AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-05-07, 16:09   Link #901
Blonddude42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
The theory says that the brain receives information from the Pushion body, and it's just a theory anyway.

The Pushion body is the soul and without the brain there is nothing to transmit informations. I don't see why Tatsuya would be able to survive if his brain is destroyed, I say destroyed because behead him would not kill him. The MCA is a mental function of the brain, it's possible to alter it, Tatsuya Pushion Information Body is his soul, magic affecting souls are MI magic, Regrowth doesn't work with his soul, it works with his MCA, they can feel it when it's overloaded, feel it when it's heating etc. Regrowth doesn't work on his plane, if his brain is destroyed he would be unable to do anything. Tatsuya doesn't need to think for Regrowth to work, it's automatic, he can willfully stop it though if he is fast enough. If the MCA was the soul everyone would be magicians.
I might be remembering incorrectly but isn't it stated that magicians have no obvious physiological differences from normal humans? Which would mean that the MCA is not a part of the physical body. Or they just haven't found it yet.
Blonddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 16:34   Link #902
Clutchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
Tatsuya thinks that it's tiring/tiresome to use magic without a CAD. The difference is using the synthetic crystal of a CAD as the medium instead of the body. So I would suspect that the constant fighting with his Supernatural Powers was probably more the source of exhaustion than Self-Restoration--no mention of times used and there has been no indication of exhaustion from using it in the past, including Restoration of Miyuki, which was done without a CAD.
Well, in the first place him considering using magic without a CAD being tiresome can be taken in a multitude of ways, but you also have to keep in mind that he's accounting the upsides of the Loop Cast system. I can't really consider these words as being purely supportive of the statement that there's a significant difference in psion consumption. A difference in consumption might simply be one of the weighing factors, however relevant it may be.

Anyway the example was only brought up to demonstrate Tatsuya being pushed in terms of capacity.
The scenario we're talking about is; Tatsuya gets hit fatally -> Auto restoration activates -> Lina rearms Brionac, and fires -> Tatsuya gets hit again, and never has a chance to retaliate because A) Brionac is too fast, and B) When under such fire his entire MCA is overtaken by auto restoration.
What I was trying to get across in the last post was that as auto restoration does not use a CAD either. The fact that Tatsuya was being pushed in the Parasite incident, could be used as an example or reference in the scenario where we're looking at who would run out of psions earlier, Tatsuya, or Lina. Because the psion consumption is comparable. We have not seen Tatsuya extensively use Auto restoration, or even regular regrowth without CAD's, in terms of complexity, it should actually take more than decomposition, CAD or no. Tatsuya was mainly using a variation of Regrowth to fight the parasites anyway.

Quote:
Maybe. Considering that Self-Restoration happens faster than human cognition, and Tatsuya (or anyone else) is fully capable when Restored, it would depend on the ability of the opponent to react, both physically (e.g. re-aiming Brionac) and mentally.
This is why I mentioned that it's only true if the duel doesn't start at close proximities. At long range Lina should not have a problem reacting before Tatsuya is finished, nor does Tatsuya have a chance to activate Byron Lance.

Quote:
Whatever the scenario, I don't think that Tatsuya would leave too much up to chance. Even as much as he can empathize with or like Lina, his primary duty is to protect Miyuki. If he thought that Lina was really willing and intending to kill him, he would plan and act accordingly.
Yes, although we haven't really even looked at Parade and what effect it could have. Lina is not a good opponent for Tatsuya (nor for anyone) but if it came down to it Tatsuya would probably come out on top. Strictly in terms of power I give the match to Lina though. And with Byron Lance complete, Lina is the only character I'd give an edge or even a chance over Tatsuya.
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 16:38   Link #903
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonddude42 View Post
I might be remembering incorrectly but isn't it stated that magicians have no obvious physiological differences from normal humans? Which would mean that the MCA is not a part of the physical body. Or they just haven't found it yet.
It is not a part of the physical body, it manifests in the magician's brain only when they are attempting to use magic, only magicians have that mental function. It's possible to experiment on the MCA by experiences, what Miya can do with her magic is more unique but previous Yotsuba did experiment on the MCA, the other labs did as well, 10th lab for example altered their MCA in a way that it can be overclocked during certain circumstances, 3rd lab made their subjects able to cast more magic than the others, all the labs made experiments and created final products through things like that.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 16:41   Link #904
ProxyAccount

Quote:
The theory says that the brain receives information from the Pushion body, and it's just a theory anyway.

The Pushion body is the soul and without the brain there is nothing to transmit informations. I don't see why Tatsuya would be able to survive if his brain is destroyed, I say destroyed because behead him would not kill him. The MCA is a mental function of the brain, it's possible to alter it, Tatsuya Pushion Information Body is his soul, magic affecting souls are MI magic, Regrowth doesn't work with his soul, it works with his MCA, they can feel it when it's overloaded, feel it when it's heating etc. Regrowth doesn't work on his plane, if his brain is destroyed he would be unable to do anything. Tatsuya doesn't need to think for Regrowth to work, it's automatic, he can willfully stop it though if he is fast enough. If the MCA was the soul everyone would be magicians.
As stated, there is no indication of a physiological difference between Magician brains and Human brains. Only Parasite-infested hosts develop an anatomical structure alien to Humans. Activation Sequences go from the CAD to the MCA, which then constructs the Magic Sequence. No indication of interaction with the brain is stated. So I would suspect that the MCA resides in the spirit with quantum connections between the spiritual and the physical.
Quote:
It is not a part of the physical body, it manifests in the magician's brain only when they are attempting to use magic, only magicians have that mental function. It's possible to experiment on the MCA by experiences, what Miya can do with her magic is more unique but previous Yotsuba did experiment on the MCA, the other labs did as well, 10th lab for example altered their MCA in a way that it can be overclocked during certain circumstances, 3rd lab made their subjects able to cast more magic than the others, all the labs made experiments and created final products through things like that.
Mental Interference affects Pushion Information Bodies, which is why it can affect both thoughts and feelings. If magic does indeed originate from the Pushion Information Body, then it explains why the modifications to the MCA, including Tatsuya's artificial MCA, is only possible through magic that affects the PIB.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 17:01   Link #905
Echizen777

Quote:
Mental Interference affects Pushion Information Bodies, which is why it can affect both thoughts and feelings. If magic does indeed originate from the Pushion Information Body, then it explains why the modifications to the MCA, including Tatsuya's artificial MCA, is only possible through magic that affects the PIB.
They didn't say that magic comes from the PIB though, they were only talking about the PIB as the thinking core. Parasites work by parasiting the PIB, affecting the soul and with this they are able to possess a body, so Tatsuya needed a magic able to affect the soul, and he created Far Strike, magic is another thing entirely, Superpowers have been discovered by humans and then refined to create the Magic system. Altering the MCA doesn't necessarily mean that you are altering the soul, I mentioned the 10th and 3rd labs for example and the first Yotsuba, all the labs altered, strengthened, worked on the MCA but only Miya can alter mind functions with her innate magic. There are also Sorcery Boosters.
Old 2015-05-07, 18:05   Link #906
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchdog View Post
Well, in the first place him considering using magic without a CAD being tiresome can be taken in a multitude of ways, but you also have to keep in mind that he's accounting the upsides of the Loop Cast system. I can't really consider these words as being purely supportive of the statement that there's a significant difference in psion consumption. A difference in consumption might simply be one of the weighing factors, however relevant it may be.

Anyway the example was only brought up to demonstrate Tatsuya being pushed in terms of capacity.
The scenario we're talking about is; Tatsuya gets hit fatally -> Auto restoration activates -> Lina rearms Brionac, and fires -> Tatsuya gets hit again, and never has a chance to retaliate because A) Brionac is too fast, and B) When under such fire his entire MCA is overtaken by auto restoration.
What I was trying to get across in the last post was that as auto restoration does not use a CAD either. The fact that Tatsuya was being pushed in the Parasite incident, could be used as an example or reference in the scenario where we're looking at who would run out of psions earlier, Tatsuya, or Lina. Because the psion consumption is comparable. We have not seen Tatsuya extensively use Auto restoration, or even regular regrowth without CAD's, in terms of complexity, it should actually take more than decomposition, CAD or no. Tatsuya was mainly using a variation of Regrowth to fight the parasites anyway.
He was also using Supernatural Power to physically fight the Parasite Dolls. Tatsuya has been exhausted after randori against Yakumo and all the other students. I would attribute the physicality of the altercation more than Psion expenditure. After all, he's used more Psions blowing away a single spell of Masaki's with Gram Demolition, again and again, than most Magicians have available per day.
Quote:
This is why I mentioned that it's only true if the duel doesn't start at close proximities. At long range Lina should not have a problem reacting before Tatsuya is finished, nor does Tatsuya have a chance to activate Byron Lance.
Real combat is not a duel where both opponents wait for a signal to fire. If it's a real battle, I would expect Tatsuya to neutralize Lina before she can see him.
Quote:
Yes, although we haven't really even looked at Parade and what effect it could have.
None. It too fell to Tatsuya's Decomposition. Please don't bring up the horrible, inaccurate BT translation of Volume 11, chapter 13.
Quote:
Lina is not a good opponent for Tatsuya (nor for anyone) but if it came down to it Tatsuya would probably come out on top. Strictly in terms of power I give the match to Lina though. And with Byron Lance complete, Lina is the only character I'd give an edge or even a chance over Tatsuya.
If you want to compare absolute power, there is no question that Material Burst comes on top. There is no comparison. Both Brionac and Material Burst are beyond a duel. They would be used in all-out combat. By that measurement then, it takes a contrived situation to place Tatsuya in danger from Brionac.
Quote:
They didn't say that magic comes from the PIB though, they were only talking about the PIB as the thinking core. Parasites work by parasiting the PIB, affecting the soul and with this they are able to possess a body, so Tatsuya needed a magic able to affect the soul, and he created Far Strike, magic is another thing entirely, Superpowers have been discovered by humans and then refined to create the Magic system. Altering the MCA doesn't necessarily mean that you are altering the soul, I mentioned the 10th and 3rd labs for example and the first Yotsuba, all the labs altered, strengthened, worked on the MCA but only Miya can alter mind functions with her innate magic. There are also Sorcery Boosters.
Spoiler:

Pushion Information Bodies, whether human or "demon" are probably the source of magic.
Old 2015-05-07, 18:33   Link #907
Clutchdog

Quote:
He was also using Supernatural Power to physically fight the Parasite Dolls. Tatsuya has been exhausted after randori against Yakumo and all the other students. I would attribute the physicality of the altercation more than Psion expenditure. After all, he's used more Psions blowing away a single spell of Masaki's with Gram Demolition, again and again, than most Magicians have available per day.
So first you were saying how magic without CAD's is particularly taxing and the reason that he was tired but now you're changing your stance into "Tatsuya was physically exhausted"?
No, I doubt there would have been a problem if Tatsuya was simply physically tired. If only Tatsuya's physical condition drops below an optimal extent his regrowth will activate.

Quote:
Real combat is not a duel where both opponents wait for a signal to fire. If it's a real battle, I would expect Tatsuya to neutralize Lina before she can see him.
That is simply the optimal scenario for Tatsuya. And there isn't much use in discussing about it. Official matches are most likely something similar to what Tatsuya and Hattori/Tomitsuka had. And also quite likely how magicians generally decide on who's better in a 1v1 match.

Quote:
None. It too fell to Tatsuya's Decomposition. Please don't bring up the horrible, inaccurate BT translation of Volume 11, chapter 13.
Of course it has an effect, don't be ridiculous. Although Tatsuya has gotten used to it and has the potential to bypass it completely given enough time, it clearly comes into play in a fast paced magic battle.

Quote:
If you want to compare absolute power, there is no question that Material Burst comes on top. There is no comparison. Both Brionac and Material Burst are beyond a duel. They would be used in all-out combat. By that measurement then, it takes a contrived situation to place Tatsuya in danger from Brionac.
Well, Brionac is at least usable in an official match. MB isn't. This is why we aren't using MB, also it's still slower.
Old 2015-05-07, 19:01   Link #908
ProxyAccount

Quote:
So first you were saying how magic without CAD's is particularly taxing and the reason that he was tired but now you're changing your stance into "Tatsuya was physically exhausted"?
It never changed. There is no mention of Tatsuya being exhausted after the Parasite Dolls, only that he suffered tremendously during the fight. But if he was exhausted due to Psion expenditure, he was constantly expending Psions to keep up with the Parasite Dolls in CQB/CQC. If he was just exhausted, he just took on 16 Parasite Dolls in combat over the latter half of the Steeplechase course. When was he exhausted? Physically, after randori with his sensei and other students. Magically, when constantly training Far Strike or when creating his new magic. Constant exertion over hours.
Quote:
No, I doubt there would have been a problem if Tatsuya was simply physically tired. If only Tatsuya's physical condition drops below an optimal extent his regrowth will activate.
But the situation never got that bad during Steeplechase. And that was a dragged-out series of fights with multiple combatants, with a final 4-on-1 fight.
Quote:
That is simply the optimal scenario for Tatsuya. And there isn't much use in discussing about it. Official matches are most likely something similar to what Tatsuya and Hattori/Tomitsuka had. And also quite likely how magicians generally decide on who's better in a 1v1 match.
If we're dragging out SC magic, why deny usage of MD or MB while permitting Brionac?
Quote:
Of course it has an effect, don't be ridiculous. Although Tatsuya has gotten used to it and has the potential to bypass it completely given enough time, it clearly comes into play in a fast paced magic battle.
Not potential. A shot of Decomposition and it was gone. Against Trident... not a chance.
Quote:
Well, Brionac is at least usable in an official match. MB isn't. This is why we aren't using MB, also it's still slower.
A magic causing permanent injury is permissable? No. You're only considering Tatsuya's ability to avoid permanent injury in evaluating whether it can be used. High energy plasma isn't something you'd use in an official match.
Old 2015-05-07, 20:56   Link #909
Clutchdog

Quote:
It never changed. There is no mention of Tatsuya being exhausted after the Parasite Dolls, only that he suffered tremendously during the fight. But if he was exhausted due to Psion expenditure, he was constantly expending Psions to keep up with the Parasite Dolls in CQB/CQC. If he was just exhausted, he just took on 16 Parasite Dolls in combat over the latter half of the Steeplechase course. When was he exhausted? Physically, after randori with his sensei and other students. Magically, when constantly training Far Strike or when creating his new magic. Constant exertion over hours.
If there is no mention, I really have no idea what we've been going on about and why you brought all this up. I was just going by memory, I only have 3 volumes of Mahouka after BT took it down.

Quote:
But the situation never got that bad during Steeplechase. And that was a dragged-out series of fights with multiple combatants, with a final 4-on-1 fight.
Which is why it would be irrelevant.

Quote:
If we're dragging out SC magic, why deny usage of MD or MB while permitting Brionac?
It's a moot point. In an official match they'd both die if MB was used and it still slower than Brionac so the situation wouldn't even change.

Quote:
Not potential. A shot of Decomposition and it was gone. Against Trident... not a chance.
The problem is in targeting Lina directly, even if you decompose Parade, nothing is stopping Lina from casting simultaneously.

Quote:
A magic causing permanent injury is permissable? No. You're only considering Tatsuya's ability to avoid permanent injury in evaluating whether it can be used. High energy plasma isn't something you'd use in an official match.
No, I'm considering it as a tool that Lina has available to her that should be taken into account. Just like it was in their second match.
Old 2015-05-07, 22:37   Link #910
Armando99

Here is what is not being considered in a match between the two. Tatsuya is able to create new magic that can counter a magic he has seen or experienced. At the very least, he can break it down and analyze for it's weaknesses. Lina can't do neither of this things.

BTW, was Tatsuya still shielded in both of their match?
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 23:55   Link #911
ProxyAccount

Quote:
If there is no mention, I really have no idea what we've been going on about and why you brought all this up. I was just going by memory, I only have 3 volumes of Mahouka after BT took it down.
I too remembered something, but looking at the book, saw it was the pain that he was undergoing and only using partial restores, thus re-experiencing the pain all over again.
Quote:
Which is why it would be irrelevant.
It's relevant as a point of difference between Tatsuya and Lina. Lina blacked out from the pain from being shot by Tatsuya's Trident.
Quote:
It's a moot point. In an official match they'd both die if MB was used and it still slower than Brionac so the situation wouldn't even change.
Material Decomposition would injure/kill Lina, not Tatsuya. But the point is that neither would be permitted to use their most effective magic in an official match.
Quote:
The problem is in targeting Lina directly, even if you decompose Parade, nothing is stopping Lina from casting simultaneously.
Trident uses Loop Cast Decomposition, with consecutive Magic and Material Decomposition to neutralize a Magician's defenses and then Decompose them. Tatsuya purposely caused needle-like injuries to Lina.
Quote:
No, I'm considering it as a tool that Lina has available to her that should be taken into account. Just like it was in their second match.
If you're considering tools, why not consider experience and mindset as well? In a particular situation, Lina would win. But in what actually happened, Lina lost each time. And we haven't even considered Tatsuya going all out with his Supernatural Powers. (His having to hide his abilities is quite a handicap.)
Old 2015-05-08, 01:03   Link #912
Echizen777

Tatsuya was not hiding his abilities against Lina, he had not the luxury to do it. In their first fight he used Decompostion and injured himself just to be able to stop her. In their second he used all of this as well, he simply revealed nothing. With Brionac Lina is superior, it's because she had not the mindset of a soldier that she lost.

The fight against the Parasidolls in Volume 13 was difficult only because he could not just destroy them, there activation speed was another problem but if he had been allowed to destroy them it would have been considerably easy though Pixie's help can't be denied.

Quote:
Pushion Information Bodies, whether human or "demon" are probably the source of magic.
That's just a theory but again it's not related to the MCA, Parasites and Magicians don't use Magic or Superpowers the same way, Parasites have no MCA. They possess souls and can activate their powers just by thinking about it, the MCA is not in the soul or a part of the soul, it is a mental function which has been altered or strengthened by scientists, so destroying his brain would kill Tatsuya, because the MCA is not a part of the soul, to affect the soul MI magic is necessary. Now that I think about it, there were more details about the soul in one of Alchemist's summary, though I wonder if it should not be Pushion Body instead

Spoiler for Quote:
Old 2015-05-09, 16:01   Link #913
Clutchdog

Quote:
I too remembered something, but looking at the book, saw it was the pain that he was undergoing and only using partial restores, thus re-experiencing the pain all over again.
So then it's irrelevant and we have no reference.
Quote:
It's relevant as a point of difference between Tatsuya and Lina. Lina blacked out from the pain from being shot by Tatsuya's Trident.
I think you must have misunderstood somewhere. What I meant was that since Tatsuya's condition never got to that point, saying that he's physically tired doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Material Decomposition would injure/kill Lina, not Tatsuya. But the point is that neither would be permitted to use their most effective magic in an official match.
Material Burst? No, you can't really say that unless you're talking about extremely long distances. And you're still ignoring that Brionac is faster. It really doesn't matter.
Quote:
Trident uses Loop Cast Decomposition, with consecutive Magic and Material Decomposition to neutralize a Magician's defenses and then Decompose them. Tatsuya purposely caused needle-like injuries to Lina.
Exactly, which is why it's slower than simple decomposition. And which is why Lina will cast before him.
But the situation I was referring to was Tatsuya targeting Lina directly through Parade with ES.
Quote:
If you're considering tools, why not consider experience and mindset as well? In a particular situation, Lina would win. But in what actually happened, Lina lost each time. And we haven't even considered Tatsuya going all out with his Supernatural Powers. (His having to hide his abilities is quite a handicap.)
Simply because I'm not. As I said, I'm not talking about who would win if they fought in the story. I already told you who I think would win there.
Old 2015-05-09, 17:09   Link #914
expertsource

clutchdog, so do you know what is the new speed of tatsuya with his new magic baryon lance? i mean tatsuya's baryon lance vs lina's plasma with brioniac
expertsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 17:20   Link #915
Clutchdog

According to the spoilers I think it was 10,000 km/s, unlike HMB which travels at the speed of light. Since Tatsuya is using his artificial MCA he doesn't have enough power to make it reach that speed.
It's not that relevant though since the cast time as I understand it, is the same (due to the FAE theory, but none of the spoilers have confirmed this so far so it's just my guess.). But the problem is that it's a close range spell.
Old 2015-05-10, 04:18   Link #916
Armando99

Although we don't know really the detail of his new "Baryon Lance". Since it is based on FAE, there is a high likelihood that he designed it to counteract Lina's Brioniac. Why else would he design something based on that (FAE I mean).
Old 2015-05-10, 07:55   Link #917
Clutchdog

Doesn't he say that it's for opponents that Decomposition doesn't work on in volume 14 when discussing with Hayama?
Old 2015-05-10, 20:40   Link #918
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
Although we don't know really the detail of his new "Baryon Lance". Since it is based on FAE, there is a high likelihood that he designed it to counteract Lina's Brioniac. Why else would he design something based on that (FAE I mean).
Both brionic and Tatsuya's new magic make use of the FAE theory, that doesn't necessarily mean the magics themselves work in the same way. For example consider how many different applications there are for any piece of technology, electricity is used in countless appliances that are used for completely different purposes, both magics make use of the FAE theory but they don't necessarily apply it the same way. ( I'm not saying that they don't, just that the individual magic abilities shouldn't assumed to be the same simply because they both make use of FAE theory, Tatsuya's has obviously added his own touches to it.)
somerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 22:47   Link #919
Armando99

Quote:
Doesn't he say that it's for opponents that Decomposition doesn't work on in volume 14 when discussing with Hayama?
If I remember correctly, there was only one person that that applied to, right?
Old 2015-05-15, 01:20   Link #920
MRD143

2, Jumonji's Phalanx and the guy that is called Zero Range because he has contact Gram Dispersal.
MRD143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic awesome badass