AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-27, 14:23   Link #61
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Some of the recent posts have been deleted since they were both off-topic and inappropriate to the seriousness of the thread.

While some here might think it is funny to joke around, there are people actually dying over this outbreak of swine flu not to mention there are poeple posting that live in the areas effected.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 14:37   Link #62
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
For just a mere few days, the death toll in Mexico has rised over the double mark. It had spread to the United States, Canada, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, and there are some suspected cases in Germany, not mentioning that cases in other nations will start to appear soon enough.
Considering the stuff on the CDC site, its taken about a month to reach this level. So far, from what I recall, there is nothing here that ignores the standard models.

Quote:
Currently, it appears that there are no cure and neither is there a medicine that can delay the rates of fatality.
This is a viral infection, not a disease. There are a number of standard anti-viral drugs for the flu that can be administered that have been proven effective in labs. The mortality rate of the virus is completely dependent on what the treatment is.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 14:42   Link #63
Jill Valentine

Here's the World map of reported swine flu cases http://www.gulfnews.com/world/Other_.../10308104.html as i said the world is geting infected fast
and i don't think it will stop so easily

xris i am sorry i will try to not do that again
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 14:51   Link #64
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
damn O.ô
now i am afraid
Old 2009-04-27, 15:16   Link #65
Blaat

I admit reading the comments on BBC news website kind of spooked me of course I don't know whether or not the comments are true. As for the outbreak it self I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico was downplaying the severity of the entire situation, China did a similar thing during the SARS outbreak. I am also not surprised by the way the virus spreading (hitting western countries first) damn you tourists.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 15:19   Link #66
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Swine flu hits Manchester I hope there this doesnt affect us, I feel badly for those dying and suffering of this.

Quote:
The UK should expect to see cases of swine flu following the deadly outbreak in Mexico, health officials have said.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 18:54   Link #67
klowny
OH NO

I'm not worried about getting the flu but i am worried about my parents because they just went to Mexico today, so i'm more paranoid lately
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:01   Link #68
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
Here's the World map of reported swine flu cases http://www.gulfnews.com/world/Other_.../10308104.html as i said the world is geting infected fast

xris i am sorry i will try to not do that again
No cases in Asia so far, well good news for my families there. But worried about my families and friends in New York and the fact that it is pretty close to me.
Old 2009-04-27, 19:12   Link #69
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
The UK should expect to see cases of swine flu following the deadly outbreak in Mexico, health officials have said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Swine flu hits Manchester I hope there this doesnt affect us, I feel badly for those dying and suffering of this.
Confirmed now

Swine flu cases confirmed in UK
Nicola Sturgeon says the pair are recovering in a hospital in Airdrie
A couple admitted to a Scottish hospital after returning from a holiday in Mexico have been confirmed as the UK's first swine flu cases.

Quote:
Mexico: 26 confirmed cases (Mexico puts suspected deaths at 149)
United States: 40 confirmed cases
Canada: 6 confirmed cases
Spain: 1 confirmed case
UK: Scotland says tests confirm 2 cases
Israel, Brazil, Guatemala, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea: Suspected cases being tested
It's spread enough for the WHO to toss up another level now.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has raised its alert level over swine flu from three to four - two steps short of declaring a full pandemic.

I skimmed this thread in case someone else had posted a quick Q&A, but factual information usually helps to quell panic, so copying a few notes from BBC's compiled Swine flu 101.

Quote:
What is swine flu?
Swine flu is a respiratory disease which infects pigs.
Caused by influenza type A, there are regular outbreaks among herds of pigs, where the disease causes high levels of illness but is rarely fatal.
There are many types, and the infection is constantly changing.

Until now it has not normally infected humans, but the latest form clearly does, and can be spread from person to person - probably through coughing and sneezing.

How dangerous is it?
Symptoms of swine flu in humans appear to be similar to those produced by standard, seasonal flu.
These include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, chills and fatigue.
Most cases so far reported around the world appear to be mild, but in Mexico lives have been lost.

What measures can I take to prevent infection?
Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and who have fever and cough.
General infection control practices and good hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including the human swine influenza. This includes covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible and disposing of it promptly.

It is also important to wash your hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to face or to other people and cleaning hard surfaces like door handles frequently using a normal cleaning product.

Is it safe to eat pig meat?
Yes. There is no evidence that swine flu can be transmitted through eating meat from infected animals.
However, it is essential to cook meat properly. A temperature of 70C (158F) would be sure to kill the virus.

How worried should people be?
When any new strain of flu emerges that acquires the ability to pass from person to person, it is monitored very closely in case it has the potential to spark a pandemic.

What about treatments and vaccines?
The US authorities say that two drugs commonly used to treat flu, Tamiflu and Relenza, seem to be effective at treating cases that have occurred there so far. However, the drugs must be administered at an early stage to be effective.
Use of these drugs may also make it less likely that infected people will pass the virus on to others.
The UK Government already has a stockpile of around 33 million doses of Tamiflu, ordered as a precaution against a pandemic.
For more detailed info, check out here:
Latest News and Info on Swine Flu

In short, keep your hygiene sharp and take similar precautions as if you're trying to avoid catching colds and it should be fine.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-04-27 at 19:27.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:23   Link #70
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
No cases in Asia so far, well good news for my families there. But worried about my families and friends in New York and the fact that it is pretty close to me.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021827.stm

Quote:
Tests are also being carried out on individuals or groups in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Israel and South Korea who fell ill following travel to Mexico.
Unfortunately it may have spread to S Korea too.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:48   Link #71
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

if this turn into Captain Trips i am going to Vegas .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
I'm really confused about why this is killing so many people in Mexico, yet all the cases here in the States have been relatively mild and everyone has recovered or is expected to recover. Apparently Canada has confirmed four cases of swine flu as well, and it's the same thing -- all of them are described as very mild cases.
There are a lot of factors in regard to this but the major one is that the Americans who contract the Flu were mostly vacationers form well to do families. Despite all the Big Mac and junk food they eat, their bodies are healthy and well nourish and at the first sign of trouble went to the doctor. Unless i am mistaken the Mexicans who contract this disease at least initially are labors and farmers. They are less likely to be healthy and well nourish. They probably wait till the last minute to seek medical attentation.
Old 2009-04-27, 19:51   Link #72
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
Assuming that the map is near accurate, looks like it's far more serious than previously thought.
Now I know why some mexicans were angered when their health officials tried to downplay the incident.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:52   Link #73
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Assuming that the map is near accurate, looks like it's far more serious than previously thought.
Now I know why some mexicans were angered when their health officials tried to downplay the incident.

Might be time i stock up on some guns and survival gear
Old 2009-04-27, 19:57   Link #74
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Scaremongering! I just love it. Over here we're just getting out of the Dengue summer campaign of fear and now we get swine flu.

Yes, it's spreading. Yes, it can be fatal. But any sort of flu can be fatal--it's not just a strong cold as most people seem to believe. But that's no reason to get caught up in the fear worked up by the media and the government--and of course the laboratories behind the media and the government.

Take care of yourselves, wash your hands, don't poke your nose in strange places, and you'll be fine. And if even then you die, you were going to die whatever you did. No reason not to act intelligently and enjoy your life.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 19:58   Link #75
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
I'm going to be aware now since alot of places in North America are at risk to get it. Even Chicago. Chicago is getting prepared of the diseases and I hope none of my friends, acquitances and family members won't get it...... and I'm pretty worried about it too....
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:14   Link #76
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
But that's no reason to get caught up in the fear worked up by the media and the government--and of course the laboratories behind the media and the government.

Take care of yourselves, wash your hands, don't poke your nose in strange places, and you'll be fine. And if even then you die, you were going to die whatever you did. No reason not to act intelligently and enjoy your life.
Why we're not all going to die from Mexican Flu, by Drew Curtis age 7.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:25   Link #77
Shadow Kira01

Possible swine flu case reported in S. Korea: Yonhap

Quote:
SEOUL, April 28 KYODO

South Korea has confirmed a suspected case of swine flu among South Korean nationals just returned from a trip to Mexico, Yonhap News Agency reported Tuesday quoting a government official.

''A South Korean citizen who recently returned from a trip to Mexico has been classified as a possible swine flu patient,'' the official said on condition of anonymity, Yonhap reported.

The World Health Organization said Monday it has raised its alert level for a global flu pandemic to 4 from the current 3 due to the growing number of confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu in humans.

WHO took the action at an emergency meeting it convened earlier Monday in response to infections that left more than 140 people dead in Mexico, said Keiji Fukuda, WHO's acting assistant director general for health, at a news conference.

Outbreaks of swine flu in humans have been confirmed in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Britain and Spain.

==Kyodo
Korea is hit as well..

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-27 at 20:26. Reason: made it look better.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 21:01   Link #78
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Ouch... New Jersey already have 5 cases of Swine flu...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...N-9OQD97R4JFG2

I guess it's time to get a surgeons mask.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-27 at 21:18.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 22:17   Link #79
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Okay, I can see taht people is getting very scared.

First, let's cool our heads, as it was mentioned before, this virus attacks people which defenses are low, low= bad alimentation, lack of hygiene and few consume of vitamins, for example, here in Mexico mostly of the people infected are people from camp and rural. If you keep a good diet (fruits, vegetables, vitamins, etc...) and a hig Higyenic level, it is less probable to get infected.

Second, this sickness is curable if it is detected on time, from the 1300 (aprox) cases detected here in Mexico, a 60% of the people has been healed and are back in their homes.

Third, the cases that had appeared on other countries had are still in a very low number and nations are taking quick actions to prevent it for spred, take in mind that in all outbreaks, many people get infected fast, mostly because the sickness take the medicine authorities for surprise.

Four, please, stop saying stuff about "the world ending" or anything related, this isn't the first time something like this hapen, it has hapened before at much worse leves and we're still here, saying that this is the end of the world is an exhageration.

I'll point the symptoms again:

1) Strong Headache
2) Muscular pains
3) Constant fever over 38° and 42°
4) Strong irritation in the windpipe
5) Breathing dificulties
Old 2009-04-27, 22:28   Link #80
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Okay, I can see taht people is getting very scared.

First, let's cool our heads, as it was mentioned before, this virus attacks people which defenses are low, low= bad alimentation, lack of hygiene and few consume of vitamins, for example, here in Mexico mostly of the people infected are people from camp and rural. If you keep a good diet (fruits, vegetables, vitamins, etc...) and a hig Higyenic level, it is less probable to get infected.

Second, this sickness is curable if it is detected on time, from the 1300 (aprox) cases detected here in Mexico, a 60% of the people has been healed and are back in their homes.

Third, the cases that had appeared on other countries had are still in a very low number and nations are taking quick actions to prevent it for spred, take in mind that in all outbreaks, many people get infected fast, mostly because the sickness take the medicine authorities for surprise.

Four, please, stop saying stuff about "the world ending" or anything related, this isn't the first time something like this hapen, it has hapened before at much worse leves and we're still here, saying that this is the end of the world is an exhageration.

I'll point the symptoms again:

1) Strong Headache
2) Muscular pains
3) Constant fever over 38° and 42°
4) Strong irritation in the windpipe
5) Breathing dificulties
Thank you. Finally, someone else who sees this as it really is, just another flu spreading around. It hits hard in Mexico where the health care isn't as good and neither is the hygiene, but if you live in a developed country you don't need to worry. Heck, my sister is heading off to Mexico for vacation in a week.

This disease has really been blown out of proportion. Not to say that I don't appreciate the efforts to contain a virus that can kill, but people need to stop freaking out about this virus.
Edit: forgot to mention that keep getting listed as cases of Mexican swine flu deaths in Mexico often have not been confirmed at the time I am writing this edit.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote