3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-02, 09:08   Link #81
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Or another possibility, that exit restrictions simply means you cannot use convenient methods to teleport out of the zone, using recall spells or death - and not a restriction to using the doors to another zone.
Old 2013-12-02, 12:04   Link #82
Kyosuke_Nanbu

also, since Building purchase is a new feature.There is no guarantee it haz new feature allow more contro

Not to mention, the guild room existed before the Catatrope so it follow the game rules and developers won't allow a guild master to trap players inside Guild room without good reason
Old 2013-12-02, 16:29   Link #83
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Now I understand what you mean. But can't they just suicide their way to cathedral? if Call of Home a skill is not allowed with skill restriction on the zone but it looks like battle is allowed inside the guild hall of hamelin. With Tohya attacking the ninja guy.
They could still suicide, but they could do that anyways, Hamelin isn't guarding them closely enough to prevent them killing themselves to escape as it is. Far too much time unsupervised. So Hamelin seems to be relying on the unpleasantness of dying to keep their prisoners from doing it to themselves. So exit restrictions if available would still increase security, and reduce the need for guards.

They can use skills, so I'm pretty sure that the reason they can't use Call of Home is simply that it's not available until a higher level. It being a level 30 or so skill would preclude the beginners from using it. Indeed, I think that the anime screwed up with the scene of Akatsuki and Henrietta a couple of episodes ago. I get that they were attempting to foreshadow Shiroe individually banning Hamelin guild members from the guild building, but they ended up implying the ability to individually set the combat and skill restrictions which is something I'm fairly sure was not in the novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
I think the situation of the beginners were similar with Serara. Nothing would stop them from hunting the beginners back if they ran (before Shiroe execute his plan). The Hamelin Thugs probably have added the beginners into their friend list, and like in Serara's case, they would know where the beginners were if they are in the open (Many didnt know that the once decorative scenery have become real building, as shown in Serara's case).The thugs can just drag them back into the guild hall without killing them, but instead inflicting massive pain like what Naotsugu did to Schreider in the end. So it is possible the thugs thought that measure was enough.
The threat of that is almost certainly what they were partly relying on. The problem is that if you can keep some people you don't want leaving the guild all at all from leaving period, then why not do that and not have to go to the hassle of chasing them down if they run? This isn't like Susukino where one guild controlled everything and they could hunt down deserters at their leisure. Someone can slip out unattended, unregister with Hamelin, join a different guild, and Hamelin would have a difficult time coercing them to rejoin Hamelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryce View Post
There is a simple way around the apparent plothole: nothing proves that a blacklist exists for exit restrictions, and with a bit of speculation it's easy to assume there is indeed none.

The "Entry/Exit restriction: None" text is not shown to be the blacklist itself. It even says "none", not "nobody", and I assume the translation is correct. It's natural to assume that this text bubble refers to vague conditions like "Guild members only". The blacklist could be either a separate or a sub-feature.

Now then, we can also assume that the same options aren't available for both Entry and Exit restrictions. Because, for the exit restriction to make sense and to not be an absurd abusive power given to the guilds (trapping players in a building), it has to be a form of protection that stop direct prejudice to the guilds, which could work with conditions like "Exit restriction: Inventory clear of Guild items". But there is no prejudice possible in a specific player being who they are when they exit the place, thus a blacklist for exiting doesn't make sense and would be abusive.
That would be the most sensible thing. The problem is that if entry and exit restrictions exist, and a zone owner can individually blacklist people from entry, but does not have a matching list for exit, then that's something that really needs to be stated in the series to close the plot hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Or another possibility, that exit restrictions simply means you cannot use convenient methods to teleport out of the zone, using recall spells or death - and not a restriction to using the doors to another zone.
That would be a rather odd setup, death should always be a possible means of teleport, and recall spells one would expect to be covered under general skill usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke_Nanbu View Post
also, since Building purchase is a new feature.There is no guarantee it haz new feature allow more contro

Not to mention, the guild room existed before the Catatrope so it follow the game rules and developers won't allow a guild master to trap players inside Guild room without good reason
That would be another plausible way of going about it. The problem again though is that it would need to be actually stated to close the plot hole.

Really, it'd be a relatively small plot hole pretty easily ignored, except I've encountered someone who ostensibly read the novels claiming that that Minori couldn't leave the guild hall because the guild master had set exit restrictions. Faced with the utter lack of evidence for such restrictions being in use or being a concern in escaping, he's turned towards vehemently claiming that buying the guild hall gave Shiroe the ability to override the setting on the individual guild halls, and thus he overrode the settings so that Minori could leave. So I'm trying to see if anyone knows anything that would definitively close the plot hole.
Old 2013-12-02, 17:27   Link #84
rcaladlr

I was disappointed that this line wasn't in the Episode:

Spoiler for Novel:
Old 2013-12-02, 18:46   Link #85
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Really, it'd be a relatively small plot hole pretty easily ignored, except I've encountered someone who ostensibly read the novels claiming that that Minori couldn't leave the guild hall because the guild master had set exit restrictions. Faced with the utter lack of evidence for such restrictions being in use or being a concern in escaping, he's turned towards vehemently claiming that buying the guild hall gave Shiroe the ability to override the setting on the individual guild halls, and thus he overrode the settings so that Minori could leave. So I'm trying to see if anyone knows anything that would definitively close the plot hole.
That's a blatant lie from the claimer. I read the novel and that didn't happen at all. Shiroe just bought the building and he could blacklist people so they can't access the bank.

Spoiler for novel comparison:

the whole exit/entrance restriction is really messing things up
Old 2013-12-02, 22:55   Link #86
DQueenie13

I think that whether or not Hamelin could set exit restrictions (and exit restrictions, like some other user said, might be to prevent players from using skills or items to leave an area) is aside from the point. They hadn't believed that anyone would actually try and break the kids out.

As stated before, they probably believed that keeping them in line with guards and beating them until near-death would be enough to keep the kids on a leash -- and it worked. Nobody else did anything either, for one of two reasons: either they couldn't find a reason or method to stop it (like Maryele, and Soujirou in his manga), or were intimidated by the groups buying the EXP Pots -- namely, the Black Sword Knights. Isaac was willing to use force to keep the flow of EXP Pots going, and he's not against PKing, whether he was personally against either of them or not. Considering that his only rival on the entire server is Krusty, who by-and-large was apathetic towards the state of Akiba prior to the Round Table Council, few people are willing to go up against him if it was in terms of waging war.

And like tsunade said above, it was never stated that Minori was given exit restrictions, at least not to my knowledge. Also, given what we know about Entry Restrictions, that would put it in direct conflict with Exit Restrictions if the latter could keep people from leaving a room, so I believe that Exit Restrictions simply prevent people from using spells or items to escape from an area.

If anything, you can try going on /a/ next weekend and hope that you're in time for the Q&A session with Mamare to ask the man himself. (Worry not, there will be translators.)
Old 2013-12-02, 23:31   Link #87
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
That would be a rather odd setup, death should always be a possible means of teleport, and recall spells one would expect to be covered under general skill usage.
Not at all, it'd be treating the zone like a dungeon.
In many games you can't just teleport out of it, and death simply spawns you at the entrance (which is how it works in Elder Tales too).
Old 2013-12-03, 04:38   Link #88
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
The thing with the restriction is definitely anime-only, but the intent was VERY clear even just by the episode alone.

To whit, Shiroe blacklisted every member of Hamelin that Akatsuki named from entering the guildhall premises... Which the hallway was part of. This meant that everyone from Hamelin that weren't the newbies couldn't step out of their guild zone at all. The only reason Shredder was able to do so was because he was the only one Akatsuki wasn't able to follow and name.

So yeah, the problem was with the presentation, which got people confused.
Old 2013-12-03, 07:36   Link #89
Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The thing with the restriction is definitely anime-only, but the intent was VERY clear even just by the episode alone.

To whit, Shiroe blacklisted every member of Hamelin that Akatsuki named from entering the guildhall premises... Which the hallway was part of. This meant that everyone from Hamelin that weren't the newbies couldn't step out of their guild zone at all. The only reason Shredder was able to do so was because he was the only one Akatsuki wasn't able to follow and name.

So yeah, the problem was with the presentation, which got people confused.
Checked the web version chaper 3.
Spoiler for chapter 3 reference:

So it isn't anime only. Though a number people came up with some good explanation to fill that plot hole

But I think death/call to home exit restriction would be for dungeons only and the setting wouldn't be available to players.
Old 2013-12-03, 09:19   Link #90
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

I think the simplest reason one can give here is that in the midst of all this excitement, the Hamelin boys forgot about blocking the twins from leaving their guild hall

Signature by liro
Old 2013-12-03, 11:32   Link #91
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
I think the simplest reason one can give here is that in the midst of all this excitement, the Hamelin boys forgot about blocking the twins from leaving their guild hall
This.
No need to think of any complicated plot holes when simple stupidity works just fine as explanation.
Old 2013-12-03, 11:49   Link #92
ACDNeo

Who owns the door Hamelin or Log Horizon?

Last edited by ACDNeo; 2013-12-03 at 12:01. Reason: capitals
Old 2013-12-03, 12:08   Link #93
Iamis

Both of them Own the door Hamelin holds the side with the guild hall and Shiroe owns the side in the guild building

I actually find it funny that Stupidity is actually a decent excuse in this case

I would post why in a spoiler tag but not sure if I could actually do so without being warned.
Old 2013-12-03, 13:05   Link #94
Ayulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Checked the web version chaper 3.
Spoiler for chapter 3 reference:

So it isn't anime only. Though a number people came up with some good explanation to fill that plot hole

But I think death/call to home exit restriction would be for dungeons only and the setting wouldn't be available to players.
But what if different different buildings had different restriction types.
Misc building (cathedral, Guild Building)
Guild hall
Area (cities, zones)
Old 2013-12-03, 13:09   Link #95
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamis View Post
Both of them Own the door Hamelin holds the side with the guild hall and Shiroe owns the side in the guild building

I actually find it funny that Stupidity is actually a decent excuse in this case

I would post why in a spoiler tag but not sure if I could actually do so without being warned.
never attribute malice where stupidity will do.

the hamlin group has shown to be vicious and petty but not smart.
Old 2013-12-03, 16:13   Link #96
Dark Wing

Well all in all even if it was for the greater good Shiroe has opened a huge can of worms. now that people know they can buy property whats stopping some wealthy nut job from buying property in some small remote NPC village and ruling it with an iron fist?
Old 2013-12-03, 16:39   Link #97
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well all in all even if it was for the greater good Shiroe has opened a huge can of worms. now that people know they can buy property whats stopping some wealthy nut job from buying property in some small remote NPC village and ruling it with an iron fist?
1. are property in NPC towns available for sale? Akiba is a player city different then a NPC town.
2. even if can buy it is cost prohibited if you don't have a way generating large amount of cash every month. The initial cost and monthly maintenance cost would be beyond most players.
3. the NPC can leave
Old 2013-12-03, 16:59   Link #98
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. are property in NPC towns available for sale? Akiba is a player city different then a NPC town.
2. even if can buy it is cost prohibited if you don't have a way generating large amount of cash every month. The initial cost and monthly maintenance cost would be beyond most players.
3. the NPC can leave
Yea, maybe that is a bit fare fetched...
Old 2013-12-04, 18:55   Link #99
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Holy crap, Shiroe made sure the law is absolutely followed.

Wish I had this guy in my DCUO raids .
Old 2013-12-05, 07:43   Link #100
Johaocarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Wish I had this guy in my DCUO raids .
He was probably raiding with Tea Party in Elder Tales games, so no time for play DCUO.

And you can see why he and Tea Party are pratically a legend between the veteran players....

The hacker ate my homework!
Closed Thread