AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > KanColle

Notices

Old 2015-01-22, 02:59   Link #921
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Episode 1 -> Episode 2 (weeks after the operation [though I'm surprise that she couldn't improve that fast....]) -> Episode 3 (day after Episode 3)

So it was quite a long time.....
Old 2015-01-22, 02:59   Link #922
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
so...any history expert that can predict see who they will sink next?
If any kind of prediction is made it would be helpful to know which operation's next. In any case, don't think they will go down the full history path. Otherwise by the end of the anime only like Nagato and Hibiki are left.
Old 2015-01-22, 03:01   Link #923
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
so...any history expert that can predict see who they will sink next?
I highly doubt they will 100% follow the history, but if I think about character traits and the follow-ups from this episode:

1. Mutsuki (death flag from this episode also from all the development)

2. Akagi (Death flags all over her due to OP, promotional poster, and type of character towards the MC)

That's all I got for now. Need to watch the anime more and see how the story will flow before seeing if other characters have death flag. Frankly speaking other than the two mentioned above, rest didn't get that much development to speculate who will die or is a candidate. Fubuki is exempted since she is the MC.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:02   Link #924
Poodicus
The One and Only

@Whitecloud

Depends if the Abyssal are supposed to be the Allied Forces, and despite them denying it, the creators showing their imperial-nationalist pride.

Other than that, it looks like the next battle would be the Battle of the Coral Sea that saw major Japanese casualties, resulting in the sinking of the "Shoho" light-aircraft carrier. Right after that was the Battle of Midway, would spell the beginning of the end of the Japanese Imperial powers in the Pacific, resulting with losing four of their major aircraft carriers (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Soryu) and one heavy cruiser (Mikuma).

Makes me wonder though, because it's obvious that they want to show other ships as well. Two I'm interested in are the German "Bismarck" and "Prinz Eugen" (The former being sunk pretty much 9 months after it was commissioned trying to break through the Atlantic Ocean and attack Allied ships by launching in Poland and going through the North Sea. The latter would survive the war, only to be used for Atomic Bomb testing and would capsize as a result.)
Poodicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:06   Link #925
rladls2121

But this episode is just too effective.
Kisaragi, the character, sinking is something the fans did not want.
Fans bad mouthing Admiral or the creator for this performance.
It greatly catches attentions to have interest in this series as a whole.
More people will grow into it, mostly in Japan.

Speaking of history, of course some people from the beginning suspects Japan is trying to show war in the Pacific is the right thing to do.
That's one of their ways of beautifying their country's militarism after all.
Just see the female characters, just because they are based on some battleship names.
Wait, are you kidding?
Are these females even human?
Is Admiral even human?
Are these females no different from the monster looking creature with big teeth?

The one biggest question is why World War II ships and planes of all things?
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:07   Link #926
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well I did say that a sinking would probably need to happen to secure the fact that the enemy is a real threat. If all the girls got was their clothing ripped and they sat in the bath for half a day or more to be fixed, than the enemy isn't a threat.

It is like having a villian that is suppose to be extremely dangerous and a murder yet never managed to kill anyone in a series. They are either always stopped, or just never manage to get far enough before the hero stops them in whatever plot they cooked up that week. It makes the hero look good, but also means the hero is never really in danger, nor is the villian all that threatening.

Now having the villian just up and kills someone that the audiance has at least some small attachment to in a sudden way, that makes the villian a threat and possibly put the hero's life in danger, even if you know there is really no way they would kill off the hero because it is an ongoing show. It makes it possible that others might die, and gives the hero motivation to stop the villian before they can kill more friends.

Having a shipgirl sink makes the threat to Fubuki and the others real. While Fubuki will probably be alright since it is her story (probably at least), it makes it so she has to make sure no one else gets sunk, and that should be hard. The enemy has taken over the seas and driven humanity from the water. The shipgirls are the only hope. Yet if the shipgirls were immune to sinking, than why would the enemy be a threat? They would be annoying, if they shredded clothing all the time and equipment needs repairs, but that isn't a threat. It is an inconvenience. So someone had to die to make it "real".
Old 2015-01-22, 03:09   Link #927
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 3:
Sad to see Kisaragi sunk unexpectedly... I guess Mutsuki will be devastated to hear that!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:13   Link #928
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i would say i was surprised but with all the death flags this episode had i didnt feel a thing lol
Old 2015-01-22, 03:13   Link #929
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodicus View Post
@Whitecloud

Depends if the Abyssal are supposed to be the Allied Forces, and despite them denying it, the creators showing their imperial-nationalist pride.
Aha, and where exactly? There is strong indication that at least some Abyssals are kanmusus. And I don't think imperialistic-nationalistic creators would make a girl say this:

Quote:
Right... If there can be another life for me after this one, I guess becoming something other than a warship wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Quote:
Other than that, it looks like the next battle would be the Battle of the Coral Sea that saw major Japanese casualties, resulting in the sinking of the "Shoho" light-aircraft carrier. Right after that was the Battle of Midway, would spell the beginning of the end of the Japanese Imperial powers in the Pacific, resulting with losing four of their major aircraft carriers (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Soryu) and one heavy cruiser (Mikuma).
We haven't had a Pearl Harbour. Shōhō and Mikuma in all likelihood aren't present in the anime.
Old 2015-01-22, 03:39   Link #930
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

In all honesty it wasn't Kisaragi's sinking that made me sad this episode. It was rather Mutsuki's ignorance of it and her hope in meeting Kisaragi again that was heartbreaking to watch.

Also, Akagi's Aesop lesson in this episode on paying back is so simply delivered, yet a very poignant one: it does in fact hurt to not have the chance to tell your loved ones what you wanted to say before it's too late, so better say it now than later.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:45   Link #931
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
People who are seeing nationalistic and imperialist undertones and every unfortunate implications that come with those need to rewatch the episodes and lighten up. There is no allusion to the Emperor or Glorious Nippon. History have been loosely used as plot devices for drama. Lighten up, sit back and watch.
Old 2015-01-22, 03:53   Link #932
rladls2121

But the red dots, the red dots on the airplanes!
It is just too easy to misunderstand.
Why this sickness of mine cannot be cured?

Is it because of Fubuki?
Fubuki's motivation of getting stronger, looking up to and admiring seniors, being uptight in a meeting.
No matter how I see it, it just gives me that kind of feeling im not supposed to feel.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:54   Link #933
Zangor17

oh god episode 5 is the battle of midway. im kinda scared.
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:56   Link #934
Poodicus
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Aha, and where exactly? There is strong indication that at least some Abyssals are kanmusus. And I don't think imperialistic-nationalistic creators would make a girl say this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
People who are seeing nationalistic and imperialist undertones and every unfortunate implications that come with those need to rewatch the episodes and lighten up. There is no allusion to the Emperor or Glorious Nippon. History have been loosely used as plot devices for drama. Lighten up, sit back and watch.
Oh, don't get me wrong (and I apologize if it came off this way), I'm simply saying that IF it was indeed going that way, and the creators of the anime were going the history route instead of focusing on making the game what it is (whatever that may be, never played it), then chances are it would possibly go that way (to a certain extent. If it was as Imperialistic-Nationalistic as people are implying, then chances are, NONE of the girls would sink, and the abyssals would show clearer signs of being Allied Forces).

That being said, I have said in another thread that I consider myself a historian before an anime fan, so for me, it feels kind of awkward watching a show about Japanese war ships, especially when some of those said ships were a result of America entering the war in the first place.

Now, if this was the "Barbarossa Card Game" that even Japan realized was a bad idea, THEN I would crapping all over it, and for good reason. As it turns out, this series is nowhere near that level (and quite thankfully so).
Poodicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 04:07   Link #935
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The basic problem with identifying if the Abyssals are Allied warships or not is that the locations picked for them are generally World War II operations that involved Allied ships. However the more humanoid Abyssals tend to resemble the Japanese based shipgirls that sunk in those battles rather than any Allied vessels (that tended to have not sunk in those battles). In the recent Midway based event, one of the bosses was based on a carrier. It was thought to have been Yorktown, but was probably based on Kaga, who was sunk there.

Historically speaking the next shipgirl to sink would be Kikuzuki which was another Mutsuki-class destroyer. Kikuzuki (who has not been show to be in the anime at this time) was torpedoed by aircraft from USS Yorktown in early May, at the start of Operation Mo, a few days before the Battle of the Coral Sea.

As for the red dot. It is on all Japanese military aircraft, even today. It is normal for a nation to have its insignia on their aircraft and sometimes ships. It isn't like this is an international force. This is a Japanese force.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2015-01-22 at 04:18.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 04:24   Link #936
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
I highly doubt they will 100% follow the history, but if I think about character traits and the follow-ups from this episode:

1. Mutsuki (death flag from this episode also from all the development)

2. Akagi (Death flags all over her due to OP, promotional poster, and type of character towards the MC)

That's all I got for now. Need to watch the anime more and see how the story will flow before seeing if other characters have death flag. Frankly speaking other than the two mentioned above, rest didn't get that much development to speculate who will die or is a candidate. Fubuki is exempted since she is the MC.
If the death flag on Akagi is true, then she would become Fubuki's Obi-Wan.

Btw, is the fallen ship turn into Abyssal real?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 04:33   Link #937
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's a leading theory for the meantime. It also suggests a much darker plot: that the girls are stuck in an endless cycle of becoming an Abyssal and becoming a Fleet Girl through reincarnation.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 04:36   Link #938
cloud04
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
That's a leading theory for the meantime. It also suggests a much darker plot: that the girls are stuck in an endless cycle of becoming an Abyssal and becoming a Fleet Girl through reincarnation.
oh those kinds of plots...the never ending cycle ones
Old 2015-01-22, 04:40   Link #939
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Btw, is the fallen ship turn into Abyssal real?
Never officially confirmed, but there are some indications. For example:

Harusame / Destroyer Hime

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, that's an insert song called 'Let's not say '"good-bye"'.
Did I get this right that the insert song is performed by a Kanmusu Special Fleet consisting of Akagi, Kaga, Zuikaku, Kongō, Shimakaze and Fubuki?
Old 2015-01-22, 04:48   Link #940
Enternal

Nooooooooo!!!!!

Then again, they just threw that flag all over the place. Still sad...

Anyway, this is quite a good episode as well. It may have started off slow but seems like we're getting a lot more serious now.

It's kind of funny but I never really was the type that is sensitive to so-called death flags. I mean, I did not even see it during Madoka. But this was so clear. Or perhaps I just finally gained the skills to see death flags...
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, drama, fleet girls, slice of life, tragedy