95
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Good points. Well, the visuals were great that's for sure. The way they bent reality and had rooms spin and cities shift and stuff blow up, sure, great action. The sountrack is good as well but it doeasn't have any memorable tunes.

Bad points. What the hell was that action all about? Projections of someone's mind were typical people attacking the incerptors. Am I to believe that the ultimate defence a person's mind has is... faceless mooks? Where are the dragons, the supermen, the giant robots? Something that is NOT faceless mooks? If this is the realm of dreams then it should be filled with such stuff, there is no holding back. Not even the most pragmatic mind would be without such stuff. So here I am watching an hour long action scene that is better fit for a James Bond film (minus the rotating rooms) than an adventure in the subconscious mind of troubled men. Makes little sense.

Then the dialogues. Although the explainations around how the inception works were great and I did understand the concept, I found that it took a huge chunk of the duration. Half of the dialogues feel like the characters are indirectly explaining the theory to us. Something that they wouldn't since they are supposed to know such stuff and have no need to mention them.

Good point. The story is indeed interesting and offers a concept around the blurring of reality that has never been offered exactly like this before.

Bad point. The actual plot outside the interesting concept is mostly thrown away at shoot outs and explosions with random mooks that have nothing to do with a person's mind. If I dream something, I am the dream. Everyone is me, everyone acts like me, everything reacts like me. Yet the movie wants us to think our dream is like reality. I was not convinced that a dreamworld is so stiff. It was changing all right but the moment someone knows he is dreaming and doesn't wake up, he doesn't need to run or hide. He can mold everything where he stands and play it God. Thus the movie doesn't literally show how dreams work. It just gives you some nice ideas and wastes the rest in action scenes you can find even in a normal action movie.

Acting... no good or bad points here. There are no prevaling characters for all I care. The idea and the action overshadow the actors. Di Caprio and the gang did their parts well but I still find it hard to believe that such an unstable personality that has his murderous wife chasing him in dreams would be allowed to go on in such delicate missions. It's like inviting Freddy Krugger to chop you to pieces while the world hangs at the edge of the cliff. Bad plot element.

So is this movie good? In theory, yes. Action lovers and eggheads will love it. Scriptwritters may get some nice ideas from. But as far as I care it is NOT a masterpiece. It has too many convinient events, too much holding back, too much infodump, too much out-of place action.

Things that I would change to make this movie better:
-No shootings with faceless mooks and blowing stuff just for the heck of it.
-More dream morphing scenes in places of forementioned pointless action.
-Less infodump.
-Less corny dead wife drama. We have Solaris for that.

The Cage is a movie doing a rather better portrait of a man's dreamworld. Not so much mumbo jumbo around how it works but shows it better. And of course there is Solaris (dead wife thing) and Matrix (cool action) and James Bond (shooting and blowing stuff) to take out most other good parts of the movie. By the end of it, only the idea of inception is what stands out. And it wasn't exploited that much really.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 17:32   Link #96
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Finally watched it . Yeah , that was brillant.

Well , i won't argue much , you have already said all.

As Shutter Island , the ending is mixed. But i think that in this one , Cobb is in Limbo and the whole movie could just be a dream.

Nolan just want to tease us ^^ all depends on the totem at the end , did it fell ? or stayed like this ?

Edit : Found this - Inception Ending Extended

Hmmm....

Edit 2 : Totally forgot about Cobb's totem... his wedding ring... he doesn't have it at the end so does it means it's real... Gosh , don't wanna think too much about it lol *Head explode*

Last edited by -Sho-; 2010-11-24 at 17:53.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 19:42   Link #97
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Spoiler for Ending spoilers:

There's also the totem fallacy, since Kobb used his wife's totem to discern truth from dreams, they're only supposed to work for the one they belong to, otherwise they lose their purpose.

Spoiler for Ending spoiler:

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 03:05   Link #98
Ahiru77
あひる

How did Ariadne's totem work ? The chestpiece...
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 09:39   Link #99
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

It could be the weight or that it was loaded to fall a certain way as you see Ariadne knock it over just after she makes it.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote