Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-25, 16:02   Link #81
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
While on that subject, does anyone know what happens when you "approve" the messages in your profile?
If I am understanding you correctly that would be one of the user accessible moderation features. If you have opted to moderate all visitor messages, then it allows the message to be seen by other users. If you have not opted to have messages moderated by default, then it will do nothing (because the message is already "approved" automatically).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Ok so the forum changed quiet a lot, and question on social groups, we could make any social groups that we want?
Technically, yes. Having said that, we're in a transition stage at the moment and the features will no doubt change. While not heavily moderating the groups at first, if we find the feature has a negative effect on the forum we will restrict its use or remove the feature. Same applies to any of the new "bells" actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Also now we could see who visited their profile?
Right now you can see all users who look at your profile provided they are logged in AND not browsing with the "invisible" mode enabled. However, a number of people have said they don't like this feature because they feel it is an invasion of privacy or opens people to the fear of stalking. This includes a good percentage of the forum staff. Chances are it will be switched off... though personally, I do not mind people knowing that I have looked at their profile... so I am not against it. I have nothing to hide.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:09   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I hope you keep the tag system NightWish, at least for thread creators; it's really neat way to link to other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I like the friends feature, actually. But curses, it really has a Facebook type of feel to it, doesn't it? As if these forums weren't addictive enough already!
Perhaps, but think of it as a test if you are so easily manipulated.
I mentioned all of these changes long ago... and they are all for the greater good, hopefully.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:12   Link #83
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I actually have this thing against social networking and being anti-facebook

Maybe this will grow on me but right now isn't the time tbh

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:13   Link #84
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Oh lol, the International Saimoe thread is now tagged as flaming.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:16   Link #85
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I thought something was different when I got home to see 2 notification cause I have never received one before.

*time to read up on the change*

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:17   Link #86
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

You're not alone. I've actually been actively avoiding my Facebook profile, because the whole thing bothers me so much. I really don't like people who know me in real life being able to keep tabs with what I'm up to, where I'm going, and so on. Somehow, though... and maybe this is just me... I find it a little bit more palatable here on AnimeSuki, because I'm a bit more in control of my identity here. So, despite my absolute hatred of Facebook, I'd actually probably be more likely to participate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Oh lol, the Saimoe thread is now tagged as flaming.
"There is truth in advertising!"... oh wait.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:17   Link #87
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
That's nice of whoever did that. I personally call it a place to express your opinions freely.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:18   Link #88
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I wonder if the album feature (and to some extent, the social group feature, since albums can be attached to that) would remove the need for a lot of the posts in the Fan Creations forum? A lot of those threads are for showing off art; I'm not sure what the limitations and usage of the album feature is, but it seems to me that people could put up images there (strain on the forums?) and I presume others can comment on them.

edit: Maybe that'd work for the sig makers, but definitely not for the photographers and wallpaper-makers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Limits
Pictures Remaining 60
Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels

Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:23   Link #89
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
I'm not sure what the limitations and usage of the album feature is, but it seems to me that people could put up images there (strain on the forums?) and I presume others can comment on them.
That is how it works, though the file sizes, number of images, dimensions, etc. all need tweaking over time if it is to be used long term. Do not get too attached to it or assume it will make a good replacement for ImageHost, ImageShack, etc. because it won't. Strain on the forums is exactly the potential problem, we'll just have to see how it pans out... I am open minded about it, but I cannot see it replacing the user centric fan-creation discussion threads.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:28   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

Same. I believe quite a lot of people here aren't too into social networks.

Quote:
Oh lol, the Saimoe thread is now tagged as flaming.
Well, is it really wrong? Some people feel that's a good source to read flamming, so I suppose it's well tagged. The tags are only relevent if people are going to get what they are searching. So even if it's "wrong" as long as it points to what some people might be searching it's tagged right...

(no offence to those who post there; I havent even read much into it)

If someone were to tag the tutorial thread as "amusing" that would be correct if suppose there are a lot of funny discussion. I can see how some people may feel it's diverging from the purpose of the thread; that's not the point with tags.

Some general good practices when tagging:
  • Avoid citing the title. It will appear in searches... so it's irrelevent.
  • Avoid non-grouped information Tagging something Ep10 for example; does anyone care to gather all the Ep10 in the world?
  • Avoid citing the section Tagging as troubleshooting will get you nowhere. There are hundreds of unrelated threads that fit in that section, and a section with a similar purpose for all of them.
  • Use lowercase singular form since it's more general use.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:29   Link #91
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That is pretty funny, har har

I see joke tagging like this is funny and acceptable only if used correctly

And that was a stroke of genius!

Dam, I need to think of some witty ones

@ relentlessflame ~ I just refuse to make an account no matter how much my friends try to poke me. If they want to inform me of anything, they can use msn

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-05-25, 16:31   Link #92
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Right now you can see all users who look at your profile provided they are logged in AND not browsing with the "invisible" mode enabled. However, a number of people have said they don't like this feature because they feel it is an invasion of privacy or opens people to the fear of stalking. This includes a good percentage of the forum staff. Chances are it will be switched off... though personally, I do not mind people knowing that I have looked at their profile... so I am not against it. I have nothing to hide.
I'm confused by this. Are you saying that some people are uncomfortable knowing who's been checking out their profile? Or are you saying some people would rather keep the entire profile private?

If it's the former, that confuses me because the only difference between now and then is that you can see who's been seeing it. It doesn't mention how frequently though, so I can't really see the stalker angle.

If it's the latter I can understand and respect that. There are some who don't wish to take part in such features and I believe they should toggle them off if they choose to.

Like you I don't mind knowing who's been seeing my profile. It doesn't really bother me and there really isn't anyone here who makes me feel uncomfortable to the point that I'd rather they not know things about me. To a point of course, but being able to add/remove such details from my profile is something I like being in control of.

I like Cat's idea about restricting tag use to thread creator/site staff though. It would help cut down on random tags immensely and it would make it easier to moderate/report, if the feature stays.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:31   Link #93
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Some general good practices when tagging:
  • Avoid citing the title. It will appear in searches... so it's irrelevent.
  • Avoid non-grouped information Tagging something Ep10 for example; does anyone care to gather all the Ep10 in the world?
  • Avoid citing the section Tagging as troubleshooting will get you nowhere. There are hundreds of unrelated threads that fit in that section, and a section with a similar purpose for all of them.
  • Use lowercase singular form since it's more general use.
A note about that last one - the forum seems to convert it to lowercase automatically. Agreed that it's nicer to have it standardized.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:34   Link #94
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Wow, I am liking the album feature. I never wanted to create a thread to "advertise" my pictures, and for me, an album would be better.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:34   Link #95
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
A note about that last one - the forum seems to convert it to lowercase automatically. Agreed that it's nicer to have it standardized.
It does indeed. That was one of the options in the configuration, enabled for exactly that reason.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:41   Link #96
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

This is interesting to note, but you cannot add bbcode tags to picture captions. It's not a problem if you can't, but I was wondering if it's possible.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:43   Link #97
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Sorry if it's a dumb question but....

Is there a way to change the way how Visitor Messages are displayed?

I don't like how the new ones always appear on top and would prefer if it were like the rest of the forum were new messages are always at the bottom.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:44   Link #98
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
This is interesting to note, but you cannot add bbcode tags to picture captions. It's not a problem if you can't, but I was wondering if it's possible.
The various new areas that allow users to post messages have all been restricted to allow only simple bbcode (style and colour) deliberately. We may enabled other bbcodes eventually.
Quote:
Not that I am aware, but I will have another look through the settings to see.
Old 2008-05-25, 16:47   Link #99
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Sorry if it's a dumb question but....

I don't like how the new ones always appear on top and would prefer if it were like the rest of the forum were new messages are always at the bottom.
I was just about to ask the same thing.

The new posts in the visitor messages read from bottom to top (oldest to newest) which is horribly confusing seen as we are used to reading top to bottom. Need fix

Old 2008-05-25, 16:49   Link #100
Shana

When I logged in some minutes ago, it said "Welcome, Shana. You last visited: Yesterday at 19:38. Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 89 [Gotta clean it ]. You have: 5 Notifications." And I was like "Ah... I have 5 notifications, let's... WTF? Notifications? *goes to the feedback forum* aaahhh! Forum Upgrade! ".

*Cough*

I like the new Profile View. I don't think the tags/bookmarks are really necesary. Aren't the tags the same as the search? After I post it seems like if someone has deleted her/his post. Meh. But still I like the upgrade, it's nice and I think I'll get used to it in a while.

Tags
feedback, forum upgrade, tags