Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-03-05, 07:07   Link #61
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
Yep, me too I loved the manga versions of Hime and Otome. Except for a couple of pages in the Mai Otome manga (where my favorite character dies like an idiot...) that I skip every time I re-read it. I'm such a fangirl XD

I've news for you, by the way. Check your PM. ^^
Your favourite character dies like an idiot? I wonder who could it be? LOL XD

The manga versions of Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome are totally different from their anime counterpart but that is what made them special you see. It gives the manga versions an alternate universe feel. But I know of people (especially from MAL) who dislike the manga versions for being different from the anime, thus making this gem somewhat underrated. But I love them all! In fact I love the whole franchise! I AM SUCH A FANBOY!!! XD
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 08:17   Link #62
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
Your favourite character dies like an idiot? I wonder who could it be? LOL XD
Nagi. Who was much more sadist and malevolent in the manga than in the anime and, yet, they had to redeem him through a trope (TakingTheBullet) that I've always hated. Especially when speaking of a character who was a total jerk few pages before

Yeah, the stories are different, but they give a different perspective of the characters sometimes even more interesting. The whole plot of the Mai Otome manga, for example, is much darker and adult, and I prefer it to the anime story... but for those two pages that I skip anyway XD
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 08:25   Link #63
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Nagi. Who was much more sadist and malevolent in the manga than in the anime and, yet, they had to redeem him through a trope (TakingTheBullet) that I've always hated. Especially when speaking of a character who was a total jerk few pages before

Yeah, the stories are different, but they give a different perspective of the characters sometimes even more interesting. The whole plot of the Mai Otome manga, for example, is much darker and adult, and I prefer it to the anime story... but for those two pages that I skip anyway XD
I guessed it was Nagi... I admit that I hated him in the beginning but when he sacrificed himself for Manshiro (who he still loves despite the revelation of his gender) I was sad. Much like you, I prefer the story for the manga version over the anime and it does explain on the history of the planet Earl. Plus the meister robes in the manga versions are awesome too! Also, I am glad to see THE Mai Tokiha in the manga, despite being the darker counterpart of her usual self. She seriously looks cool as Dark Mai~! ^0^
Old 2009-03-05, 08:40   Link #64
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

LOL! For me it was exactly the opposite. I still prefer the anime version of Nagi (more manipulative and funny and less sadist with creepy sexual fetishes), but it's so annoying when they completely revers a character through that sort of "heroic sacrifice" that every time I see this occur I cringe in pain. It's my problem, though. I hate what they did to the character of Darth Vader for the same reason. ^^

Dark Mai is just too cool! And I especially like the dark version of Akira. Isn't she sexy? XDD
Sergay and Mashiro make good villains, also. She should have been evil also in the anime. Eheh....
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 08:45   Link #65
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
LOL! For me it was exactly the opposite. I still prefer the anime version of Nagi (more manipulative and funny and less sadist with creepy sexual fetishes), but it's so annoying when they completely revers a character through that sort of "heroic sacrifice" that every time I see this occur I cringe in pain. It's my problem, though. I hate what they did to the character of Darth Vader for the same reason. ^^

Dark Mai is just too cool! And I especially like the dark version of Akira. Isn't she sexy? XDD
Sergay and Mashiro make good villains, also. She should have been evil also in the anime. Eheh....
I really liked the black version of the Fuka Academy uniform she wore. And Dark Kagutsuchi!!! OMG... that's something you don't see everyday! This incarnation of Mai is by far the most badass but I still prefer the original Mai~! <3

Sergey is an @$$hole in the manga and I hated him. But what makes a villian a true villian? When people hate him! ^_<
Old 2009-03-06, 19:16   Link #66
solarknight123

Yeah, I think dark mai in the MO manga was a good show of what mai would be like if she was really set on using her powers for pure fighting.
Old 2009-03-06, 19:31   Link #67
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
Yeah, I think dark mai in the MO manga was a good show of what mai would be like if she was really set on using her powers for pure fighting.
Mai is awesome in all her incarnations. Putting the original aside, this is the best one! The most powerful too, IMO! ;D
Old 2009-03-07, 10:20   Link #68
solarknight123

Quote:
Mai is awesome in all her incarnations. Putting the original aside, this is the best one! The most powerful too, IMO! ;D
That is so true
Old 2009-03-08, 21:27   Link #69
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
That is so true
Also... its not everyday that we get to see Mai being bitter and nihilistic. Keep in mind that it was her who brought destruction, mayhem and pain to Arika's home town and also wiped out an entire army with Dark Kagutsuchi. Dark Mai is the total opposite of what the original Mai is, which makes her a more interesting incarnation.
Old 2009-03-08, 22:21   Link #70
solarknight123

Quote:
Also... its not everyday that we get to see Mai being bitter and nihilistic. Keep in mind that it was her who brought destruction, mayhem and pain to Arika's home town and also wiped out an entire army with Dark Kagutsuchi. Dark Mai is the total opposite of what the original Mai is, which makes her a more interesting incarnation.
Yeah, I wish the manga could have gone more in depth with the HiME's history.
Old 2009-03-08, 22:54   Link #71
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Yeah, I wish the manga could have gone more in depth with the HiME's history.
Well... for one the manga is short (and sweet) with five volumes. I believe that the manga versions of Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome are connected and not to mention that the background behind the history of the planet Earl was explained in the manga. Even though it was brief, it does explain alot! ^^
Old 2009-03-09, 17:54   Link #72
solarknight123

Quote:
Well... for one the manga is short (and sweet) with five volumes. I believe that the manga versions of Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome are connected and not to mention that the background behind the history of the planet Earl was explained in the manga. Even though it was brief, it does explain alot! ^^
Yeah, I too think that the 2 manga series have a stronger connection than their anime counterparts. It would be easier to write a story connecting the 2
Old 2009-03-09, 19:30   Link #73
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

I agree with you on that one. The manga is more interesting and in-depth! ;D

But I have yet to find Mai-Otome Zwei manga on retail...
Old 2009-03-09, 20:07   Link #74
solarknight123

Quote:
I agree with you on that one. The manga is more interesting and in-depth! ;D

But I have yet to find Mai-Otome Zwei manga on retail...
Well i'm not as into the manga version of Mai-Hime as I am with it's anime counterpart, but i do have a better liking to the Mai-Otome's manga than it's anime counterpart. As for retail, I don't think we'll be seeing it in the states anytime soon.
Old 2009-03-09, 23:51   Link #75
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Well i'm not as into the manga version of Mai-Hime as I am with it's anime counterpart, but i do have a better liking to the Mai-Otome's manga than it's anime counterpart. As for retail, I don't think we'll be seeing it in the states anytime soon.
I'm living in Malaysia ;D

Also, I got volumes 1 to 4 of the Mai-Otome manga on retail and will be getting the 5th volume this weekend on my trip to Singapore! XD
Old 2009-03-09, 23:55   Link #76
solarknight123

Quote:
I'm living in Malaysia ;D

Also, I got volumes 1 to 4 of the Mai-Otome manga on retail and will be getting the 5th volume this weekend on my trip to Singapore! XD
Well I haven't see any signs of the zwei manga hitting the US as well and really don't think it'll be happing in a long time. I'm not sure if they've even released the Otome manga here, only the hime manga
Old 2009-03-10, 19:19   Link #77
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Well I haven't see any signs of the zwei manga hitting the US as well and really don't think it'll be happing in a long time. I'm not sure if they've even released the Otome manga here, only the hime manga
I never saw Mai-Otome Arashi and Mai-Otome Zwei on retail in Singapore either. But if they do sell Arashi or Zwei it would extend my collection of the franchise ;D
Old 2009-08-10, 17:23   Link #78
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Hmm, has no one scanlated this yet? I'll try to find a translator and see how it goes on from there, but I can't promise anything. :V

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 17:41   Link #79
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

You can find Mai-Otome Arashi on www.onemanga.com but not Mai-Otome Zwei manga though
Old 2009-08-10, 19:07   Link #80
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Er, yes, I meant Zwei. Sorry about that. ^^;

I'll ask him when he's not at university tonight if I see him. Are you patient enough for maybe one chapter every few weeks? Even if he translates it all in a week, it'd take me a while to clean/edit/typeset/QC and, well, this is more of a side project if anything....

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote